PDA

View Full Version : GPS and Epribs

tunaticer
17-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever come accross a GPS and EPIRB combo for hiking etc with?

I would have thought this would be a commonsense combination for manufacturers.

There are a ton of Epribs out there with gps location however none I can find that are handheld gps plotters or chartplotters with inbuilt epirbs.

Jack.

SatNav
17-02-2008, 04:28 PM
1. Gme Mt410g

seatime
17-02-2008, 05:02 PM
nope, haven't seen or heard of a GPS plotter with an EPIRB function added.

The ACR Aquafix PLB/G-EPIRB does have a NMEA interface though, could be plugged into a plotter?

SatNav
17-02-2008, 06:41 PM
1. Ok if it's a GPS+Epirb and not Eprib+GPS then it will not happen with the current technology which has all to do with battery requirements/life and specific Cospas specifications and requirements.

2. To meet specifications the battery for the Epirb would have to be totally seprate to the GPS power supply. Power supply is a critical element.

3. Makes more business sense to build separate units for GPS+Epirb where as Epirb+GPS is a totally different concept and product.

4. Maybe with next generation systems with additional frequency capabilities then perhaps the navigation satellites might be able to double as a first response system? This will not occur in the foreseeable future?

tunaticer
17-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I was thinking for hiking into the mountains or heading out into remote rivers by kayak it would be lots simpler to have the one unit rather than trying to carry both items.

Jack.