PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of an old trailer

sunny
25-02-2008, 08:53 AM
The new trailer for the boat has finally arrived. Yippee ;D

Now I have the problem of what to do with the old one which is more than a little tired and probably not really suitable to sell as a second hand trailer.

Any ideas?

ovakil
25-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Put it on E-Bay,amazing what people will buy & pay for.
Or get a grinder cut it up & dump it.

dnej
25-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Any scrap metal place will take it.What brand is the new one.Perhaps you could carry the old one,to the yard ,with the new trailer.
David

wags on the water
25-02-2008, 09:16 AM
What condition are the wheels and axle in?? Any photos??
Could be good for spares or building a box trailer.

Cheers,
Wags

SeaHunt
25-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Just park it out the front, someone will steal it..... which is a sad reflection on todays society, but beats dragging it to the dump.
I had an old box trailer and really the only good thing on it was the axle, so I pumped up the tyres and parked it on the road up a bit from the front of the house.
I was hopeing the tyres would stay up long enough for someone to nick it ...... They did.

385EXPLORER
25-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey Sunny,How bad is it?How big is it?
My trailer is knackered,and I can't see myself buying anything decent for sometime(wife,mortgage,baby).I have a (you guessed it) 385 explorer that I can't get to the water! so if it works let us know.
cheers ben

Dirtysanchez
25-02-2008, 11:01 AM
You know a while ago someone actually did that, they parked their old clacked out trailer down by the ramp at Shorncliffe, and after a few days, someone nicked it.. Amazing stuff !! if it isn't tied down, it will be stolen.

sunny
25-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey Sunny,How bad is it?How big is it?

cheers ben

It's probably a bit big, the boat is a 520 haines. But I wouldn't recommend handing it on for further use. The trailer is pretty much beyond saving, I bought it second hand and I think its been around since about 1985.

The main reason I'm getting rid of it is the axle bar is starting to look less than healthy and if I look at that at the same time as the shot brakes, the crumbly wheel arches, etc ... you get the picture.

The wheels, rollers and lights are probabaly saveable. PM me if you are interested.

Either that, or I'll just park it in the car park at Scarborough for a while ;)

Dirtysanchez
25-02-2008, 01:40 PM
EEEK, what have I done ?? :o

3rd degree
25-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Very timely post.......

My old boat trailer (in fair condition) has been occupying space in the back yard for sometime.

Numerous people have told me they will take it off my hands and nothing happens.

Late last week I had a space issue and had to get rid of it. So I left it out on the roadside and within 24hrs she was gooone!

Cheers

Jim