PDA

View Full Version : placement of bilge pump?

fender22
15-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Just installing a bilge pump and decided the best place for it is at the back of the underfloor fuel tank well as this is the lowest point top side but just wodering if it is safe? The connections are well out of the well and the unit is pretty much self contained I suppose but just wondering if it may be a safety risk if the thing jammed and burnt out? My tank is SS and there are no fuel leaks in the well, not to say there wont be in the future.

Also I was going to run the outlet pipe into the well just infront of the transom as this area self drains. Is that ok or should I just run it over the back of the boat and straight into the sea?

backlash08
15-02-2008, 02:15 PM
suggest keep any form of ignition source away from the fuel tank and as far away from any area where the fuel could leak to in the event of a tank leak - would also run the bilge outlet out of the boat as opposed to self draining area,
cheers
Craig

Chimo
15-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Probably good to avoid fuel storage

Re the bilge outlet pipe; suggest you end it up high so there is no chance that it can get a shot of water and syphon water back into the boat. Amazing how quick the water comes in!

Cheers
Chimo