PDA

View Full Version : GPS repair........

4x4frog
16-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Just wondering who'd be the best option to try for repair to a VDO MS4200 in-car GPS unit.
VDO/Dayton have been of no help at all and I'd like to get the thing repaired hopefully ASAP.
The GPS is incorporated in a C/D Stereo and the cd player all still functions, even still operates the 6 stack changer but the display has carked it.:( The display is part of the removable face of the unit.
Anyone know of a decent technician I can take it to for a look-see?

Blackened
16-02-2008, 10:39 PM
G'day

Get back onto the manufacturer, hammer them a bit.

I had a broken part for my pioneer and they were brilliant.

Maybe chat to JBHIFI or car sound places as they may have an idea where to send it

Dave

4x4frog
17-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Tried JB in MacGregor and as it wasn't a current model they didn't want to know anything about it.
VDO just said it's out of warranty, buy a new one. AT that time they were only available in the UK still and were close to $2000:o
This is along shot but I am willing to give it ago, for my better half

tunaticer
17-02-2008, 08:21 AM
There used to be a guy (could still be) down at wynnum near Wynnum Marine I took my old Lowrance handheld to for repair. Had no dramas at all with him and reasonably priced. I think he called himself Qld Marine Electronics or something.
Was probably 10 yrs ago tho, still worth finding out if he still exists.

Jack.

Blackened
17-02-2008, 08:28 AM
G'day

Pack of mongrels allright.

Only thing I could suggest is give trymax marine at capalaba a call. They repair marine electronics but i'm sure what you have is similar

Dave

joeT
17-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Northfield in Macgregor used to have a service department that fixed units (in car stereos and the like). But its been quite a while since I've been there.

SatNav
17-02-2008, 04:47 PM
1. With old models, superseded models, models which might have not been imported/sold in a country then the repair bill (and expecially the spare parts) can exceed the cost of a current new technology model

4x4frog
18-02-2008, 10:58 AM
1. With old models, superseded models, models which might have not been imported/sold in a country then the repair bill (and expecially the spare parts) can exceed the cost of a current new technology model
That's a good point Satnav.
The problem I have with these losers and their reluctance to help is that I don't believe the problem to be all that complex or indeed expensive. The only thing wrong with the unit is the display won't display anything, it's just a lovely shade of blue. (BSOD if you would) The screen is housed in the removable face of the unit, just like any normal Cd/stereo. I'd be almost 100% positive the brains of the unit are OK and housed in the body of the thing....Why the hell can't they just replce the front section>:( ::)