PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a Yanmar 6BY-260z - 260HP turbo diesel

Fatenhappy
17-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Has anyone got the good oil on where I can get my hands on a Yanmar 6BY-260z either new or low hours?

They are apparently no longer produced for the Australian market and have all the attributes that I am after for "Fatenhappy"s repower.

I have been sniffing both here and OS but to no avail.

They are a 260 HP turbo diesel common rail engine that is also NMEA 2000 compliant.

Any leads would be appreciated or conversely alternates with the same attributes would be considered/appreciated.

Cheers
Greg

finding_time
17-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Are you sure you want a motor that will be hard to sorce parts for? i know that one fit the bill but i'm sure there will be other suitable one around!

Ian

Fatenhappy
17-02-2008, 08:08 PM
hey Ian ...

No problem with parts, as they have only just discontinued it and all engines run out of their "life" sooner or later as far as retailing goes!

Just obtaining an engine is the challenge ...

As I have said previously, any other suitable NMEA 2000 & common rail compliant engine could be suitable in the 260 HP area range, but to me this is "gold" ..

Cheers
Greg

Lovey80
17-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey Liquid, just a quick question for you as you have been doing a lot of research on sterndrives. How much would it cost you to replace the leg you currently have on LR with a brand new one? You have a volvo on it at the moment don't you? Also can a bravo 2 or 3 leg fit onto most Volvo engines?

Cheers Chris

Fatenhappy
18-02-2008, 06:28 AM
G'day Chris ...

The engines out of LR and she is now on her way to her rebirth as Fatenhappy.

To cut a real long story short, the marina thing didn't work out due to security issues, so in with a semi trailer and crane transported her home then up and over over our back fence. So now the cheese and kisses recons she owns the ugliest garden gnome ever....

You are right about the research thing. I have been compiling a Marine Directory for myself of people and contacts I have made that might come in handy.

Re the stern drive, yep the Bravo series can be married up. From what I have been told, you will need an adator plate for the transom as the Volvo Penta sterndrives were a larger unit. That in itself is not a problem as they are apparently readily available.

If you are looking at doing a Shark Cat you will either need the Bravo 2 diesel version being longer or a Bravo 2 or 3 with extension spacers which can be furnished for up to a maximum 4" extension (2x2" spacers).

Have a chat to Lee Kenyon at Manly Harbour Marine Engineering 570 Royal Pde – Manly 38932199 or Fax: 38932188

I found him to be very good and from what he told me he had 3 Bravo 2 Diesel legs complete and ready to go, shields the lot at about 10 grand a pop ..... thats good buying for a brand new unit

Hope that helped
Cheers
Greg 0423 357554