PDA

View Full Version : Another silly Alvey thread.

oldboot
25-02-2008, 08:39 PM
You've baught 2 15 year old reels off ebay sight unseen except for the photo & description... the price isnt important

one is an an alvey and the ither is an egg beater.

Which one is likly work when you unpack it?

After an hours work and no spare parts whitch one will be best fit to fish with?

Which one can you still get spare parts for?

;D ;D ;D
cheers

Horse
25-02-2008, 09:05 PM
A lot of guys are saying that their new generation gear will last them a lifetime. I doubt that they will be using it when the next model comes out with an extra bearing and a molydenum rachet switch or something
The only reels from my youth that regularly see action are my Alveys. I have been down the Tackle Rat path and bought many reels worth more than a weeks wages only to see them quickly surpased by the mainstream offerings a few years later

I know which one I would want to take fishing

NAGG
25-02-2008, 10:18 PM
You've baught 2 15 year old reels off ebay sight unseen except for the photo & description... the price isnt important

one is an an alvey and the ither is an egg beater.

Which one is likly work when you unpack it?

After an hours work and no spare parts whitch one will be best fit to fish with?

Which one can you still get spare parts for?

;D ;D ;D
cheers

Yeh ..... you said it " Another Silly Alvey thread"

That the problem ...... you just cant get spares for those old Alveys!

Nagg

oldboot
25-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I've rebuilt quit a number of alvy reels of quite a variety of ages & only found 2 or three parts I couldnt get new...... those I made with some stanless wire & my pliers;D .

Hod do you go with a old egg beater::)

cheers

spears
25-02-2008, 10:40 PM
why do i feel iv'e been here before

Old boot are you by any chance sitting down by a river with a slack line feeling a bit board and thought i'll bring out the wireless laptop and start another alvey topic..LOL

GPB
26-02-2008, 07:02 AM
I've rebuilt quit a number of alvy reels of quite a variety of ages & only found 2 or three parts I couldnt get new...... those I made with some stanless wire & my pliers;D .

Hod do you go with a old egg beater::)

cheers

Easy, buy a new Stella, 'YES':thumbsup:
:laola:

oldboot
26-02-2008, 08:45 AM
why do i feel iv'e been here before

Old boot are you by any chance sitting down by a river with a slack line feeling a bit board and thought i'll bring out the wireless laptop and start another alvey topic..LOL

no I thaught there was one Alvey thread going..... thaught I'd start another one so we could all get it out of our system for a while;D

cheers

wayneoro
26-02-2008, 08:47 AM
pass pass pass please lol

GPB
26-02-2008, 09:18 AM
no I thaught there was one Alvey thread going..... thaught I'd start another one so we could all get it out of our system for a while;D

cheers

I thought I got the Alvey thing out of my system 20 years ago, now these threads are giving me 'flashbacks':freak: :helpa: :stupid:

FNQCairns
26-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I thought I got the Alvey thing out of my system 20 years ago, now these threads are giving me 'flashbacks':freak: :helpa: :stupid:

Old Alveys never die.....now where did I put the super trick Diawa Gold GS ???? eggbeater I bought 28 years ago :). Now that was a stellar reel at the time without a shadow of a doubt;D;D

cheers fnq

oldboot
26-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Even the memories of alvies just last & last.

;D ;D ;D

NAGG
26-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Even the memories of alvies just last & last.

;D ;D ;D

May they RIP!

spears
26-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Reel technology YEH right. Lets rock your boat……
Lets have a real world look at reels.Lets be honest and talk facts.

The alvey has had small upgrades but they still remain a centre pin reel which can be dunked and hold large amount of line.same working principle from day one..

Spinning reels have not changed from day one nor overheads.
Spinning reels = turn handle rotor spins.they have added new types of steel into the internal workings and charged extra $$ for it..

So what we have here are reels that have hit a wall.Small upgrades with fancy names but it all still works the same no mater what brand name..

Some will last a short time some will last a long time.
So being an alvey thread I see there advantage is the less moving parts the less wear the more reliable a reel equals an alvey.but they have there place for the type of fishing you doin.

Show me a reel that has no internal moving parts and I’ll call that advancement / technology.
Until then your all getting fooled by the manufacturers to upgrade.

4x4frog
26-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeh ..... you said it " Another Silly Alvey thread"

That the problem ...... you just cant get spares for those old Alveys!

Nagg
You are not looking under the right rocks my friend.
I am fairly sure you could get parts for the old reels if you took them to a reputable tackle store that isn't part of the 2 ring circus chains
I have 2 tackle stores within 10 minutes drive of me here that I think I could safely walk into with an old Alvey and walk out with the parts in my hand or on order

TonyM
26-02-2008, 11:34 AM
pass pass pass please lol

Me too! :-X

I thought we'd all gotten this out of our system! ;D

oldboot
26-02-2008, 12:06 PM
speaking of peace.

Ya know there is nothing quieter than a well lubed alvey running in fee spool....... untill you turn on the fish allert......now there is a man sized noise;D

How about these " new" bait runner type egg beaters... two drag systems.::)

A fully optioned alvey has always had two seperate drag systems..... three if you count palming the reel.
Of course that makes it the only reel that you can change the drag material at will while there is a fish on the line.
Skin, tshirt, trousers, towel, the wifes hat.;D ;D ;D

cheers

Jackinthebox
26-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Mate,

nothing can beat an alvey for feeding your big juicy beachworm to a touchy jew in a sandy rocky gutter off the walls/rocks. Espcially when they are finicky. Then you have the sheer winching power to stop the bastards before they bury you right at your feet. Alveys teach you more about drags and how to react quickly than any other reel.

The jack in my avatar was caught landbased in horrible country, so they do have a few big pluses. You wouldn't want to fish off the rocks with your nice stella would ya?

Granted, they do suck for some other types of fishing!

NAGG
26-02-2008, 05:27 PM
You are not looking under the right rocks my friend.
I am fairly sure you could get parts for the old reels if you took them to a reputable tackle store that isn't part of the 2 ring circus chains
I have 2 tackle stores within 10 minutes drive of me here that I think I could safely walk into with an old Alvey and walk out with the parts in my hand or on order

I was being facetious ;D

breamnut
26-02-2008, 06:17 PM
::)u cant tell them:-/

PinHead
26-02-2008, 06:41 PM
the Alvey has one huge advantage...none of that incessant "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" that seems very prevalent on here at times.

oldboot
26-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I was being facetious ;D

I didn't know you were roman;D

Tangles
26-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Horses for courses; tell me a better surf combo than a surf rod and an alvey, cant kill them, and it feels right when you load up the alveys on the 4wd going to straddie.
When going for a few whiting in the bay, have the alveys , mate i went fishing with couple weeks back thought that was high tech compared to handlines for whiting.

reckon its what works for you. But oldboot, i love those 'new' baitrunner's, and that tld, its all good;D

mike

4x4frog
27-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I was being facetious ;D
I wasn't sure Nagg, I am slow like that sometimes:-[
cheers mate;D

NAGG
27-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I wasn't sure Nagg, I am slow like that sometimes:-[
cheers mate;D

Sometimes we just get too serious ...... nice to have a laugh now & then?

Cheers

Nagg

Little grey men
27-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I'd say there'd be more life left in the Alvey... beautiful in there simplicity. :)

I'm going for an easy fish to Lake Kurwongbah on Saturday morning to bother some tilapia. Last night I was getting my gear ready and choosing a rod.
I decided on an old Jarvis Walker rod with an Alvey reel that I used when I was a kid, I can remember pulling whiting out of North Creek at Ballina when I was young with this old reel ( the reel was old then !!!) it's one of the groovy old brown bakerlite ones.
Saturday morning will be bare basics fishing, small hook with a worm on it under a float, using a reel thats over thirty years old that I still have confidence in.
Don't get me wrong...I love my high tech fishing toys but I can really appreciate something built tough.

rockfisho
27-02-2008, 04:22 PM
What can beat the alvey on the beach or rocks. The direct drive and very sensitive touch makes them a joy to use IMO, they also last forever and you can get spare parts for old models.
I prefer to be able to have more control, like extra palming, when im fishing of the beach or rocks.

Yes they arent that good for other styles of fishing, but hell, they weren't designed for it.

cheers

Owen