PDA

View Full Version : Southwind Boats

Hamish73
15-02-2008, 08:28 PM
We are in the market for a 5.5-6 m glass cuddy and have seen a few Southwind boats that seem to be priced quite well compared to the equivilant Cruise Craft/ Haines/ Seafarer etc etc
Is it just the lack of a 'bling' brand name or am I missing something???

thanks

Blackened
15-02-2008, 09:01 PM
G'day

Southwind-Yamaha

Just finished Detailing a UB570 today, I realize not a cuddy but still a southwind and overall the build quality was very good. Definately up there with the cruise craft/haines/seafarers.

Dave

uripper
16-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey Dave
Its a UB580 not 570 & you did a great job - thanks.
She will be on the market next fews days.
MalM

PWCDad
16-02-2008, 05:57 AM
I had a Southwind SR hull (half cab) back in the early 90s. Great hull all round and ahead of its time. The shape looks ok today ..not bad for 16 yrs ago.

The boats were completely turnkey from Yamaha and were made at Ourimbah, NSW.

I had it for 5 yrs and just over 250 motor hrs. Very fuel efficient hull ..I used around 16 lts hr with a 115 2 stroke.

Spent many a weekend at Mud ... crabbing and fishing ... ah memories.

I believe someone has the molds from Ourimbah after they stopped production and is producing the hull shape again.

Regards
PWCDad

boatboy50
16-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Hey Hamish,

I've owned over ten boats under 28 feet, and can definately say the SF20 was the second best handling hull i've ever driven, only behind a cat.

The ride on the SF/SR20 hulls is awesome. Soft riding, dry, smooth. It's like a sportscar feel, you just want to keep on driving.

Leezor (Lee) on this site owns my old boat and currently has it for sale in the classifieds section of this site. Very good value for money.

Honestly, i've owned some Haines Sig/Hunters and can say from experience the SF20 is better handling than most of them.

Regards

Darren

leezor
16-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Mate, I currently have a 1996 Southwind SF20 which I use to fish the reefs up to 50 miles off Townsville. It's a great boat for it's size and have had no problems with it and have never felt unsafe while fishing offshore.
Size wise It's a good compromise as they come in at under 2000kgs so towing them around isn't a drama.
Mine will be up for sale on a couple of months as I have just upgraded, but You should be able to pick a good one for mid 20's with a 175 or 200hp 2 banger.

Mate, you could do a lot worse than an SF20, all in all a pretty good boat for the money.

Lee

Blackened
16-02-2008, 08:39 AM
G'day

Thanks mal, I was pretty close!! Good luck with the sale

Dave

Hamish73
16-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys. I have a look at a SF550 walkaround today. looks almost perfect apart from the low sides! Anyone had one of these offshore? Pretty shallow V too :-/

We did see a bayliner Trophy that I liked. Was a bit consfused on the deck draining pluming... can anyone thats owned one enlightern me what the go is here?

Hamish

I have a SF565 and it is a great little boat. 115 2stroke Yammy and it gets up out of the hole a treat. Good offshore hull and performs great if you trim it well. Dips its nose a bit when head on to swell when backing off the gas and is a little weight placement sensitive. Light boat on the trailer for its size so makes towing pleasant (especially up to Fraser etc). My annoyances - kill tank lid hits the seats and wont stay open on its own - this tank is also plumbed into the bilge so can make a mess (cannot get to fittings easily to modify). Hard boat to get into without ladder (we drive on/off mostly so not an issue). Battery tray poorly placed and makes battery hard to service.

Apart from that very happy

Cheers

A