PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on 19' Vickers Easyrider boat

JOHNBULL
18-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Am looking at buying a 19' Vickers? Easyrider boat but i cant find too much about them on the net or from some boat yards. So if anyone can give me some feedback that would be great weather it is good or bad..........

ozscott
18-02-2008, 08:07 AM
from memory mate they were made in Brissy area and were a good hull - I am going from what I remember of a Webster magazine that commented on a number of old hulls. Being an older boat I recommend that you spend a couple of hundred on a Marine Surveyor to look at it...unless its such a bargain that you dont mind if the floor and/or transom/bunks are rotten...the floor alone for a 19 footer would probably be over $2k and the transom $1500-$2,000 say, so it can get costly if they are stuffed.

I also think from memory that the 24 foot Mustang was marketed as a Vickers also...and may have been built by Vickers for a while...cant recall.

Cheers and good luck

Noelm
18-02-2008, 08:15 AM
they are getting on a bit now, but in their day they were Ok, made in a few configurations, a half cab, an almost full cab and a runabout I think, they went Ok, A tad wet for what is a reasonably big Boat, and not all that stable, but still OK, but as mentioned get it checked if you do not know much about that sort of thing as repairs can be expensive, and if they need to be added to an already high priced Boat, then it becomes a real nightmare.

JOHNBULL
18-02-2008, 08:20 AM
I forgot to mention it is a half cab and looks to be in really good condition. It was mainly used in the river for the last 5+ years.

Noelm
18-02-2008, 09:00 AM
it may look to be in good condition (and it may be) but get it checked if you do not know how to do it yourself, or at least get a "Boat mate" to do an initial check and test ride/drive.

seabug
18-02-2008, 09:30 AM
As allready stated above ,
Get someone who has a lot of experience with rotten wood under the floor and in the transon.

Sometimes it is hard to tell.

Money spent proving that it is OK will be a cheap part of the total cost.

Regards
seabug

BGG
18-02-2008, 06:12 PM
If you are talking a fresh water river, then beware. Fresh water is not as kind to glass boats as salt water IMO. The original 186 Easyrider was a pretty good boat. The length was 18'6", the beam 7'10" and was rated to 200 HP when that was measured at the powerhead.

sleepygreg
18-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I have fished out of a 570 easyrider half cab with a 140 mercruiser sterndrive for many years while I was in Sydney..it was a mates boat....and we fished the ANSA tournaments both fresh and saltwater all over NSW. In that configuration it was one of the best behaved boats I have ever fished out of. Even coming home across Twofold Bay in a 50knot gale..still felt safe. And they arent a 'wet' boat, that big flared bow really throws the water away. Though the secret is the low centre of gravity and extra weight of the mercruiser. If you want to know more about this boat...PM me..and I will give you his contact details....he has owned the boat since new in about 1984.

Cheers

Greg

jimbo59
19-02-2008, 08:16 AM
I have owned a 18'6 runabout and it looked almost like a carbon copy of the reef ranger18.Apparently the two vickers bros worked for cruise craft and left to start easyrider.The boat was ok but im not a big fan of being smashed around in a boat in the bay so i got rid of it, most people would have driven to the conditions but i get frustrated and go hard,down the road a bit i got a formula then sold it because that even came down hard some times,i now own a 18 foot cat and its the best boat i have owned.

Noelm
19-02-2008, 08:26 AM
it seemed like the Easyrider, the Reef ranger and even the bigger Nautiglass where somehow all connected over the years, very similar Boats.

seabug
19-02-2008, 11:11 AM
it seemed like the Easyrider, the Reef ranger and even the bigger Nautiglass where somehow all connected over the years, very similar Boats.

Thats why my warning to check for rot.
My Nautiglass had very thin fibreglass over the keel -board and stringers and a puff of resin spray.

I bought it new as a cheap entry into boating.

Just shows ,"You get what you pay for "

Regards
seabug

seabug
19-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Thats why my warning to check for rot.
My Nautiglass had very thin fibreglass over the keel -board and stringers and a puff of resin spray.

I bought it new as a cheap entry into boating.

Just shows ,"You get what you pay for "

Regards
seabug

Further to the above.
Mine was early 70's V150 Cuddycab.

Regards
seabug

JOHNBULL
20-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has had an input and helping me out...Thank again

sleepygreg
20-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Did you give my mate a ring?

Greg

JOHNBULL
10-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that yes i did buy the boat and am very happy :) with it. Got a survey done and am even more than happy;D now as boat was valved at more than what i paid for it and everything is in good condition and ready to go fishing. Only have to put on some new springs for the trailer.
Took it for a run the other day and I love it handled well and goes quite nicely. Thanks everyone for your advice and a special thanks to Sleepygreg http://www.ausfish.com.au/yabbfiles/Smilies/thumbup.gif

ozscott
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
good to hear matey - well done. Got to post some pics now.

Cheers

sleepygreg
10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Your more than welcome mate....just hope my mate gave you the facts :)

Cheers

Greg

tin can marlin
10-03-2008, 09:18 PM
well done sleepgreg that is what ausfish is all about helping each other our. Your a credit to ausfish hope to see you out on the water one day. Regards mark