PDA

View Full Version : Matrix 17 sounder - stuffed display

Relaxed
15-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi all,

Just back from a fish, my Matrix 17 sounder has decided to play up :'( . The display won't work, it has the back light still opperational and it beeps but no display.

Has anyone had any similar problems with Matrix displays? If so what was the cause?

Cheers Andy

PS: out of warranty!

LINZ_74
15-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey Andy, i have a magellan explorist handheld which did the same thing the backlight would come up but no display. When i got onto Magellan they said that it would cost to fix what i paid for the unit which was around the $300 mark.
I don't know what happened to the thing it never got wet or dropped it just stopped working on the screen. But then for some reason it started working again but there are lines through the screen and isn't what it should be.

Hope you get it sorted.

Lindsay

artesian
16-02-2008, 12:22 AM
well.
every manufacturer makes a dud unit now and again, but I have to say I am interested to read this, as I was looking pretty hard at a matrix 17 at the late and lamented Sundown last year, and have bit of a thing for the Magellan Cross Over... really happy that a mate gave me one of his older sounders (newer than mine) and my old MLR GPS is still working (but I lust after mapping:-) )

Will leave solutions for your units for the techos - but hope it gets sorted for you both

chris_lure_man
16-02-2008, 10:21 AM
hey mate
the exact same thing happend to me thismorning on my huminbird pirahnah max 215 im not happy only used it about 4 times.
cheers chris

Relaxed
28-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Update.

I sent Humminbird Aust an EMail a few weeks ago regarding my problem, I told them the unit was out of warranty (by about a year) but only had minimal use.

I received a reply to send it to BLA for a free quote for repair. I sent the unit off about a fortnight ago and was starting to get a bit worried as I had heard nothing about if it had been received or how much to fix it :-/ .

This morning a courier dropped of my Matrix 17, repaired with new head internals. The bonus is NO CHARGE ;D , the part was described as being faulty and it was fixed for free!

I am impressed with their service, the unit was purchased from the USA and I didn't supplty a receipt when I sent it away. I have always looked after it and kept it in good condition, they must have realised it hadn't had much use and was not a user problem.

Thanks BLA and Humminbird, restores my faith in at least one manufacturer.

Cheers Andy :D

marty_z
03-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I have had a Matrix unit and Minn Kota both repaired through BLA and found their service exceptional.

One thing you may not be aware of is any Humminbird units sold through a dealer in Australia get an extended two year warranty through BLA.

Marty

the gecko
04-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Wow, a USA unit repaired here, your lucky they didnt spot that one......theyre not supposed to work on imports. Mine is an import, no probs with my Matrix 27 so far....

ANdrew