PDA

View Full Version : Tell me the bad things about polycraft

TheRealAndy
17-02-2008, 11:17 AM
So far I am yet to here anything bad about these boats. They seem quite reasonable priced and I have only heard good things about them to date. So is there any bad points?

One question I do have, knowing that some plastics can often split, how would one go about repairing one of these hulls on the off chance it did get damaged?

One thing I did not like when looking at a few yesterday, was that the anchor well up front was full of water, no drain holes. Perhaps this can be fixed by drilling a few small holes so the water runs into the bilge.

deadbeatloser
17-02-2008, 11:24 AM
So far I am yet to here anything bad about these boats. They seem quite reasonable priced and I have only heard good things about them to date. So is there any bad points?

One question I do have, knowing that some plastics can often split, how would one go about repairing one of these hulls on the off chance it did get damaged?

One thing I did not like when looking at a few yesterday, was that the anchor well up front was full of water, no drain holes. Perhaps this can be fixed by drilling a few small holes so the water runs into the bilge.

one thing that i noticed when looking at new boats as i have bought 2 new one in the last 12mnths was the amount of second hand polys on the market. i was interested in them but the dealer had none in stock for six weeks so i got a stabi instead. the concept is a great one ! if you split here they would just plastic weld together with bit of a otto bin(wheely)not. go for a ride in 0ne to compare to traditional hulls
good luck in your search

dbl;D

FNQCairns
17-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Not a bad thing really but stickers don't stay stuck!

tunaticer
17-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Only thing that used to annoy me about them was the internal walls are not vertical so you cant lean against the gunnel comfortably. The new 4.8 brumby however has the vertical walls. Going to be my next boat I feel.

Jack.

Luke G
17-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I've got a 5.3 personaly,

I think they are a geat boat, the sides are straighter then the smaller older versions and they are tough as nails, I'd doubt you would split one. Also the the 5.3's have drain holes in the anchor well.

Cheers

Dan5
17-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah i went for a spin in a 6mtr job about a year ago it was fairly rough we could hear a noise from under the floor it sounded like the outer hull was flexing and hitting the inner hull with a bit of a dull thud noise.They are a good idea if you can't wash them down often say in a remote area.Doing a fitout in one would be a bit of a headache unless you were a plastic welder otherwise it's a screw and glue job i suppose.All in all there's nothing wrong with them i reckon and you would be going hard to split one i would say.Dan..........

Pirate_Pete_Tas
17-02-2008, 03:53 PM
I have a 5.3 Cuddy Cab & love it. Its a great big beamy boat. That I have fitted various items including a ski pole & its just a matter of drilling holes where you want things & using large self tappers to hold it in.

Here is a full report on mine. http://gonefishingtas.com/reviews.php

Go to http://www.polycraft.com.au/ & download the 2008 Catalogue & read the reports on what happened to 1 when it came off the trailer at 110Ks of the 1 that got squashed by a 38M super yacht.

Also try http://www.polyboatowners.com

Its all horses for courses but I love mine. :D :D :smitten: :smitten:

TheRealAndy
17-02-2008, 03:56 PM
So does the floataion of the polycraft hulls rely on the air between the inner and outer hull? IF it does, is it sperated into chambers so that if the outer hull is damaged it wont destroy all the flotation. Also thinking if you wanted to bold something to the hull I would not want to compromise the boyancy.

mat_anderson04
17-02-2008, 04:00 PM
they look like sh!t

going_phishin
17-02-2008, 04:24 PM
G'day mate,
I've got a 3 metre tuff tender and I think it is great! I have had no problems with the flotation of the boat by drilling holes in to it and I can't see any seperate chambers in it. I doubt that they would split as they are a tough boat and if it does happen to split just take it to a plastic welder and it will be fine. Any scratches that you get in the boat can be easily removed with a bit of wet and dry, after you have done that just heat it with a hot glue gun and it will make it look like the rest of the boat. Anything deep take it to a welder then just sand it up to make it look nice.

Cheers
Josh

ozscott
17-02-2008, 04:25 PM
can you use them in Queensland, or do they melt?

Pirate_Pete_Tas
17-02-2008, 04:36 PM
can you use them in Queensland, or do they melt?

They are made in Bundy

Pirate_Pete_Tas
17-02-2008, 04:37 PM
So does the floataion of the polycraft hulls rely on the air between the inner and outer hull? IF it does, is it sperated into chambers so that if the outer hull is damaged it wont destroy all the flotation. Also thinking if you wanted to bold something to the hull I would not want to compromise the boyancy.

They are foam filled to Aus Standards plus poly floats any way.

jimbo59
17-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Can you get them with a ashtray?

NAGG
17-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh .... How I've missed a good poly thread::) ;D ;D Its been too long!
Nagg

Oh Gee
17-02-2008, 06:11 PM
And your local Tupperware Lady should be able to supply any spare parts you require

ozscott
17-02-2008, 06:20 PM
just dont forget to keep you glasses off the dash

impulse492f
17-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Not a bad thing really but stickers don't stay stuck!

From the website

Question 10 - How do you stick rego numbers to the hull?
Answer - Heat the boat with a heat gun until it takes on a shiny appearance, then allow to cool and clean with citrus cleaner. Stickers can then be applied to the prepared surface

pursuit001
28-02-2008, 05:51 PM
hi mate just watch they dont melt in the sun ha ha na a mate of mine owned one it was a 4.55 cc and it was a great boat in the water for its size in my opinion .
cheers

Greg P
28-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Dont park them on the front lawn on rubbish day ;);D

Wahoo
28-02-2008, 08:05 PM
or on a quite day you can throw a skirt over the front , wack a few hooks on it, get towed by a tinny and use it as a rather large soft plastic;D

Spaniard_King
28-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Fitted afew of these out, IMO if you don't bolt things in your asking for problems, screws will pull out in time. Bolting is a problem as you have to add access hatches to put nuts on bolts etc. good ride.. very user freindly. costly to repair (especially when manufacturer ceases production ).unfortunately you wont find a 15 year old poly to check wear ability:P

boatboy50
28-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Guys,

On the serious side, I own a Polycraft 530 bowrider which I operate in a hire business. It gets treated like a rental by all it's users.

It is now approaching 500 well used hours, and 18 months old, and touch wood it's been a true and reliable boat for me.

The advantage for the Poly's is that they can be flogged, pulled up onto a ramp, run onto sandbars and they come through the other side.

It's easy to handle, easy to maintain, easy to repair, cheap to own and cheap to operate. It gives a great ride for it's size, and is a capable boat which I have confidence heading offshore in rough conditions.

I fitted it out myself, and didn't bolt any of the fittings, they are mostly self tappered. I havn't had one thing look like pulling out on me yet, even with the use it gets.

Have a look at some of the 20+ year old Poly houseboat tenders getting around. They are still watertight and going strong. Can't say the same for the tinnies and glass boats of that age that et that sort of treatment.

IMHO the only thing bad about owning a Poly is dealing with the jokes the guys who havn't experienced them produce. Eventually, when they've all tried them they will come around.

Regards

Darren

NAGG
28-02-2008, 08:31 PM
or on a quite day you can throw a skirt over the front , wack a few hooks on it, get towed by a tinny and use it as a rather large soft plastic;D

Is that why the chick is sitting on the front of a poly in their advertising;)

Nagg

ozscott
28-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Darren - we are all taking the piss in a good natured way mate...Im sure that they are a good bit of kit with pluses and minuses like GRP, Plate and tin. One big advantage on a serious note must be their bouyancy - that now famous add with a little 10 foot tender with 3 boofs on one side including one on the gunwale and still not sinking is great!

MattChew
28-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Dont park them on the front lawn on rubbish day ;);D

In the good old days we had Aluminum Trash Cans & now we have durable Polyethylene wheelie bins .... time to get with the times and immerse yourself in modern technology chaps ... that should get everyone up and attentive ... you never know Andy someone might even be able to answer your question if they find something bad about them ... the only thing I can think of is they are not Biodegradeable like an Aluminum Trash Can ;D

Ta
Matt

boatboy50
28-02-2008, 08:51 PM
They are also heavier than an alloy boat. Which is good or bad depending on your needs.

Regards

Darren

Giffo7
28-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I have owned a 4.55 centre console for 5 or 6 years and its great .I cross either Currumbin or Tallebudgerra bars and it handles them fine ! the ride is good and I cannot see them splitting.The dredge operators on the coast use them as they are indestructibe . where are you situated ? If on the Gold Coast I can take you out for a fish and you decide .I dare say that Mat-Andeson 04 fishes from the bank!!!!!!!!!!!
POLY ENVY !

Giffo

TheRealAndy
28-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys, off to buy a 4.55 centre console tommorrow (I hope) !

Boatboy, once you load up the alloy with all the fittings, floors etc the polycraft is about the same. I have compared the dry weight to some equivelant aluminiuim and there is stuff all difference.

squizzytaylor
29-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Thats correct Andy, This is about 8 months old but an eye opener. Some models are heavier by a bit though. It obviously doesnt include all models. The hardest thing is finding direct comparisons .

Geoff
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/squizzytaylor/BOATWEIGHTS.jpg

Noelm
29-02-2008, 10:04 AM
OK now we assertained they are OK, what Motor are you thinking of, etec or 4 stroke, Yamaha or Suzuki, that should take up another couple of pages!

Greg P
29-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Darren - you're starting to sound like another emotional kevlacat owner :-X;);D;D;D;D

Just a bit of fun. I wouldnt mind a little one from crabbing - the tiller steer ones have heaps of room.

lippa
29-02-2008, 06:09 PM
i had the same idea greg, good little units.
but with the amount of shit ive put on poly boats, i'll look a little hypocritcal!
heres a question for the die hards.
are they a horsepower hungry hull?
would a 20hp(for arguments sake) push a 4 mt?
this is a legitimate question, not trying to pull the piss.

cheers

lippa

nobody
29-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Re: Tell me the bad things about polycraft..

In answer to the original question,how many barrels of oil does it take to make one of these boats.Its a legitimate question?

tunaticer
29-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Be quite a few barrels of oil I would imagine....but then again how much does it take to produce a kilogram of marine grade aluminium or grp for that matter?

Being polyethelene it is fully recyclable and there is no paint on them so therefore less in the way of toxic chemicals used in corrosion protection.

Which ever way you look at the debate there will always be positives and negatives.

Personally as soon as i can afford to buy another boat it will be a poly for a much greater list of reasons than if i was to buy a ally or grp boat. Only thing that doesnt impress me atm is the gunnels are lots wider than the floor area.

Jack.

squizzytaylor
29-02-2008, 07:55 PM
are they a horsepower hungry hull?
would a 20hp(for arguments sake) push a 4 mt?

No a 20 hp would not push a 4.1m Poly, Some run 30's but a 40hp is an ideal match with some choosing to run 50's for that matter, mind you a kitted out explorer or Mako etc wouldnt run on a 30hp very well either. Are they HP hungry? no more than any other comparable boat be it in glass or alloy.

Geoff

NAGG
29-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Polyethylene prices are on the increase::)

Nagg

tunaticer
29-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah they are Nagg, I checked prices today on the 4.5 and 4.8 rear consoles. Motors add heavily to the prices these days as well. Still they are better value for money than plateys and have a lot longer lifespan with no electrolysis or corrosion problems.

Jack.

NAGG
29-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah they are Nagg, I checked prices today on the 4.5 and 4.8 rear consoles. Motors add heavily to the prices these days as well. Still they are better value for money than plateys and have a lot longer lifespan with no electrolysis or corrosion problems.

Jack.

Meaning polyethylene resin prices !
Dont start me on the virtues of polyethylene ::) ;) ...... I'm trying to be good these days;D

Nagg

TheRealAndy
01-03-2008, 11:09 PM
OK now we assertained they are OK, what Motor are you thinking of, etec or 4 stroke, Yamaha or Suzuki, that should take up another couple of pages!

I bought it second hand, came with a 50hp 4 stroke yamaha. I am intending to buy a 6metre boat toward the end of the year (the poly was an interim boat that i will probably keep :) ) and whilst the etec is currently my preferred option the yalta is my prefered boat, and the yalta dealer does yamaha. At the end of the day I cant be bothered buying a hull from one dealer and an engine from another.

tin can marlin
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Mate i think tese boats are great vaule for money and it is a credit to polycraft. Iwould think that anythink over 6m in plastic could have issues off shore. But as asmall boat they would have to be better then a quintrex. REGARDS MARK

disorderly
01-03-2008, 11:22 PM
the yalta is my prefered boat,

There is a nice looking Yalta in the for sale sectionhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif.

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Hi guys the yalta has got nothing on the polycraft stay awqay from it the polywaffle are great ask bruce cunningham he will telll you

TheRealAndy
02-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi guys the yalta has got nothing on the polycraft stay awqay from it the polywaffle are great ask bruce cunningham he will telll you

Well I would have to disagree with you there tin can marlin. However I intend to own both. Will give the poly a good test today though, 20knots predicted and going to take it for a run from shorncliffe up the brissie river. Will see how it goes out in the bay, even though not venturing far from the mainland;D;D;D.

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Andy make sure you take your life jackets because it might melt in the sun. You don't take your wheely bin to sea do you. Lol

NAGG
02-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Mate i think tese boats are great vaule for money and it is a credit to polycraft. Iwould think that anythink over 6m in plastic could have issues off shore. But as asmall boat they would have to be better then a quintrex. REGARDS MARK

Why would a polycraft be better than a Quintrex ( or any other boat).
Keeping the the build material ( polyethylene) out of it ...... :ears: I'm curious to know the answers!
I actually see design limitations due to the manufacturing process ( side angles) , lack of ability to modify (lift a floor) , reduced deck space ( side walls are thick) ..... & finish.

Nagg

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 11:25 AM
You make a good point nagg. To follow are some of the many reasons. 1.much better ride 2. lot less noise 2. basicly unsinkable 3.harder to damage 4. smaller company to deal with so more intrested in the boat than the corprate crap. And i could keep going. But i should have said on my post these reasons. Thanks for the chance to clear it up. Regards mark

NAGG
02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
You make a good point nagg. To follow are some of the many reasons. 1.much better ride 2. lot less noise 2. basicly unsinkable 3.harder to damage 4. smaller company to deal with so more intrested in the boat than the corprate crap. And i could keep going. But i should have said on my post these reasons. Thanks for the chance to clear it up. Regards mark

Mark
Most glass boats would have a quiet & soft ride too! ..... My Hornet has level floatation! (unsinkable) ..... A smaller organisation cannot afford the R & D costs of the big manufacturers ...... I cannot comment on too many manufacturers ( but the couple of Millennium hull Quinnies I've been in seem pretty good)
..... All boats are a compromise in one way or another ...... but to claim a Polycraft as the best :-/ .... yes there are some good features but there are some downsides too

Cheers

Nagg

rumy1
02-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I have to comment ... the Polyboat finish is less appealing off the showroom floor than glass or aluminium. FACT
There are no side pockets for storage ( they are extras )
You cop crap from heaps of people.

I bought a Haines Signature 5.42C and I have had lots of trouble with it and have thought alot wheather I should have bought a polyboat as I nearly did.
But I can tell you that every time I am approaching the concrete boat ramp I think how good it would be to own a poly boat right now !!!

You'll be very happy with your boat as my brother was with his 4.55m CC.

TheRealAndy
02-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Well all I can say is that in 25knots and 2metre chop these things are awesome. Definately a better ride than a tinny, and much to my surprise I think it handles just as well, if not better than glass. Moving around the boat makes them steer a little more than I would like, but other than that I cant fault it yet.

NAGG
02-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Well all I can say is that in 25knots and 2metre chop these things are awesome. Definately a better ride than a tinny, and much to my surprise I think it handles just as well, if not better than glass. Moving around the boat makes them steer a little more than I would like, but other than that I cant fault it yet.

Pretty impressive ...... those conditions would make most boating uncomfortable ..... specially in a 4.5M!

Nagg

themissus
03-03-2008, 01:14 PM
The only complaint I have, is it can be a pretty wet boat. I don't think i would go back to a tin boat. We are looking for a bass boat at the moment and I'm trying to con the boss into a tuff tender. Poly's are easy to look after, ok so they wont win a beauty contest but who cares it's a fishing boat!! We even had a fire on board and it didn't melt.::)
I love my tuppleware boat and wouldn't trade it for anything
Hope you are happy with yours.
Cheers Kim.:)

Greg P
03-03-2008, 01:48 PM

May even give Ian's Kevlacat a run by that wrap ;D;D;D;D

TheRealAndy
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
May even give Ian's Kevlacat a run by that wrap ;D;D;D;D

I am a bit of a nutter. I am used to chasing sailing boats around in 20knot winds and 3metre swells so it was a fairly tame test for me. In saying that, its still does not handle nearly as good as a southwind. In my opinion the long boats are by far the best boats I have driven. You can drive them almost flat out to windward in a big sea and they just take it on the nose without any complaints. The outboards might not like it as much, but the boats dont care at all!! Trim up and open the throttle and hang on, yeeeee haaaa.........