PDA

View Full Version : Fishing line

Breambuster33
23-02-2008, 08:58 AM
hello guys and girls,
I am looking for some line for my wide selection of reels and i need something that is quality but will not break my budget as i am only 15. could any point me in the right direction. i have been looking at braid but it is far to expensive for a small spool these days
thanks
breambuster33

whiting-wizard
23-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I use
monofilement line which works fine but I still want some braid

Breambuster33
23-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Yes it does get like that but i am looking for some more information on which line would be better to use. Next sunday i will be tackling the big ones and im really not sure whcih line. i really want braid but issues arise when you look at the price
cheers

Tetsuo
23-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Just start with fireline for now. It costs a bit more than mono but will last longer

BARRAkid
23-02-2008, 11:21 AM
what fish and what reel is it going on ?
fireline and nitlon are probably one of the cheepest but decent braids

Breambuster33
23-02-2008, 11:37 AM
what fish and what reel is it going on ?
fireline and nitlon are probably one of the cheepest but decent braids

Im using it for some bloody big snapper of tweed heads so im gunna need pretty strong but dont have to much to spend at just spent it all on my boat

Outsider1
23-02-2008, 12:47 PM
A bit more info would make it a lot easier to answer your question bb33.

1. What is/are the rod(s) and reel(s) you are proposing to use?.

2. Bait fishing (types)? or lures (types)?

3. approximate depth of water being fished.

There is nothing wrong with Mono, in fact some older and very experienced fishos won't use anything else (eg Handliners).

Braid does have its advantages eg lack of stretch in deep water bottom bouncing gives much better bite feel, but some will argue the lack of stretch also pulls more hooks out of fish.

It will depend on your rod and reel setup but you should be right with a 15/20kg mono line by the sound of it.

With Braid you can top shot 100/150 metres of braid on the top of some mono to keep the costs down.

Cheers

Dave

Breambuster33
23-02-2008, 02:08 PM
A bit more info would make it a lot easier to answer your question bb33.

1. What is/are the rod(s) and reel(s) you are proposing to use?.

2. Bait fishing (types)? or lures (types)?

3. approximate depth of water being fished.

There is nothing wrong with Mono, in fact some older and very experienced fishos won't use anything else (eg Handliners).

Braid does have its advantages eg lack of stretch in deep water bottom bouncing gives much better bite feel, but some will argue the lack of stretch also pulls more hooks out of fish.

It will depend on your rod and reel setup but you should be right with a 15/20kg mono line by the sound of it.

With Braid you can top shot 100/150 metres of braid on the top of some mono to keep the costs down.

Cheers

Dave

Will be using the line fore depths of around 20 meters and using lures should be using it on my saratoga i purchased of ebay(great reel)

Outsider1
23-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Will be using the line fore depths of around 20 meters and using lures should be using it on my saratoga i purchased of ebay(great reel)

Geez it is hard to get more than a few words out of you young fella:P

Righto a Saratoga reel you reckon, is this it?;

http://store.tacklemania.com.au/Items/13632?

Specifications
Product Code : KP60
Colour : Glossy Black
Weight : Only 462g
Line Capacity :
320 yards of 12lb
250 yards of 14lb
190 yards of 20lb If this is the reel and you will be fishing lures in only about 20 metres then 15 to 25lb Mono will do the job fine. A bit (1 to 2 metres) of heavier leader, say40/50lb if you have it. I assume you have a matching rod of around 7ft long and 15/20lb capacity!?

If you really want Braid then would suggest some 20/30lb Fireline. Fireline comes in 125 yard spools if I remember correctly, which should be enough if you topshot it over some mono line underneath.

Cheers

Dave

Breambuster33
23-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Geez it is hard to get more than a few words out of you young fella:P

Righto a Saratoga reel you reckon, is this it?;

http://store.tacklemania.com.au/Items/13632?

Specifications
Product Code : KP60
Colour : Glossy Black
Weight : Only 462g
Line Capacity :
320 yards of 12lb
250 yards of 14lb
190 yards of 20lb If this is the reel and you will be fishing lures in only about 20 metres then 15 to 25lb Mono will do the job fine. A bit (1 to 2 metres) of heavier leader, say40/50lb if you have it. I assume you have a matching rod of around 7ft long and 15/20lb capacity!?

If you really want Braid then would suggest some 20/30lb Fireline. Fireline comes in 125 yard spools if I remember correctly, which should be enough if you topshot it over some mono line underneath.

Cheers

Dave

mine is a bit different it has 12 stainless steel ball bearings but ill see if i can get some thanks

Outsider1
23-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi BB33, it is the line capacity of the reel I am really asking about. That will give me a guide as to the best size line to put on it for the fishing you are going to do.

Dave

chief 1
23-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeh mate,i'm 15 and was looking at braid but as you said it is far too expensive,i would get fireline,here it is around $30,depends how many lbs you want ( Heavier is more expensive then lighter line)

CHEERS

nigelr
23-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Platypus platinum. 20lb or 30lb if you're fishing big snapper and rough bottom/lots of kelp.
Cheers.

Martijnf
23-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Or Platypus Super-100 if you're worried about not enough fitting on your spool. It's quite a bit thinner than the platinum and still affordable at around $30 for a spool of 300m for 25lb.

Platinum would be cheaper though, about the same price but for a spool of 500m.. both mono btw

Since you say in your opening post you want to get line for a wide selection of reels you're prob looking at getting a few different breaking strenghts in which case (for the braid) it might be interesting to look at getting that off of ebay as well? You get some extra freight of course but if you buy a couple of different lines that should still save you a bundle.