PDA

View Full Version : Clevland Ramp Saturday

malolo
17-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi Ausfishers

Was going for a bike ride down to Cleveland Point on Saturday Morning. Saw about 6 law enforcers there. (3 police and 3 Transport) they appeared to be checking every person going into the ramp area.

Anyone know what they were doing or get booked?

:-/

Lucky_Phill
17-02-2008, 09:23 PM
They are doing their job. Checking on roadworthy trailers, boat and trailer rego, car rego etc.

Phill

loophole
17-02-2008, 09:42 PM
thats alot of officers

MY-TopEnder
17-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Wow that is alot for a small area...

Fair enough patrol it, but that much man power??

I might just stay away from Cleveland for a while then... last thing I need is defects for oversize tyres and too much lift.

Local_Guy
18-02-2008, 09:44 AM
why are you worried Topender. is your vehicle a rolling defect making the roads less safe for the rest of us.

Rodman
18-02-2008, 10:36 AM
You need not worry if you are not breaking the law.
At least they are there showing the flag

Ken

seatime
18-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Now this is 2nd hand information and I don't have absolute evidence.

I was chatting with a local & regular user of the Raby Bay ramp early last year when retrieving the boat. The Police and Transport had been there the week before measuring and weighing trailers, checking for tie-down arrangements, and one boatie was warned about driving off with water draining out of the boat. Apparently, there's a chance that draining bilge water can be regarded as polluting, and an offence. Been meaning to follow up on this info but haven't gotten around to it.
Glad they're out and about, if it had been better weather they would've been busier?

SeaHunt
18-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Exactly gelsec, why don't they hit the place when it is actually possible to go out fishing, they might get to see a few more boats and trailers or whatever they are looking at.

MTAQ/BTAQ
18-02-2008, 01:51 PM
They were at Scarborough on Sunday but due to the 20/25 knots of breeze there were nil customers - also were seen at Shorncliffe looking for customers.

SgBFish
18-02-2008, 01:55 PM
It would be an easy way for a copper to get his kill sheet up hanging around a boat ramp inspecting trailers. Half of them aren’t registered and other half are rusted beyond belief. A lot of the cars pulling big boats aren’t rated to do it. It would be a picnic. Bring it on I say and get some of these death traps of the road.
Bilge water as a pollutant is going too far.

dogsbody
18-02-2008, 05:31 PM
At least it would keep a bit of theft at bay by the knobs.

Dave.

MY-TopEnder
18-02-2008, 06:40 PM
why are you worried Topender. is your vehicle a rolling defect making the roads less safe for the rest of us.

Its not a rolling defect in the sence that it has been done dangerously.

Yeah i do have oversize tyres, and a total of 4" of lift (legal). There is an extra inch of lift above legal, but it has all been done with safety in mind.

I've had the brakes upgraded and the bias adjusted so it stops as it would from the factory.

I know its legal, and an engineer knows its legal... but convincing some of the QLD Police force that it is isn't something I like to entertain the thought of.

bondy99
18-02-2008, 06:47 PM
The other thing that recreational fishers need to be made aware of is that they also enforce fisheries regulations. I raised a question with the Minister for Fisheries at the time, Henry Paluzek (not sure the spelling of his last name) but he was approachable. It was also reported in the Qld Fishing monthly magazine that Qld police will undergo training and take on the role of fisheries inspectors.

Peter

catfishkid
18-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I was driving around redcliffe on sunday and got pulled over outside the combie trader yard ar scarborough by a large group of law enforcement officials(Police & dept of trans)they told me they were checking all carr and boats,they check the hilux over,breath tsted me and sent me ot the way,they were friendly and polite and even waved when i came past on the way back out,as has been stated they were just doing their jobs.

Cheers Craig

NickCurrey
18-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Yep,

Boys were out there on Saturday, doing car, boat and trailer rego and roadworthy checks as well as safety gear. Polite and coutous and having nos, means they can do it quicker - no problem if "your clean". Some mates were given verbals about lights and brakes.

Nick

Redlands Boat Club

bondy99
18-02-2008, 10:46 PM
thats it, they do all of that as well as do on the spot warrant checks in case there may be outstanding fines that one has not paid. Multitasking

tenzing
18-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I had my boat and trailer checked by the boys last saturday am at Scarborough.
They were mainly interested in correct safety gear. They checked the expiry dates on flares and inflatable jackets.Checked for yellow capacity label ,Looked at trailer brakes and tearaway. They were very courteous and only held us up a few minutes.
The chap next to me was being written up at the same time. I assume it was over the safety gear.
Good on them. If you've got the gear and its in good nick then what have you got to worry about.
(at least we had a few decent fish on board at the time)

seatime
19-02-2008, 04:12 PM
How does one get written up for safety gear if the boat is on the trailer?

G'day, I doubt they could write you up on safety gear or boat rego before you've launched, possibly offer a warning. Providing the trailer is registered and the load secured, there's nothing to prevent you towing an unregistered empty hull around.
If they've observed you on the water and then retrieve the boat, then yes, I think they would be entitled to issue infringements for safety gear, etc.
I've been checked for safety gear and fish in the esky after pulling out of the water.

regards
Steve

tenzing
19-02-2008, 10:07 PM
How does one get written up for safety gear if the boat is on the trailer?
They had just watched the guy pull his boat out of the water. Brendan

oldboot
19-02-2008, 10:55 PM
That crew of 3 TX inspectors and 3 coppers sounds pretty standard.

they have been riding as pairs for years.
1 vehicle 1 copper 1 TX inspector.

the copper is not qulaified to inspect anything but minor defects and the transport inspector can not write the trafic ticket.

This will be a standard detail & you can bett they will be appearing at a boat ramp near you soon.

I've seen this sort of "package" plenty of times before. They love thte parking area just past the kingston butter factory flyover......thye car park was fuul of the local boys changing tyres and having their cars trailered and towed away.

If it is considered a risk they wont even let you drive it away till it is safe.

They have also been known to set up at the dump.

The standard drill is the copper will pull you over or come over, have a quick look arround the vehicle, check particularly the tyres, lights, obvious rust & licence ( and yes outstanding warrants.......if you & your car look respectable and you dont give him any lip.... it'll be drive on thanks & a police issue smile.
If you or your vehicle look sus you will be directed over to the transport inspector who will give the vehicle a serious going over.

I havnt seen one down here but up north they often travel with a shaker trailer....which appart form suposedly testing the stearing & suspension is aparantly good for getting the mud out from under your guards.

cheers

tenzing
20-02-2008, 10:03 AM
The guys at scarborough arrived by boat. I,m pretty sure they were water police. They did not look at the cars towing the boats at all
Brendan.

ps, they were definitely writing an infrigement notice to the owner of the other boat.