PDA

View Full Version : getting boat on plane

ovakil
14-02-2008, 05:18 PM
What is best position of motor while taking off to get on plane.As I've been trimming motor right down,when I have people sitting on back seats,looks like the boat is wheelstanding,until gets on plane..
Any advice welcome.

Blackened
14-02-2008, 05:21 PM
G'day

With Ptt, adjust engine in fully (down) until you';re on the plane, then trim out to find the sweet spot.

With an engine with fixed trim (tinny), use people and gear to your advantage to have a happy medium until its on the plane.

What boat and power are you running? Are you borderline underpowered? Can you put people up the bow for a short time until you get on the plane?

Dave

Mac_Attack
14-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey Ovakil
My boat use to do the same thing but i put a cavitation plate on her and never had her popping wheelys again!
Cheers Nick 8-)

ovakil
14-02-2008, 05:29 PM
22ft coxcraft,175 mariner.I think is borderline H/P.Boat is reccomended 175-225.
I have 17 pitch 4 blade prop.I had a 19 pitch 3 blade which stuffed my motor.

Smithy
14-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey Ovakil
My boat use to do the same thing but i put a cavitation plate on her and never had her popping wheelys again!
Cheers Nick

I think you meant to say you put a foil on your cavitation plate. All boats come with a cav plate for free!

lummo
14-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Howdy Ovakil,

Like Mac_Attack suggests a hydrafoil is a pretty cheap option.

Check out this one as an example.
http://www.solas.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=78.

Blackened
14-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I think you meant to say you put a foil on your cavitation plate. All boats come with a cav plate for free!

Ditto Smithy

Ovakil, I still think there should be enough HP there....... what do you mean a 3 blade prop stuffed your engine?

Maybe wait for the likes of FNQ with regards to his opinion on your prop

Dave

seatime
14-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Sounds like too much weight down the back if you're wheelstanding with the motor trimmed right in?

ovakil
14-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Ditto Smithy

Ovakil, I still think there should be enough HP there....... what do you mean a 3 blade prop stuffed your engine?

Dave

The prop was too big for motor,it put to much strain on it.Mechanics words were like driving up a hill in 4th gear when you should be in 3rd.I had powerhead rebuilt on it & put smaller pitch prop on after talking to Solas.
With hydrfoils I have read a few posts not liking them :-/ especially when turning.

ovakil
14-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Ditto Smithy

Dave

The prop was too big for motor,it put to much strain on it.Mechanics words were like driving up a hill in 4th gear when you should be in 3rd.I had powerhead rebuilt on it & put smaller pitch prop on after talking to Solas.
With hydrfoils I have read a few posts not liking them :-/ especially when turning.

Broomey
14-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Ovakil, seems to me that you've got a weight problem not a power problem, would have thought that a 175HP should pop you out the hole with out too much problem, might be cheaper and easier to get your mates to come up the front with you untill you get it on the plane, what speed and revs you doing when you do eventually get her up???:huh2:

Broomey

Broomey
14-02-2008, 10:16 PM
ooops , like Blackeneed said, tuck motor trim right in, powewr up and once you feel it trying to plane adjust your trim till you feel its just right, but get your mates to move!!!!

Broomey

Kleyny
15-02-2008, 04:31 AM
whats it do when you go buy yourself?

neil

FNQCairns
15-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Just a guess but it sounds as if you still have a bit too much diameter in that prop and the engine is struggling spin it up to get over the hump onto the plane where the hull will lift and the engine does it easier, how long is this bow up condition? It's not abnormal, as mentioned above what happens without the extra people.

Without reliable numbers from testing it's all just guess what is going on but a foil will bandaid a the problem and make it plane faster undoubtedly but usually it is at the expense of efficiency elsewhere.

If you do go the fast way instead of the time it takes to gather data then consider the permatrim as the pick of the bunch.

cheers fnq

ovakil
16-02-2008, 10:17 AM
May have found a bit of the problem,when I came back that day I had about 20 litres of water in the pod.I have had this a few times.I have since resealed again & I've put in an old pump so next time I go out if water is in pod I will pump out then jump in with mask & look for leak.
I have had jump onto plane quicker with less people,I just thought I was doing something wrong.
Water in pod won't help :( Which pi**es me off completely.

Deepdiver
16-02-2008, 11:05 AM
As Broomey said a 175 with the right prop should pop that boat on the plane allright.Ovakill i hope im wrong but have you checked for timber rot in the transom.Wet timber can weigh a lot.Cheers Paul

ovakil
16-02-2008, 06:59 PM
As Broomey said a 175 with the right prop should pop that boat on the plane allright.Ovakill i hope im wrong but have you checked for timber rot in the transom.Wet timber can weigh a lot.Cheers Paul

I had hull checked out before I bought it.
How do you check?

Mac_Attack
16-02-2008, 08:28 PM

Oops My bad :-[

uripper
16-02-2008, 08:56 PM
POD ???? aaahhhh......
Fantastic when they work, dogs whern they dont.
Ovakil have just spent the last month working out a Haines560 with Yam130HP hanging off a pod with similar bum heavy problems.
Found the answers 2days ago - she's a completly different rig now - sweet as.
Happy to pass on what Ive learned if you wish to PM me with your contact details.
Cheers, MalM

1975fflh
16-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I have an old coxcraft rumrunner 1989 and when trimming for wot I have found about second nothch from the bottom of the gfuage is good and I can still steer both ways. I trim until I can steer both left and right without too much effert, only have cable steer on the old girl and a 90hp johno and she will pull 60kl/hr with 2 adult and 100litres of fuel with the fishing gear.