PDA

View Full Version : Tilt tube steering link arm

Lewy
25-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi,
I have just launched my boat after a year of part time work, and its is porpoising after getting up on the plane, the cavitation plate is about 15mm below the bottom of the transom so I am going to lift it up one hole (18mm). Hope this helps.
However the link arm on the steering will fowl on the under side of the deck around the well. Does any one know of a lower profile link arm. The motor is a 30hp 4stroke Yammy.

Regards

Lewy

BM
25-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Lewy,

Not that I am aware of. What you have is fairly low profile anyway.

Raising the engine isn't likely to help your porpoising. You have too much weight at the back of the boat. You need to shift some weight forward.

Cheers

Hebb
25-02-2008, 08:12 PM
You can mount a steering tube which eleminates need for link arm. Steering cable mounts into tube which is secured to transom and the pushes directly on pivot/steering point on motor eliminating the need for the steering cable/link to push right across into side of well. Had that problem with current boat and could not get full turn one way but installing tube has fixed it.

Noelm
26-02-2008, 07:34 AM
agree that the height will have very little to do with your problem (but it could), and on the steering can you just turn it upside down, and have it connected from the bottom?? before you go doing any major "surgery" try to raise the Motor first and see how you go, I think you may have more of a trim, loading or some other drama though.

FNQCairns
26-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Mi thought are a little different than above, raising the engine works well to negate porposing as it is a function of slip and grab at the prop, decreasing total drag gives the prop a fighting chance relative to before the lift.

If I have your link arm problem understood (dunno), you could set the outboard back a couple of inches, but then you would need to go up 2 holes instead of just one. There are so many variables but something always proves workable even if not greatly desirable from an aesthertic point of view. Love the wood on your boat.

cheers fnq

Noelm
26-02-2008, 10:13 AM
yes indeed a very low set Motor can cause some problems, but his is only 18 or 19MM so not a lot in it really, but it is a no cost easy to do test, so why not.

dnej
26-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Hebb,can you elaborate.Pic would be great
David

Hebb
26-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Picture of transom support mounting kit. Do a search on BLA's website for details and costing as there are various styles