PDA

View Full Version : Seafarer Appreciation thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jabba_
24-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi guys... I a Seafarer Appreciation thread on another forum and thought it would be good to have it on this site also...
I know there are quiet a few Seafarers on Ausfish, and I also know there's never an unhappy Seafarer owner...

So if you have Seafarer, show your boat here, along with a bit of info about it.....

This is my pride and joy. Seafarer "Vermont" 5.9m, match with a 2007 250 E-tec..
Great as a social boat, and equally as good as a deep sea fisher... Top speed thus far 60mph GPS on smooth water, and it runs easily at 45mph into a lumpy 2.5mt swell...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/Boating%20camping%20and%20fising/31-03-07_0902.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/Boating%20camping%20and%20fising/0701010001.jpg
Half way home from St Bee's and Keswick
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/Boating%20camping%20and%20fising/0706290133.jpg

tin can marlin
24-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Mate that is a smart looking boat how old is the hull. And i don't own a seafarer but i know they have a great name, do you think they will lose there finsh now thay are being built by the hains group.
Cheers mark

Jabba_
24-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks Tin can.... The Hull is a 2004

Quality will be the same as it was when Lindsay owned Seafarer... If you didnt already know, Lindsay has stayed on with Seafarer as the #1 IC for the Seafarer for the next 5 years, and a option to stay a further 5 if Lindsay choses to. Off coarse he now answers to Greg Hains. But Hainsy bought Seafarer because they are such a bloody well built and designed boat, and he intends to keep that way... At this present moment Lindsay is designing some new decks for the Seafarer range, and they will be built with the same proven technique that Lindsay has developed throughout his years....

ColacGirl
24-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi Jabba_
We love our Seafarer :)
We love her so much we spent 6 months rebuilding and regelcoating her after a white ant invasion.
She a Ventura 17.... not sure of her exact age, but she's somewhere around 30 years young

Before the rebuild (photo taken January 06)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/BevB2u/Play-Pen/PlayPen_sunrise-1.jpg

After the rebuild (photo taken June 06)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/BevB2u/Play-Pen/2006_0624_playpen_crusoe.jpg

Fathers Day 2007
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/BevB2u/Play-Pen/2007_0902FathersDay20070008.jpg

--
Bev

Jabba_
26-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Nice Restoration job Bev

Jabba_
26-02-2008, 04:59 PM
This is my favorite Seafarer model.. Viper 6.8m
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/Boating%20camping%20and%20fising/cid_image001_jpg01C87840.jpg

Shagga
26-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Jabba, I have never seen the Vermont before is there much room in the cabin?

Jabba_
26-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Jabba, I have never seen the Vermont before is there much room in the cabin?

The cabin bunks are 7ft long, and I have slept over night a few times now. There is very little height if your 6.1ft like myself..

Chimo
26-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Shagga

No doubt Jabba will get back to you on this but may I suggest that just based on you AF tag the Vermont was made for you........

Large cabin deck hatch (with hatch adjusted)
Fully carpet-lined cabin
7'0" bunks with cloth covered cushions with storage under
Filler cushion between bunks
Cloth covered upholstered cabin shelves

Full cabin bulkheads with Bi-fold aluminium and perspex door and removable companionway hatch

Cheers
Chimo
PS they are certainly better length bunks than in the Vagabond which is really only for people about 5 feet tall.

Jabba_
26-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi Shagga

No doubt Jabba will get back to you on this but may I suggest that just based on you AF tag the Vermont was made for you........

Large cabin deck hatch (with hatch adjusted)
Fully carpet-lined cabin
7'0" bunks with cloth covered cushions with storage under
Filler cushion between bunks
Cloth covered upholstered cabin shelves

Full cabin bulkheads with Bi-fold aluminium and perspex door and removable companionway hatch

Cheers
Chimo
Yes there certainly is enough room in there to have a shag...

Hey Chimo, when are we going to see your Seafarer

Smithy
26-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Bonehead the Vagabond I have fished in at Cooktown and Port Stephens. Originally with twin 115 Ocean Pros now with a 200HO ETec. These are probably Wayne's shot of it from Couran Cove.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/boats/Seafarers/bonehead1.jpg

Skirt Chaser the Viking I used to fish in. It now has a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. It did have an Ocean Pro as well.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/boats/Seafarers/jasonmarlincloser.jpg

Chimo
26-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi Smithy

How did the Vag perform after the change from the two 115 Ocean Pros to the 200 HO Etec?

Did the spray dodgers do anything? I rarely get spray there on mine.

Cheers
Chimo

Smithy
26-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Ocean Pros were crap. Stalling all the time and all that stuff that goes with old technology 2s. One was running hot so we had the other flatout all the time and limp mode on the hot one. The Etec was more refined with better cables and stuff so chalk and cheese.

Spray dodgers were for trolling. The flap across the middle saved getting fully wet heaps.

Wahoo
27-02-2008, 06:35 PM
very nice boats Jabba, the 6.8 Viper is a boat i would not knock back,

Daz

Smithy
28-02-2008, 02:20 PM
I would knock a Viper and a Voyager back. How would you like a little man throwing buckets of water in your face all day long when it got a bit rougher? Cabin boats are the only way to go once you get older.

Wahoo
28-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Cabin boats are the only way to go once you get older.

until then Smithy, that boat will do me just fine, thats why i had a Center console built and not a cab boat, cabin boat is a waste of space for my type of fishing

Daz

Smithy
01-03-2008, 01:20 PM
There is also the safety aspect to consider. They are sometimes called Seaspearers. I know I punched out the spray dodgers on my 702 Haines Signature at least 3 times in 5 weeks in Cooktown in the FNQ chop that develops into a short sharp swell. My part owner in it nearly lost it one day in Bribie Passage in a wind against tide situation filling it to level with the outboard. Luckily it kept going. I would never own anything but a cabin boat ever again. Everything I have heard about the big Seafarers from past owners paints the picture they they are worse. Have a read of Greg's comments on the last page of this. I couldn't second his thoughts more on walkarounds versus full cuddys or half cabins.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=124086&page=3

nobody
01-03-2008, 07:20 PM
jabba, have you ever felt unsafe in your seaferar.especially at high speed cruise.45 knts+

i know its going to be a good response.

cheers

Jabba_
01-03-2008, 10:14 PM
jabba, have you ever felt unsafe in your seaferar.especially at high speed cruise.45 knts+

i know its going to be a good response.

cheersIn flat water, never.... Doing 45 into a 2.5m swell, yes I was nerveous at first, and then I got the feel for it...

How about you come out with me and you can get first hand experience for yourself.... This offer is for real.

tin can marlin
01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi jabba the only boat that i know can handle biger seas is the allisons but the seafarer runs second.

sleepygreg
02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Are you guys smokin the wacky backy??? I dont ever want to be in ANY boat doing 45 knots in a 2.5 metre swell unless the swell has at least 50 metres between crests, and that doesnt happen often.

Greg

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi greg i know were your coming from any boat is not got in 50 knots what boat have you got. Regards marks

sleepygreg
02-03-2008, 02:07 AM
boat i fish out of is a 2400 Kevlacat.....does 42 knots WOT. I think some ppl confuse Knots with KPH and MPH. There is a big difference.

Those that dont and travel at those speeds..............I will keep my eyes on the obituaries columns.

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 02:16 AM
I can see why you can fish in bad weather the cats can calve up big seas go the cats.

Jabba_
02-03-2008, 05:02 AM
boat i fish out of is a 2400 Kevlacat.....does 42 knots WOT. I think some ppl confuse Knots with KPH and MPH. There is a big difference.

Those that dont and travel at those speeds..............I will keep my eyes on the obituaries columns.
If you read my first post it states, 45mph into a lumpy 2.5m swell, I cruise between 30-35mph..... Yeah, my balls were up in my mouth when I first opened up the throttle.... My main fear was if I got air and a chop smacked the stern, I would come down bow first and nose dive...... As it happened I only got prop vent twice, and it was only for a fraction of a second each time..... Interestingly the ride a 45mph was smoother then it was at 35mph...

Also my definition off lumpy is a chop that is left over from the day before...

Fish Guts
02-03-2008, 10:37 AM
is that a 2.5mm chop on the broadwater jabba or 2.5 metre swell. i cant take you seriously. i dont know if you know how big 2.5 metres of swell is, but you surely wont be going 45 miles per hour into it with your boat, for long anyway.

Jabba_
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
is that a 2.5mm chop on the broadwater jabba or 2.5 metre swell. i cant take you seriously. i dont know if you know how big 2.5 metres of swell is, but you surely wont be going 45 miles per hour into it with your boat, for long anyway.
Whatever mate, but maybe if I was in Edancraft I could.

ozscott
02-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Jabba - nice looking rig. I will be sticking some photos in due course in the SF thread you started of me old Vagabond. Roughly how far was the gap between the peaks of the swell?

Fish Guts
02-03-2008, 11:20 AM
uss kittyhawk more like it

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Good one fish guts i like it

disorderly
02-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Good one fish guts i like it

TCM,he's just jealous of the motor on the back of Jabba's boat.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Fish Guts
02-03-2008, 11:44 AM
your going to have to put more bait out than that mate

nobody
02-03-2008, 11:48 AM
jabba,Are those photos taken on the way back from saint bees.Your boat looks like its going fast even on the trailer.I will come for a run with you one day.Have you got seat belts in it.It sure is a boat that looks like it could eat up big distances quickly.Any way a very nice rig.

cheers

OceanSpirit
02-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi Guys,

We recently acquired our fourth Seafarer built by Lindsay Fry (one of the last)- a 5.9Mtr Vermont fitted with a 2008 Evinrude E-TEC 200H.O. running a 19" Viper propeller, fitted out with Furuno Electronics. It is a brilliant all-round fishing and family boat.

Two years ago, I acquired an original 1969 Seafarer 4.2Mtr Ventura (originally red) that I went about carrying out a full restoration on, from the trailer up. It is now fitted with a late model Johnson 35 3-Cylinder, set-up for estuary fishing, crabbing and cruising. A great, solid, stable little boat.

I know the Seafarer product very well and having ridden in V-Sea's, Vamps, Vikings, Vegas, Victory's, Vagabond's and Voyager's, along with many other locally built boats, love the quality of the Seafarer product!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/cornish01/NoosaSummerHoliday2007-08068.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/cornish01/Waitangi.jpg

Outsider1
02-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Those are a couple of very nice rigs you have there OceanSpirit.

I have never owned a Seafarer, but my father has had a Viking for many years. You have to admire how well they are built and they seem to stand up to the tests of time.

I presently have a Cruise Craft, another great brand, but would happily consider a Seafarer if I ever decided to change my rig.

Are they the best boat?; as some others have point out in various posts, there is no such thing as a best boat or motor etc etc , it all depends on your circumstances and needs at the time. All boats are a compromise in the end.

But the things that I really like about the brand name boats like Seafarers, are that you can see where the money has gone in the quality, they seem to handle the test of time as I have said, and they give you a feeling of security when you use them.

But the clincher to me is that they retain their value very well, are sought after by other boaties and generally easy to sell when the time comes. A 10 to 15 year old Seafarer will still bring similar money to what it originally cost if it has been kept in any half decent way since new. Of course Seafarers are not on their lonesome but it is still a fairly small and elite group of Aussie brands that have stood the test of time in the same way.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and details of your rigs with us. Always a pleasure to see a quality rig that is well set up and the owner(s) have obvious pride in their boats.

Cheers

Dave

OPTI
02-03-2008, 12:34 PM
sweet looking boat andrew,bet it goes great,of cause it would look and go better with a merc on the back.lol8-)

Vic1
03-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Another Seafarer for the site. This ones a 2003 Vamp. Nice boat for chasing tuna and macs in, a little cold in winter though......

Am thinking of changing boat to a cabin though......looking at the Aqualite range (basically a better looking Stabicraft) from NZ. A little safer for offshore work and a little shade for the kids

onerabbit
03-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Some great rigs there guys,

Jabba,
top looking boat, an interesting comparison to my early 80's 5.25 Vermont.

She might not be the prettiest boat at the ramp these days,
but as a sea boat, I wouldn't swap her for any other.

All the original timbers have been replaced with marine ply, new floors with 3/4" marine ply instead of masonite, same with the side pockets, as well as a "you beaut" new transom.
As you could imagine, this has added a lot of weight, but it has just made a great boat even better, she always did have good manners at sea, but now the ride is even better, she tends to spear across the top of swells now with less bump.
The Merc 115 carb feed 2 stroke, suits her down to the ground, heaps of grunt for bar crossings, & can push her at 50 knts (miles/ p/h) in the river with little trouble.

I have full trust in my old girl, enough to venture out to the shelf when we can (23miles east of Ballina),
we have hit Sunfish in her,
nearly rolled on the bar during a sea rescue,
& been literally run into by a pro crab boat 12 miles to sea in her,
& I wouldnt part with her for the world.

Who loves their Seafarer???..................I DO

Muzz

Jabba_
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
jabba,Are those photos taken on the way back from saint bees.Your boat looks like its going fast even on the trailer.I will come for a run with you one day.Have you got seat belts in it.It sure is a boat that looks like it could eat up big distances quickly.Any way a very nice rig.

cheers

Yeah mate, that's St Bee's... I was up there last July 2007... Mackay is great place, and those islands are amazing. The farthest I ventured out was to the power pole near Calder.... Prick off a ride back home in 25kn winds... I would love to visit again...

nobody
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
jabba, all those things you said about getting better the harder you pushed her were true...........read this review.

Here’s a new recipe for the Aussie boating scene. Take Lindsay Fry’s tried and true 5.9m Seafarer hull, finished in either bright yellow or red gelcoat; give it a runabout layout with a low profile double bed cabin; and strap 200hp of Evinrude grunt on its transom and what do you get? An exhilarating day boat that can handle just about anything Sydney Harbour can throw at it at speeds that’ll blow you away.

And don’t be mislead into thinking Sydney Harbour is just a sheltered waterway. Have you ever seen the amazing television pictures of Sydney ferries battling 5m swells inside the harbour? It can get pretty rough out there. Seafarer’s 5.9m hull is a true deep-vee bluewater hull and she performs as such, it’s only this boat’s internal layout that makes her different from her offshore brothers.

She has an overall length of 6.45m (21’ 2”) — including the swim platform — a beam of 2.4m (7’ 9”); has a hull weight of 900kg; and an extremely sharp deadrise at the transom of 21 degrees. With a fine entry she cuts through swells and chop, while her large down-turned chines ensure she tracks straight when underway and is stable at rest. Out on the water this boat is a real hoon machine. It’s a hoot to drive, has power to burn and has the ride and smooth water handling of a performance ski boat, but this Seafarer has another ace up her sleeve — she can also deliver high speed performance and handling in rough and choppy water.

In fact, as the Modern Boating team found out during this test, the best way to drive this hull in choppy water is hard. She literally sliced through the swells without and delivered a surprisingly smooth and dry ride. Because the hull is designed in a runabout configuration and the low forward cabin sits under the foredeck, the boat retains a low profile making it extremely aerodynamic. The curved and raked one-piece windscreen allows for an even better airflow over the cockpit, which reduced drag even further. The first part of this test was conducted on a windless morning on the upper reaches of the Parramatta River, where the water was glassy smooth.

In those conditions we were able to run the boat flat strap with complete safety. With the hull trimmed right out, so the boat was running with only the transom in the water, the Vermont hit 49.6 knots at 5500rpm. She was literally dancing on her chines. And that was only the test boat. The camera boat was the same hull fitted with a 250hp Evinrude and she was to be honest, a little twitchy, in a fun kind of way. The team agreed the 250hp engine might be a bit of an overkill, especially when you consider the hull has a maximum power rating of 225hp. Other speed-to-rpm readings were: 7.2 knots at 2000rpm; 8.9 knots at 2500rpm; 15.5 knots at 3000rpm; 28.5 knots at 3500rpm; 34.5 knots at 4000rpm; 39.9 knots at 4500rpm, and 49.6 knots at 5500rpm.

That was in calm water, but later that day in choppy water out on Sydney Harbour the boat performed equally well. The harder we pushed her through the chop the better she liked it and the better the ride. The boat handled tight turns at speed, in both choppy and smooth water easily, without tail slippage or the steering feeling heavy during recovery. High gunwales give the skipper and passengers a sense of security during high-speed cornering, while the wrap-around windscreen forced the airstream up and over the cockpit, so even those on the rear lounge don’t get ruffled. From a personal perspective, I wasn’t overly rapt in the colour of the two hulls, but the boat’s top performance more than compensated for any problems I might have with colours. ...........................WOW

pursuit001
04-03-2008, 08:04 PM
hi guys some very appealing boats there ocean spirit also 2 great looking boats love the little tiller great job on the restoration looks great myself ive 2 seafarers cant rember the models off the top of my head one was a 17ft/6 and the other a 16ft both great boats offshore and inshore .
cheers shane

Jabba_
05-03-2008, 05:45 AM
jabba, all those things you said about getting better the harder you pushed her were true...........read this review.

Here’s a new recipe for the Aussie boating scene. Take Lindsay Fry’s tried and true 5.9m Seafarer hull, finished in either bright yellow or red gelcoat; give it a runabout layout with a low profile double bed cabin; and strap 200hp of Evinrude grunt on its transom and what do you get? An exhilarating day boat that can handle just about anything Sydney Harbour can throw at it at speeds that’ll blow you away.

And don’t be mislead into thinking Sydney Harbour is just a sheltered waterway. Have you ever seen the amazing television pictures of Sydney ferries battling 5m swells inside the harbour? It can get pretty rough out there. Seafarer’s 5.9m hull is a true deep-vee bluewater hull and she performs as such, it’s only this boat’s internal layout that makes her different from her offshore brothers.

She has an overall length of 6.45m (21’ 2”) — including the swim platform — a beam of 2.4m (7’ 9”); has a hull weight of 900kg; and an extremely sharp deadrise at the transom of 21 degrees. With a fine entry she cuts through swells and chop, while her large down-turned chines ensure she tracks straight when underway and is stable at rest. Out on the water this boat is a real hoon machine. It’s a hoot to drive, has power to burn and has the ride and smooth water handling of a performance ski boat, but this Seafarer has another ace up her sleeve — she can also deliver high speed performance and handling in rough and choppy water.

In fact, as the Modern Boating team found out during this test, the best way to drive this hull in choppy water is hard. She literally sliced through the swells without and delivered a surprisingly smooth and dry ride. Because the hull is designed in a runabout configuration and the low forward cabin sits under the foredeck, the boat retains a low profile making it extremely aerodynamic. The curved and raked one-piece windscreen allows for an even better airflow over the cockpit, which reduced drag even further. The first part of this test was conducted on a windless morning on the upper reaches of the Parramatta River, where the water was glassy smooth.

In those conditions we were able to run the boat flat strap with complete safety. With the hull trimmed right out, so the boat was running with only the transom in the water, the Vermont hit 49.6 knots at 5500rpm. She was literally dancing on her chines. And that was only the test boat. The camera boat was the same hull fitted with a 250hp Evinrude and she was to be honest, a little twitchy, in a fun kind of way. The team agreed the 250hp engine might be a bit of an overkill, especially when you consider the hull has a maximum power rating of 225hp. Other speed-to-rpm readings were: 7.2 knots at 2000rpm; 8.9 knots at 2500rpm; 15.5 knots at 3000rpm; 28.5 knots at 3500rpm; 34.5 knots at 4000rpm; 39.9 knots at 4500rpm, and 49.6 knots at 5500rpm.

That was in calm water, but later that day in choppy water out on Sydney Harbour the boat performed equally well. The harder we pushed her through the chop the better she liked it and the better the ride. The boat handled tight turns at speed, in both choppy and smooth water easily, without tail slippage or the steering feeling heavy during recovery. High gunwales give the skipper and passengers a sense of security during high-speed cornering, while the wrap-around windscreen forced the airstream up and over the cockpit, so even those on the rear lounge don’t get ruffled. From a personal perspective, I wasn’t overly rapt in the colour of the two hulls, but the boat’s top performance more than compensated for any problems I might have with colours. ...........................WOW

Thanks for that Nobody, that test review is extreamly accurite... Do you have a link to were you found it....

That Yellow Vermont in the test review. It is a good chance that is the very boat I have today.... I asked lindsay when I bought mine, how many coloured Vermonts he made.... There are 2 yellow, 1 red and 1 Ford blue... Also sold though F1 Marine....

chop duster
05-03-2008, 11:06 AM
"extremely" sharp deadrise at the transom of 21 degrees

hahaha, might go hand in hand with the other exagerations within that article. Sorry had to say it!

nobody
05-03-2008, 05:30 PM
jabba the link is
http://www.modernboating.com.au/boat_tests/boat_tests/full/225/Seafarer-Vermont-59
or go to modern boating /boat test ...Your right edencraft 223 has made it to no one on google....One last question..What is a chop duster?

cheers

Noiseworks
08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi everyone, some nice boats being posted. I've newly acquired an old 4.75 V-Sea and so far have been more than happy with it. It's fitted with a 97 Johnson 70hp 2 stroke that seems to be well suited. A question that i have is if it is possible to fit an in floor fuel tank up front to counteract my big ass. It would have to be at least 70 capacity. Has anyone done this, and what suggestions have you in regards to moving the tank forward.

Ta Noiseworks

TimiBoy
09-05-2008, 05:46 AM
I very nearly bought a Seafarer, and spent my time wishing they would introduce a boat to compete with the Cruisecraft 685 Outsider feature wise more closely. The Vagabond came soooo close. But I guess it's not a huge market at that size, and there are a few boats there already...

I also got my back up when a dealer (to remain nameless) told me I was stupid to want to put a Verado on a Seafarer.:-/ Ran the Merc down, and gave me Salesmanspeak responses every time I asked about their preferred power plant - you guessed it, E-TEC!;D

ozscott
09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Been meaning to post this pics for a while...finally got to it. My old Vag - built like a brick shitter. Since photos I have got rid of the light board and welded on outriggers to the trailer with submersalights. Love the old girl. Goes like a wounded cat despite the 21 degree V and a 115 Yammy.

philpy
09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
hey guys i the old man once own a 1985 18" ventura called polaris just woundering if anyone nows of its were abouts would like to know how its going

Jabba_
19-07-2008, 04:40 PM
A few new pic's taken last week......

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/Boating%20camping%20and%20fising/Adayfishing005.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/Boating%20camping%20and%20fising/Adayfishing004.jpg

ozscott
19-07-2008, 05:01 PM
nice shots Jabba

Captain Seaweed
20-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Hello Guys,
This is my Vag with twin 115 ocean pros. So far reliable but like any 2 stroke do foul a little. Anyway great boat handles well.
Marty

Chimo
20-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Marty

No pics at this end?
What props are you running and when do you get fouling?

Jabba
Great shots of the GC Bass Boat !

Cheers
Chimo

Captain Seaweed
20-07-2008, 07:59 PM
15 pitch props not anti fouling. I will repost pictures.

Chimo
20-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Marty
15 pitch? what dia and what breed?

I thought you said your spark plugs fouled and i wondered when that happened?

Cheers
Chimo

Captain Seaweed
20-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Sorry here they are:
2000 Seafarer Vagabond
twin 115
JRC FF60
Lowrance 8200

Captain Seaweed
20-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey Chimo, Sorry misled you 17 pitch props . I spoke to you about them a while ago. I have the old 21's cleaned and ready to sell. I dropped to 17s and find them more suitable to my needs. Motor sometime fouls when you idle or putt around for fish and then kill the motor for 15 mins and try to fire up again. Sometimes they wont fire up on first turn. No big deal though.
Marty

roz
20-07-2008, 10:59 PM
My Seafarer VC.

I've owned this boat for over 16 years. The transom has been replaced and I've recently had new steering cables, helm etc put in.

Should be good for another 20 years.

I can't see myself ever parting with my VC, unbeatable in it's size imo.

r.

ozscott
21-07-2008, 02:03 PM
nice boats fellas.

Here are some more pics of my old girl. She has some interesting lines for a 1970s era boat. Check out the chines and also all the moulding details in the side pic

Ocean_Spirit
25-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Any other owners out there with shots?

boatboy50
26-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey Guys,

I too joined the Seafarer Club recently.

One of the reasons I invested in a Seafarer is because I used to work for them in the period my boat was built. I know exactly how well they are built and finished, and had no hesitation when this one popped up for the right price. It will last for a very long time with simple routine maintenance. This boat now looks like the day it rolled out of the factory, ten years on.

One thing I have noted is just how dry the 6.0 Victory is. It is by far the driest 6.0m boat I have ever been in, and I have owned and been in a lot of them. The great soft ride is another huge attraction.

Regards

Darren

boatboy50
26-10-2008, 04:14 PM
And I thought this may interest some.

A rare shot of a 1995 Seafarer Victory 5.9, and a 1998 Seafarer Victory 6.0 side by side.

The differences are clear to see.

Regards

Darren

Jabba_
26-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey Guys,

One of the reasons I invested in a Seafarer is because I used to work for them in the period my boat was built. I know exactly how well they are built and finished, and had no hesitation when this one popped up for the right price. It will last for a very long time with simple routine maintenance. This boat now looks like the day it rolled out of the factory, ten years on.

One thing I have noted is just how dry the 6.0 Victory is. It is by far the driest 6.0m boat I have ever been in, and I have owned and been in a lot of them. The great soft ride is another huge attraction.

Regards

Darren

Beautiful boat Darren,,, I'll be going for a Victory next time round... No complaints about the Vermont, but I would like a bit more standing room for fishing, and the Victory fits the bill perfectly....

I have not sean a Victory fitted up witth a 150hp before,, usually they have a 200 or a 175... How does it go with the 150, any figures you could share with us...

Ocean_Spirit
26-10-2008, 06:34 PM
I've driven a few with the 150 carby V6 Johnson offshore, and bottom line is, you don't need much power to make these things go, and the 150 is perfect for almost every application.

Seen one fitted with a V4 115, and one was tested with a 130 Honda and went great - which goes to show the efficiency of the hull, considering it is the heavyweight in its size range. I think there are a few getting around with 130 Honda's.

boatboy50
26-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Hey Jabba,

I bought it with the vision of repowering.

The 150 has actually been a very big surprise find.

I couldn't ask for any more. It cruises effortlessly @ 3800-4000rpm, comfortably pulling 22-25 knots. Flat out in the calm and it pulls 38 knots @ 5800-6000rpm with four aboard. I havn't done too much tweaking yet, but I expect that to lift as I do more hours. The engine hadn't been run in around two years before I bought it.

I'm so happy with the motor, I have shelved the plans to repower any time soon, and i've owned four strokes before.

The engine is a "FICHT" variety, which has received a lot of bad press. This engine has done 320 hours in it's life, and the computer reads it to have had no issues ever. It's been thoroughly checked out and sorted before I ran it for the first time. I'm running XD50 oil.

I'm very happy cruising at 25 knots and returning 20 l/ph, which is what i've had so far. I don't do a lot of trolling.

Regards

Darren

Jabba_
26-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Thank for the reply's.. I am suprized to hear about a 115 and the 130's on these hulls,,, I would off thought they would be way under powered, but no so...

Boatboy,,, Don't read to much into the Ficht horror stories... If you have 320hr on the clock, then you have got yourself a good reliable Ficht.. Send Noelm a PM is you want to find out more about the Ficht..
Those fuel figures are good, thanks or sharing....

boatboy50
26-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks Jabs,

I did plenty of research before buying, including talking to Noel.

The engine appears faultless to me so far, and I know of guys including Noel with thousands of hours on these engines. I'm told if they made it past 100 hours they will last a very long time. I've also got an excellent mechanic with plenty of knowledge on these engines. I believe that's half the battle.

Regards

Darren

P.S. How did you get your photos to display so big? Through photobucket or some other way?

Chimo
26-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi BB50

Does the Victory your talking about have trim tabs on it? I thought if its only using 20 l / hr it may have them too

Cheers
Chimo

boatboy50
26-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey Pete,

No tabs here, and never has it felt like it needed it.

We went over to Tangas last week, and with a 15kn breeze, there was no lean or need.

The Ficht is the reason it's returning good fuel economy. I'm told there is not that much difference between it and an ETEC.

Regards

Darren

tassie
26-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi jabba the only boat that i know can handle biger seas is the allisons but the seafarer runs second.
There is heaps of other boats out their that handle seas better than Allison and Seafarer::) And dont take that to heart because i aint biased with any boat. That's my 2 cents anyway:P

Ocean_Spirit
26-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Tassie, I'm yet to find anything, size for size, that does. I think the number of them (like the V-Sea) out there on the water attest to that.

Most people that own them, have had plenty of boats before them too. Once you learn how to drive them with trim, and you have the set-up spot-on as it should be, they are bloody awesome machines. Drive one through a rough afternoon on Jumpinpin and you appreciate how good everything comes together. Downhill handling is perfect. Anyway, horses for courses, but they are a legendary hull.

Tassie JR
26-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Tassie, I'm yet to find anything, size for size, that does. I think the number of them (like the V-Sea) out there on the water attest to that.

Most people that own them, have had plenty of boats before them too. Once you learn how to drive them with trim, and you have the set-up spot-on as it should be, they are bloody awesome machines. Drive one through a rough afternoon on Jumpinpin and you appreciate how good everything comes together. Downhill handling is perfect. Anyway, horses for courses, but they are a legendary hull.

Hey mate i have personally been for a run in a 19 foot allison and to be honest i was not happy with the ride at all. i think that southwind made one of the best fibreglass hulls around up with cruisecraft and haines hunter, and what i have heard seafarer make a great hull as well.

And just wondering jabba your seafarer with the 250 etec, that model boat is only rated to a 225 hp moter which means u blow ur insurance straight away and thats alot of money to not have insured. Correct me if im wrong on the year of your boat that is for a 08 vermont 5.9m

Tangles
26-10-2008, 09:50 PM
ok stupid question but what is an Ficht engine? ive got my head around 4 stroke and 2 stroke...

mike

ps these seafarers are great

boatboy50
26-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Aug,

A ficht is basically the first version of ETEC engine. It is still a 2 stroke with high pressure fuel injection, similar to an Optimax or HPDI Yamaha.

Regards

Darren

tenzing
26-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Hey Guys,

Regards

Darren

Hey Darren.
A beautiful boat for sure. I am fair dinkum in love with my victory. couldnt ask for a better boat. My wife reckons i can sleep with the boat if I spend any more time with it. Sounds fair enough.
Darren I was intersted in the front right roller on your trailer not contacting the hull. Is that ok?
Brendan

PS. Your roof and clears look fabulous. Are they new? I am fairly tall and that is my only criticism of the design , the top is a little low when standing

Jabba_
27-10-2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks Jabs,

P.S. How did you get your photos to display so big? Through photobucket or some other way?

Yep, Photobucket....

Jabba_
27-10-2008, 04:59 AM
And just wondering jabba your seafarer with the 250 etec, that model boat is only rated to a 225 hp moter which means u blow ur insurance straight away and thats alot of money to not have insured. Correct me if im wrong on the year of your boat that is for a 08 vermont 5.9m

My model Seafarer is Vermont 5.9m.... It has the sam hull as the 5.9 Victory..
My transom is rated to 250hp. I believe it is a factory option..

boatboy50
27-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Hey Darren.
A beautiful boat for sure. I am fair dinkum in love with my victory. couldnt ask for a better boat. My wife reckons i can sleep with the boat if I spend any more time with it. Sounds fair enough.
Darren I was intersted in the front right roller on your trailer not contacting the hull. Is that ok?
Brendan

PS. Your roof and clears look fabulous. Are they new? I am fairly tall and that is my only criticism of the design , the top is a little low when standing

Tenzing,

Thanks for the compliments.

The trailer is new, and the photo was taken on the first outing on it. After that shot was taken, I went and exchanged those rollers for a quad set. You can see it in the other pics, it is all sorted now.

The stainless targa is factory fitted. At the time, they were all built by Boat Fit here on the Goldie. The upholstery is all new. I have also put in a couple of cutouts to the front clear now for better ventilation and vision also.

Tassie, Before this boat I also owned a Southwind SF20 (Someone on here now owns that exact boat, after Leezor sold it). The ride on that boat was simply superb, but nowhere near as dry as the Victory. It is still one of my all time favourite boats. It rode as good as the Victory.

Regards

Darren

boatboy50
27-10-2008, 08:51 AM
And heres a Pic.

Ocean_Spirit
27-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey mate i have personally been for a run in a 19 foot allison and to be honest i was not happy with the ride at all. i think that southwind made one of the best fibreglass hulls around up with cruisecraft and haines hunter, and what i have heard seafarer make a great hull as well.

Fellas,

First point is that the 19" Allison is not in any way indicative of the ride in a Victory/Vermont. Owe yourself to try one first-hand that is properly set-up on a rough afternoon, then put it up against the boats you mentioned for comparison sake. Also pay attention to finish, fittings, build quality, etc. and re-sale value. I agree though, I think Southwind did have a good range.

Secondly, the 5.9 Vermont could be rated to 250 from the factory (as per Jabba's boat which is an 04). Get under the back end of any Seafarer and have a look at the level of raw material in the transom. The half-pods that are moulded off the running surface give the back plenty of lift without the need for planning planks, etc. that harshen the ride, and hence, they can float the big HP engines no problem. In this case, I think the 250's were only set-up for experienced operators, with the majority going out with 175's and 200's. The Evinrude 200/225/250 all weigh the same, just different HP (prior to the new 3.4Ltr E-TEC 250's and 300's). I think Jabba would know all about insurance parameters, etc. Put it this way, the 200 on ours provides a lot of grunt, and the 150/175 perfect. The 250 is just for those that love power!

tenzing
27-10-2008, 09:45 AM
And heres a Pic.
yeah nice job,
Brendan

Noelm
27-10-2008, 09:53 AM
just read most of this and reckon the only really accurate posts are from Smithy way back on page 1 or 2, I mentioned his type of comments before and got a toweling, even though I have owned and sold Seafarers for a lot of years, they are OK Boats, but not the be all to end all, and the guy who reckons his Alison is the only Boat that can handle big seas has been off his medication for way too long!

Noelm
27-10-2008, 09:56 AM
OK, now that I have all my safety gear on to protect me from any rocks that will be thrown at me, does anyone know why all Seafarers Boats start with a V? eg Venus, Vagabond, Viper, Viking and on and on!

Chimo
27-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Noelm

Just re read the comments you referred to. Why do they all start with "V" ?

Was it because Lindsays and his Dads typewriter could only do "'V" s in caps and all the rest were lower case?

Veronica Lake was their favourite actor?

Shame Smithy doesn't still own the one 115 HP that used to overheat. One of mine did that too and after a fair bit of head and other body part scratching I finally sorted it out with a small triangle file, a drill with a honeing stone and some windscreen wiper stiffening stainless steel and a pair of pliers. No more issues with it but i can certainly relate to the pain in the neck it was when it shut down to limp mode and the other one was fine.

Still reckon they are damn good motors and with 20" Rakers not too bad on fuel either.

So after your post 81 what is the be all to end all?

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
27-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I guess the be all to end all is an almost mythical thing, lots of Boats appeal to different people for a variety of reasons, some because they can do 40knots in a gale, some because some writer told them they are great, Seafarers are indeed a fine Boat, a very wet Boat, especialy if trolling into a decent chop, but none the less, the newer ones are quite well finished and fitted out, the old Vikings and V seas could hardly be said to be well equipped or finished, and the next one with a rotten floor or transom will not be the last, I guess if someone could come up witha Boat that had everything in it, was finished like a rolls royce, could be towed with a mini, had the stability of a cat, went through decent chop without a trip to the chyropractor after, used less than 5 litres an hour, went over 30 knots, looked great, costs bugger all to buy, never needed a service, then that would be the be all to end all, untill then we can only have some of those things!

boatboy50
27-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I guess the be all to end all is an almost mythical thing, lots of Boats appeal to different people for a variety of reasons, some because they can do 40knots in a gale, some because some writer told them they are great, Seafarers are indeed a fine Boat, a very wet Boat, especialy if trolling into a decent chop, but none the less, the newer ones are quite well finished and fitted out, the old Vikings and V seas could hardly be said to be well equipped or finished, and the next one with a rotten floor or transom will not be the last, I guess if someone could come up witha Boat that had everything in it, was finished like a rolls royce, could be towed with a mini, had the stability of a cat, went through decent chop without a trip to the chyropractor after, used less than 5 litres an hour, went over 30 knots, looked great, costs bugger all to buy, never needed a service, then that would be the be all to end all, untill then we can only have some of those things!

Noel,

Sorry, but in the case of the Victory you are seriously misinformed. This boat is boat number 16 i've owned, and driven literally hunderds more (i'm a commercial skipper). It is THE driest boat in this size class I have ever driven. I've heard the story of Vags and Voyagers being wet, but quite frankly this only appears to be an issue at troll in the rough, where most boats would take some over the bow.

I owned a Venus 4.74 years ago, and it was an awesome boat for it's size, probably handled better than the Haines 575F I owned.

I do agree there is not a perfect boat for everyone, but everyone does have a perfect boat for them.

The Victory is pretty close to it for me, but I can guarantee I will own another boat at some point. It will be a pig to someone that wants to wakeboard and ski all weekend.

Regards

Darren

Chimo
27-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Can I place an order for one of those with you?

What about the V thing?

Chimo
27-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Darren

My Vag does get some water over the bow especially when your in short sharp swells over a meter / meter and a half particularly when your hanging out on the bow working an anchor. I did get wet once but soon learned about his little foible so its not an issue now. Those anchor retrievers with the SS split ring have multiple benefits!

Slow trolling in 1.5 to 2m or more is wet but then again not being a masochist that is not a major concern so all in all apart from Noelm's boat, that I've put an order in for and my other choice, that nice little 5.2m one we have talked about that would be a nice thing just to have; I'm sticking with the Vag.

C

Dean1
27-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Aug,

A ficht is basically the first version of ETEC engine. It is still a 2 stroke with high pressure fuel injection, similar to an Optimax or HPDI Yamaha.

Regards

Darren Hi Darren how's things mate? Hey just curious how do you compare your new ride to the 5.2kc you used to own?? Not getting off topic here or coruptting it, im just curious ;D I owned a 1984 seafarer viking once and wasnt very impressed. Havent been in any other models. Cheers, Deano.

boatboy50
27-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey Deano,

Without question the Kevlacat 5.2 was good.

I don't like to compare them though, because to me it's apples against oranges.

Any Cat will handle softer than most monos, and be more stable. It also needs more power, more fuel, and more vehicle to tow. I am a big fan of cats, just not of the associated costs involved. A 23 Noosa Cat is my ultimate dream, but in reality I will never own one, i'll just operate other peoples.

I bought the Seafarer because it was cheaper (i'm a tight arse), a bigger boat, and more suited to my uses as an all rounder. The missus loves it and it will get more use than the KC did.

The KC needs to be walked a lot more, wheres the Victory just set it and go. I'm not after a speed record, just a comfortable and dry ride.

Regards

Darren

Noelm
27-10-2008, 11:55 AM
had an older Viking myself at one time, I also was not impressed, it was certainly OK for what it was, neither was my mate who got his at the same time and had it repaired a few times, and those dicky little fold up seats were a real surprise when one folds up beneath you and you land flat on your ar$e, or they drove you nuts banging back and forth against the side when they were folded up. no takers on the V thing yet?

finding_time
27-10-2008, 12:09 PM
If i owned a mono again it would probably be a victory, i have spent alot of time in this hull and rate it very highly, imho it's probably the pic of the Mono 6.0m boats out there that i've had personal experience in! But i also agree with Smithy and Noel , The seafarers have some very bad habits , one as mentioned is wet when trolling on anything but a good day and the other is when running down hill driving into and through the back of a wave, very dangerous!!!!

Jabba

Mate, i'm fully aware of the capability's of your vermont mate and 45knots in a 2.5m swell is not one of them. As sleepy greg mentioned you have again got your km;s / knots mixed up ( remember the fuel figures 3nm /perl) Vermonts are a god hull and i have been doing 100km/hr offshore in one launching of swells that were a long way apart and the sea was glassy but that is along way from what you decribed !

Noelm
27-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I would reckon that almost any Boat at 100KPH offshore is going to be exiting to say the least, I know it is done as is much faster speeds, but not with a bunch of Fisherman or family and a pile of rods and stuff, anyone who doubts this, just give it a whirl some day, get your Boat up to WOT in the Ocean, see how fast you are really going, then imagine what 100KPH would be like, all I can say is YEEEHAAAA! by the way, I am kidding, do not get your Boat up to full speed in the Ocean!

Ocean_Spirit
27-10-2008, 12:54 PM
The 'V' tradition has been around from the beginning. Many people don't know that Seafarer built the first deep-vee fibreglass trailerboat in Australia - the Vixen 13". I am not 100% on this, but I think you will find the V stands for 'DEEP V', and the tradition has continued for many years. The only other company I know that follows a similar tradition is Aston Martin.

NoelM, where did you sell Seafarer's out of interest?

I'm with BoatBoy, the Victory is an awesome all-rounder and this design has proved very popular with family fisherman over the past two decades. The Vikings being referred to here weren't the 5.5Mtr based on the current hull. They were the older version, that looked very similar to the 4.74 V-Sea, only longer. Skipper stood a long way forward, and they were built as fishing boats. Honest sea-boat, (some say the 4.74 was a better boat) but the new ones with half-pod and new hull and deck were a big improvement. They weren't designed as pretty family boats!

As for rotted floors / transoms in the older ones, you can say the same for any boat that age with that many hours and hard-work these boats copped, and it happens to certain other boats a lot sooner! New ones had the benefit of R&D and better materials. It will be interesting to see if some of the new-age building methods used around the place now stand-up to age like the older boats have (look at the old Halvorsen's, Norman Wrights, Caribbeans, etc. and my 40 year old Seafarer getting around).

Anyway, I agree with Noel's comments about the 'perfect' boat. Most Aussie boats are done well, and built for an application - and getting out and enjoying them is what it is all about. We've got some world-class brands here with Signature, Cruise Craft, Haines Hunter, Kevlacat, Caribbean, etc. and Seafarer has been a class-act for sometime - and respected locally and internationally. This is what this post was about - particularly given the changing of the guard now and a new approach.

ozscott
27-10-2008, 02:28 PM
My 72 Haines V16C was much less well built in terms of the floor at least than my 70s Vagabond...chalk and cheese even allowing for the size difference. The original floor on the V16C is very thin ply with a thin glass coat topsides only. The sheer amount of thick glass in the Vag is a thing of beauty.

Cheers

Jabba_
27-10-2008, 04:58 PM
If i owned a mono again it would probably be a victory, i have spent alot of time in this hull and rate it very highly, imho it's probably the pic of the Mono 6.0m boats out there that i've had personal experience in! But i also agree with Smithy and Noel , The seafarers have some very bad habits , one as mentioned is wet when trolling on anything but a good day and the other is when running down hill driving into and through the back of a wave, very dangerous!!!!

Jabba

Mate, i'm fully aware of the capability's of your vermont mate and 45knots in a 2.5m swell is not one of them. As sleepy greg mentioned you have again got your km;s / knots mixed up ( remember the fuel figures 3nm /perl) Vermonts are a god hull and i have been doing 100km/hr offshore in one launching of swells that were a long way apart and the sea was glassy but that is along way from what you decribed !

It's getting bigger and faster each time I read about, it was 40mph and 2m.. The swell was far apart and smooth (not completely glassed out), there was small left over chop from the previous day.. That's the best way I know how to describe it. We were running against another boat that maxed out at 35mph, I left him behind.... In the last few months, I have not be out on a day that is suitable to run at those speed. 20-25mph max going into the swell...

As for running down hill, I know what you mean, but what I do is trim the motor out to lift the nose, and increase the speed.. Work extreamly well, and you get home quicker...

tassie
27-10-2008, 08:28 PM

::) ::) ::) ::) ;)

Tassie JR
27-10-2008, 09:10 PM
My model Seafarer is Vermont 5.9m.... It has the sam hull as the 5.9 Victory..
My transom is rated to 250hp. I believe it is a factory option..

thanks for correcting me jabba. the only thing that made me think was this link.

http://www.seafarerboats.com/content.aspx?pageID=31&mainID=2

cheers tassie JR

Tassie JR
27-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Tenzing,

Thanks for the compliments.

The trailer is new, and the photo was taken on the first outing on it. After that shot was taken, I went and exchanged those rollers for a quad set. You can see it in the other pics, it is all sorted now.

The stainless targa is factory fitted. At the time, they were all built by Boat Fit here on the Goldie. The upholstery is all new. I have also put in a couple of cutouts to the front clear now for better ventilation and vision also.

Tassie, Before this boat I also owned a Southwind SF20 (Someone on here now owns that exact boat, after Leezor sold it). The ride on that boat was simply superb, but nowhere near as dry as the Victory. It is still one of my all time favourite boats. It rode as good as the Victory.

Regards

Darren

We used to have a southwind sf 640 and it was a very dry boat always felt safe in it and it was a great sea boat, i know the southwind you are talking about and it looked a awsome boat, i personally cant comment on the ride of the seafarers as i havent been in one but i know from what i have heard they are a great boat and im not dissing them at all.

cheers tassie JR

Ocean_Spirit
29-10-2008, 11:33 AM
For those interested, there are two new Modern Boating tests out on both the Victory and Voyager.

Victory:

http://www.modernboating.com.au/boat_tests/boat_tests/1/652/V-for-Victory

Voyager:

http://www.modernboating.com.au/boat_tests/boat_tests/1/685/On-Voyager

ozscott
06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Thought I would add some photos of the new and improved version - she is about 35 years old and still feels like its made of concrete...:)

siegfried
06-10-2009, 08:37 PM
If you read my first post it states, 45mph into a lumpy 2.5m swell, I cruise between 30-35mph..... Yeah, my balls were up in my mouth when I first opened up the throttle.... My main fear was if I got air and a chop smacked the stern, I would come down bow first and nose dive...... As it happened I only got prop vent twice, and it was only for a fraction of a second each time..... Interestingly the ride a 45mph was smoother then it was at 35mph...

Also my definition off lumpy is a chop that is left over from the day before...
That is the funniest thing Ive ever heard 45 mph into 2.5mt;D ;D crap ,All these seafarers must be different to any Ive ever been in cause theve all ridden as hard as a harlots heart and been wet as buggery when the seas get up::) Even the flagship 6.8 voyager sucks big time and before I get belted go out in one in $hit conditions and tell me Im wrong. Glad I discovered this thread very entertaining, Id call it the Seaspearer propaganda thread but;D ;D Still laughing at some of the stuff on here Venus better then Haines HAHAHAHAHAHAhA

siegfried
06-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Run out of room...... still laughin guts now sore unable to get up...warm feeling ...oops How modern boating can call that a boat test is beyond me but we all know the storey, if these monkeys told the truth about anything most of the manufacturers would never give em another boat :-*

ozscott
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Mate, without commenting on individual comments above, I think some of us are in a position to judge boat build, boat finish and boat handling enough to say that our Seafarers are at a particular standard...and we have...and for good reason. I do not say that my Seafarer is better than any other boat out there, but its an excellent rig in its own right and Seafarer is one of those brands that has a cult following and high re-sale (they dont need a propaganda thread as you call it) and this is merely a thread appreciating the attributes that make the brand a mark. As much as Haines Hunter (Australian and then Sig') is a mark.

Cheers

siegfried
06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
They are not a bad boat ,nor imho are they great ,and they will never go down in history as classic timeless hulls (except for that yella one that does 400mph into25m seas)

ozscott
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I disagree with you about timeless hulls - the use of the early ones by coast guard (pre-cats) sees to that. Adding to that are the Jeff Webster mags, Trailerboat Fisherman (Marinews), the old timers that have been through many hulls in adverse conditions to name a couple of examples ensure that many of the Fry hulls are indeed timeless. You will not find a discussion on good fishing boats that do not include Seafarer (of course along with Haines, Carribean, Savages etc - and of course certain hulls more than others).

But, alas, I dont mind what your opinion is of them.

Cheers

ozscott
06-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Ohh...and even though it would just be your opinion it might be informative for you to name the timeless ones.

Cheers

sparky54
14-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi fellow Seafarer lovers and others
I thought I would add my new Victory to the clan, after a very long 16 week wait I finally picked her up on 28/12/09. She is powered by a 175 Suzuki which pushes it along quite nicely. Since getting her home I have fitted a Lowrance HDS8, dual battery system with VSR, deck wash, stereo and clears. Still on the to do list are trim tabs ( most likely Volvo QL ), plumb the bait tank and NMEA 2000 network for engine data. I live in Rockhampton and fish in Keppel Bay and will be traveling up to 100 km offshore when and if the weather is good enough.

Arrived home after a long drive from the Gold Coast.
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv287/sparky54_bucket/NewBoat3.jpg
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv287/sparky54_bucket/NewBoat2.jpg
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv287/sparky54_bucket/NewBoat4.jpg

Madden voyage to Great Keppel Island.
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv287/sparky54_bucket/NewBoat1.jpg

ozscott
14-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Very nice mate. Gotta love it!

Cheers

krazyfisher
14-02-2010, 07:06 PM
nice boat there sparky

ozscott
11-06-2013, 09:15 PM
93592 New trailer - good excuse to post her up. She needs a polish! Decades old and new transom, but apart from that stock and solid.

Cheers

tenzing
11-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Geez Oz, Shes beautiful. You must be proud.
Been waiting for this thread to resurface for a while!
Cheers
Brendan

Chimo
11-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Its come up well

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
11-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks Gents. Yes I love the old girl. It had just come out from an overnighter. She needs the clears polishing and a good orby polish of the gelcoat, but it was the first time the new trailer got a dunking, so I was keen to grab a photo. I am pleased with the way the trailer came up.

Cheers!

Giffo65
12-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Sparky54

Nice boat,she looks like it is going fast when at anchor.

Robbo76
08-08-2013, 07:17 PM
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/robbo58/c6a7f9ab-1798-4efe-850e-9000e414c82e.jpg

Picked up an old v _sea. Yet to fish out of it , soon I hope!

ozscott
09-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Classic Hull Robbo. You should go a lot of places in her.

Cheers

Robbo76
13-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Took it out yesterday for a run, old donk goes great, the boat not bad. i have an 85l fuel tank in the cuddy cab part, i notice it doesnt like weight in the nose in the chop. Will move the tank at rear i think. Got a couple macks on the troll anyway :)

stevemid
14-08-2013, 07:46 AM
A statute mile (as in MPH) is 5280 feet
A kilometer (as in KPH) is 3280 feet
A nautical mile (as in NMPH) is averaged at 6076 feet

A Scotish mile is longer still but I won't go in to that, except to leave you with this little ditty compliments of wikipedia on the subject of "mile."

While we sit bousing at the nappy,
An' getting fou and unco happy,
We think na on the lang Scots miles,
The mosses, waters, slaps and stiles,
That lie between us and our hame,
Where sits our sulky, sullen dame,
Gathering her brows like gathering storm,
Nursing her wrath to keep it warm.

stue2
14-08-2013, 11:08 AM
They do look good. I nearly bought one

Stu

Marlin_Mike
31-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Off for a test ride in a V Sea Cuddy Cabin tomorrow. Have agreed on a price, if she performs A1 as I expect she will, she's mine.............:):):)

Robbo76
31-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I find mine rides pretty good. I did have the fuel tank in the cab part and it hated it, punched into the waves. Moved the weight to the rear and awesome!

Marlin_Mike
01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Well I bought her, so I'm officially a member of the Seafarer Owners Club I guess. Happy Days ahead........

Chimo
01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Well done and you got a real one too.

Cheers
Chimo

FisHard
01-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Nice rig Mike, they are a safe little hull! Welcome to the club.

ozscott
30-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Resurrecting an old thread. A period type photo taken with my Galaxy phone this week at Raby Bay.

Cheers

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/30/9uzymytu.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gofishin
01-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Nice pic. Those are some serious flood lights and cameras you have off the back of the Bimini Oz, you must use a gen set to run them... :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozscott
01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Haha....yep bit more juice than my solar panels can supply!

Cheers

ozscott
16-08-2014, 07:49 PM
A mate sent me a pic of my Vag he took a few yrs ago

Cheers http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/ageze2uq.jpg

captain rednut
09-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Hi Guys I thought i would share a Photo of a Seafarer Victory that i just completed a very major makeover too with all the bells and whistles. i put positive flotation in the hull and it does 48 knots top speed with the new F200hp Yamaha.
Cheers Jimmy

ozscott
10-09-2014, 06:20 AM
Oooohh...very nice....that is a great looking boat mate. It's great to see classic hulls ready for another umpteen decades.

Cheers

FisHard
10-09-2014, 07:27 AM
That is seriously sweet!

scottar
10-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi Guys I thought i would share a Photo of a Seafarer Victory that i just completed a very major makeover too with all the bells and whistles. i put positive flotation in the hull and it does 48 knots top speed with the new F200hp Yamaha.
Cheers Jimmy

Nice looking rig. What sort of numbers in terms of fuel use does the Yammy return? Have been thinking about one of these for a repower on my Victory

captain rednut
11-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Hi Scottar we have been still figuring out the consumption but i can tel you its one very economical engine, at this stage in good conditions was 1.2 N/M per Ltr at 27 knots cruise. its been hard to get the real figures as there hasnt been favorable conditions to get out much.

Chimo
11-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Jimmy

Sweet setup on the "blue" Jabba hull.

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
11-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Just found an old photo of my Viking from back around 1981ish...

scottar
11-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi Scottar we have been still figuring out the consumption but i can tel you its one very economical engine, at this stage in good conditions was 1.2 N/M per Ltr at 27 knots cruise. its been hard to get the real figures as there hasnt been favorable conditions to get out much.

Cheers for that. Good numbers.

ozscott
11-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Nice rig noelm

Noelm
11-09-2014, 02:33 PM
It was pretty flash in it's day, twin 55's, they had a heap of trouble with the 55's, they blew up quite regularly, I never had a problem with mine, but plenty of my mates did, OMC replaced the powerheads on them, one of my mates had the same boat as mine and did 3 motors, and another mate did 2, so even back then, "things" happened.

Marlin_Mike
11-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Forgot to post a pic of her when I bought her home I think.

ozscott
11-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Sweet mate. Gotta love these hulls.

Cheers

Seppo BNE
03-08-2015, 10:35 PM
This thread has been quiet for a while - I have been looking into Seafarers a bit lately in the hopes of finding my first 5.5 - 6m boat :)

There seem to be a few good looking Victory 6.0's around that look pretty good for their age.

I do have a few questions I hope some owners/past owners could help with!

I guess with any boats, age is an enemy - how do the Victory's hold up?, Wondering how they go for needing floor/transom repairs over time? - I haven't seen anything looking through forums so far.

Were there any changes around the 1998-2002 period with the maximum engine size on them?, 225 looks to be the max on 2000 year ones onwards, but, not sure if it was the same earlier?

Would anyone know how long the cabin is? - Wondering if I can fit in for a rest :) (176cm)

I also wonder if anyone has missed the ability to walk around the cabin outside?, or is getting a windlass / winch the go?

Many thanks in advance!

Seppo

Oceanic Dave
04-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Hi Seppo,

i just bought a 2005 model victory. It came with a 225 etec. Mine only had 125 hours on it and so far everything is quite solid so no need to think about flooring, hopefully for a long time.

I think 1999 was the 5.9M victory and from 2000 onwards was the 6M victory. Maybe that is when the HP changed but I am not sure. Someone else here will probably confirm that.

You will fit in the cabin. The cabin is 194cm

i don't care about the walk around. There is a slight edge if you have good balance! Mine came with a Muir winch from factory and so far works really well. Much better than bringing up an anchor yourself.

thomo_113
04-08-2015, 01:13 PM
This thread has been quiet for a while - I have been looking into Seafarers a bit lately in the hopes of finding my first 5.5 - 6m boat :)

There seem to be a few good looking Victory 6.0's around that look pretty good for their age.

I do have a few questions I hope some owners/past owners could help with!

I guess with any boats, age is an enemy - how do the Victory's hold up?, Wondering how they go for needing floor/transom repairs over time? - I haven't seen anything looking through forums so far.

Were there any changes around the 1998-2002 period with the maximum engine size on them?, 225 looks to be the max on 2000 year ones onwards, but, not sure if it was the same earlier?

Would anyone know how long the cabin is? - Wondering if I can fit in for a rest :) (176cm)

I also wonder if anyone has missed the ability to walk around the cabin outside?, or is getting a windlass / winch the go?

Many thanks in advance!

Seppo

Seppo,

If you're looking at the Victory 6.0, i'd be holding out a few weeks and having a look around at the Brisbane Boat Show - you might just find yourself a brand new one ;)

Oceanic Dave
04-08-2015, 04:22 PM
You serious? I go to all the boat shows along the east coast and I have never ever seen a New Seafarer!

I asked the Haines Group about it last year and they said they don't showcase those boats.

Bremic
05-08-2015, 06:54 AM
Maybe tommo has some inside info. Regardless, the cynic in me suggests that they didn't buy the brand to better it, rather remove some competition and allow them to steer any potential customers towards their own products.

Chimo
05-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Bremic

I suspect you would find that when Haines bought Seafarer John Haines senior had big plans for it to continue as a big successful brand, so much so that Lindsay Fry was employed to assist Haines to further develop it. However after the John Snr passed away Haines moved into caravans etc etc. Not at all surprised to hear Oceanic Daves comments as it reflects what happened after Jonh Snr passed away.

Haines actions have resulted in the market now paying a premium for the the Lindsay Fry built Seafarers.

Cheers
Chimo

Ocean_Spirit
05-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Seppo, the current model 6.0 Victory was introduced in 1997 by Lindsay Fry. They have always been rated to 225HP, except some (like mine) that are rated to 250 (only ever sold to experienced owners). Some of the facts above are not correct. I worked for Seafarer for 5years and had been around that factory since I was knee high. The 1993 - 2007 generation were and still are the best production trailer boat we produced in Australia for quality. A couple of comments on build;

- The floors and transoms are overbuilt. Go into any brand factory and have a look at the gap between the stringers and hull - sadly they are usually bogged, foam filled and sold to the unwary customer- on a Seafarer you couldn't get a cigarette wrapper under them, and if you could, the boat wouldn't leave the factory.

- Glass work was both woven roving and matting. Every hull was weighed as it left the mould. Lindsay had a reputation for sacking people who didn't understand what perfection meant.

- Have a look at the transom and the quality of the moulding. Completely sealed with no screwed in alloy for water to penetrate. The transoms were heavily layed up with glass panelling anyway i.e multiple layers - bloody strong and built to last. I had a well known shipwright repair one for a mate whose boat came off the trailer on the Gateway Bridge - cosmetic repairs and he was astounded on how well built they were.

- The floors are fully glassed and before that, everything was flow coated - have a look even under the cabin panels.

- Rex Hunt wouldn't accept free boats from other brands - he ripped the bow rail off another so called top of the range glass boat when tied up. He has personally paid market rate for 3 Victorys for him and his boys and that says something. These were late 90's builds.

- The cabin bunks are designed for 180cm adults.

The best information you will get on these boats is from those who worked on them during the Lindsay Fry era. There are quite a "few" perceived experts that know nothing about them, and I'd hate to be behind the wheel with some of these guys.

Seppo, you contacted me on the weekend about the Victory I have for sale on ebay at the minute - selling for a mate who isn't in great shape health wise. I personally own a 2005 Victory that has every imaginable option on it (not for sale) and so you can have a look and see the indifference on the two. Its cheap and a great boat with plenty of interest this week - owner is keen to move it on.

thomo_113
05-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Maybe tommo has some inside info. Regardless, the cynic in me suggests that they didn't buy the brand to better it, rather remove some competition and allow them to steer any potential customers towards their own products.

That I may do... A little bit of sleuthing on the BBS website (hint: exhibitor list) may yield some info ;)

Ocean_Spirit
05-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Another rebadged Traveller?

To be frank, buy one built before 2007 - when they were built properly by a boatbuilder.

CT
05-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Seppo, you contacted me on the weekend about the Victory I have for sale on ebay at the minute - selling for a mate who isn't in great shape health wise. I personally own a 2005 Victory that has every imaginable option on it (not for sale) and so you can have a look and see the indifference on the two. Its cheap and a great boat with plenty of interest this week - owner is keen to move it on.

Was this the one that was at John Crawford Marine?

Oceanic Dave
05-08-2015, 09:51 PM
That I may do... A little bit of sleuthing on the BBS website (hint: exhibitor list) may yield some info ;)
I went through the exhibitor list yesterday and didn't see what I saw today! Looks like you are right, can you confirm on the Victory? I just need to plan the trip!

Seppo BNE
07-08-2015, 12:55 AM
Been looking at boats for ages and finally decided to get a Seafarer Victory !...
Thankyou so much Ocean_Spirit for the helpful info on the million questions I had when looking into your one- :)
Picked it up this evening after a good look over and can't wait to get her out on the water!
:) :) :)

tenzing
07-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Congratulations Seppo
You have bought yourself a very solid reliable boat.
I am sure that you and your friends and family will get as much enjoyment out of it over the years as I have with mine.
Well done
Cheers
Brendan

outta line
07-08-2015, 05:43 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/183055-new-seafarer-range-or-should-i-say-haines

wonder how many victorys they have made since i put this post up .....

rodneyk
07-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Seppo, the current model 6.0 Victory was introduced in 1997 by Lindsay Fry. They have always been rated to 225HP, except some (like mine) that are rated to 250 (only ever sold to experienced owners). Some of the facts above are not correct. I worked for Seafarer for 5years and had been around that factory since I was knee high. The 1993 - 2007 generation were and still are the best production trailer boat we produced in Australia for quality. A couple of comments on build;

- The floors and transoms are overbuilt. Go into any brand factory and have a look at the gap between the stringers and hull - sadly they are usually bogged, foam filled and sold to the unwary customer- on a Seafarer you couldn't get a cigarette wrapper under them, and if you could, the boat wouldn't leave the factory.

- Glass work was both woven roving and matting. Every hull was weighed as it left the mould. Lindsay had a reputation for sacking people who didn't understand what perfection meant.

- Have a look at the transom and the quality of the moulding. Completely sealed with no screwed in alloy for water to penetrate. The transoms were heavily layed up with glass panelling anyway i.e multiple layers - bloody strong and built to last. I had a well known shipwright repair one for a mate whose boat came off the trailer on the Gateway Bridge - cosmetic repairs and he was astounded on how well built they were.

- The floors are fully glassed and before that, everything was flow coated - have a look even under the cabin panels.

- Rex Hunt wouldn't accept free boats from other brands - he ripped the bow rail off another so called top of the range glass boat when tied up. He has personally paid market rate for 3 Victorys for him and his boys and that says something. These were late 90's builds.

- The cabin bunks are designed for 180cm adults.

The best information you will get on these boats is from those who worked on them during the Lindsay Fry era. There are quite a "few" perceived experts that know nothing about them, and I'd hate to be behind the wheel with some of these guys.

Thanks for this thread very informative this is what ausfish is all about thanks Rod

tenzing
07-08-2015, 02:57 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/183055-new-seafarer-range-or-should-i-say-haines

None. The last ones were made 8 years ago on the Gold Coast
cheers

outta line
07-08-2015, 06:15 PM
None. The last ones were made 8 years ago on the Gold Coast
cheers

lol...aint that the truth

Ocean_Spirit
09-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Here's evidence. The last Victory out of the factory.

Chimo
09-08-2015, 07:34 PM
OS

Do this please and we can see what your posting

Do this http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...he-chat-boards (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/54112-Resizing-images-for-use-on-the-chat-boards)

and then do this http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...files-to-posts (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/103565-Attaching-photos-files-to-posts)

Thanks

Cheers
Chimo

Seppo BNE
09-08-2015, 11:23 PM
What an awesome boat! - Took the Victory out on both days over the weekend, ended up with around 6 hours more on the clock after all done :)
Few trips to tipplers, Jumpinpin and around with family, inlaws etc.. The weather was beautiful so couldn't have asked for a better day on Saturday.

Sunday, went for a cruise from Jacobs way, down to the Gold Coast.. It's a new feeling catching up to boats around the waterways!
Went out to check out some reefs a few miles out from the coast, Had been out in a friends 6.3m plate boat and I do prefer the Victory, handled nicely in the ~1.5m swell.

Slowly putting together a list of things to do on it to make it perfect.

1) Anchor Winch -- solo anchoring is a challenge in strong currents, --- Anyone have any thoughts on the ones listed on Ebay lately?, or other good ones??
2) Boat catcher - (Katchya, or similar) -- solo launch/retrieve.

tenzing
10-08-2015, 06:32 AM
What an awesome boat! - Took the Victory out on both days over the weekend, ended up with around 6 hours more on the clock after all done :)
Few trips to tipplers, Jumpinpin and around with family, inlaws etc.. The weather was beautiful so couldn't have asked for a better day on Saturday.

Sunday, went for a cruise from Jacobs way, down to the Gold Coast.. It's a new feeling catching up to boats around the waterways!
Went out to check out some reefs a few miles out from the coast, Had been out in a friends 6.3m plate boat and I do prefer the Victory, handled nicely in the ~1.5m swell.

Slowly putting together a list of things to do on it to make it perfect.

1) Anchor Winch -- solo anchoring is a challenge in strong currents, --- Anyone have any thoughts on the ones listed on Ebay lately?, or other good ones??
2) Boat catcher - (Katchya, or similar) -- solo launch/retrieve.
Glad to hear you are having fun!
Boatlatch (Land R) is the one. no new holes in the boat. solid and works, not too dear. Got mine from Spiro at Bluebottle at melbourne show. generally a bit cheaper at the shows.
I have a factoy fitted muir winch , I am sure the stressfree ones are a better design, However, as we only ever anchor using reef pick, that is deployed from the cabin and retrieved with a foam float,much simpler and quicker.
There are quite a few other things you can add. I personally cant get by without the tabs.
Cheers
Brendan

scottar
10-08-2015, 06:49 AM
IMO drum winches have it all over the gypsy types in most ways bar cost and physical size. If you want to use it in any sort of depth, free fall is the way to go. Plenty of good ones around - just do your research. As Brendan has mentioned - Trim tabs - if you don't have them already, make a good boat sooooo much better.

Chimo
10-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Another vote for trim tabs. The first thing to buy. It even makes the Vagabond a better boat so imagine what it could do for a Victory!

And buy a foam float with a stainless steel split ring on a short length of rope, to slip on and off your anchor warp. Buy one and try it off shore in deep water and any current you can find even by yourself (as I do ) before you buy your anchor winch. Easiest way to retrieve an anchor.

ranmar850
10-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Or even better, get an ezi-lift anchor clip. Clip it on before you finally tie off, use like the stainless ring, but the anchor will not slip back down when you take the tension off. It'll just sit there under the float as you motor slowly back downwind to it leisurely retrieving the rope. The only reason some people don't like them is that they reckon they don't work, as they put them on backwards, or something. Couldn't be easier, I regularly have 100 metres of rope out in 20-odd fathoms of water, usually not solo in that depth. Having it out there while fishing has the added benefit of damping the amount of sailing your boat will do on the pick if it is breezy. I use a 300mm red fluoro inflatable which easily lifts a 15lbdanforth and 7 metres of 6mm chain.
That said, I would eventually like an electric winch, but for the shallower water, when I am fishing solo and moving around more.

Marchy001
10-08-2015, 10:55 AM
I used a float setup on the Noble prior to getting the seafarer. Good setup and yes it works well.
Drum winch on the seafarer is just that bit better again in my opinion. $2k better well that I'm not sure about just yet but so far I love my drum winch.
A boat I worked on out of Townsville had a vertical capstan and it still required a person to be on the bow laying the chain into the locker. Easier on arms yes but that's about it.

Oh and please stop talking about how good trim tabs on seafarers are, there is no way I will be allowed to spend any more $$$ on the boat for the foreseeable future.

thomo_113
10-08-2015, 12:27 PM
I went through the exhibitor list yesterday and didn't see what I saw today! Looks like you are right, can you confirm on the Victory? I just need to plan the trip!

Yes, Victory will be there

New answer is ONE!

Edit: Leaving the factory...

Chimo
10-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Ranmar

I have a clip too but find it is too hard on the rope / warp and tends to unwind the lay of the rope. The ring also allows the chain to run all the way thru the ring and the anchor is against the ball so its the first thing to be lifted into the boat.

Anyhoo to each his own.

A set of 9 by 9 Lencos is all the trim tab you need, Just get the basic control, you dont really need the lights. Plan Xmas presents early.

Cheers
Chimo

outta line
11-08-2015, 06:46 AM
is this how the boat is going to be shown? what motor 175 suzuki? any ss targa going on ? or is it going to be a bare basic boat to keep the price down ?
cheers

Oceanic Dave
11-08-2015, 08:42 AM
I was just about to ask that.
Will it have rocket launcher?
Bait table?
Any accessories?

tenzing
11-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Why is the Haines hull weight as advertised 100kg lighter than mine?

Oceanic Dave
11-08-2015, 11:05 AM
You expected more of a difference?

Chimo
11-08-2015, 12:03 PM
They vacuum bag their layups so would expect a little less weight.

thomo_113
11-08-2015, 04:14 PM
I was just about to ask that.
Will it have rocket launcher?
Bait table?
Any accessories?

is this how the boat is going to be shown? what motor 175 suzuki? any ss targa going on ? or is it going to be a bare basic boat to keep the price down ?
cheers

Both better answered by the new dealer - the boat is currently being fitted out for the show I believe - www.lagunaboating.com.au

Fish Face
11-08-2015, 04:23 PM
They vacuum bag their layups so would expect a little less weight.

That's the first I've heard about them vacuum bagging their boats. Are you sure ? FF...

Chimo
11-08-2015, 05:23 PM
I believe so. I believe I recall seeing it promoted in the newer shared haines seafarer bass type boat.

There was a thread on here of one being built for one of the AFers a while ago. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong tho.

Cheers
Chimo

scottar
11-08-2015, 08:09 PM
The process is called RIVALE (by Haines at least) - resin injected vacuum assisted low emission. Definitely used on some if not all the Signature hulls. Whether it has made it to the Seafarer range I don't know. It could just be they have trimmed out some of Lindsay's over engineering

outta line
11-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Let's hope the fit out has a 4cyl 200 Suzuki on the back for something new ad different than a 175

thomo_113
11-08-2015, 10:26 PM
The process is called RIVALE (by Haines at least) - resin injected vacuum assisted low emission. Definitely used on some if not all the Signature hulls. Whether it has made it to the Seafarer range I don't know. It could just be they have trimmed out some of Lindsay's over engineering

Spot on... Vacuum assisted and definitely not bagged. Process is only used on the Signature 485SF model.

Chimo
12-08-2015, 07:02 AM
So it appears I confused bagged with "resin injected vacuum assisted low emission" and scottar is probably closer to the mark.
When it comes to pushing through waves etc think the extra weight is nice to have for a smoother ride but this is only based on an old Vag.

scottar
12-08-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm with you Chimo. I can put up with the extra fuel burn to save a trip to the chiropractor.

Ocean_Spirit
29-08-2015, 05:45 PM
For Seafarer fans who appreciate the quality of the Lindsay Fry built boats, I was down at RQYS earlier today, and came across this gem by Norman R Wright & Sons. For those who are not familiar with this 100 year old boating name, Norman R. Wright & Sons have built some of Australia's finest Moreton Bay cruisers, modern day luxury yachts, and game fishing boats. For anyone that has been to Brisbane, they also manufacture the City Cats and have specialised in heavy duty commercial boats over their tenure. Very rare do you see them delve into the trailer boat market, but when they do, they are pretty special boats.

The game fishing boats "WEAPON", "BIG BUDDY" and "EAGLE" are Norman R Wright & Sons built.

They had a 15" open boat down there today, fully glass infused - a great, well built boat coming onto the market in October.

Ocean_Spirit
29-08-2015, 05:51 PM

And a 'Seafarer' shot for the fans… launching the 8.5Mtr sports fisherman. Only a handful were built.

Chimo
29-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sendmessage.php)

This is what your attachment 110649 pulls up.

Can you have another try?

The Norman Wright 15 footer appears to be trying to combine the good old days of high quality timber and brass with glass. The new owner will probably be keeping it out of the weather between use, I know I would. Has the look of the smallest US CCs.

tenzing
29-08-2015, 09:38 PM

And a 'Seafarer' shot for the fans… launching the 8.5Mtr sports fisherman. Only a handful were built.
Love to see that photo OS

Ocean_Spirit
30-08-2015, 12:36 PM

Seafarer 8.5 Sports Fisherman

Ocean_Spirit
30-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Chimo, the centre console is a 19" - built out of cedar. Beautiful workmanship, and simple, quality fit-out.

The 15" down there was timber prototype - all future models will be glassed in-fused. Nice deadrise and will be a quality little boat.

FisHard
30-08-2015, 01:25 PM
That 8.5 with the tower is a horny rig!!

Chimo
30-08-2015, 01:32 PM
OS

Thanks for that.
The 8.5 m Seafarer hull seems to have been used in a number of craft.
There is an inboard diesel sedan cruiser with same / similar hull that is for sale atm. http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/seafarer-28-diesel-sports/149523
There was a red flybridge version for sale in Melb for ages that looked to be nice rig too.
Also a diesel fishing boat version was around on the Gold Coast a while ago that may have been in New Guinea for while. If not the same one there is one like it for sale too. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/point-vernon/motorboats-powerboats/economical-game-fishing-boat/1085172133

Haven't seen them for a while but there a few bigger 34ft ? flybrige units around too that don't look dissimilar to the Fairways.110665110666Like this.

Cheers
Chimo

tenzing
30-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks OS.
What a beautiful looking flybridge.
Did you score a spot in the onboard lineup for the photo?
Cheers
Brendan

Ocean_Spirit
30-08-2015, 06:54 PM

In production (early 1990's). Chimo, you are right, this was the 28" hull. There was also a flybridge version and runabout (as below). The 34" was based on the Vindex hull. This hull was legendary - designed by Jim Young who personally asked Lindsay to build the boats in Australia. Great hull - very famous in NZ.

boatboy50
30-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Always loved that 8.5m sports fisherman. I have a boat test with many pics in a magazine at home somewhere. It was Lindsay's answer to black watch and black fin at the time I think. For some reason I don't think they made many though. Maybe too much $$$$. It would be an awesome boat to pick up used now and repower with 4 strokes.

Darren

Chimo
30-08-2015, 08:39 PM
BB50

Two of the 8.5 ms are diesel, one shaft I think and the other I/O. The Red one in Vic or was, is and I/O too. See the links above.

Are you back from the circumnavigation and at work or still in transit?

Ocean Spirit your attachments are not able to be seen, how are you you attaching pics if I may ask? Is it just me that cannot see them?

Cheers
Chimo

boatboy50
30-08-2015, 10:07 PM
I can't see the two latest ones either. I'd love to though os. Pete, I'm still travelling but working in airlie beach ATM topping up some funds. There's some awesome rigs up here on a nice day! The aqua/ white boat pic above was the exact boat in the magazine boat test. Had two 225 johnnos on board a pod with a Flat rear deck for fishing. A couple of 250 zuks would make that a fantastic boat.

Darren

FisHard
31-08-2015, 07:34 AM
^ yep, exactly my thoughts. A BIG set of trim tabs too. And about 1000l of fuel.

The Woo
31-08-2015, 07:47 AM
Always loved that 8.5m sports fisherman. I have a boat test with many pics in a magazine at home somewhere. It was Lindsay's answer to black watch and black fin at the time I think. For some reason I don't think they made many though. Maybe too much $$$$. It would be an awesome boat to pick up used now and repower with 4 strokes.

Darren
yeah I remember looking over one at a boat show and becoming a bit of a fan. More often than not, a boat that "looks" right, is right. I reckon the 8.5 looked right.
Grab one now and do a full refit to modern spec would be good.

FisHard
31-08-2015, 12:20 PM
How's the Obrein going Woo?

The Woo
31-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Getting close to a splash mate, then we can bolt in the trinkets and finishing touches that thieves would steal while its on the hard stand.
Teak deck going down but bit of a hold up with the guy being half way through it then getting quite ill. He'll be back though.
And flybridge hardtop is horn.... well it's going to be horn. We did a test fit and check measure of the carbon skin and targa arch Friday and I think it's going to look great.

FisHard
31-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Cool, can't wait to see it. I've done a few charters on a 89' Obrein 40 and it's an awesome rig!

Smithy
31-08-2015, 11:12 PM
The one 8.5m Seafarer with tower and diesel leg is at Hervey Bay and owned by Paul Rosman. He has been an AF member before.

Ocean_Spirit
03-09-2015, 08:59 PM

A classic shot...

tenzing
06-09-2015, 04:44 PM
A mate went to the show today and sent these photos of the haines 2015 victory
Thanks Adam
Cheers

FisHard
06-09-2015, 07:42 PM
She's looks nice, though not much different. Competitive price.

Ocean_Spirit
17-09-2015, 08:49 PM

The first Seafarer in Australia to be fitted with a new Evinrude G2. A pretty special project this boat - and had some very experienced/quality tradespeople associated with it (including a good member of this forum).

I will put some more images up in due course, but let's just say, a modern face-lift to breath some life into a legendary hull.

Seppo BNE
19-09-2015, 01:33 AM
I had a quick look at this boat and new G2 in the box the other day!.. New shiny things are always soooo good looking !
It will be really nice when on the water :)..

On other Seafarer news - our new for us Victory has been getting a super workout over the last few weeks.. Went for a trip in a 6.3m plate alum boat with 2x DF115's.... and I prefer the Victory hands down!
Having a bar crossing course with Bill Corten next week, I think he has a Cruisecraft - will be looking forward to learning heaps and seeing how the CC feels in comparison.

FisHard
19-09-2015, 09:02 AM

The first Seafarer in Australia to be fitted with a new Evinrude G2.

A pretty special project this one and one I am proud to be associated with - always good to be back around the old product and good people associated with it (including a good member of this forum).

I will put some more images up in due course, but let's just say, a complete retooling of a classic boat.
I hope they went deep into every aspect of this boat with the retooling. Really deep.

Ocean_Spirit
19-09-2015, 03:12 PM
What do you mean by that FisHard? Lost me mate...

Nothing "retooled" on the hull. Engine came off - transom like it left the factory.

It was pulling 55MPH with the old G1 and sat dead flat in the water like a properly set-up one. No bounce, no lean, etc. That's generally what happens when you have it set up right to begin with at the factory and not a haphazard dealer who tend to stuff it up (permanently).

FisHard
19-09-2015, 04:05 PM
I had the first one, set up from the factory by his lordship Fry I assume, and it was the worst sea boat of its size I've ever been in. I changed the twin 115s to a single Suzi and played around with props and engine height and it was still a dog with fleas. Sorry to rain on the Seafarer parade, just saying what I think. I had a series 3 V Sea and it was brilliant, a 2003 Venus which was a reasonable boat, but the Venom was a pig. Wet, broach like bastard, slappy, and prop torque that was unfixable. I will say it was extremely stable at rest. Console was poorly designed, ok it looked good, but took up most of the floor space with very little storage or protection. It was also just screwed in and needed a proper fix.

ozscott
19-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Bill's CC is a big heavy bugger and loves the bar. I had a ball driving it. In Moreton Bay chop however the ride of my Vagabond (despite being smaller and lighter) was better. Bill knew it would be as he made the comment on the way back in. His CC is a nice beast but valued at 5 times what my 40 year old girl would be so fair one.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ocean_Spirit
19-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Fishard, I think I remember talking to you about yours. Shame it never made it back to the factory to actually look at your set-up. Then again, you can always have a lemon, regardless of the brand. The first Venom had twin 115's and won BOTY, FBOTY on release, was a great boat (I drove it back in 2003/04 and it still had twin carby's). Owned by Trevor Hendy. So I don't think yours was #1 and not many were set-up by the factory until around early 2000's (most of the Brisbane based boats were sold via either Stones Corner Marine or Northside Marine) and some of these fit-ups were very questionable - which is why they took it all in-house.

One of the Venom's (with twin's) was used in filming Pacific Drive and was thrashed - I think it (or another one) ended up on an oyster lease at 40+ knots. It was rebuilt by some backyard mob. Yes, something like that would give you some headaches if you happened to pick that one up (see news article).

The twin rig transom wasn't designed for a single either - they had a different pod, so never recommend anyone repowering with a single unless they had the single pod.

Regarding your comment on the console, they have to be screwed in mate to access the tank. Not sure what other great design idea you would have if you were building a production range that had shared DNA in the hull mould, and you needed to fabricate deck moulds to then fit the floor. They were called a sports console for a reason. Some different consoles were fitted with a higher, narrower frame (akin to the yank boat designs and T-Frame). I'd like to be a fly on the wall when a customer went to repower and was told the console was glassed to the floor over the tank and wiring loom. If you have a look at the sides of the Bruise Craft in your profile pic - all screwed in (and certainly not 42 screws, with glassed shrouds like in the Venom console). Most of the modern boat brands have everything screwed in. No issues here - unless the fitter hasn't done it properly when rigging the engines. Never seen one flex or move. Yeah the presentation might be dated but it was designed for 4" mono Lowrance's and 10-12 gauges in 1995, so yes, things have changed, but not hard to change if you have the skills. So not sure what issue you had with the console.

FisHard
19-09-2015, 08:40 PM
I owned the boat in your pictures. I stand by my comments and opinion re its sea keeping abilities having done 100 or so hours in it with the original twins, then another 120 or so with the 200 Suzi (loved that motor). It was a pig.
Will admit it cranked pretty well (in calm water) with the 115s. And they weren't too bad on fuel considering.
Re the console, originally there was perhaps 10 self tappers holding it in place, these flogged out pretty quick so I upgraded there size and doubled the quantity. That didn't work either so I had a boat builder modify it so the console could be bolted (like it should have been done).
Re the "Bruise Craft" agree that the Seafarer was generally better built. I bought the Bruise Craft knowingly with a doggy transom, and the boat builder discovered in fact it had already been done, so this is its 3rd transom in 24 years. Same boat builder does not see many Seafarers in proportion to other popular brands, so obviously Sir Fry had some good quality processes.
But, even though the "Bruise Craft is half a metre shorter, it would out run the "Seaspearer" in any direction. Well, maybe the Seaspearer might cut through a 20cm bay chop at a higher velocity, but that would be it. I friggin love my little Bruise Craft.

The Black Unicorn
20-09-2015, 07:31 AM
I had the first one, set up from the factory by his lordship Fry I assume, and it was the worst sea boat of its size I've ever been in. I changed the twin 115s to a single Suzi and played around with props and engine height and it was still a dog with fleas. Sorry to rain on the Seafarer parade, just saying what I think. I had a series 3 V Sea and it was brilliant, a 2003 Venus which was a reasonable boat, but the Venom was a pig. Wet, broach like bastard, slappy, and prop torque that was unfixable. I will say it was extremely stable at rest. Console was poorly designed, ok it looked good, but took up most of the floor space with very little storage or protection. It was also just screwed in and needed a proper fix.

a breath of fresh air. Someone not blinded by that magical name " Seafarer "!

Ocean_Spirit
20-09-2015, 09:36 AM
FishHard, isn't this the same boat:

http://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/offline/TBM190_Offline_PDF_Edition.pdf

If my dates align, this would have been during your ownership tenure. Didn't get the vibe from your comments that it was a "dog". Looking at your pod, it has been reworked, and not very well. And yes, that particular boat did have some history...

If you are telling me that your 580 Outsider rides better than your old Venom, then all I can say is that a) there was a serious set up issue or b) you couldn't drive a deep vee hull.

FisHard
20-09-2015, 10:00 AM
FishHard, isn't this the same boat:

http://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/offline/TBM190_Offline_PDF_Edition.pdf

If my dates align, this would have been during your ownership tenure. Didn't get the vibe from your comments that it was a "dog". Looking at your pod, it has been reworked, and not very well. And yes, that particular boat did have some history...

If you are telling me that your 580 Outsider rides better than your old Venom, then all I can say is that a) there was a serious set up issue or b) you couldn't drive a deep vee hull.

One More Drop, mate we all know your opinion. Don't think you've been in one since the 1970's (built ones) though... would like to take you out in mine one day and show you how they perform.
yes that's my boat. No the pod did not get reworked.
Im over this thread and will leave you to it. You are obviously more cleverer and more experienceder than me, so I will just admit to being the fool (to save you coming out behind your veiled words) and we can all get on with life.

Ocean_Spirit
20-09-2015, 10:21 AM
With due respect, I think my commentary is far from veiled…! This is an appreciation forum, and perhaps best to express your appreciation for what you now own in another one. I can contribute some great photos to that. Look, you are entitled to an opinion. Everyone who owns a boat has one. Some boats just don't suit some owners who like the set and forget feel and don't like to "drive" their boats. Or who don't mind taking a boat to sea that wasn't well built from day 1. But the most successful mono trailerable hulls built (from the stables of the Haines family, John Hipkins, Fry, and others) do require some skills at the helm to get the most out of them. By no means am I purporting that Seafarer had the "best hulls" - but they are able to combine a good hull to begin with, with integrity in how they were built.

There are hundreds of Seafarer owners across Australia (many of whom have owned many other brands) who will firmly attest to their sea keeping ability. Like I said (and all I will say) is that there was some history to that old boat of yours (built in the mid 90's), and it has had some serious use.

The guy that owns the boat pictured above has owned some of the finest game boats and cruisers in Australia and he'd be nudging his 50th Seafarer with this one. If, indeed, they were "dogs" as you have described, I'd doubt he'd happily poor 80K into it.

Chimo
20-09-2015, 11:10 AM
OS

Please explain, $80K ? What is that going to buy (roughly) What size motor? etc
Says he with two 115HP Old-tecs (probably run in by now)

Thanks
Regards
Chimo

FisHard
20-09-2015, 11:17 AM
See, you know better. I've spoken to plenty of dissatisfied Seaspearer owners, particularly of the 6.2m hull, but they couldn't be bothered posting like this, there's not much point. I'm defeated, you can act (more) smug now. It's ok.
Dam, I was going to leave this alone!! Haha more fool me hey?!

Bremic
20-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Wow, that is some serious buying and selling to turnover 50 boats in one lifetime.

The Black Unicorn
20-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Wow, that is some serious buying and selling to turnover 50 boats in one lifetime.

Must be good if you buy 50 of them.

ozscott
20-09-2015, 12:16 PM

One more drop said "a breath of fresh air. Someone not blinded by that magical name " Seafarer "!"

Mate the heading is Seafarer Appreciation Thread. Of course you are going to get people posting appreciation of the brand. And the fact is they mostly made good boats and great boats. Of course there might be the odd one not so great but even those will still be better than a whole long listnof models out there. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ocean_Spirit
20-09-2015, 12:27 PM
OS

Please explain, $80K ? What is that going to buy (roughly) What size motor? etc
Says he with two 115HP Old-tecs (probably run in by now)

Thanks
Regards
Chimo

Chimo - total cost after factoring in cost of the boat, repower, etc. Probably more than that by the time complete. But $80K - $90K is still $40K - $50K, saving on new and for that you have essentially all new replacement equipment for the gear that typically fails on a 10 year old boat (trailer overhaul including replacement of braking system, electronics re-wired and replaced, reupholstered, repowered). The new G2's start in the early 30's (RRP) but keep in mind that includes the power assisted steering system, digital touch screen gauge, fly by wire controls, stainless steel propeller, etc. The rigging on them is certainly neat.

The boat has been purchased for a trip (to accompany a mothership). I guess when you buy specific boats for long-range expeditions, you do quickly rack up 50 trailer boats in 50 years pretty quickly. For a lot of Seafarer buyers (like with other brands), it becomes a passion, and the boats hold their own on the resale market. The owner (like many others) swears by them.

Shark Poker
20-09-2015, 12:42 PM
See, you know better. I've spoken to plenty of dissatisfied Seaspearer owners, particularly of the 6.2m hull, but they couldn't be bothered posting like this, there's not much point. I'm defeated, you can act (more) smug now. It's ok.
Dam, I was going to leave this alone!! Haha more fool me hey?!

Fishard, what was the logic in commenting here? There is no way you were or are ever going to agree with someone who buys a new etec , let alone admits to it.
Especially if they have already shown a strong attraction for 'modern day info' as opposed to the mere 35yrs boating experience that you might offer to share.
Also, I think you can tick the 'caught a legal red' for sure now.
One More Drop, you can go away too. Go help Mr Nanks.
I just cut a hole in the floor of my boat. Bye

Chimo
20-09-2015, 12:45 PM
OS

What Seafarer model are we talking about?
Are you saying your fitting more than one G2?
I thought the smallest was 200HP, has this changed?
Where are you planning on taking it it?
Assuming maybe incorrectly that its for you?

Cheers
Chimo

Or PM if you wish

scottar
20-09-2015, 01:13 PM
It really does depend on the hull set up. Talk to enough owners, and a common theme appears - set up is crucial on a high horsepower, deep V hull of any persuasion. Couple this with different expectations and driving styles and you will find owners of any brand of boat that both swear by or loath any particular hull. Part of the issue is our price driven market place - things like trim tabs (in my opinion, an almost mandatory item on boats this size) can make a huge difference to a hulls performance. Skippering styles make a huge difference too - if a designer/builder has a skippering style where he drives his boats hard, the boat will typically be built to handle in that driving style. As such, if you are the type of skipper that prefers to set a slower, less frenetic pace then the same hull is probably going to require a markedly different set up (I know mine did) to get good performance. Unfortunately the laws of physics sort of make it exceptionally difficult for a designer to achieve both.

Ocean_Spirit
20-09-2015, 01:22 PM
OS

What Seafarer model are we talking about?
Are you saying your fitting more than one G2?
I thought the smallest was 200HP, has this changed?
Where are you planning on taking it it?
Assuming maybe incorrectly that its for you?

Cheers
Chimo

Or PM if you wish

Chimo - 6.2 hull (centre console per the one in my photo above), 1 x G2 200XH. Boat will be used predominantly in Sth East Qld, but trip is up North. Will message you.

boatboy50
20-09-2015, 08:21 PM
I worked for seafarer when this boat was built. They built some awesome boats and I'm a big fan, and I have owned many seafarers in my 40 odd boat ownership.

It is common knowledge however that the 6.2m hull that this boat is based upon has a habit of dipping the nose and taking some water over the how. Any research into the vagabond which was a popular cabin boat based on this hull would show this trait is common.

I take it from the seaspear comment this was a big issue for fishard. Basic research should have prepared you for this trait. I've heard it mentioned many times on this forum.

Darren

Darren

Chimo
20-09-2015, 08:47 PM
But quite manageable with reasonable boat handling.

Chimo

scottar
20-09-2015, 09:21 PM
I worked for seafarer when this boat was built. They built some awesome boats and I'm a big fan, and I have owned many seafarers in my 40 odd boat ownership.

It is common knowledge however that the 6.2m hull that this boat is based upon has a habit of dipping the nose and taking some water over the how. Any research into the vagabond which was a popular cabin boat based on this hull would show this trait is common.

I take it from the seaspear comment this was a big issue for fishard. Basic research should have prepared you for this trait. I've heard it mentioned many times on this forum.

Darren

Darren

The trait is common - but not only to Seafarer. Anyone who has spent any time in the first CC Outsiders will also attest to this - only difference being the water rolled down the walk arounds and into the cockpit as well. I've done it in the bay with a current gen CC625 hull. I've even managed to dip the nose on a 6.8 metre alloy Senator. Spend enough time in rough water at the wrong speeds (sometimes doing stuff you probably shouldn't have) and you will dip the tip.

outta line
20-09-2015, 09:32 PM
They all dip the nose
I only had problems in the short sharp chop with dipping the nose but once you learnt how to drive them in those conditions it was fine there was always the odd wave that would tell you otherwise on the not so good days ...Lol..
in the 500hours I put on my 2002 5.5 vouge it may of dipped the nose maybe 10 times mainly in a following westerly
my next boat was a 2004 victory with a 200 Jon/Suzuki first thing I did was sail track the clears to the screen and in the 700 hours i put on that boat it may of dipped the nose maybe 6 times in shitty conditions ... i used to cross the pin bar regularly and never once felt unsafe Evan having surfed the victory down the face of 2m runout pressure waves on 2 different occasions the boat showed no signs broaching at all although the heart beat rises a bit ..

scottar
20-09-2015, 09:41 PM
once you learnt how to drive them in those conditions..

With the clears up ;D. It was the Pin bar where I dipped the Senator - thank god for hardtops - makes the exercise sooooooo much more enjoyable.

scottar
21-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Anyone else been looking for storage out of the way for a couple of jerry cans once they are empty on the longer trips and have the Seafarer factory canopy extension fitted. Here is one possible solution that was inspired by a recent trip with Bannana.
110976 110977

All up cost about $90.00 excluding the jerry cans and tie downs. I will probably cover the cans with something to try and keep them from blowing up with the heat during the day.

Chimo
21-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Small silver tarp and loosen the vent just a tad and all good to go above the sunbrella. Could do the same on top of the hard top with them in a silver tarp sausage and tied of to the SS grab rails.

Cheers
Chimo

scottar
21-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Didn't think of the silver tarp option - thanks Chimo. Another trip to Bunnings LOL.

outta line
21-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Anyone else been looking for storage out of the way for a couple of jerry cans once they are empty on the longer trips and have the Seafarer factory canopy extension fitted. Here is one possible solution that was inspired by a recent trip with Bannana.
110976 110977

All up cost about $90.00 excluding the jerry cans and tie downs. I will probably cover the cans with something to try and keep them from blowing up with the heat during the day.

that was one of the main reasons i sold my victory as it only had 180L fuel under floor.on those extended trips i used to carry 7 jerries when fishing and would get the shits at the end of the day rearranging the boat for the night bunk down only to go through the same thing in the morning before before you wet a line.

i looked at ways to stow the empty jerries and dummied up that exact same thing on the extension with 3 empty jerries and went for a run offshore down here those extensions rattle around a fair bit so chose not to stow them up high on extension ...
you can fit 3 jerries in between your bow rails on top of your bow sprit and have a solid place too strap them .... i could still use my electric anchor if i needed so that was a bonus .. another place is your swim platforms if you have them it can be a bit tricky strapping them in so they don't float tho... you can also wedge them between the rod holders on your rocket launchers i found that was more stable than the extension ..

i also had a 50L ss water tank underfloor i could of changed over to fuel but didnt see the point as i would only cut down on 2 cans i looked into bladders but didnt like the idea of 100l swimming around on deck if it split.

i would run at 1L-1km

scottar
21-09-2015, 03:15 PM
I work on 1K to the litre as well. With the main tank, mods to the cabin footwell, the porta-potty removed and no water tank, I can squirrel away about 320 litres with only these two jerries on the floor at the start of the day which will be emptied and stowed prior to fishing - if we cant catch a fish with that amount I think I'll give up. I made the bars the right length to "preload" the extensions so hopefully that should sort a few of the rattles. We'll give it a rip and see what happens. The cabin is a bit cosy and will need emptying at bed time but in a 6 metre rig that was always going to be the case.

Ocean_Spirit
21-09-2015, 10:19 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ_-PQ1L_Fg

Shark Poker
21-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Yeah I love this clip. I appear at 6.15 mins as the demo driver on the Vagabond.
My new girlfriend at the time took a day off uni to come out with us, but she kept looking away from the camera unfortunately, so no footage of her was utilised. Afterwards we went to Sanctuary Cove and I cant really say what happened in that spacious cabin that evening.
What I can report is that when the 6.2m console passed us that morning, there was no point in chasing it. It flew.

The Woo
22-09-2015, 10:07 AM
I lived for Chris Conroy's World of Boats.
And defineately one of the very best hair pieces ever seen on television. How it stayed put during windy boat tests I have no idea.

ozscott
22-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Yeah I love this clip...My new girlfriend at the time took a day off uni to come out with us, but she kept looking away from the camera unfortunately, so no footage of her was utilised. Afterwards we went to Sanctuary Cove and I cant really say what happened in that spacious cabin that evening.

Mate as you keep seeing on this forum "It didnt happen without pictures".

Cheers

Chimo
22-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Q Did the new girlfriend become the wife? If so pics should be possible, if not pics could be politically unhealthy for Shark Poker.

A ?

Oz we have to play fair.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Oz been to repco or the web site yet?

Oceanic Dave
22-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Who was Chris Conroy? Is he still around?

Does Lindsay or Doug appear in any videos?

Ocean_Spirit
22-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Chris Conroy is a boating journalist (still around).

Doug passed away in 1969 Dave - so no, he didn't appear in this. Lindsay is driving the Venom.

shakey55
23-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Great to read your stories about your newer Seafarers.

I love my Seafare V-Sea which from a little research was built in the 70's.

Still very solid in the floor (never replaced). The transom was very soft when I bought it, so I replaced 80% of the transom myself.

currently running a 60hp Honda four stroke.

I find it a great sea boat and don't intend replacing it.

Ocean_Spirit
27-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Pretty slick rig with a repower...

Chimo
28-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Hi Ocean Spirit

Your pic looks like this
vBulletin Message Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sendmessage.php)

Watto79
28-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Seafarer's build quality is second to none!

Lindsay Fry was a perfectionist and it shows in his boats, I have a 2001 victory and people don't believe me when I tell them its 15 years old!

Its still running the original seafarer/tinka trailer too and going strong which is quite exceptional for a trailer that's been dunked in and out of saltwater it whole life with the boat being driven on and off!

Can see why these boats resale is still high for age that's for sure, great rigs..

On this topic, hoping a fellow seafarer owner can assist me I accidentally lost one of my small grey bungs from my live bait tank/insulated box..

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a replacement please??

scottar
28-09-2015, 04:10 PM
I use a length of poly irrigation pipe (19mm I think) cut to the length I wanted, with some "V"s notched into the end that gets pushed into the plug socket. A bit of electrical tape is used if a tight enough seal can't be achieved. Having the drain in such a fashion prevents bait from sticking it's nose into the drain and overflowing the tank - also means that by some freak of nature if they do manage to block the pipe, the original drain acts as a secondary. Can't help with a retailer for the plugs - both mine were gone when the boat was purchased.

Chimo
28-09-2015, 04:38 PM
And if you fit a tee on top of the irrigation pipe with short lengths of the same or similar pipe with a 45 degree cut, with long section to the top, you will never get a vortex and the excess flow will run out and you should never get an overflow especially if the pipe is pushed down into the outlet to keep the tank level down a little as Scottar indicated above. Gotta luv your old Seafarer!

Oceanic Dave
01-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Great to read your stories about your newer Seafarers.

I love my Seafare V-Sea which from a little research was built in the 70's.

Still very solid in the floor (never replaced). The transom was very soft when I bought it, so I replaced 80% of the transom myself.

currently running a 60hp Honda four stroke.

I find it a great sea boat and don't intend replacing it.

I know which ones you are talking about. I had a look at them yesterday, they have 25mm on the bottom so see if you can find a plug similar.

Oceanic Dave
01-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Maybe try this?

http://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/plumbing-bungs-and-drains-rubber-bungs-25mm-plas-waste-and-plug-50410/dp/10531

Oceanic Dave
01-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Found it, here it is: http://www.hillarysboatshop.com.au/product.php?productid=135202&cat=541&page=1