PDA

View Full Version : Compressed air engines? Huge for us!

el_carpo
24-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi,

Not sure where to put this so I'll go with Test board.

Did you guys hear of this new car they are making? It runs on a compressed air and fuel engine. They say that it produces ZERO pollution in the city and only a small amount in the country. It has a range of 2000 kilometers too. Sounds pretty amazing.

ALSO. They're working on nautical applications for this technology as well. How great would that be?! No pollution from boats and almost no fuel costs to boot! I really hope this technology pans out. It would be a boon for everyone but especially us fishermen. Ours costs would drop and we couldn't be called polluters anymore.

I'm deleting the link. It has been said that the man running the site is committing a fraud. He is reportedly taking credit for other engineer's work.

The technology is real though.

EC

el_carpo
24-02-2008, 11:49 AM
WAIT!

It seems that the company above is possibly committing a fraud.

http://www.mdi.lu/eng/affiche_eng.php?page=communique2

I have deleted the link in the above post as soon as I found out.

I guess the REAL engineers had signed an agreement with a company in India Tata motors to produce these cars.

TonyM
24-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Good job on finding that el_carpo.

There seems to be no shortage of leaches that steal intelectual property of others and try to take the credit

There was a thread on this not long ago, it's certainly an interesting concept, lets hope it pans out for them. Great to see some smart new engineering brains trusts having a shot at providing new options!

el_carpo
24-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Hello,

Earlier today I made a post in the test board area about a car using a compressed air/ fuel engine. Since then, I have discovered that the website I posted a link to was being run by a former employee of the company that invented the technology. He is apparently committing a fraud and trying to dupe investors for his own benefit and stealing credit from the REAL engineers.

I've since deleted the link (as soon as I found out) and also put up the following link from the real company.

http://www.mdi.lu/eng/affiche_eng.php?page=communique2

Sorry about that folks.

Noelm
25-02-2008, 07:08 AM
I have said this in the earlier post about this, it is not all as it seems, to make (say) 20HP out of a compressed air engine, it requires MORE than that to compress the air to run the Engine, sure it can be done at home or somewhere, BUT it still needs the Energy to run the compressor in the first place, all we can ever do at the moment is convert one form of Energy to another, (with a resultant loss) so untill we get fully free, fully renewable (maybe solar/wind) Energy, then we will never have a "miracle" mode of transportation (energy)

Brumby
25-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Well said Noel. The problem with these scams is that it's just so attractive; who doesn't want a pollutant free energy source that's cheap too.

The worst of it is that those marketing these things have to have an understanding of physics and know that they're peddling snake oil.
(By the way el carpo, this isn't meant as a dig at you - I'm no scientist and got just as excited about the potential of something similar until a few misgivings drove me to a mate who is - and who explained a few basic truths to me.)

Cheers

Noelm
25-02-2008, 08:05 AM
by the way, the compressed Air Engine will certainly work, you only have to look at the power of quite small Air tools, BUT it does not come free or cheap, but who knows, someone, somewhere may just find a way to get it all done, but I for one will not be using a hand pump for 10 hours, so I can drive to work the next day for free, and untill then, just pay for Petrol and live with it.

TonyM
25-02-2008, 08:37 AM
I wonder how it compares to say a lead acid battery as a means of storing energy?

I don't know how it would compare in terms of efficiency, although I imagine it would have to have less impact on the environment as a means of storing energy?

I definately wouldn't be using a hand pump, although I'd perhaps consider using solar power as an energy source to compress the air?

Noelm
25-02-2008, 09:03 AM
the same goes for the Battery powered device, you need something to charge the Battery, like (say) you plug in your charger at home, but the power comes from a Coal/Gas Fired power staion or maybe Hydro if there was some water left to run it! we could always have some sort of combo Wind and Solar system at home and have a swap over Battery setup or something, but untill then we just have to wait and see and hope for the best!

Noelm
25-02-2008, 09:05 AM
one other thing in favour of Electric cars (sort of) is the simple fact that even if we had a compressed Airmobile, we still need a Battery and Electrical system for the Lights and so on, and with that a means to charge it as well!

seabug
26-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Well,this topic sure gets the debate going.

Guess time will tell who is right.
And we do not have long to wait.

For the opinion of Field Palmer of Greenchipstocks,

go here http://www.greenchipstocks.com/articles/tata-motors-stock/212

Regards
seabug

TonyM
26-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Very interesting seabug.

Like you said, won't have to wait long to find out!

Cheers
Tony