PDA

View Full Version : VMR Jacobs Flare Day

dnej
24-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I am trying to organise a flare day at Jocobs Well VMR.

Any one interested in physically using a flare or two,could you indicate here,and then send me a PM.

Seems even the officers would like to do the same thing also,as most have not had the opportunity either.
Regards David

dnej
24-02-2008, 10:08 PM
No one interested to set off some old flares??
David

seatime
25-02-2008, 06:41 AM
G'day David,

sounds like a top idea for those boaties who haven't fired off a distress flare before.
there's bound to be people who collect expired flares, why wait until you're tanked on new year's and run the risk of a fire, injury, or a hoax distress alert when they can be tested in a controlled and authorised environment.
better still let off in-date flares and compare them with some old flares.

cheers
Steve

Poodroo
25-02-2008, 07:03 AM
I have some ancient flares. Would they still be safe to set off? Will they still work? I think they are like 6 or so years past their use by date. Originally came with #2 when I first purchased her. I am interested in coming along if nothing else to dispose of them.

Poodroo

dnej
25-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Poodroo,yes ,worth the exercise.I am told,they will still work.
Steve,have you had the opportunity.I was surprised the VMR has officers,who havent had the chance. Sandgate VMR,run days apparently.
Regards David

dnej
25-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Have four starter so far.

Get it " four starters" ( LOL)
So we are off and running.
David

sheridan
25-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi David
I have a pack of 3 out of date 2003 would be interested if Iam avaliable depends on what day it is

dnej
26-02-2008, 02:03 AM
Not sure of dates as yet.Waiting on VMR for details
David

lowlux
26-02-2008, 01:03 PM
hello i would be interested in going to a flare day as am only new to boating and would like to see how they work and learn the correct way to use them

dnej
26-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Getting somewhere now.Any boaties wanting to get rid of your old flares,maybe a donation of flares,would be in order,if you dont want to give it a go yourself.
David

seatime
26-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Steve,have you had the opportunity.I was surprised the VMR has officers,who havent had the chance. Sandgate VMR,run days apparently.
Regards David

Hi David, yes, I've let off a red handheld and orange smoke flare before, not in a distress situation though thankfully. It's surprising the quantity of smoke from the red flare, they'd work OK in daylight too if an orange smoke flare wasn't available for any reason. They get quite hot also. I'm not sure if a parachute flare could be made available for a demo?? many years ago at a flare demo on the Goldy an inexperienced operator let off a parachute flare with it pointing towards the sand - it ricocheted off the sand and injured a spectator in the chest :(

cheers
Steve

dnej
26-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Steve,Did you note the lad wanting to do the licence test?
I asked about parachute flares,and that was a definite no. I must say,I could not light a flare in the dark.I have never had one out of the waterproof bag.
David
Regards David

Twisted_Pair
26-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I would certainly be interested, thanks T_P

disorderly
26-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Good onya david.
The last thing anyone needs in an emergency situation is to have to read the instructions.
I'd also recommend that you include a demonstration of the proper use of a fire extinguisher as you would be surprised how few people have had to use these in an emergency situation.
Just make it in the evening as the flares look much better at night.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

dnej
26-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Great Idea Scott.Should be able to get the fire brigade to do that one
David

grey_inflatable
26-02-2008, 10:01 PM
count me in,,, ill have to take my anti dog flares out of the pram and off the pushy thanks VMR

P.S please not on the 24 April weekend as takeing the mother in law 4wdriving to moreton. good luck organising i,t a rafle or a dontion for the flare keen ones to use them.Iin the name of saftey would be good to raise money and then those who can give more hopefully will give to your great organisation

PinHead
27-02-2008, 04:20 AM
I would be interested in that

bennykenny
27-02-2008, 07:23 AM
sounds like a good day not sure if id be able to make it as i work weekends but i have some old flares that i would donate to the cause if you need them let me know

station-rat
27-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Please add my name to the list
Thanks
Station-rat

dnej
28-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Just waiting on Sandgate VMR to talk to me,so I can see what they do,then I will tidy it up with Jacobs well VMR.
Will try to do a daylight one,and a night one,( Flares)as well as fire extinguisher use.
Any suppliers out there want to jump in here,give me a PM.
David

Morlers
29-02-2008, 10:07 PM
David

You will need to apply to MSQ for authority for the flare demo and notify the Police, Fire & Rescue, Qld Boating & Fisheries Patrol, and Aust Maritime Safety Authy. Also you will need to place an advert in Public Notices of time for the demo. You don't want a flare sighting false alarm with subsequent activation of emergency services.

Morlers

dnej
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks Morlers,
I have been in contact with one department,so far,to get details.Sandgate VMR have responded now.Just waiting on VMR Jacobs Well to get discussions going.There are other issues as well
Regards David
Thanks again

Surething1974
02-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Count me in, I am a newbie and have hung around a few nebie boaties to understand that you should go an leanr these things and not have a complete disregard for some of the things that might save you one day.

Surething...

reelchippy
08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Im in dave Jacobs well VMR. for me or VP

Donny Boy
22-03-2008, 10:50 AM
G'day David,
I'm a newbie, but I'll be in it too if it hasn't happened already.
I've inherited some OLD ( 2002 expiry) flares that need a home or a bin or maybe to be set off if they're still OK.
I'll keep watching.

Ooroo,

Alex9797
24-03-2008, 12:01 AM
yep,

count me in. I have a few packs of expired flares that am happy to donate. Would be good practice to use the things instead of moving them out of the way to get to the pliers etc.

Actualy have just bought a grab bag which makes far more sense than having the flares kicking around my tools. Happy to go to sandgate or jacobs well.

great idea

:)

cheers

Alex

Giffo7
24-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Great idea David ,post the date and and i will come with some old flares !

Cheers
Giffo

dnej
26-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Talk about a slow boat to China.I am waiting on approval from the flare suppliers.
David

Poodroo
15-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Talk about a slow boat to China.I am waiting on approval from the flare suppliers.
David

David at this rate my new flares will be expired as well. Lol ;D

Poodroo

dnej
18-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Have had a response at last,to letting off the old flares,and I am working my way through the turmoil of red tape.Didnt think it would be this difficult.
Back soon
David

QF3 MROCP
18-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Have had a response at last,to letting off the old flares,and I am working my way through the turmoil of red tape.Didnt think it would be this difficult.
Back soon
David

Dave.. Worth giving the Commanders of AVCG Brisbane and Redcliffe.. flare events are conducted for new members as part of their induction and I remember it is a bucket full of red tape. More like a 44 gallon drum.

The last I knew you had to advise:

Brisbane Port Authority
AMSA
AusSAR
Civil Aviation
Brisbane Airport
Local Fire Brigade
Ambo's
Water Police
Major Airlines - Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin

Then ensure your participants are inducted and trained to use the flare to cover your VMR insurance public liability policy....

AND I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE ALL THINKING.., I'M JUST THE MESSENGER!!

dnej
18-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks.Walking down that track now,but I had to wait for the flare people.
Lot more behind the scenes,as well.
I will give them a call though.I have been working with authorities to date
David

QF3 MROCP
18-04-2008, 09:42 PM
might be worth doing a fire extinguisher demo with local support from the fire brigade on the same day.. Contact Wormald and they may give you some demo units to play with along with plenty of handouts.

tigermullet
19-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Lots and lots of red tape alright.

But would you really have to advise the major airlines? I thought civil aviation would have taken care of that via a NOTAM otherwise you would have to also advise 'Uncle Joe's Flying Academy' based at ... because what say you fired a flare straight through the wing of of an aircraft piloted by a trainee.

They get scared enough without having blazing balls of fire ripping past them.

Older pilots might think they are back over the Mekong Delta and start dropping things on your head.;D

QF3 MROCP
19-04-2008, 10:16 PM
tigermullet, you may be right with the airlines, though we should inform the Channel 7 helicopter.. who's that song go again?..

tigermullet
20-04-2008, 07:10 AM
tigermullet, you may be right with the airlines, though we should inform the Channel 7 helicopter.. who's that song go again?..

Haha! That was so very good. Perfect 'come-back'.;D;D

Smacka14
14-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Depending on the day, I would be interested too. I have some out of date.

runci
27-05-2008, 11:25 AM
i know its only a small thing but they dont say it on the pack

WEAR GLOVES THESE THINGS BURN

i know you wouldnt normall in an emergency but for the demonstration purposes it helps

Donny Boy
07-06-2008, 04:54 AM
What's the latest on this ?????
Had any luck with getting thru all the red tape ????

IRMC000
30-06-2008, 07:49 PM
A Great Idea - depending on the day I will seriously consider coming down - 3 hour round trip for me.
Is it worth making this a sticky thread until it goes off?
R

IRMC000
02-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Dnej
Any thoughts about if we are tossing away our flares that a supplier maybe on site selling new ones at a cheaper rate?
Just a thought?
R

Outsider1
03-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Notice to Mariners out today on 3 upcoming Flare demonstration events around Brisbane. See copy of notices below.

Cheers

Dave

dnej
06-07-2008, 10:39 AM
OK,
The flare company will not authorise us to use out of date flares.

They will entertain helping us with new flares,for the field day,and this I have yet to work out with them.
So what ever happens,they will not allow the use of out of date flares.

The day is not lost however,I just have to work out some pricing.I will get back to you.
Perhaps we might also be able to purchase at the right price,for later use.Dont know about that one yet.
Regards David

oldboot
10-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Any news on this one.
cheers