PDA

View Full Version : northbank fibergalss water test and pics!!

pursuit001
16-02-2008, 01:20 PM
hi all just thought id throw up a post i water tested a northbank fiberglass 5.4 cuddy today and thought id throw the results up along with some photos i got 75klm and hour out of it running at 5500rpm at full trim in 20knot winds and handled it great also im looking at buying this boat again as you would see i had a previous post up on this boat looking for info though the sale fell through due to lack of funds since water testing im goin to trade my new boat in and get this it is pushed along by a 06 130hp honda i was also very suprised on how quick and punchy the honda was off the mark looking for your thoughts also on what yous think it looks like and what dollars yous think its worth .
cheers shane ;D

Chimo
16-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey Shane

Looks nice.

Must be very light and trim sensitive judging by the photos in the water with one person only it certainly leans / is affected by the weight.

When he was near the pontoon I thought it was wind but with the rear shot the stbd side is way down compared to the portside.

I reckon this rig would benefit from a set of Lencos (or similar) trim tabs to reduce the issue that this will be running in chop or worse with any weight inbalance or side wind. The waves will hit the shoulder rather than the Vee and the ride will likely be affected.

Cheers
Chimo

pursuit001
16-02-2008, 01:46 PM
yeah mate probarly wouldn be a bad idea chimo although at rest with 2 on one side its fairly stable what do you think its worth chimo any opinions .

tin can marlin
16-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi mate looks great and it looks like it has got all the gear. Tadam trailer gps sounder 4 stroke clears etc i think that it would have to be worth mid to late 40's that is if it is in great nick. I would not pay over 50 for it but each to there own. I know a bloke that just got one for 40 but it had a 90 2 stroke merc no clears or gps and was on a single axle it was also a 03 model. He loves his and i'am sure you will get many years of boating fun out of this boat. Good luck. Regards mark

FNQCairns
16-02-2008, 03:04 PM
A bloke named cooky here had/has one, search back in the boating section up to 4 years even , his was 2st 115 and in good nic (at the time), think he bought for 27k something, forget now, they do not seen to have the same resale up here as they do at near the end of the earth where they are better known, think they must get here mainly because of southerners moving. Keep in mind they are largely unknown so can be priced to suit to get it sold.

cheers fnq

pursuit001
16-02-2008, 04:17 PM
yeah i think im happy price is $37 k its got the works and myself ive owned a haines 6m and i can say its up there rides as good as my old 6m haines i had and just ploughs through the chop the way i look at it its got all the extras such as tandem trailer theres a couple of k alone colour cd player sounder plus garmin gps clears and full storm cover rear bording ladder and of cousre the honda 4 banger alone theres another 5k for the four stroke i think thats fair money for a boat with the extras this has dont you?
cheers shane

FNQCairns
16-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah $37 sounds Ok considering how they ride and the amount of glass rumoured to be in them, lots of boats have increased like 25% this last 5 years, wish it was me buying the old girl, good luck.

cheers fnq

fishing111
17-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda Dude (http://www.thehulltruth.com/view-profile.asp?action=view&uid=24201)
http://www.thehulltruth.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.thehulltruth.com/templates/original/images/common/nav-messages.gif Posted 2/15/2008 8:37 PM (#1967290 - in reply to #1960044)
Subject: Re: 115 Yamaha vs. 130 Honda

http://www.thehulltruth.com/images/forums/x3.gif

Location: Oxnard, CAThe Honda is definitely heavier and that should certainly be a consideration. Seatrialing, or even just seeing how the boat sits in the water at the dock will tell you if it's an issue. The motor itslef has rpoven to be a workhorse. It's arguably the smoothest running engine Honda has made. Nearly bulletproof, however, there have been some cases where blocks have cracked inside the exhaust passage (I've never personally seen one), but because of this, Honda has extended the warranty on the block of all 130's for 10 years from the date of the original purchase. That should offer some peace of mind.http://www.thehulltruth.com/templates/original/images/common/localized/message-top.gif (http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=187172&posts=5#top) http://www.thehulltruth.com/templates/original/images/common/localized/message-bottom.gif (http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=187172&posts=5#bottom)

Pusuit, found this on another forum, just wondering if your potential motor is covered by a similar warranty here in Aus?

pursuit001
17-02-2008, 12:42 PM
hi paul251 never heard of a 10 year warranty it has the 5 year warranty with 3 years remaining

Coontakinta
18-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Shane have said it before, I dont think you'll be disappointed. Interesting how it leans with just your weight in it though not sure my m8's is anything like that and the oldmans 490 defineatly doesnt! U dont say how old it is.....or did I miss that part. My m8's 540 is a 2004 build and with s/s rocket launcher and bow rails, bimini and clears, NAVMAN 4350 colour sounder, GME 27mhz radio, the Honda 130 and tandem Dunbier trailer cost him in the mid 40's. He didnt get a GPS or any plumbing for live bait tanks. So I guess $37K is a resonable price. I have seen the same hulls here in SA with 115 2 strokes fetch as little as $28K but these are generally the very early ones and are pretty spartan in regard to options.

Shane, if price is really of concern to you, get in contact with Christies Beach Marine here in Adelaide, they are the builders, and price one up new with the options on this one. Would have to be getting around the $50K mark now. However, after saying this and the fact that we just had a boat show here, there may be a few deals going around on them. So may not be a true indication of the value in the one your looking at. Anyway worth a shot.

The speed you recorded sounds around the mark as that my m8 gets from his. Although, I think I did mention he complained about hole shot from his. What size blade is on this boat Shane? As I've wondered if this was his problem. He also complained of not having much responce from the trim. This was alleviated by placing a wedge between the hull and the outboard. Not sure why or how this works, but apparently it did.

FNQCairns, rest assured M8 it 8nt no rumour. There is plenty of glass in these boats and they are no light weight.

Anyway, best of luck with it

Spaniard_King
18-02-2008, 02:03 PM
hi paul251 never heard of a 10 year warranty it has the 5 year warranty with 3 years remaining

The 130 had a major overhaul in 2002-3 ie new cyl head and block. this fixed all the related engine problems. It has proven to be a solid performer since the update with no related failures since. All previous models upon failure qualify for this engine update;)

Pursuit001 I had a 580 haines with a 130 honda for 4 1/2 years.. great boat.. That rig looks a good buy.

This was my old boat;D

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=108918&highlight=breeze

pursuit001
18-02-2008, 04:19 PM
hi coontakinta yeah mate looking at getting her again id say your mates is proped wrong this thing straight up and on the plane the orginal owner payed just under $50000 k the boat is 05 and motor 06 with 5 hours on the clock it was a elderly guy who owned it and couldn use it any more so it sat for a year or more i think its well priced to be honest compared to some of the shit heaps ive see in the last few weeks mate ill take a look at the pitch tommorw and inform you on what it is .
cheers

spainard king
mate that looked a very nice and well maintainted rig myself i think you let it go at a pinch to less i could see 45k in that boat easy appeared to have all the goodies in her im curious to know around what fuel were you using per hour .
cheers shane

Spaniard_King
18-02-2008, 05:08 PM
spainard king
mate that looked a very nice and well maintainted rig myself i think you let it go at a pinch to less i could see 45k in that boat easy appeared to have all the goodies in her im curious to know around what fuel were you using per hour .
cheers shane

Shane,

was getting around 21-23l/hr at 21 knots depending on conditions and around 27-29l/hr at 25 knots with a 17 " prop

cooky
19-02-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm still alive and still have the Northbank. Happy to answer any questions. Although it's been about 8 months since I've put it in the water. Might have forgotten what it looks like.

cooky
19-02-2008, 09:37 AM
http://lh5.google.co.uk/ClaytonGCook/R7oT2aoB4kI/AAAAAAAABD4/UC74XjBUFtQ/06-05-07_1148.jpg&imgmax=640
I put an image library together this morning. Random boat photos (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ClaytonGCook/Boating). http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ClaytonGCook/Boating

Has been a very good boat. VERY stable at rest. Three blokes easy for fishing. Have travelled with 7 or so in boat in Airlie Beach and it performed very well.

Heavy boat for size, but in water this gives a better ride.

Mine is a 2001 model with a 2001 Merc 115hp. Would be interested to know what you think it's worth, because I'm goin through divorce at present and may have to sell VERY soon.

From memory it has done around 300hrs.

Coontakinta
19-02-2008, 12:27 PM
hi coontakinta yeah mate looking at getting her again id say your mates is proped wrong this thing straight up and on the plane the orginal owner payed just under $50000 k the boat is 05 and motor 06 with 5 hours on the clock it was a elderly guy who owned it and couldn use it any more so it sat for a year or more i think its well priced to be honest compared to some of the shit heaps ive see in the last few weeks mate ill take a look at the pitch tommorw and inform you on what it is .

Thanks shane, that would appriciated. What goodies is the boat loaded up with?

@cooky, hard to tell for sure mate, prices seem to be a lot different for you banana benders than for us crow eaters, but similar rig here would probably be in the high 20's - low 30's. Guess it depends on how good a rep the hulls have in your neck of the woods. The rep here is excellent but some are put off by the lack of cockpit space perhaps. It is a cuddy after all and the position of the helm probably helps with its ride. Also the fact that there doesnt seem to be much in the way of goodies would have an effect also. Mate in my club has exact set up as you, no s/s, 115 2 stroke merc. Picked his up at a divorcee sale for $27K two years ago.

cooky
19-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Hmmm - not bad. Yeh not many extras on mine. Just have the usual - GPS, Sounder, safety, bait board, new hubs / brakes / springs. does have s/s prop though. I wouldn't mind getting $25,000 to $27,000 for it.

Lucky - I almost sold it for $18,000 on this site a few years ago when business was in trouble. :'(

Coontakinta
19-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I almost sold it for $18,000 on this site a few years ago when business was in trouble. :'(

Wanna sell it for that now?

Had a quick look over a couple of sites that I thought might have one for sale just to use as a guide for you. Couldnt find one!

pursuit001
19-02-2008, 05:29 PM
hi cooktakinta mate boat is 5.4 boats is 05 model trailer 05 model motor 06 with 5 hrs on the clock tandem trailer ss bow rails rear boaring ladder full clears storm covers colour sounder garmin gps delux bait board all gauages for honda water pressure etc electric winch marine cd player vhf radio full double bed full saftey gear and proarly more but cant rember lol

still yet to get you that prop pitch mate will keep you informed
cheers shane

cooky
19-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Coontinki - $18,000?? um no. :)

Coontakinta
20-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Coontinki - $18,000?? um no. :)

:'( :'( :'(

Thanks Shane look forward to the details;)