PDA

View Full Version : boat costs

sid_fishes
20-02-2008, 05:38 PM
i,m looking at building a plate cat in kit form. now after looking at all the sites for cats i have to ask the question;why is it that finished plate cats are basically the same price as glass cats. why are glass cats so dear? it takes 1 guy to use a chopper gun for the glass cat, ally cat takes 2 to form up. ally plate comes in at $6.60 a kilo plus, glass? to fit the deck in glass 2 poeple , rivets sikaflex rubber strip. ally plate welding, welding and more welding and so it gos on. why is this so??can someone tell me why this is so cheers ian

sid_fishes
22-02-2008, 06:22 PM
guess not, so il just shut up now, work out what suits me and just do it. thanks for the rush of answers cheers ian

Outsider1
22-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi Ian,

sorry I know nothing on the subject, but I do know that Peter Webster of Fisherman And BoatOwner Magazine has a lot of experience and strong opinions about kit form Aluminium boats. Might be worth giving him a call or sending him an email.

The website link is;

http://www.seamedia.com.au/pub/index.php

you might even find some tests in the library.

Cheers

Dave

Dean1
22-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I think theres definetaly alot more profit in making a glass boat over a plate ally one. Surely someone on here knows the answers?? Glass, resins etc have got alot dearer over time i know that, especially when fuel went up in price, apparantly the two are tied in together.

PinHead
24-02-2008, 06:52 AM
I think they are all overpriced.
some prices from a recent magazine: 6.75 m glass boat..from 98k
8m glass boat - from 133k
these are monos and some of the plate prices seem up there as well.

steve99
24-02-2008, 07:40 AM
It takes more than one guy with a choppergun to lay up a boat -minimum 2 -maybe 3
How much does a choppergun cost - probably- 30 grand. Thats got to be factored into the price.