PDA

View Full Version : 'I'm a skamp' Anyone know this boat? Bad boat buy!!

reelemin1974
21-02-2008, 09:31 PM
My first ever boat, gee we had some history.....well 1 days fishing history to be exact!!;D

I looked on the internet and found this boat in Sydney for $3300...I'm a skamp. I rang the guy....YES! he still had it.

I made the arangement to take it for a run the next day.

Off we went down to the Roseville boat ramp, It was a fibreglass 'steber craft' one of the old ski type boats with a 70hp johnson on the back. We slid her into the water, turn the key.....what a sweet sound (to my obviously DUMB ears anyway).

Me and my brother piled in with the owner and away we went. This thing flew!

He took it up middle harbour a bit then, low and behold, it was getting dark so we HAD to head back. I had a whirl and it was a done deal. Paid my deposit, I would pick her up that weekend!! My first boat!!;D

The bastard actually got me to come to his place and repair his floor for him as a favour (I'm a carpenter). So once that was done I payed the money, and we hooked the boat up. Hindsight is a bitch! As we were hooking the boat up the owner started sweating profusely, I thought this was wierd, it was overcast and cold. Only later did I add up that this is an OBVIOUS nervous reaction some people get when they lie!!

I could hardly sleep that night with the excitement of my first trip in my little beauty!

Up at 5am and off we go to Akuna bay. Turn the key.....theres that magical sound again!! Off we go, 100mph down the river....this is the life.

I should point out at this point that I had been fishing for about 3 months so we knew stuff all about it.

First spot, we got a few bream, and went quiet, up anchor, turn the key......wheres my magical sound?? We got it going by lifting the lever to rev it as we dropped it into forwards. next spot, no action....all of a sudden a massive school of Salmon errupted around us, they were everywhere. So I chucked my whole frozen squid into the middle while all the chasers started arriving and getting into them on slugs. I missed out and to be honest, I just wanted to get out of there as it was a touch embarrasing !!:-[

We could not start that motor again, and the slick in the water was getting bigger and bigger. Finally success lets try and make it back.

1/4 way there.....motor slows to a crawl for 3or4 mins....away it goes again.....1/2 way there revs are picking up and dropping...will we make it???

Finally we make it to the Akuna Bay harbour and 10 meters from the ramp.....dead....we drift into the ramp. and head home.

Monday morning, I take it to the outboard place and then off to work. 12:00....ring ring....hello.......are you sitting down because the motor is totally F*****. How you ever got that motor to run is beyond me!!

Final score, the guy gave me $1000 back and a 2hp Aux that I sold. I got $500 at the wreckers as apparently the cam shaft was good. But all up once I got a trade in for 'I'm a Skamp' hull I ended up $1000 out of pocket, Pretty expensive trip to just look like a d***!LOL

So, any young or old blokes buying their first boat, get it checked by a mechanic!:-[

Has anyone seen I'm a Skamp out on the water? I would Pi$$ myself if ever I saw it again....Ahhh the memories!!!

Horse
21-02-2008, 09:53 PM
I think a lot of us have fallen for a scam at some time or another:-/ .
I was lucky enough to get my $ back from a shyster back when I was a youngster about 20 or so when he sold me a very dodgy donk>:( .
I was a bit bigger and a bit meaner than he was and he saw the light:o . I doubt I would get away with it now;D . The law would protect the scumbag:P