PDA

View Full Version : Ideal powersource

Breambuster33
21-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Hello everybody,
I am just about to purchase a fishfinder for my boat and am not sure what power source would be ideal to power my fishfinder i don't really want a big battery prefer something compact
cheers
bb33

Noelm
21-02-2008, 07:58 AM
there is heaps of compact Batteries available these days, from those fully sealed ones that are used in Burglar alarms to Motor Bike Batteries, a virtual Mountain to choose from, just go to a Battery place and have a look.

freddofrog
21-02-2008, 08:27 AM
How about just one of those jump start ones, generally comes with lights etc? I use one for overnighting, very convinent.

Shagga
21-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Check with the manufacturer of your fish finder they may be able to help.

joeT
21-02-2008, 01:51 PM
If its just for your fishfinder and not to power lights, just a small motorcycle battery or similar will do. Jaycar (www.jaycar.com.au) stock a few rechargable and deep cycle small batteries.

Breambuster33
21-02-2008, 03:15 PM
How about just one of those jump start ones, generally comes with lights etc? I use one for overnighting, very convinent.

Hey mate,
yea i have one of those but i lost the charger so i went down to supercheap and they said they wont split the jumpstarter and the charger
ill keep looking

Spaniard_King
21-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I bought one from BCF for my young blokes tinny.. he runs a lowrance x65 all day with it... $36 :(

PEXDUDE
21-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey mate,
yea i have one of those but i lost the charger so i went down to supercheap and they said they wont split the jumpstarter and the charger
ill keep looking
Any 12v power pack that has the correct plug will do the trick, as long as it can supply enough current.
I have one of these jumpstarters, it uses a charger of 12VDC @ 500mA. It is the smaller type that has a 7.2A/hour battery inside.
If you divide the Amp Hours by amp rate of the power pack, it will give you the approx maximum charge time, eg 500mA charger would take approx 14 hours to charge a flat 7.2 amp hour battery.
Jaycar is a good starting point to find a replacement charger.

freddofrog
21-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey mate,
ill keep looking

If the same one is at supercheap, take note of the specs and as Greg said, go sus out Jaycar.com.au they'll be able to sort you out.

Tassie JR
21-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey mate i got mine from bias boating, i got the 12v one for $56 but i think there is a smaller one as Spainard king said for around $30-$40. I was only getting the smaller one as well but i chose the bigger one because i have to run my radio, sounder and lights of it.

cheers tassie JR

BaitThrower
22-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I got the 17Ah AmpTech one from BIAS. $89. Got a 12v 3-stage charger off ebay for about $40 that seems to work well. Decided to get the 17Ah one over a smaller one as I occassionally need to also run nav lights and some general boat LED lights. I need to switch my red/green nav lights to LEDS though because they are regular type and really chew the battery juice!

pursuit001
28-02-2008, 05:37 PM
hi bream buster myself id just buy a 12volt motor cycle battery ie can be bought from battery world they will run your sounder all day and are easy to store away
cheers