PDA

View Full Version : E-tec & OptiMax, tops for customer satisfaction for 2st DI

Jabba_
26-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Heres the full story.. http://powerboat.about.com/od/boat_tests/a/JDPow_07Engines.htm (http://powerboat.about.com/od/boat_tests/a/JDPow_07Engines.htm)

The Evinrude, E TEC and the Mercury, Optimax tied for first place in this category. If I was younger and had some money, I think that the DI (Direct Injection) 2-Stroke engine would be my choice. It’s lighter and far less complicated than its 4-Stroke counterpart. As I understand it, the emissions and fuel economy problems have been solved. Ease of starting and reliability ranked high in this segment for these engines. However, transmission problems and rough running were the negative issues for this category.

Spaniard_King
26-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Jabba, shoulda just posted the whole article so we could all have a read eh!

So, let’s take a look at the four marine engine types evaluated.
1. EFI Inboard Engines:
Pleasurecraft Engine Group (PCM) ranked # 1 for the second straight year with Indmar ranking second. Both of these manufacturers are relatively small when compared to the “Giants”, like Mercruiser and Volvo Penta. However, Pleasurecraft and Indmar appear to dominate the Water ski/ Wakeboard boat segment. The number one problem reported for this category was experiencing difficulty in starting the engine.
2. 4-Stroke EFI Outboard Engines:
Honda ranked number #1 for the third consecutive year, followed by Suzuki and Yamaha. I was somewhat surprised that Mercury’s Verado Four Stroke engines did not do as well as the three Japanese Engines. 4-Stroke EFI outboards received high marks for ease of starting and reliability. Engine stalling was the biggest problem reported in this category.
3. 2-Stroke DI Outboard Engines:
The Evinrude, E TEC and the Mercury, Optimax tied for first place in this category. If I was younger and had some money, I think that the DI (Direct Injection) 2-Stroke engine would be my choice. It’s lighter and far less complicated than its 4-Stroke counterpart. As I understand it, the emissions and fuel economy problems have been solved. Ease of starting and reliability ranked high in this segment for these engines. However, transmission problems and rough running were the negative issues for this category.
4. EFI Stern-drive Engines:
For the second straight year, MerCruiser ranked number one with Volvo Penta close behind. This segment received high marks for ease of starting. The way the transmission “clunks” when shifting gears and engine noise were the two biggest “bug-a-boo” problems reported.

Mac_Attack
26-02-2008, 06:32 PM
go 2-stroke!!!