PDA

View Full Version : yamaha hpdi anyone experienced problems

Cam-82
21-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I have a 200hp yamaha hpdi on the back of my 7m platey i was just wondering if any other members either own one of these or have previously owned one and if anyone has experienced any problems my motor has about 400hrs on it.

thanks
brendan

-Beefa-
21-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Brendan,
I have a 175 hpdi, and it locked up at around the 200hr mark, for no apparent reason, Yamaha could not give me a valid exuse in my opinion, tried palming blame at me for several poor reasons but rebuilt it under waranty anyway, goes good now and have done approx 100hrs since but always wondering if it might happen again.
apart from that it is a great motor.
Regards
Beefa

Alchemy
21-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Interesting that yours had the problem at the 200hr mark Beefa. The 130hp yammie (not hpdi) I had on the last boat locked up at around the same hours. No probs from yamaha though, they paid for a rebuild once they inspected the motor.

I realise the question was specifically related to hpdi, but I was told at the time that yamaha had had some issues with their V4 and V6 engines of the 2 stroke variety (both hpdi and the others).

Regards,
Dave.

Cam-82
22-02-2008, 09:20 AM
beefa did yamaha give you any idea of what caused the lock up and if it could have been avoidable

FNQCairns
22-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Large HPDIs of the age to have a few hours up and have not been updated are a bit of a worry.

Yamaha had all sorts of troubles with these engines in the US (so here too) but a consumer has more leverage over there.

Some of the excuses were the setup was never done correct by the mechanic as it was relatively specific in regard to dialing in oil supply, to many other reason speculated on.

LOTs of unhappy folk have bought them and will never go Yamaha again, it was on par or worse than with FICT and even OPTI dramas over blown up engines and engines that never actually ran right ever! Although many Yamaha owners were tight lipped in regard to problems as are owners to day of all the new engines when it comes to problems that get fixed for nothing.

If you have a specific problem, over coking was a real consern also, do a Google search on them but get yourself comfortable for many hours of reading peoples troubles if you chase it around the net.

cheers fnq

ozscott
22-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I wonder sometimes if confessing to having a dog motor is like confessing to a dodgy wife...you might have one but you dont go telling people you made, even innocently, a dud choice.

I suspect that some people who have new tech motors that have problems also dont like talking about it for 2 reasons...one they have paid a sh_t load for them and dont want to admit that they might not really be worth it and two, they have an eye to re-sale down the track. For example I saw a Patriot that looked in mint condition for well less than what it should be advertised for...look on the back...arrrhh the big white FICHT.

Cheers

FNQCairns
22-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I wonder sometimes if confessing to having a dog motor is like confessing to a dodgy wife...you might have one but you dont go telling people you made, even innocently, a dud choice.

Cheers

Classic!!;D

Smithy
22-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I am pretty sure one of the guys working out of the Bayside area of Brisbane with a commercially registered trailer-boat had one blow up on him out of the blue like a Poptimax or Ficht with very minimal hours.

Cam-82
22-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I bought the boat second hand with the motor. I have been thinking lately about changing to a pod and twin 130s at some stage down the the track a bit like when the bank account starts looking up.

glennoceanic
23-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Gday
I had a Cairns Custom Craft with 2 x 150 hpdi's and they were perfect never missed a beat. Sold it all when they had just under 700 hours on the clock. Guess there is always going to be the odd bad one around.
Cheers