PDA

View Full Version : how many days???

rando
20-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Since December 1st how many days fishing have you managed, and where did you fish.
I am interested in hearing from boat fisherman rather than landbased .
Is it my imagination or has this been an unusually long period of poor fishing conditions for boaties.
To start the ball rolling ,Ive managed three outings since December 1st.
As most of you know, all my excursions have been as deckie.

kingtin
20-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks a lot mate ::)

Here I am, still trying to justify having all this money sitting on the drive, and you pose a question that has me thinking about selling again ;D

Managed to wet it once for the bay closure rally and got less than an hours fishing in later in the river. First time in 6 months.

Limped home on 3 wheels and have to replace bearings and hub...........is it worth it?...............my deckie keeps asking.

kev

SeaHunt
20-02-2008, 10:50 AM
I only got about half as much sitting on the drive (well garage) as you Kev and I am seriously thinking of swapping it for a camper or 4by upgrade.

Lets see, ....... forget December and first half of January.
Had one day in the Brisbane river the weekend before Australia day.
Australia day long weekend was good, went to Toogoom and had 2 good days out on the 8 mile reef out from Burrum Heads, even caught fish, 3 types of macs and big Queenie.

Then Saturday before last out on the bay, no fish though.
There is always next weekend.

kingtin
20-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Even the tinny has only been wet for an hour in 7 months :'(

Do I sell 'em both and get a runabout, seeing that I can't even chuck a cast net anymore? Seems that I spend more time camping at the pin and the tweed nowadays, so one has to be practicable I suppose.

Decisions...........decisions.........decisions... ..<sigh> http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_113.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

kev

rando
20-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Dont beat yourself up Kev. !
Think of all those fish out there that have'nt seen a bait all summer

budge
20-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I would be in the five to ten range. I have only got a 4m tinny so I am normally confined to sheltered waters anyway. My trips have mainly targeted donnybrook and Burpengary creek regions. Looks like i have missed out on the spinning for macs this year out from the bottom of Bribie, not the best weather for spinning off the front deck of a small boat when you've got swell that is lifting the head of your electric out of the water. Haven't been out in the boat for over a week now I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

SeaHunt
20-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I can't throw my cast nets either Kev, cept maybe in the bin.:'(
Both been ripped to shreds, might have to invest in a new one.:-/

I know one thing from experience, as soon as you sell your boat you will miss it and start looking for the next one.

ozbee
20-02-2008, 12:36 PM
mate your lucky its been pretty good in the north compared to last year the mrs just opened the fuel account $1500 for last month shit im in trouble. i said that includes the mower fuel didnt help much.weather looking alright for this weekend i wonder.....................

kingtin
20-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I can't throw my cast nets either Kev, cept maybe in the bin.:'(
Both been ripped to shreds, might have to invest in a new one.:-/

I know one thing from experience, as soon as you sell your boat you will miss it and start looking for the next one.

Mate, I've got a practically new full size drawstring (centre pull) if you want it (freebie). I'll never chuck it again if my instincts ring true. Just haven't got the strength I had 12 months ago.

I'm almost certain the big rig will have to go too as the whole family get sick offshore and the fun just seems to have gone out of it for them. (and for me watching 'em puke). I can't justify a boat that size just for myself, and downsizing seems a distinct possibility as they love inshore boating.

Sorry to hijack the thread Rando but it's not only weather that is keeping folk off the water. I think a lot of folk are trying to put more hours in due to their economic uncertainty from what a few have told me. Weather wise, the building trade gets laid off when weather's crap and then have to go back when it's good.........so when they're off, they can't get the rigs out, and when it's fine, they have to work.

We were supposed to be at the pin this weekend and the deckie has been put on call, even though she specifically said that she didn't want to be. What can she say when they tell her there's no-one else to cover? If an organ became available and they couldn't retrieve it because they hadn't got a full team? Does she let them down or let me down? If it were me, I couldn't let the hospital down, so fishing/camping takes a back seat until such time as Qld Health gets it's act together.

kev

Silent
20-02-2008, 12:44 PM
good question!

Can't remember how time did I boating in Dec....My memory has clear up

From 1st Jan I think 4 outing into creek for prawn & crabbing...twice failure motor starting at glassy days...haven't visit mud yet this year:-[

Good time to get boat serviced!

joeT
20-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I got back to Brisbane in December after almost 2 years in London and have been out about 15 times since then. Been bashed around by the weather but hey thats why I got a rough weather boat. Too bad the fishing hasn't been great.

Kev, sounds like you need a few deckies on call to keep you out on the water when the missus or family can't make it. Happy to put my hand up for that :D

dogsbody
20-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Hmmm lets see now, yep i got it ZERO!

Still no towbar and a boat that lives 1.5 hrs round trip away. >:(

Dave.

rando
20-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Joe T
Good call on the deckie thing,
Kev, there are a heap of blokes ready to help you so you can enjoy your boat, just ask,,,, Ill pm my details, ring if you want someone to help you get on the water.

RE , the cast net, keep working ,exercising, it takes a lot longer at our age,,,,
I broke my wrist (minor break) Jan 2007,,,, still not 100%. Your recovery should be slow .
Having said all that, I don't mean to teach you to suck eggs, you will be the best judge of what you can achieve.

Rob

kingtin
20-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Joe, Rando, it's not just a deckie that I'm short of. If the deckie is working, then that means I have to look after the kids, so I'm shore bound anyway. Even with other deckies, I'd still be limited to only getting out when she could have the kids....ie off at weekends.............she's had just 3 off in 5 months and the weather has been crap on every one of them!

The only way I see it, is she has to change jobs, and I can't see that happening :'(

kev

Leighton
20-02-2008, 02:27 PM
9 Trips to the Southern Bay and up as far as Harrys.
1 Trip to Mud and St Hel
1 Trip to St Hel
1 Session in the Nerang River
Missed out on the awesome weather the other weekend
Total of 1 Shark, 7 Squire/Snapper to bring home. Biggest Snap going 62cm.

el_carpo
20-02-2008, 02:33 PM
It's winter here. Haven't fished since late October. It's 16 degrees F (-9 C). If I tried to fish, my skin might die (Frostbite). Yet another snowstorm is on the way I hear.......:brood:

Yipeeeee!;D

When's that global warming stuff gonna get here? I'm freezing my a** off! :end:

Hasn't stopped me from rearranging the tackle boxes and fiddling with the reels and fishing rods over and over and over again though.

Mid or late March ought to be warm enough. Might get a coho salmon or trout. Lord, I hope so!!! :worried2:

Freeeedom
20-02-2008, 02:44 PM
In the boat
10 trips up the Pine River
1 trip to Mud and Moreton
3 trips to Bribie
4 trips up Nundah Creek

On the surf ski
3 trips to Upper Pine River chasing mullet

When you add them up you can see the effects of the weather - only one trip in the open bay in a month and a half. I didn't fish much through the second half of December due to a shoulder injury which is still troubling me a bit
Cheers Freeeedom

finding_time
20-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I could add up the days but that would be hard work but ive done 110 engine hrs since Janurary with another 60 planned in the next 3 weeks!

Ian

disorderly
20-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I could add up the days but that would be hard work but ive done 110 engine hrs since Janurary with another 60 planned in the next 3 weeks!

Ian

Ian,the real question is...what have you caught during all those hours?http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

Vindicator
20-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Once in Dec to the hards, bagged out on snapper.
Week at rainbow, could only run the pots due to weather, 5 muddies for the week.
Two trips to hards in Jan, bagging out on tuskies on both occassions.
Troll around murphs, only one yf tuna and a mack tuna on the way home
Shocker out to the hards couple of weeks ago, one flying fish!
We'll see what we can bring in on friday at the hards.

Yeah I think I've had my fair share.

Cheers
Kezza

Tangles
20-02-2008, 05:18 PM
5 outings but only 3 of them fishing as one was boat rally etc, fishing southern bay from Viccie Pt to Peel and the Pin

Caught a couple for the table but basically caught my new best mate "Fred" a greedy under sized snappery bugga a couple of dozen times, that bloke sure gets around. Im fattening him up for next season;D

Reckon I'll probably run into 'Fred' this weekend again if i get out

Mike

Mike

Smithy
20-02-2008, 07:42 PM
27 days total.

13 on charter.

14 on private trips or on other boats.

22 on my boat, 5 on other boats.

3 days on the Gold Coast, everything else out of Mooloolaba.

If you take December out of it because I had a good run then my stats are pretty dissappointing.

9 days out in January.

0 charter days in January.

2 charter days in February so far.

5 days out in February.

There has probably only been one day this month I should have gone other than the days that I did do but the forecast was crap.

disorderly
20-02-2008, 09:03 PM
0 charter days in January.

2 charter days in February so far.

Smithy,the charter business sure sounds like a hard slog.
Hope the weather and business picks up for you.

Scott

nigelr
21-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Ah, that would be nought!
To busy at work, weather non-conducive for getting my boat over the bar when not working, too many boats on the river for my liking during the summer school holidays.
However there is always the beach, tho' I have caught very little for my efforts it's always great to get over and fish the surf for a couple hours to get a fishing 'fix'!
Law of averages says better boating conditions on the way, but the way the weather has been this year, hard to predict!
Cheers and here's hoping!

finding_time
21-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Ian,the real question is...what have you caught during all those hours?http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

Scott

We have caught enought to win Champion boat under 7.5 m at the Hervey Bay Game fishing Classic and Champion Boat under 8m at the G.C.G.F.C Riveria Light Tackle Masters ;) But i would have been nice to get more!:D

Ian

rando
21-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Strewth, Some of you blokes need to get a REAL job, I'm bloody jealous

disorderly
21-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Scott

We have caught enought to win Champion boat under 7.5 m at the Hervey Bay Game fishing Classic and Champion Boat under 8m at the G.C.G.F.C Riveria Light Tackle Masters ;) But i would have been nice to get more!:D

Ian

Good stuff..congratshttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif

NAGG
21-02-2008, 10:28 AM
1) .... only Nepean River casting for bass ( couldn't call it fishing);D

Lots of days lost during the last 4 weeks because of weather ... or the aftermath of floods!

Nagg

onerabbit
22-02-2008, 11:13 PM
You blokes make me sick,

how many trips since Dec 1???
Bloody one on the 2nd of Dec, that makes nearly 3 months without getting the boat wet at all, not counting a few dry runs in the driveway.

Not good for a bloke that likes to average twice a week to sea.

It's gotta improve at some point doesn't it???????

Muzz

SunnyCoastMark
22-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Hmmm - how many trips since 1 Dec?

My Centre Console has been used more for wakeboarding than anything else might have to put some of those big ass speakers up on the console and some spiffy decals on the side>;D ..............:(

Fishing - once in December chasing Flattes in the river

Had 26 days off over Christmas - got out through Mooloolaba once and even that was a washing machine.

Then had a window 2 saturdays ago - forecast 5-10 knots started the outboard up at home to check all was OK - and it wasn't>:( - Fuel/Oil Pump was stuffed..
grrrrrrrr - only good thing was that it was fixed under warranty - thanks to the boys at Qld. Boating World. Pick her up tomorrow am - so we'll see what this weekend bings.

Mind you the forecast is all over the place::)

Mark

SunnyCoastMark
24-02-2008, 09:19 AM
...............and the run of bad timing/bad luck/bad weather continues.:'(

Due to family timetables we weren't able to get out until after 3.00pm Saturday. The bereau had been forecasting this 25 knot SE change to come through all day and it hadn't eventuated yet.

So thought w might be able to race out to murphy's for an hour or two before it hit.

So we get half way out - there is a squall line coming through frm the south and it hits! So had no choice but to turn back.:(

Thought we might be able to anchor up inside Point Cartwright but even there was like a washing machine.

Try again today...........:-/

Mark

Scott Ashe
24-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi,
For the first 2 weeks of December I couldn't go anywhere as I was waiting for the all clear from my doc after a serious operation. Managed 2 trips between mid december and christmas for a total of 6-8 sandies.

Managed another mud crab trip Feb 1-2 for 1 muddie.

At this rate my new yammy will probably need it's 12 month service at 2 years, simply because the weather is crap and can't use it.

But it does look like I have done a few more trips than some of you.

Hope the good weather turns up soon.

Cheers
Scott

Xahn1960
24-02-2008, 10:36 AM
ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH...... Living in Mt Isa I only plan on 5 or 6 trips a year anyhow, with luck March will see trip 1 for 2008.

Bill.