PDA

View Full Version : G.P.S Marks

poss
21-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi Everyone.
Im after the best place to gather marks for the moreton bay area eg reefs eastern side and reef areas inside. is there books ect that give you accurate starter points, am new to the area and just need some marks to get me started.Love chasing snapper,black king,spanards,pearlies ect, also somewhere to take kids for some fishing,swimming ect by boat.

poss.

Blackened
21-02-2008, 09:28 PM
G'day

There's a little booklet thats around at tackle shops.... think its called top 500 gps points or something? About the size of the tide guide.

The victorian rival website has an ok database of gps points,

Also some of the guys here may share some

Get a chart and study it is your best option.

Dave

Tangles
21-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Google Earth is also good

Mike

timddo
21-02-2008, 11:03 PM
yeah, google earth and look for the boats. Where their is boats parked. there is fish.

Manjilad
21-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I just scanned Beacon to beacon again - I always learn something new ... this time I notes ship wreck around the top of moreton ... anyone know where I can find the GPS marks for them .... I'd like to drop a line there for a look see .. on my way out further ......
Cheers and TIA

toolman2810
22-02-2008, 02:28 AM
hehehe My chart plotter showed a couple of wrecks not far from the Briz river mouth. I thought yeah, will give these a fish. zoomed right in to 20 meters am idling along absolutely over the top of them. Nothing on the sounder in 5 m of water. Googled the names when I got home. Both wrecks were pissy little timber boats that sank 50 odd years ago. All rotted & drifted away 40 years ago me thinks. Not sure what the morale of that was, maybe some gps spots people give you are rot ? I normally fish mud & still havn't had a good day. Sometimes I think Mud is a code name to put inexperienced fishers of the trail.
I really don't know but if there was a book of gps sites I would pay in gold

backlash08
22-02-2008, 04:40 AM
plenty of books out there guys, tackle shops, newsagents etc, have general areas, thats the best anyway, general areas and search from there
Cheers
Craig

Leighton
22-02-2008, 05:13 AM
hehehe My chart plotter showed a couple of wrecks not far from the Briz river mouth. I thought yeah, will give these a fish. zoomed right in to 20 meters am idling along absolutely over the top of them. Nothing on the sounder in 5 m of water. Googled the names when I got home. Both wrecks were pissy little timber boats that sank 50 odd years ago. All rotted & drifted away 40 years ago me thinks. Not sure what the morale of that was, maybe some gps spots people give you are rot ? I normally fish mud & still havn't had a good day. Sometimes I think Mud is a code name to put inexperienced fishers of the trail.
I really don't know but if there was a book of gps sites I would pay in gold

Ha Ha sometimes I do thing Mud is " Smoke and Mirrors "
The book you want is " 500 Hot Fishing Spots GPS and Co Ordinates from Cairns to Byron " a massive $10 bucks

Outsider1
22-02-2008, 07:41 AM
I bought 500 Hot Fishing Spot & GPS Co-ordinates when it first came out. True it has plenty of spots, but the datum they were recorded under is missing. I e-mailed the author at the time, but he did not have the information. So the accuracy is very debatable to me. Great idea, poorly executed it would seem.

Cheers

Dave

trueblue
22-02-2008, 10:30 AM
which one is the victorian rival website? have not seen that one yet...

G'day

There's a little booklet thats around at tackle shops.... think its called top 500 gps points or something? About the size of the tide guide.

The victorian rival website has an ok database of gps points,

Also some of the guys here may share some

Get a chart and study it is your best option.

Dave

Blackened
22-02-2008, 10:55 AM
which one is the victorian rival website? have not seen that one yet...

G'day

F!shnet

Dave

Smithy
22-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Oziexplorer.com and the Sunmaps. Can't go wrong. Even first priciples off the Sunmaps but Ozi just makes it so much easier.

tiny_tinny
22-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Have a look at Google Earth - the detail of much of Moreton Bay is pretty good. Place the cursor over spots of interest and you can get lat & longitude. Punch those into your GPS and go and check them out. I've found a couple of good spots that way.

Mike

Longshot
22-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Try this link http://www.fishnet.com.au/information/gps/brisb.txt

levinge
23-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Buy yourself a copy of the Northern Fishfinder costs atout $25 from Newsagents and Tackle shops. Runs Topo maps, descriptions of ramps i.e. number of lanes, tidal access etc, has GPS marks for Wrecks, reefs and shoals and best thing is if you intend to travel around, it has listings from Port Headland WA right around to Sydney (in ltest edition). Also has alot of other info in it. Its the bible in my boat and has put us on some good fish..

poss
23-02-2008, 11:33 PM
thanks for everyones input.
poss

BaitThrower
24-02-2008, 09:15 AM
f you have GPS mapping/chart software on your PC, check out Nugget's Pin Map. I transferred most of the spots to my GPS via its PC mapping software (Garmin MapSource) by roughly entering close approximations of these locations in the software map then transferring these to the GPS. Will check them out when on the water.

Thanks Nugget!

http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/information.php?info_id=8&osCsid=ot3pt3g8m2hi67k8co7fkrbbk3

Manjilad
26-02-2008, 03:16 PM
In tha middle of doing a little shipwreck research heres a sample ....

"On a good day the site is covered with thousands of tiny baitfish, attracting their fair share of larger predators."

"life is more prevalent ...when large schools of snapper and yellowtail kingfish seem to be settling in for the night .....Underneath the deck ... large estuary cod can be found lurking in the shadows . ... bringing these huge cod out and above the wreck to compete with the pelagics for any food coming down current "

"wreck is alive with marine life, particularly pelagic fish species such as the schools of kingfish and trevally that can be seen circling the wreck ...."

Where u say? .... wheeeel now, it would not be fair if you fished there B4 I had a go ... would it? .......but I am a generous guy so here's all tha GPS u can handle ... hehheheh !

... now back to fishing ...... somewhere ......... oh ..... a storm just came in ..... over the radio said ......."windows closing down due to an exception error" ...... me fair sailing tub XP heading for Davey Jones ....better get onto the VMR for some help .........::)

Cheers!

gawby
26-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Mate try this site and follow the promps
http://www.marinews.com/fishing.php
Graeme

BigE
26-02-2008, 06:11 PM
mud takes a bit to work out lots of productive spots but they fire in short bursts then you need to search for more fish. be quite stay away from crowds and think about your hunting tactics if your catching ask why ? if your not ask why? try not to repeat the behaviours that aren't working.

BigE