PDA

View Full Version : number plate

ozbee
20-02-2008, 01:02 PM
can you mount your number plate on back of your mudguard as the last three trips i have ripped it of on potholes at the back just cant find a spot higher enough at back. low swung duel wheel trailer .8-)

Marlin_Mike
20-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I think you will find thats a no no.

It would be obscured from being seen by speed camers and red light cameras, therefore you would get booked for it being in the wrong place.

Mike

Leighton
20-02-2008, 02:31 PM
needs to be illuminated as well

lippa
20-02-2008, 06:17 PM
some people attach the number plate via 2 links of chain, to the trailers chasis,its ugly, but effective. give it a go. will save re wireing for the number plate light

cheers

lippa

fez
20-02-2008, 08:48 PM
What about putting a piece of retangular rubber behind the plate and then screw this rubber to where the plate joins the trailer with a 3-4cm gap. This will allow flex between the plate and ground thus avoiding a snap off. Hopefully this drawing will help.

Cheers,
Fez

Eagle
20-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I am adding two vertical round bars to the rear of my trailer to help guide the boat onto the trailer and also to mount the lights so they will be about 1 meter above the water. I asked the cop shop about mounting the number plate and they told me it was perfectly legal (they also made inquires) to mount the number plate in a VERTICAL position on one of these bars. it made no difference whether the N/plate was read from the bottom up or from the top down. This is my next project after I repair all the rain damage to the driveway around our home. The driveway is only 600 meters long so I have a lot of work to complete first.
Eagle

aussiebasser
21-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Mine was mounted on a couple of hinges. After a trip to Awoonga with my brother following me, he mentioned that once I got to 60 k's the wind blew it flat and it couldn't be read.

PEXDUDE
21-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I believe it needs to be readable from 45 degrees left to right and from an elevation of 20 degrees, I guess mainly for photographic reasons :-/

Alchemy
21-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I've had a similar problem, with one number plate already lost. Here is what I've done. Similar to the double chain link idea, but used a shackle each side and a piece of flat aluminium riveted to the back of the number plate. Also re-wired the trailer and fitted LEDs all round. Don't know why these guys couldn't have wired the trailer properly in the first place!

Regards,
Dave.