PDA

View Full Version : Do etec motors have a run in period

dnej
18-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Do etec motors have a run in period,at certain revs?
David

LINZ_74
18-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi David, apparently they don't need a run in period you can just open her up from the minute it is bolted on. But in my case (i have the 115 e-tec) i still treated it like all other outboards and varied my rev range the first few times just to let everything settle in.
More force of habbit more than anything.

Lindsay

BaitThrower
18-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I reckon all motors should be run in... even if they say they don't then I'd still do it anyway, even just for the first outing so everything gets properly seated. You probably wouldnt know the difference for another 10 years though, but after that you probably either have a well-running motor, or one ready for a full rebuild (or the dump)

notsa
18-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they do have a run in but it is automatic in that after so many hours ( 10 I think) the oil ratio changes. This may be bull shit though.

tin can marlin
18-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I would be running it in if it were mine any company that says you don't have to service your motor for 3 years and also says you don't have to run your motor in would worry me. It sounds like a fairy tail to me. Regards mark

Jabba_
18-02-2008, 09:30 PM
These motors are ran in at the factory. Do you seriously think the manufacture would advise its customers not to worrie about a run in period if it was not needed.... From the horses mouth (Matt Smith @ BRP)

When I bought my E-tec, the first thing we did with it was prop testing with the Techie from Hinterland marine... We channeled out off the canal (2mins), and then it was WOT from Loaders creak to Currugie.... Changed props, and WOT then to Tipless, changed props, than WOT to Paradise Point.... Did some high speed manovers at Paradise point with the differant props, and then WOT back to Loaders creek.....

It seems there are some member here that are stuck in a time warp, and refuse to except that technology is evolving and improving.... Yes E-tec had a couple off issues when it was first released, but like the Opti Max it was more computer related then engine componets failing.... Those issues are sorted, and realy it's only real world usage that will only ever uncover underlaying floors in engine design and ecu programing.....

bustastu
18-02-2008, 09:34 PM
When I bought my 150 etec they indicated that there was no run in period however they said that the oil consumption would be a little higher for the first 10 hours.

I still however did and would recommend it be run in like any other motor (for a good 30 minutes before you flog it to see how hard it goes):D .

BS

tin can marlin
18-02-2008, 09:34 PM
You make some good points but how can you run a outboard motor for 3 years in salt water without pulling the leg off.

Jabba_
18-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they do have a run in but it is automatic in that after so many hours ( 10 I think) the oil ratio changes. This may be bull shit though.
There is a double oil period which is 10hr above 2500rpm... This it to finalize the run in from the factory... After the 10hrs it reverts to normal oil consumption automatically

Wahoo
18-02-2008, 09:40 PM
There is a double oil period which is 10hr above 2500rpm... This it to finalize the run in from the factory... After the 10hrs it reverts to normal oil consumption automatically

Jabba,
Factory run in.........how is this done? when you get a new motor, is the Hrs on 0, is it reset, dont really understand :-/

Daz

Jabba_
18-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Read this
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

My ute in action
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDVq36GsLA

I followed this advise when I built my 5.4 Quad cam Boss engine.... To this date it is 6th quickest in OZ for a Naturally aspirated V8 BA Boss Falcon, this year we will take the out right lead... We have not seen the full potential off this motor as our set up has been handi capped by our choice off diff centers, no drag slicks and we are carrying an extra 100kg....

This motor has had the living bejesus flogged out of it and it has just started to loosen up after 40'000ks... Compression is the same at the day it was put together..... Basicly what I am sayng is, too much enthisis is put into the runnig in off new tech motors...

Jabba_
18-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Jabba,
Factory run in.........how is this done? when you get a new motor, is the Hrs on 0, is it reset, dont really understand :-/

Daz

From the way it was explained to me. A different ECU is plugged into the wiring harness... Programed into tat ECU is the rev pattern for the break in procedure... Mat told me the procedure, but I have forgotten the details, but it goes something like this..

5min @ idle
2min @ 1500rpm
2min @ 2500
2min @ 4000
2min @ 5000
2min @ WOT

When the procedure gets to 4000rpm a cage is lowered over the motor in the event the motor throws a rod.
Again that is not the ezacked run procedure as my memory is failing me, and I think the WOT went longer, maybe 5min...

PWCDad
19-02-2008, 08:19 AM
In my opinion the mototune run-in method is for land engines not marine.

Its very hard to load a land engine unless on a dyno .... you can use 2nd-3rd gear and a big hill to seat the rings but its hard to do on a big block with massive torque. I've tried running in big blocks on the street and have reverted back to the dyno for next one. Mototune says this way because most people dont load the engine enough in the critical ring seating period. The bores glaze and engine may be down on power or consume oil ... or both.

I use a leakdown tester to check ring seal in the first bit of run-in period if a serious engine (like one of my big block chevs, crate motor and 1971 factory engine).

Marine engines are ALWAYS under load driving a prop and for proper ring seal I'd follow the manufacturers recommendation whether that be no run-in for the e-tec or a regimented run-in like a Yammy 4 stroke ..5000 hrs on the Yams by following the factory procedure.

On the PWCs (4 stroke) we use the factory rev band to sit the craft just off plane which gives great ring loading to seat them in ...this is done for 30 mins then opened up after that ... I use 3 ten min sessions as the bores get pretty hot.

The 4 stroke engine runs 12:1 compression for 164 psi static .... makes 160hp from 1 litre .... sits on 10,000rpm all day ... runs a semi-dry sump etc. Speed is 60mph.

Not sure the e-tec will do 5000 hrs on its topend ? Maybe it will ? Time will tell ...

Just my 2 cents ....

PWCDad

pursuit001
28-02-2008, 05:48 PM
hi mate i own one myself and no they dont when i bought mine they said just jump in and open her up it double mixes the oil itself and once the 10hrs is up it changes back
cheers

cormorant
28-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi Jabba

I might be totally wrong.

I have never heard about the run in at the factory before. Seems weird as I have seen them out of the crate and there is no oil in the lines and the plugs are brand spankers.

I know the boron honed bores are supposed to negate the need for a run in period as they have a very fine tollerance and consistant surface for the rings to bed on.

A good dealer will tank test when rigging with a test prop to check it is all OK and probably put 10 minutes on it and prove she isn't going to throw a rod.

Be good if someone else can confirm that they are test run at the factory as it would mean there should never be a DOA motor and you could check compressions before accepting delivery.

Corm

oldboot
28-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I think too
the notion of running in has changed..... in the past the long run inperiod of engines generaly was to compensate for the poor finish and minor inaccuracies in machining and assembly.

The early low RPM period was to allow the valve train to lap it's self in, the following sligghtly higher RPM period was to allow the bottom end to finish sorting out the bearings and the final underload variable RPM stage was to bed in the rings...... At lease that was how an engine builder mate explained it to me.

In the past we were talking about engines that were not well balanced out of the factory and the facilities in the engine design to register all the parts accuately was poor.

modern CNC machining and design has improved things considerably and most quality engines built now would be as good as balanced and blueprinted engines of 20 or 30 years ago.
I would expect the run in period could very easily be reduced considerably.

Consider also the advent of computer engine management has allowed the programming of things like additional oil, modified mixtures and rev limitations that automaticlay go away at the right time.

I recon taking it easy for the first few hours would be a fair thing, but the notion of babying a motor for weeks I think is a thing of the past.

cheers

Jabba_
29-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Hi Jabba

I might be totally wrong.

I have never heard about the run in at the factory before. Seems weird as I have seen them out of the crate and there is no oil in the lines and the plugs are brand spankers.

I know the boron honed bores are supposed to negate the need for a run in period as they have a very fine tollerance and consistant surface for the rings to bed on.

A good dealer will tank test when rigging with a test prop to check it is all OK and probably put 10 minutes on it and prove she isn't going to throw a rod.

Be good if someone else can confirm that they are test run at the factory as it would mean there should never be a DOA motor and you could check compressions before accepting delivery.

Corm I am pretty sure the power-head is ran-in before it is connected up to the rest of the outboard.... That would explain the new plugs and no oil or fuel in the lines...

wingfisher
29-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Just bought one, no run in required, all done in the factory, lines are all drained and oil fogged for delivery, new plugs are fitted after factory test and run in.
A good dealer will do what is required to have it ready for you to go.
It seems there are a lot of you guys out there that some how do not realise that the year is 2008 not 1978! Just look at the advancements in the motor industry, let go of the past and accept modern technology. We would not be communicating on this medium if the same attitude was adopted in the computer world!