PDA

View Full Version : Evenrude 4 Stroke Problems

robersl
24-02-2008, 05:16 PM
hI ALL
AS SOME MAY BE AWARE I GOT A SECOND HAND BOAT AND MOTOR A FEW WEEKS AGO AND HAD A FEW PROBLEMS WITH THE MOTOR THEN THINGS CAME RIGHT HOWEVER THEY HAVE STARTED AGAIN
LAST WEEKEND THE I STARTED THE MOTOR AND WARMED IT UP FOR A FEW MINUTES AS PER NORMAL HEADED OUT AND ONLY GOT 3000 REVS AFTER A FEW MINUTES IT CAME GOOD AND HAD FULL POWER AND NO MORE TROUBLES THIS MORNING GOT TO THE RAMP STARTED THE MOTOR IDLED THEN THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND ALARM RANG PLAYED AROUND A BIT A LOOKED AND TOUCHED THE THROTTLE AND LIGHT WENT OUT BUT ENGINE WAS IDLING ROUGH LIKE THE WEEK BEFORE HEADED OUT PAST THE LEADS AND ONLY WENT TO 3000 REVS NOT ENOUGH TO GET UP ON THE PLANE I CUT THE MOTOR PUMPED FUEL UP AGAIN STARTED THE MOTOR IDLE BUT WAS ROUGH GAVE IT A BIT MORE THROTTLE ROUGH FOR A WHILE THEN STATED TO IDLE NOT TO BAD MORE THROTTLE AND ROUGH THEN SETTLED DOWN THIS WENT ON FOR 15 MINUTES FINALLY STARTED TO HEAD BACK TO THE RAMP AND FELT THE MOTOR START TO SURGE SO PLAYED A BIT LONGER AND IT CAME GOOD FULL POWER AND NOT A PROBLEM FOR THE REST OF THE DAY AS PER NORMAL THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE MOTOR IS COLD ORIGINALLY THOUGHT IT WAS BAD OR STALE FUEL I HAVE BEEN USING PREIMUIM UNLEADED WE CHECKED THE FUEL FILTER TODAY NO JUNK IN THERE WE SEEM TO THINK IT MAY BE A ELECRICAL PROBLEM THAT COMES RIGHT WHEN THE MOTOR WARMS UP OR AND STICKING INJECTER PROBLEM AS IT GOES GREAT AFTER YOU GET IT GOING FOR THE DAY IF ANYONE KNOWS A GOOD MECHANIC THAT HAS A MACHINE FOR CHECKING THE COMPUTOR ON THESE EVENRUDES OR A GOOD MECHANIC THAT DOES NOT RIP YOU OFF WOULD LIKE AND NAMES AND NUMBER

SHANE

Jabba_
24-02-2008, 05:53 PM
It would help if we new were you live.. And your post would be easier to read if you use some punctuation, and not typed in CAPITALS.....

robersl
24-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Live At Caboolture And I Type In Caps As I Am Half Blind Sorry About The Fullstops An Comars Ect
Shane

Dan5
24-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Mate i had one of these engine's for 6 years with none of the drama's you are talking about,have you checked the fuel filter inside the engine?checked for fuel/air leak's,make sure that the fuel line has'nt collapsed on the inside(the liner),make sure of your volt's with a multi 14.5v or so should be max.It sound's like the engine it going into limp mode at 3000rpm to protect it or get you home.Plugging into the computer is not a be all end all for diagnostic it more or less just give's you a run down on hour's ,rpm,and alarm's etc it won't pick up everything mine had a stuffed reg/rectifier at about 3000hrs and set off a mystery alarm off which the computer never logged it was lucky i found it by acciedent.These engine's are usually very reliable and clock up large hrs i'm sure it's nothing major check all your electrical connection's they may be dry or corroded.A suzi or omc dealer will be able to plug it in to the laptop for you i'm sure they will be willing to help you out,if i think of anything else i'll send you a pm Good Luck Dan.........

screaming reels
24-02-2008, 06:35 PM
g'day robersl, mate have you checked your breather lines they must remain down hill all the way, sounds to me like it could be breather probs. thanks Brent

robersl
24-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Mate i had one of these engine's for 6 years with none of the drama's you are talking about,have you checked the fuel filter inside the engine?checked for fuel/air leak's,make sure that the fuel line has'nt collapsed on the inside(the liner),make sure of your volt's with a multi 14.5v or so should be max.It sound's like the engine it going into limp mode at 3000rpm to protect it or get you home.Plugging into the computer is not a be all end all for diagnostic it more or less just give's you a run down on hour's ,rpm,and alarm's etc it won't pick up everything mine had a stuffed reg/rectifier at about 3000hrs and set off a mystery alarm off which the computer never logged it was lucky i found it by acciedent.These engine's are usually very reliable and clock up large hrs i'm sure it's nothing major check all your electrical connection's they may be dry or corroded.A suzi or omc dealer will be able to plug it in to the laptop for you i'm sure they will be willing to help you out,if i think of anything else i'll send you a pm Good Luck Dan.........

Hi dan
we have had the fuel filter off. took the fuel line off the pump to check that there was no blockage and hand pumped any air out while we refilled the fuel filter by pumping up the bulb until fuel rushes out the pump . it does sound like limp mode but will kick into normal after it warms up only seems to do this if you do not use the boat for a week. it is getting plenty of fuel, air ect , once it is going for the day the motor is not a problem i dolike the motor it is just peeving me off with these antics if i can find a decent mechanic i will get it checked out

shane

tigermullet
24-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Your problem could be as simple as a spark plug breaking down. Had a similar problem with a Tohatsu but it was only those mongrel resistor type plugs. A change to NGK B7HS10 instead of BR7HS10 sorted that out.

I hope your problem is as easily fixed.

Dan5
24-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Shane,maybe something like the low oil sender could be crook or a temp sender you said check engine alarm?that's usually an oil issue i suppose you have checked that?I did have a low rev idle prob once due to crook plug's but only at idle and due to a navman fuel flo sender back draining the fuel,you don't have one of those fitted do you?Have you checked/changed the plug's?It could also be a faulty safty neutral switch as they are omc and are often dodgy.Do you run a proper fuel filter with water seperator?water does weird thing's on injected motor's.I know what you are saying about getting a good mechanic it's hard to find a good one that fix's stuff without spending a small fortune just trying thing's until something work's.Cheers Dan..........

hino310
24-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Speaking from experience with these engines,yep try a new set of sparkplugs,it may surprise you.

robersl
24-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Speaking from experience with these engines,yep try a new set of sparkplugs,it may surprise you.

hi hino and dan thanks for the feedback i will try a new set of plugs to see if that helps but would they cause what is happening rough then comes good and not miss a beat i would of thought faulty plug would stay faulty and not come good causing the motor to pick up but i am not mechanically minded so do not know

shane

Dan5
24-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Your right in saying that but if an insulator on the electrode is cracked or similar it may work intermitantly,but i don't think that this is the problem hopefully it is.I did get about 500/600hrs out of the plug's in mine without issue's but stranger thing's have happened.
Dan......

Jabba_
25-02-2008, 05:35 AM
hi hino and dan thanks for the feedback i will try a new set of plugs to see if that helps but would they cause what is happening rough then comes good and not miss a beat i would of thought faulty plug would stay faulty and not come good causing the motor to pick up but i am not mechanically minded so do not know

shane
Yes spark plugs can cause those symptoms...... Also the spark plug gap can be critical.
So when you go and get your plugs, ask the person your buying them of to check the spec's for your motor and gap your plugs accordingly....

lethal098
25-02-2008, 08:57 AM
shane, river city marine at brekkie creek 3262 7666. talk to mick or peter they should be able to look after you, what model engine is it, i have had minor issues with mine but been able to solve these on my own.
lee

Pual44
25-02-2008, 05:30 PM
G'day,

I have had problems with a Johnson 4 stroke due to water causing rust in the

filter and both going into the motor. What a mess.

Fuel pump s##t itself. Got that cleaned up and then it would not rev over 5000.

Turned out the injectors needed cleaning and since then everything has been

great.

It was doing some weird things while all this was going on. Like kicking over as

clean as a whistle but would not rev over 3000. Like someone mentioned before

like it was in 'limp mode'. Pumping the primer while it was like this would only

make it run rough. The first few times I would be running at 3500 and it would

slowly start to slow down thinking it was the throttle easing off I would push it

forward only to have it grumble at me. I would then stp to see if something was

around the leg. The first time I found this tilting actually improved things and

rightly it may have been moving the sludge (which is pretty much what it was)

and allowing fuel to get through for a while anyway.

The mechanic that fixed all my dramas was Alan Downes of Downes marine at

Albion. Check him out.

Hope you get the problem sorted out its a real pain when you loose faith in your

motor.

Cheers

robersl
25-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys at least i have something to work on it is a 70 hp 2000 model with about 100hrs i will gwt the plugs and try if that does not work will try and get it to a mechanis but this only happens when not used for a week or so

shane

BILLY THE KID
25-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys at least i have something to work on it is a 70 hp 2000 model with about 100hrs i will gwt the plugs and try if that does not work will try and get it to a mechanis but this only happens when not used for a week or so

shane

same as this one (E70 PL4SS)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/billythakid666/Haines_470_Breeze_th05.jpg

change plugs and while your at it check the green 30 amp fuse hasnt got any corrosion on it . the are on the starboard side of engine in the top closest to the transom side

if its the same model i have the operator manual here beside me ;D

robersl
25-02-2008, 08:50 PM
same as this one (E70 PL4SS)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/billythakid666/Haines_470_Breeze_th05.jpg

change plugs and while your at it check the green 30 amp fuse hasnt got any corrosion on it . the are on the starboard side of engine in the top closest to the transom side

if its the same model i have the operator manual here beside me ;D
Hi billy the kid
yep it looks like that i have the manual have you had the same problems with the motor if so did changing the fuse and plugs help

shane

BILLY THE KID
26-02-2008, 03:52 AM
no havent had any dramas yet with the outboard , 106 hrs . sticking power trim down relay is the only thing . runs quiet and smooth everytime

i did have a low oil light come on once after a fly home from peel is running the weather , it come on when we dropped it off the plane coming into the ramp ???
oil was full , think it shifted away from sensor on the powerdown .

awesome fuel economy from it , 60ltr under floor tank :-*

Wello > huybers > st helena > back to huybers> over to horseshoe > back to wello ramp 1/8th of a tank used on the gauge;D

robersl
26-02-2008, 06:22 PM
no havent had any dramas yet with the outboard , 106 hrs . sticking power trim down relay is the only thing . runs quiet and smooth everytime

i did have a low oil light come on once after a fly home from peel is running the weather , it come on when we dropped it off the plane coming into the ramp ???
oil was full , think it shifted away from sensor on the powerdown .

awesome fuel economy from it , 60ltr under floor tank :-*

Wello > huybers > st helena > back to huybers> over to horseshoe > back to wello ramp 1/8th of a tank used on the gauge;D
hey billy i am happy with my tank as well went from bribie to cape moreton into bulwer cowan drifting motoring back to to start of drift for a few hours cowan back to bulwer and then back to bribie on about 28 ltr of fuel had an extra 20 in the boat spare

shane