PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount VHF???

Dean1
17-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi everybody, just curious as to where we are all mounting our vhf radios these days? I bought a new gme GX600 VHF yesterday and was wondering wether to mount it on the dash or under the dash in the cabin where some of my previous boats have had them. I have a 5.2 kevlacat( waiting for the knockers ;D ) which have a glove box with a clear door on the port side dash where the 27 meg is but i thought it would harder to access there. They are so compact now and claimed waterproof which makes me think the dash might be the go?? Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. Cheers Deano.

finding_time
17-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey Dean

Mate everybody knows you and i have KC's!!!

I mount mine it the in the box, it has the radio, 27meg and vhf ,1 above the other works fine and if i'm on it alot i just leave the mike on the dash and close the door( it does work)

Ian

Dean1
17-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey Dean

Mate everybody knows you and i have KC's!!!

I mount mine it the in the box, it has the radio, 27meg and vhf ,1 above the other works fine and if i'm on it alot i just leave the mike on the dash and close the door( it does work)

Ian Ha ha yeah Ian maybe where better known on here than what i thnk! The 27 meg is hanging from the top of the glovebox, my new vhf has a dashmount bracket, any tips on how to bracket it under the 27 meg???

boatboy50
17-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Dean,

I just remounted the VHF in my radio box also. It's mounted on the base of the box using the supplied bracket, 27 meg uses it's own bracket on the top, but I find it hard to see the display on the 27 meg. I moved the aerial up on top of the targa to achieve better range.

I have a GX600 in my Polycraft also. It's about 18 months old, and it is through mounted through the dash. The sun and continuous washing have taken their toll, and although the radio works perfectly, the screen is starting to go black and getting unreadable. As always, it's now out of warranty.

Regards

Darren

finding_time
17-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Hey dean

I have a custom bracket that drops down from the top with 3 sets of holes in it! This bracket had to be modified once i got the new icom as it was much smaller than the old gme!

ozscott
18-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Mate I have an Icom in my Vagabond, that is weatherproof and I would have thought that the GME would be also..I put mine on the dash where I can see the readout clearly and get to the mic quickly and easily while at the helm. I dont see it being a problem. Most of the time it does not get wet under the screen and bimini. Did cop a wave over the front once (rogue at Pin bar and not enough speed :)) and it got wet but wasnt a problem

Cheers

Vitamin Sea
18-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Dean

I have mine ( GME GX 600 ) mounted on the dash, below to the left of the wheel, have not had any real issues except that the internal speaker s%^t itself, have added a remote speaker.

They are a waterproof unit

Regards

freddofrog
18-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Dean

As other KC owners, mine is the radio box, 27MHz bolted to top, VHF to bottom.

It can be very hard to hear with the door closed so I have also just cut a hole in it and put a louve/vent over it to stop potential water/rain from getting in.(http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=92313&search123=vent&intAbsolutePage=1 ) .

Word of advice if you do this, make sure you actually cut the hole out. My brain was AWOL and I just screwed the vent onto the panel wothout cutting the hole out and wondered why it didn't sound any louder! :-[

cya
ff

Dean1
18-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Dean

As other KC owners, mine is the radio box, 27MHz bolted to top, VHF to bottom.

It can be very hard to hear with the door closed so I have also just cut a hole in it and put a louve/vent over it to stop potential water/rain from getting in.(http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=92313&search123=vent&intAbsolutePage=1 ) .

Word of advice if you do this, make sure you actually cut the hole out. My brain was AWOL and I just screwed the vent onto the panel wothout cutting the hole out and wondered why it didn't sound any louder! :-[

cya
ff Hey ff you had a shocker the day you forgot to cut that hole out ;D ;D We all make silly mistakes at times, thanx for the advice 8-)