PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Motor covers

dnej
15-02-2008, 01:06 PM
So who makes the best outboard motor cover,for Yamaha motors.Brisbane area preferably.
David

Noelm
15-02-2008, 02:34 PM
not too sure what sort of cover you want, but most marine shops will have 'off the shelf" covers, or a guy who does canopies and stuff can make you a good one that you can leave on when in use if you like, I had a couple made for my old Evinrudes.

Dirtysanchez
15-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I've always been told that these covers create heat problems in that they insulate and keep the heat in around the engine area, is that true?

Chimo
15-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Ive got two, one on each of the 115s and the one side of one motor that was heating up at 4500rpm was nothing to do with the motor covers.

If the watercooling is working I dont think they are an issue.

Cheers
Chimo

steve99
15-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey Guys,

A mate of mine had a cover made for his 175 yamaha to protect it from the sun.

He never used the motor with cover on, but for some reason the paint on the top of the cowel bubbled. He reckons the hundreds of tiny bubbles were caused by sweating under the cover during hot weather.

Cheers Steve99

Argle
15-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Outboard Covers Australia make covers for any outboard. Just tell them the make and model and they will make one to suit. I have one for the cowl on mine which stays on while the motor is running - no overheating problems at all, cowl looks like new and outboard is 8 years old. They also made me a full cover for the whole motor which goes on when the boat is stored in the boatport and can also be left on while trailering on longer trips to protect from stone chips. You can see the cover in the pic below - i recommend these covers to anyone.

Cheers and beers
Scott

Finnatical
15-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I agree with Argle, I have now had 4 of them and they fit really well, protect the cowel and look good too. I have not had any issues with overheating nor have any of my mates with them.

Regards,

Dan5
15-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah i had a full outboard cover made with an insulated cowling section,even though the guy did a great job in making it it still sweated under the cover causing the sticker's and paint to bubble.The OCA one's are made from a breathable material and are fine,we had them on some engines for over 3 years that never came off and left no damage whatsoever.Dan..............

dnej
15-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Scott,
How easy are they to get on and off
David

Argle
16-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi David, no problems at all, the elastic garter around the bottom of the cover is pretty tight but it is easy to work it over the cowling and into place. I take mine off after each outing and give it a hose off to get rid of any salt spray and hang it up to dry while I wash the boat and spray the engine with the usual inox/lanotec and then slip the cowl and cover back on and into the boatport.

Cheers and beers
Scott

pursuit001
04-03-2008, 08:17 PM
hi mate im pretty sure mobile boat canopys do a motor cowl also may be worth giving them a call .there at narangba
thanks shane

black runner
04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
According to their website OCA are soon to supply Yamaha dealers with Yamaha branded covers. This is must be a good endorsement of their product.

dnej
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
All done.Looks great.Great service as well
David

Argle
05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Looks great David, glad to see the service is still good too!

Cheers and Beers
Scott

bigtez
05-03-2008, 01:48 PM
hi mate im pretty sure mobile boat canopys do a motor cowl also may be worth giving them a call .there at narangba
thanks shane

We are an agent for OCA. They make a good cover and it is not worth us competing with the price they offer them at.
One thing to watch out for is the mesh over the air intake. A rinse occasionally will ensure they don't get blocked up with salt and other muck.

Terry