PDA

View Full Version : Performance Figures 5.2 Kevlacat

boatboy50
12-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Guys,

I've just bought a 5.2 Kevlacat which is a tad underpowered. I will look at repowering eventually, so just wanted to get a compilation of performance figures for other set ups. I know there is all kinds of engine set ups here on 5.2KC's.

My train of thought is for a set of 60hp High Thrust Yammie 4 strokes, but the boat is heavier than standard as it was built to survey, so may even struggle with that.

I was also considering a set of Suzuki 70 Four Strokes, but am unsure whether it will handle the extra weight?

I currently have Honda 50's on board, and am about to reprop to try for a high 20's top end speed. It currently only gets mid 20's but revs to 6500rpm.

Has anyone actually tried 4 blade props on a 5.2KC?

Can any owners please post their cruise speed and revs, and flat out speed and revs, and what engine combo they are using?

Prop sizes may help as well if you know that.

Thank guys, always a helpful bunch.

Regards

Darren

Noelm
13-02-2008, 08:19 AM
50HP a side is about the minimum you would ever use (I guess you have "hinchies" Boat?) most I have been in with 70's is probably getting towards the minimum for reasonable performance and one of the best was a pair of 90HP Yamaha 2 strokes, light as buggery and good power, I guess the weight is the first thing to take into account, search around for the lightest 4 strokes that will fit the HP range and see where you go from there, if it revs to 6500 you may be able to get a slightly bigger prop and increase your top end a tad, but it will be at the expense of "hole shot" and planing ease and cruise efficiency, remember you have pretty small motors there.

freddofrog
13-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the world of the privileged – those that own cats and those that wish they did…yeah lets start a mono vs cat argument haha :evil:

My baby is a 1994 5.2m KC (Pro Sport), 2005 90hp 2st yammies with 15” 3 blade ally props, cruise 23kn @ 3400, WOT 34kn @5500

I don’t really get any better performance with the 90s (came with the boat), just costs more fuel (0.7L/km combined). You’ll find most put the 60hp high thrust yammies on when they repower due to better power to weight. And weight is your biggest enemy, the newer 5.2s (2100 series) are built to take the additional weight of 4 strokes, the olders are not. If you do a search there are quite a few posts on repowering 5.2 KC so there’s no shortage of info already out there.

As another alternative, have you looked at throwing some etecs on, I wonder how they would go??? (lets also start a etec debate while we're at it ;) )

cya
ff

Chimo
13-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Ya BB50

Well how about that;

The idea from the other day about the 90 Etecs may not be so far fetched as they weigh the same as 75 HPs ie 145 or 148 Kgs with a 2.0 : 1 or a 2.25 : 1 gearbox and give 90HP at 5000rpm

The 75HP only come with the 2.0 : 1 gearbox

What do the Yam 60 hp high thrusts weigh?

Should be an interesting journey!

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
13-02-2008, 10:14 AM
been in a few Boats with the "high thrusts" and although they are a very good Motor, I don't think you will get the best out of your Cat with them, even though they may be OK, you are only increasing your HP by 10HP a side, even though that equates to 20%

Smithy
13-02-2008, 11:27 AM
High 20s is all you are going to get with 60s or 70s. You are never going to achieve that with 50s. They are a high windage boat. You sure notice that towing them on the highway, even with a turbo diesel 100 series.

Plenty of info allready on here by searching.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=118075&highlight=high+thrust

With 2 stroke 60-70s you should get 1.0 Nm per litre per side. 4 strokers or DFI motors are obviously going to be 1/3 or 1.5 times better than that.

By all accounts keep the weight out of the arse of these boats. That elimintes the Suzuki 70s. Your big choice will be between the 60 4 strokes (Merc or Yammie) or a 75/90 Etec. Flip a coin on that one depending if you are a 4 stoke man or 2 stroke man.

The 50s on a 5.2KC are pretty hopeless. I had a mate with one, Sealord down Tweed way. He had the Merc 50 4 strokes but he eventually repowered with 90 2 stroke Yamahas. That would be the era of your boat as there was no re-power option for 4 stroke 60s and the Fichts etc. in 90s were still the heavy V4 back then.

kitty_cat
13-02-2008, 11:57 AM
just a bit off inside info keep a eye on the miami boat show this weekend there maybe a new 90hp suzuki being release at the right weight iam waiting myself for the info and will be changing my carby 2000 model 75 hp hondas(1ltr to the klm due to carby model i think and will do 28-29 knts) to new suzis if the weight is right aparently being shown at the show this weekend

i also have the new larger pods on the back of my 5.2 kevlacat as well factory change over to handle th 4 strokes
wayne

Noelm
13-02-2008, 12:04 PM
kind of reckon that the 90 etec will be a good option (depending on weight of course) 90HP seems to be the good power for those Boats, Smithy is pretty well spot on with his figures, Kitty ,there must have been a big difference in the newer pods to allow for much heavier Motors, how did they acheive that??

Smithy
13-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Gee Wayne that isn't real good for Hondas or was that the combined figures? My mates push this 5.990 Ambition Cat (sold as a Commander Cat now) with 75 Hondas and get their 1.0 litre per Nm per side with Bassy's feet on the throttles sitting back in his chair going full noise everywhere. If he would throttle back they would get better and it is a much bigger boat.

finding_time
13-02-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty much getting 1l to the NM at 24 knots, i to will be looking at the 90 suki's but first i'll put a few 1000 hrs on the yami's, to me the boat get along fine but dropping the RPM down would be good. I've chatted to several blokes with the 90's and there wot is about 36knots ( mines 29) but even at the lower revs there fuel consumption is about 1l to 1.2 km's so for me to change over i would get the larger pods, remove the 110l fuel tanks and install the 200l tanks on each side ( yes i can be done but not cheap) then get the 90's. All in all a very expensive exersize but i'll have a look again a few years!

Ian

Beside i can scare the pants of people with the 60's on , what could i do with the 90's;D . Check your pm's Darren! You can come for a spin in mine with the 60's if you like !

Smithy

Wayne's boat does sit down more in the arse than mine and i suspect that is one of the reasons his motors are thirsty, and if Morgy thinks i drive my KC fast you should see wayne drive his!;) this would be the other reason he uses more fuel! But you do have to get them up and moving!

GBC
13-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Good luck with re-propping the hondas.

I tried this on the same motor (monohull) - after four different props inc four bladers, the factory supplied aluminium prop came up trumps and I didn't have to buy a ss prop. Perhaps it'll be different on your boat?

boatboy50
13-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I've checked all the weights, and the Hondas are very light engines. The Yammie 60 is next, and the ETECS are the next heaviest.

Freddo, Thanks for the figures, they will help me a lot. As the top speed is not what i'm trying to achieve the most, the 90's will just chew too much fuel for my needs. I'd love the power, but not the weight or fuel use.

Kitty Cat, Thanks for the figures. Never seen one with 75 Hondas, how does it float them? I'd love to see some pics to get an idea and of the pod set up.

Chimo, I know your pushing the ETEC brigade, but their a distant third choice at this time. There is a 5.2 on the Coast with twin 75 ETECS. I will try to get a run in it. It may change my mind.

Smithy, I've spoken to the SOLAS boys and they are confident I will get high twenties out of it. I'd probably be happy with 27/28 knots. Will keep you all posted.

FT, where are you located? I'd love a run to see how they go if your even close to me. Do you have the 25" and high thrust engines, or the 20" normal engines?

Guys, i'd love to see some pics of your boats, especially the pod set ups and anything else really! Maybe we can turn this into a 5.2 pics thread also?

I've got all the weights at work, and will post them when I get the time.

Regards

Darren

Dean1
13-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi guys, im getting roughly 1klm per litre or a touch better with twin 70hp yamaha 2 strokes. All 97 model. At say 25 kts im doing about 4800, 28kts 5300 and 31kts flat out at about 5600 roughly. I wouldnt want anything smaller than these 70's as they are just right i think or a bit more grunt wouldnt go astray. These boats seem to like sitting on around 25kts minumum to get the tunnel working properly. They definatly like to be driven fast, especially in a following sea anything under 23 kts and they seem to bog down in the sea, 23-25kts in nice depending on conditions of course then im near high 20's. I think the 50's will struggle with a higher pitch prop as noelm said, it wont have the 'punch'. I think the 60 high thrusts are great motors but you do have to really wring their necks to get the performance thats needed. It wouldnt fit them anyway. Im seriously thinking about getting 'full' waterline pods made up and installed on mine and fitting maybe 80hp yammie 4's or 90 suzuki's. The new 1900's dont have full watrline pods( im talking built to the exact shape of the hull) Im just going to sit back for a little while yet to see what the future brings as four's are getting lighter and better all the time and it would really ruin a great boat by fitting up the wrong motors. Not sure about etecs, four strokes are better resale i think. Dean.

Dean1
13-02-2008, 09:05 PM
If you google '5.2 kevlact' an article comes up somewhere thats called F&B QUICK TEST New Life For The 5.2m Kevlacat Cuddy. Its my exact boat with a pair of 50hp honda's on it. good reading. It says it cruises nicely in the mid 20's and sweet spot 5000rpm. Maybe the 50's can be propped to suit :D

boatboy50
13-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey Dean,

Yep, i've studied that article closely. Heres hoping I can return figures like that. That's all I need, and SOLAS are the people to deliver it (for a small cost!)

I'll keep an eye on the Miami show, hopefully they will be getting some new lighter 4 bangers in this size. I heard a while ago yammie were making a 70/4.

I'd buy a Suzuki 70 tomorrow if it was about 25kg's lighter per engine.

Regards

Darren

Dean1
13-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Ye darren theres talk of a 70 yam 4, i know a yamaha dealer he reckons they actually built one but for some reason it never hit the showroom floor. Thinks they must have had dramas with it.

Jabba_
13-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I've checked all the weights, and the Hondas are very light engines. The Yammie 60 is next, and the ETECS are the next heaviest.

Freddo, Thanks for the figures, they will help me a lot. As the top speed is not what i'm trying to achieve the most, the 90's will just chew too much fuel for my needs. I'd love the power, but not the weight or fuel use.

Regards

Darren
Just note, if you go with the 90hp, you'll be able to go a larger pitch prop, hence faster cruise speed and more distance travelled at same RPM.. Fuel per hour might go up slightly,, but because you traveling quicker you Klm's/litre will be more economical.....

finding_time
13-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Just note, if you go with the 90hp, you'll be able to go a larger pitch prop, hence faster cruise speed and more distance travelled at same RPM.. Fuel per hour might go up slightly,, but because you traveling quicker you Klm's/litre will be more economical.....

Nup doesn't read my earlier post!

Ian

Greg P
13-02-2008, 09:46 PM
C'mon guys - I got some cold beers in the fridge and some popcorn ready to nuke. I wanna hear about flying through 30kn se winds and passing every mono under the sun.

Surely these KC's would have to be the ducks nuts with ETECs :P:P:P:P

Dean1
13-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey greg 35kt winds that is get it right! ;D Hey Im thinking seriously of calling my kc Cool Cat 11 what ya reckon??

finding_time
13-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey Greg

Still the doubter hey! Well next time you want to go for a run?;) This year it's bound to be blown 30knots!!!!:-[ I'm always keen to claim another fisher!;D

On the E-tecs , i really looked into it and spoke to the owner of a kc with the 90's on, he's got another 7-8 knots on mine but his fuel at cruise is way up on what i use and he is only getting about 240km's out of his tanks. He is only cruising at 3900 rpm which would be nice! If i was to go to the 90's it means removing my tanks and the foward bulk head ,installing a larger tank ( about 195l) and bridging it for strength . then theres the issue of having another 160kg of fuel onboard ( more weight = more rpm= more burn= vicious circle) If i was to go with bigger motors i would go with the new suki 90's as the 7kg lighter than the honda 75's.

At present i'm getting close to 340km's out of my tanks and need every bit so i'll be sticking with the present motors as, new motors, new tanks and new pods would really hurt the hip pocket.

Ian

Ian

Greg P
13-02-2008, 09:56 PM
PMSL - Ian, I know it is hard but dont get so emotional - they are just boats

Dean - sorry mate 35 knots is right ;D;D;D;D

Dean1
13-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Very interesting( Lee, the owner of the orange 6.5m fisher called serial fisher as seen on the home page here) rang me last week telling me how he went for a run in ians(finding times) 5.2. He said he was very impressed at the speeds these boats can travel thru the rough stuff and theres no way he could do those speeds in his fisher ;)

Greg P
13-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Good luck with that ;D;D;D;D

If I paid that much for a twenty year old boat I would talking them up as well :-X;D;D;D;D;D

finding_time
13-02-2008, 10:24 PM
PMSL - Ian, I know it is hard but dont get so emotional - they are just boats

Dean - sorry mate 35 knots is right ;D;D;D;D

Emotional? I only waste that on the BL@@DY weather;) I'm seroius though i find that my boat only has 2 speeds , cruise speed 24-25knots and troll speed. It doesn't make any differance to the throttle positions weather it's blowing 10 knots ( forgotten what's this is like ) or 25 knots ( i know exactally what this is like) i drive at exactally the same speed. And the more confused the sea the better the cats like it. Off the coast the other day it was blowing hard , we had a solid 2m+ easterly swell with another se swell mixed in plus a northorley swell mixed in, Just ugly. We still ran from the sea way to the tweed at 25knots and passed the Riv on the way as well as that grady white( he did speed up and pass us back but after 300m he gave up and we passed him again, must have spilt his coffee) The cats are just differant on calm days ( if we ever get them again) every boat under the sun , including quinnies will pass me , but on rough days it's a differant story. Lucky i've got the cat THIS year!!:D

Ian

Ian

finding_time
13-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Good luck with that ;D;D;D;D

If I paid that much for a twenty year old boat I would talking them up as well :-X;D;D;D;D;D

Hummmmmm, will the fisher be worth more in 20 years than it was when it was brought?

Ps better than paying 100k for a new one and besides the old one are the good ones;)

Greg P
13-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Thats enough on the teasers - it's time to throw a switchbait in ;D;D;D;D

Just having some fun. They are a great little boat no doubt and I have spent more time aboard Sharkcats the old man owned as a youngster than monos but there is no way in the world I personally would pay that sort of money for one new or used. I'll put up with "shitty ride" and "shitty economy" anytime.

boatboy50
13-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Hummmmmm, will the fisher be worth more in 20 years than it was when it was brought?

Ps better than paying 100k for a new one and besides the old one are the good ones;)

Lol,

You guys crack me up sometimes.

FT, tell me more about these new Zuks. Sounds like a real possability. Can't find any info.

Greg, as you know i've always been a cat fan. Just read through the F&B article, and nowhere does it actually state top speed or rpm with the Hondas!!! Doh!!! Have to talk to Pete about that one.

Surely a topic like this will bring back the big K! C'mon Kerry, I know your lurking out there. Your input is valid and will be considered!

Regards

Darren

finding_time
13-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Darren

The new suki's are not released yet so there will be nothing to find, but they are apparently comming. I know of a few kc owners that will be taking a good look.

Ian

Ps. i've been waiting for Kerry to show up as well

the_bomber
14-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Ian
Won't just buying the other half of the boat hurt the hip pocket?
Whoops what do they say about people in glass houses:-X

freddofrog
14-02-2008, 08:30 AM

You'd think that be the case but I had 17" (s/s) props before changing down to 15". The 17s just laboured the motor. WOT is still 34kn but now at 5500rpm, previously it was 5200rpm.

Can't remember what rpm it used to cruise at though and fuel usage is still about the same.

hinchy
14-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Should not really be entering this dicussion as I have had VERY limited experience with cats.Have owned boats most of my life,allbeit mono hulls.
My observations since owning this particular Kevlacat 5.2 for a very short time are
1.I would estimate that it is 5% to 71/2% heavier [dry hull weight,built to survey] than the Touraments or Profishers built around the same time.
2.It has a much higher screen as well as a hardtop [ more weight]
3.It is antifouled.
These differences I believe will impact upon the power requirements needed to drive this boat effectively.
I did quite a deal of research during the period that the boat was for sale as I had considered repowering it for my sons in W.A.The conclusion that I reached co-incided with Noelm and Smithy.I do not believe that 60hp 4 strokes will do the job,the motor more suited to this boat I believe is a pair of 90hp 2 strokes.Perhaps the only exception may be a pair of 90hp Etec's[although weight of 148kg would have to be considered].
Four strokes in the 75hp to 90hp range could all be too heavy,although the boat is fitted with the bigger pods.
I could have purchased a pair a late model 80hp 4 stroke Yammies at a very reasonable price,however considered their weight of approx. 176kg each to to be probably too much for this hull.
Who is qualified to determine acccurately the maximum weight that this hull can carry considering all of the variances?Certainly not me.

Regards
Hinchy

Noelm
14-02-2008, 10:43 AM
fully agree there, I have been in heaps of 5.2's and by far the best Motor for them is the 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke, but that Motor is not everyone's "cup of tea" BUT as a compromise needs to be reached, I reckon that it is the best of all Motors in the range, they are light as buggery, easy to "play" with at home, reasonable fuel economy, good power output (but nowhere as good as a V4 90HP) so I guess you will need to look at the weights of any new 4 strokes that come around and hope a light weight model in the 80 to 90HP range rears it's Head soon!

Noelm
14-02-2008, 10:46 AM
OH and Anti Fouling will make a difference when you are on the minimum limit for Power to start off with, as does extra weight and wind resistance (higher screen) and so on, these things are not as noticable when you have a heap of Power, but will really make a difference in this case!

Vitamin Sea
14-02-2008, 10:52 AM
C'mon guys - I got some cold beers in the fridge and some popcorn ready to nuke. I wanna hear about flying through 30kn se winds and passing every mono under the sun.

Surely these KC's would have to be the ducks nuts with ETECs :P:P:P:P

Re: Shark Cat 5m Sportsman, or 5.2 Cuddy
Vit sea im gonna have to take you for a spin mate to show you what these boats do. I know youll be blown away. Your boat looks like the one i came up behind in the bay about 6 or so weeks ago when i was havin a play in the bay for the 1st time in my new boat. It was pretty rough that day, the other boat was gettin smashed about and i was WOT heading past just stirring him up. was that you?

LOL

Love these "discussions"

Don't stir up the cat boys Greg, is this the one you are refering to

Cheers

Fish Guts
14-02-2008, 12:02 PM
yeh they do speak some crap, sorry guys. id hate to be in a 5.2 kc going through 2-3 metres swell at wot. we have a ten metre cat and, yea we could possibly go 36 knots into it, but youd be hanging on and pretty stupid. hate to see a 5.2 trying to go through it at 30 knots..kiddin emselves

freddofrog
14-02-2008, 12:26 PM
... I have been in heaps of 5.2's and by far the best Motor for them is the 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke...

hey that's my tub, of course I knew that when I bought it...not!

The only thing I don't like about the motors is the fuel comsumption but they sure do sound sweet when you open them up.

btw mine is also antifouled so I guess if I was really keen I could strip it back to get slightly better economy and speed but too much effort in my books. And apparantly the antifoul on it (a light lime green) is the ducks nuts of anitfouls and costs a bomb so I may as well leave it on.

cya
ff

Noelm
14-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I had a pair of 90 yamahas on an 18' Sharkcat and my mate had a 6.2 Kevlacat with them, (that was pretty useless) and the fuel economy was OK, not too sure what you think is good, but I reckoned they where OK, they are not the smoothest Engine on the Market, but they are very reliable and simple, plus they are light as hell about 120KG from memory, so they suit a 5.2KC very well.

Noelm
14-02-2008, 01:05 PM
one thing with the 90 is that from 4,000 RPM to 5,500 the fuel use is almost double, so it pays to sit around 4 grand if you can, with smaller Engines this is not possible because row boats would be passing you or you will be bogging down at every wave. (almost)

finding_time
14-02-2008, 03:23 PM
yeh they do speak some crap, sorry guys. id hate to be in a 5.2 kc going through 2-3 metres swell at wot. we have a ten metre cat and, yea we could possibly go 36 knots into it, but youd be hanging on and pretty stupid. hate to see a 5.2 trying to go through it at 30 knots..kiddin emselves

Fishguts,

Have you been in a 5.2 kc in 2-3m swell?

If not how about listening to someone who has or come for a ride with me in those conditions before you throw mud!!;) There's no shortage of bad weather atm to test your opinions out!!!

My wot is only 29-30 knots and i can assure you i have been been in good 2m ( I have never said 3 that's you trying to big note yourself)swells this season and doing 29 knots, has it been scarey? Yep at times, a few of the holes we have driven into have been BIG:o In fact a torch would have been handy!;) And the gunnels have had a good wash on occasions but i find as long as i drive into the holes not steer away from them all seems good. I've also had the owner of a 3000 kc comment at how good my boat handles the conditions.

Ian

Ps. Wasn't it you fishguts that recently came to the defence of a mate who was getting accused of rolling a cat in moreton bay. I believe your point was that if you didn't know the facts you shouldn't throw stones. So unless you have been in a KC in those conditions take your own advice Mate!!!

Fish Guts
14-02-2008, 04:45 PM
hmmm that one hit hard. with regards to coming to the defence of a mate who rolled a cat in moreton bay > i dindt know the skipper at all. i sympathised with him because i have also tested that make and model of boat that rolled and i think we all know their checkered past, and hence their absolute demise from the market to this day. thats a whole different scenario and not related at all to this at all. had you tested the cat in question before ? if not , your guilty of throwing mud.

with regards to your friggate/destroyer/ kevla cat. good on you for pushing it to its limits and having a hairy ride. what i want to highlight is the fact that, yes these boats can go into 2m of swell at 30 knots, but in no way is it comfortable or safe. i have experience with bigger cats and often think to myself when travelling home from offshore about all the hot heads on ausfish who blurt out how easy their little 5m cat can go through 2m of swell at a speed of 30 knots, hell i can just get that in a 6-7 tonne 10m noosa cat let alone a 5.2m kevlacat. i dont want to come in your boat to test the conditions out and im not throwing mud. at the end of the day mate its a boat. but dont make them out to be more than what they are, thats all i was trying to say.

cheers

fish guts

seren-y-mor
14-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey Daz
I had the same problem as you, i am sure you remember it wasnt that long ago, i am glad that i didnt go smaller than 70s. I was looking at those 60hp high thrust 4 strokes as well.. could you make up the difference in weight between those 50hp hondas and the 70hp suzi by loading somthing on the transom like some drums of water or somthing just to see if she can take the extra weight i know it will handle like cr#p but would be good to see what she does, just an idea if its the weight you are worryed about!8-)

daz did you look into them yellow bouys for me?

boatboy50
15-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks Jase,

I did, but havn't heard since. I'm onto it!

Regards

Darren

kitty_cat
15-02-2008, 06:21 PM
today the 90hp suzukis were released at miami boatshow
lighter than 168kgs ( exact figue to come)
1502 cc 1.5 ltr
4 cylinder double overhead cam 4 valves per cylinder
2.59:1 gear ratio great hole shot & top end
digitial sequential electronic fuel injection
zero maintanace self adjusting timing chain
30 amp alternator
off set drive shaft

the physical size is also a lot smaller than previous model

they will be available by the end off the year
i will bolting a set onto my 5.2 as soon as i can

yes i work for suzuki outlet (springwood marine) but still think the wheight power and design of these 90s are a perfect suit to the 5.2 kevlacat but recommend the larger pods , i will post a photo of the pods on my boat

kitty_cat
15-02-2008, 06:29 PM
i will take some better photos but one i had

Dean1
15-02-2008, 07:05 PM
hmmm that one hit hard. with regards to coming to the defence of a mate who rolled a cat in moreton bay > i dindt know the skipper at all. i sympathised with him because i have also tested that make and model of boat that rolled and i think we all know their checkered past, and hence their absolute demise from the market to this day. thats a whole different scenario and not related at all to this at all. had you tested the cat in question before ? if not , your guilty of throwing mud.

with regards to your friggate/destroyer/ kevla cat. good on you for pushing it to its limits and having a hairy ride. what i want to highlight is the fact that, yes these boats can go into 2m of swell at 30 knots, but in no way is it comfortable or safe. i have experience with bigger cats and often think to myself when travelling home from offshore about all the hot heads on ausfish who blurt out how easy their little 5m cat can go through 2m of swell at a speed of 30 knots, hell i can just get that in a 6-7 tonne 10m noosa cat let alone a 5.2m kevlacat. i dont want to come in your boat to test the conditions out and im not throwing mud. at the end of the day mate its a boat. but dont make them out to be more than what they are, thats all i was trying to say.

cheers

fish guts Hi fishguts, i dont know where the 3m swell at 30 kts bit came from? I came home in 3m swells 25kts from the banks about 3 months ago and i would say by memory the fastest i travelled was say 25kts and that was a bit scary. I think things get blown out of proportion on here, all i know is that im very impressed and confident of the ride i get out of my 5.2 kc. The ride for a 5.2m boat is really amazing that alot of the time you have to remind yourself that you are only in a "5.2m" boat, im not saying they are only capable of doing things 5.2m monos can do as we all know the answer there (they blow away most monos up to 7 metres), i mean you get very confident in them and take them for granted sometimes. Like you say they are only boats but when you get one that kicks butt you get a bit excited ;D Vitamin Sea was looking down the path of a cat but i thik he got a little scared :o Lets keep it real and we'll all know whats right and whats wrong. Cheers Dean.

Vitamin Sea
15-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Vitamin Sea was looking down the path of a cat but i thik he got a little scared :o Lets keep it real and we'll all know whats right and whats wrong. Cheers Dean.[/quote]

Hey Deano

Not scared buddy, still thinking and looking ( GM )

Just like having fun with you guys ( might even be a closet Cat fan:-X )

Cheers

Grand_Marlin
15-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Geez ... you are all talking like you own Sharkcats :D

Dean wants to put my 560 Sharkcat Sportsman with the twin 85's up against his 5.2 Kevlacat with the twin 70's.

I must say I was a bit apprehensive about this for two reasons:

1) I didnt know how much head start to give him :P

2) I know he paid a lot of money for his Kevlacat and I would hate to break his spirit and see him instantly drop into a state of chronic depression ;D

Cheers

Pete

conquest
16-02-2008, 07:04 AM
i have had a 5.2 kc 94 mod ,survey built ,i purchased it from a spanner crabber at ballina.
he loved it with a then 01 pair of xl long leg merc 2 stroke 75hp.
so did i, av cruise speed at sea was always only about 16-17 knots[weather]
anyway and it purred at that with good fuel burn and no engine troubles.
try a 94 7.2 with a pair of 200 yam v6 2 strokes [ 15 dollars in fuel from ramp to out side leads]

Dean1
16-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Geez ... you are all talking like you own Sharkcats :D

Dean wants to put my 560 Sharkcat Sportsman with the twin 85's up against his 5.2 Kevlacat with the twin 70's.

I must say I was a bit apprehensive about this for two reasons:

1) I didnt know how much head start to give him :P

2) I know he paid a lot of money for his Kevlacat and I would hate to break his spirit and see him instantly drop into a state of chronic depression ;D

Cheers

Pete Ha ha Pete your a funny man ;D I think ill get sick of waiting around for the race as we all know how long you take to get your boats up and running :P Just look at the yellow garden nome in your front yard :-/

boatboy50
16-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks Guys,

The new Suzuki DF70/80/90 Four Stroke looks like it has a lot of promise. Lighter than the current 70, and around the same as the Etec 90 range.

Here are the weights of the key players

Honda 50hp Four Stroke 96kg (current engines)
Yamaha 60 High Thrust 4 stroke 119kg
Honda 75hp Four Stroke 162kg
Mercury Bigfoot 60hp 4 stroke 120kg
Evinrude ETEC 60 109kg
Evinrude ETEC 75 145kg
Evinrude ETEC 90 148kg
Suzuki DF60/70/90 4 Stroke under 160kg exact not knwon yet

A lot of good choices there, which will all suit the boat for different reasons.

Kitty Cat, i'm very interested to know how your boat floats the Honda 75's. Do you have any pics of it stationary in the water?

Regards

Darren

Chimo
16-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Darren

What are you thoughts on the different gear drive ratios?

Chimo

northernblue
16-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Ha ha Pete your a funny man ;D I think ill get sick of waiting around for the race as we all know how long you take to get your boats up and running :P Just look at the yellow garden nome in your front yard :-/

Are you having a crack at me or Pete Deano??:P

Grand_Marlin
17-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Are you having a crack at me or Pete Deano??:P

How is your boat going?

Haven't heard from you for a while.

Cheers

Pete

finding_time
17-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't say the 60's are to small a motor at all in fact if your not careful and apply to much throttle to quickly this happens!!!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=916&d=1193136536

Ian

Noelm
18-02-2008, 07:20 AM
OK might as well get some rocks thrown at me (again) first off a "race" will prove nothing, the winner of a "race" will be determined by HP first, then driver, not the Boats capability (to a point) but let me tell you, I have owned, at some time, fished out of, or worked out of both Boats mentioned in this "discussion" and given adequate power for both Boats, the Sharkcat will eat the kevlacat for dinner, I know a lot will not want to hear that, but fact is fact, don't care how many of you have got one and done 30knots in 100' seas or anything else!, now that does not necessarily make the Sharkcat a better Boat for what we use them for, but it is a simple fact of life, it is a far better performer for a "race", been in an 18' with 70HP as side and one 175's on it and heaps in between so I think I can speak with some confidence here, so, flack jacket done up, safety hat on tight, let them rocks go!!!

boatboy50
18-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Guys,

Please get back onto the initial idea of the post before it gets pulled.

I don't care how fast I can go in 3m seas, or whether an 18ft Sharkcat is driven by an idiot and will go faster than me. I will go as fast as I want to.

I want to know what engines the 5.2KC will float comfortably, and use all the information given here to make a good decision on spending 20 odd k.

All I need is a cruise of about 22 knots, and a flat out of just on 30 knots. Anything more will be a bonus, not a requirement.

Please let the thread stay on it's purpose.

Regards

Darren

Noelm
18-02-2008, 08:53 AM
fair enough, well said, I guess we (me) get carried away at times! I know of one that had 90HP V4 Evinrudes fitted and it was WAY too heavy in the bum, so I guess have a look and find out what they weighed back when they were new and use that as a guide and subtract a bit and let that be the absolute Max weight, but as a guess I don't think I would be putting anymore than about 135KG (ish) MAX in it!

Noelm
18-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I forgot, that then leaves you with a couple of 60HP 4's and an Etec, or a 70/90HP Yamaha 2 stroke as about the only options without going over the top in weight.

mirage
18-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Guys,

Please get back onto the initial idea of the post before it gets pulled.

I don't care how fast I can go in 3m seas, or whether an 18ft Sharkcat is driven by an idiot and will go faster than me. I will go as fast as I want to.

I want to know what engines the 5.2KC will float comfortably, and use all the information given here to make a good decision on spending 20 odd k.

All I need is a cruise of about 22 knots, and a flat out of just on 30 knots. Anything more will be a bonus, not a requirement.

Please let the thread stay on it's purpose.

Regards

Darren

Darren,

2 friends both have a 5.2 KC. Both boats have been re-engined with the Yam 60hp high thrust and both achieve the figures you just quoted you would like. Both are VERY happy with thier choice. These engines at the moment seem to be the best choice for the 5.2 unless a new 4stk comes along at higher hp with a significant reduction in weight.
Good luck with your choice, Scotty.

finding_time
18-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Darren

Come for a ride with me mate if you want to see how the yami high thrust 60's go!
They certainly fill your above requirements and there good on fuel aswell

Cheers ian!

Ps. I'll pm you my ph.

Greg P
18-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Darren

How much more does a survey 5.2 weigh when compared to the standard version ? Are they really made any differently ?

I reckon the 60 yammies will do what you want without a worry as long as the boat doesnt weight that much more.

Cheers

Greg

boatboy50
18-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys,

Greg, I would estimate that my boat would weigh at least another couple of hundred kilos more than a standard boat. They do build them differently for survey.

FT, thanks for the offer. Will give you a call probably tonight or tomorrow.

At the moment, I think I will be best buying time until the new 90 Suzukis come out. They are reportadly 161kg, putting out 90hp. This may be an acceptable option. Other than that, the Yammie 60's are the only other option.

Thank again

Regards

Darren

Noelm
18-02-2008, 12:55 PM
you dont think 161KG will be getting a tad too heavy? perhaps as mentioned you should get some weight (sand bag, water bottles) and put the Boat in the water with the Motors you have, then add the extra weight to make up approx 160KG and have a look see at the trim! be sure to add the weight on the pod, not in the Boat!

kitty_cat
18-02-2008, 01:55 PM
hey noel i run the 75 hp honda carberetta models at the momement and they are boarderline to heavy 174kg, wouldnt put them on a new boat if was my choice but the new suzukis at 13-15kg (159-161kg) per motor lighter shouldnt be a problem keep in mind i allready have the larger pods, i will let you know as soon as mine are on.

Noelm
18-02-2008, 02:21 PM
gees 174KG for a 75 is pretty heavy, but as you said, if he can save a bit of weight and the times2 he may get out o it OK and get good power to weight as well.

boatboy50
18-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks Guys,

Taking the cat for a run tomorrow, so will let you all know the current figures exactly in the gale.

I will also pop by the one I know of with twin 75 ETECS, and get some pics as an idea of how they float.

I will definately try the water bottle weight test before I jump into anything to be sure.

To my way of thinking, if Kitty Cat's boat can hold the Hondas with no dramas, it should hold an ETEC 90 or new Suzuki 90 without any dramas. Any floating pics Kitty would be a great help.

The boat has the upgraded pods also, so will only accept 25" legs, but will also take more weight.

Regards

Darren

mirage
18-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeh, it's a tough choice Darren.
It would be great to have the extra hp of 2 x 90 Suzukis on the back, and underway I'm sure the extra hp and thrust would counter the extra weight in the arse.
Your problem would be at rest and trolling speed where (assuming these new zukes are 161kg) an extra 84kg in total hanging right out the back would really make the arse "droop". Scotty.

tin can marlin
18-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Stick with the proven one yamaha.

kitty_cat
19-02-2008, 12:06 PM
couple of pics with the larger pods ,scotty the trolling is definatly no dramas even with the heaver hondas but you are right 2 people at rest no problems but three and your standing in water
ill try and track down some photos at rest
wayne

fly_1
19-02-2008, 05:05 PM
the difference between a survey and non survey in the 5.2 kcats is about 70kg. Its actually very little difference to a normal one. It has the same flotation requirements etc, it just has a few extra inspection hatches, a seperate (usually manual) pump to drain the decks if water were to enter and a few other small details. A good mate on the coast has a 5.2 built to survey, and after speaking to him, theres not alot of difference. As far as the pods go, the larger, or should I say higher ones designed for the extra long legs, are not much bigger than the smaller, original ones. As matter of fact, alot of guys simply weld a higher bracket on to the original one to suit the taller motors, thus they provide no more lift, or bouyancy at all. My kcat has the larger pods on it, and the 60 yamahas are about as heavy as I would go, without affecting the boats performance/ride etc...
The problem with the etecs ( apart from being etecs/2 strokes etc....) is that they never used to make the 75hp with a extra long leg. This may have changed, and if so, could be an option. I have been in my mates boat with the 90shondas on it, and although he has new/redisigned pods( that were made by the kcat engineer), his boat still sits arse heavy. he has had to move all his battery boxes up the front, and although it goes like a rocket, he will be the first to admit it still doesnt ride like it used to.
I have the 60 yamahas, and yes somedays it would be nice to have more power, but really, if 23kts cruise, and 30 flatout is not enough, what is???, and how often can you go faster than that anyway.
Just my 2 cents worth.......

Dean1
19-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey fly1 Gavin at victory parts (yamaha dealer) was telling me the other day about a guy up the coast who got full waterline pods made up and bolted on with new 90 hp hondas on his 5.2. Im thinking this could be the same guy, i was very interested to find out how that excersize went. Doesnt sound very succsessful the poor guy. Gee im thinking the f 60's may be the go, only other alternative will be if a 70 yammie four comes out thats the same weight, i wish they'd bring it out!

boatboy50
19-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks Guys,.

Kitty, thanks very much for the pix.

Got out too late today and darkness set in before I could get any pics.

Will try to get some on Sunday.

Would really love to see the Honda 75's floating in the water, and compare it to my/others waterlines.

Regards

Darren

Greg P
20-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Darren - did you get any pics or info on these new df90s? The 08 zuke cattledog is out now and there is nothing. Any replies on the Miami section on THT?

Noelm
20-02-2008, 12:09 PM
nope, I read a report on the Miami show, (as well as THT) and there was not one mention of anything especially exciting or new!

boatboy50
20-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Greg,

Yep, i've got all the details.

There is a pic on THT in the miami show pics thread.

The specs are as posted above, only thing not certain is weight! I have been told it is lighter than the current 70, and estimated at 161kg, putting out almost 1600cc.

They are all based on the new 70 block, so the 70/80/90 are all the same cc.

The current 90 has been upspecked to a 100, and now slots into that slot.

They should be here around winter our time.

Regards

Darren

Grunter71
20-02-2008, 02:48 PM
I have just been reading the "News" on the Suzuki website. It states the new 70-80-90, as well as a new 100hp model, will be unveiled at the Miami show, but will not be officially launched until May and will not be released for sale until 2009. Wonder how long it will be until we see them down here?

Sounds like they will be similar in weight to the new Honda 75/90's.

Here is a link to the news article

http://www.suzukimarine.com/_m/news/power_4-ward.pdf

Ally Jack
20-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Have you considered the Mercury Opti's? 75 or 90hp
Both are 170kg's, so about the same as the 75 honda

I'm not a merc man (go the yammie 4stk) but it's another option

Ally Jack

termi
20-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I've got 70hp johnson 2 st on mine, all 96 and i'm also getting 1lt/ km. Top speed around 59km/h at 5500 criusing 45km/h at 4500. There's a guy here in adelaide with 90hp etecs on his. He upgraded from 60hp johnsons and recons he is getting better economy than the 60's. Top speed 70-72km/h and on a 100km trip used approx 65-70lt from memory. I have seen it sitting in the water and it sits slightly lower in the ass than mine but not an issue. I think the 90 etec is the way to go, more horses and only2kg heavier than the 75 etec. I had an etec on my previous boat , know guys that are running them and i can tell they are a top motor.

Luke G
21-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Delete....

boatboy50
24-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey Guys,

Just thought i'd post some pics showing my pods and how the current Hondas are floated.

I'd love to see similar pics of how the 75 Hondas and ETECS are floated. I havn't sent he 5.2 with 75 ETECS in the water yet, as it lives on a lift.

Theres a set of used 90 Yamaha 2 bangers for sale at the moment which I am considering, but the fuel consumption on the 50's is very hard to go past at the moment.

Think i'll sit tight for the moment.

Regards

Darren

Dean1
24-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey Guys,

Just thought i'd post some pics showing my pods and how the current Hondas are floated.

I'd love to see similar pics of how the 75 Hondas and ETECS are floated. I havn't sent he 5.2 with 75 ETECS in the water yet, as it lives on a lift.

Theres a set of used 90 Yamaha 2 bangers for sale at the moment which I am considering, but the fuel consumption on the 50's is very hard to go past at the moment.

Think i'll sit tight for the moment.

Regards

Darren Hi Darren, mate how is it going with the 50 hondas on it?? If there working ok just rack some more hours up and see what motors pop there head up! Gee i got out in mine today, i think my 70 yammie 2 strokes are a geat motor for these i dont care what anyone says on here about them been too small. I very rarely go flat out and they sit on about 4800 (25kts) very comfortably. Id be more than happy to take you for a spin just to show what the 70's feel like, no need for the 90hp 2 strokes at all i dont think. Dean. Noelm doesnt rate the 70's, maybe his were a little tired ;)

hinchy
25-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi Darren

The 5.2 looks very businesslike with the hardtop back on it.I would say that a few prospective kevlacat 5.2 buyers would have to wonder what they might have missed here?
You are obviously a very good judge of boats and could see beyond the cosmetics to the real value of the boat.
I wish you all the best with the boat and know that it will repay you handsomely in the future.

Kind Regards

Hinchy

Noelm
25-02-2008, 08:09 AM
don't necessarily not rate the 70's, been in heaps with them, but as you mentioned you cruise at 4,500RPM with the 90's that would pull back to about 3,900 or 4,000 and the fuel difference from 4500 to 4000 is considerable, from 4,000 up they start to really use some, BUT 70's are OK, but I reckon the true minimum, that's all.

Grunter71
25-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey Noel

I run a Sharkcat with twin 70 Yamahas, and have found fuel usage for us works out at about 1km/litre for both engines. I haven't found any difference in fuel usage at different revs. I don't have any fuel flow guages, I only calculate total fuel used when I get home. I have spent days trolling at 6 - 8 knots, I have also had days where the distance travel was at 4000, 4500 and 5000 revs to try and find the most economical speed. The fuel usage always ends up at 1km/litre. I appreciate the fuel used per hour will be greater at the higher revs, but the higher speed means we don't actually use any more or less for the day.

Noelm
25-02-2008, 12:14 PM
i know your Boat Grunter, I looked at it before you bought it, 70's on an 18' sharkcat will be like the 50's on this KC, still goes OK, but a long way short of getting the Boats full performance potential out of it. BUt at least it goes OK and is reliable.

Dean1
26-02-2008, 06:58 PM
don't necessarily not rate the 70's, been in heaps with them, but as you mentioned you cruise at 4,500RPM with the 90's that would pull back to about 3,900 or 4,000 and the fuel difference from 4500 to 4000 is considerable, from 4,000 up they start to really use some, BUT 70's are OK, but I reckon the true minimum, that's all. Strangely i get 1klm/ 1 litre whatever revs or speed im going as well. If i go flat chat to the banks or i go at say 23kts i use the exact same figure same as grunter says. Freddofrog on here runs 90's and he's getting worse economy than me . Go figure, i thought would be better on fuel than the 70's but it doesnt seem that way? Deano.

Dean1
26-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Darren

The 5.2 looks very businesslike with the hardtop back on it.I would say that a few prospective kevlacat 5.2 buyers would have to wonder what they might have missed here?
You are obviously a very good judge of boats and could see beyond the cosmetics to the real value of the boat.
I wish you all the best with the boat and know that it will repay you handsomely in the future.

Kind Regards

Hinchy Hinchy congrats for finally selling her mate, darrens bought very well, he has a great base there and im sure he'll make one hell of a boat out of her. Hardtop looks the bussiness, i reckon youll miss the boat. Deano.

hinchy
27-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi Deano

Yes,you are probably right there,I believe that I will miss the boat,however as I previously stated it was just too heavy for my planned trips up north.I am now a dedicated cat fan and have purchased one hell of a little boat,a 4.1 Raider Cat Cuddy Cab with a pair of 50hp CV Yammies on the back,one very tough and capable little boat able to be towed very easily behind a car.

Kind Regards

Hinchy

boatboy50
27-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks Guys,

Bob, you should see her shine now! Very happy with the purchase, and getting closer to having her how I want her.

The Hondas are going strong, and i've got no doubt they will last a while yet before I'm ready for the repower.

Slowly turning her into a ready to go finshing machine.

Regards

Darren

Lovey80
27-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey Darren, not sure if it has been asked yet but what year model/make is the KC?

Cheers Chris

seren-y-mor
28-02-2008, 09:11 PM
i know your Boat Grunter, I looked at it before you bought it, 70's on an 18' sharkcat will be like the 50's on this KC, still goes OK, but a long way short of getting the Boats full performance potential out of it. BUt at least it goes OK and is reliable.

I strongly disagree noelm, my sharky has 70 yammies and it goes very well, How can twin 70 2strokes compare to twin 50 hondas?

saw darrens boat on sat, Their cant be that much differance in weight surely

regards jason

boatboy50
28-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey Chris,

My boat is a 1994 build. It's a Kevlacat 5.2 Cuddy, built to survey. Engines are 2003.

For the guys who question any difference between survey and non survey, I cut some holes in the side deck to fit rod holders the other day. The decks were a whopping 20mm (3/4 inch) thick. I've kept the cutouts for the non believers. A normal boat would be less than half that thickness in the same area. I spoke to the guys at Kevlacat the other day, and they tell me when built to survey the stems of the hulls are over 25mm (1") thick! Now thats solid!

Jase, I think Noel gets too much sun up north! See what you have to look forward too! He has a thing for speed judging by his posts, and fuel is not too much of an issue. The rest of us don't have that luxury.

Regards

Darren

P.S. Still working on those bouys! I'll have them before the move, promise!

seren-y-mor
28-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I agree daz,

Rember when ray took them twin 50 hondas off his noosa cat because of poor performance he replaced them with twin 70 yammies and got a lot better performance?

it must have been about 3 years ago now though?

regards jason

Noelm
29-02-2008, 07:07 AM
sorry, but I do not have a "need for speed" at all, but the RIGHT Motors can transform a Boat from a good/marginal performer to something all together different, not at all to do with speed, but proper HP to get the best out of a given hull, I too have had an 18' Sharkcat with 70's, so don't think for one minute I am generalising, but the same Boat with 90's was 5 times better, and the comment on the camparison between the Kevlacat power and the Sharkcat power, had nothing to do with the weights of the two, BUT the KC is a much more easily driven Boat than the Sharkcat, I have also seen 18' Sharkcats with 55HP Johnsons on them, but does not make them good or cheap to run, they were dismal performers to say the least! so that's my bit on all this, we are all "Armchair" experts on all things at times, but some have done the things we speak about, some are just sideline gurus!

hinchy
29-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Ausfishers

I estimate that the weight of Darren's KC hull without hardtop,motors,fuel and any other loose gear to be 1180kgs to 1200kgs.I admit that I do not know what the Touraments or other 5.2 hulls weigh.I had the boat/trailer over a weighbridge and have worked back from a known weight,less trailer,motors,fuel etc and arrived at the weight above.I can support Darren's comments regarding the solidarity of the boat,it is certainly very soundly built.I still hold with my original comment that I believe that a pair of 90hp 2 stoke motors would be the ideal match for this particular boat considering weight of motors and extra power required to propel the extra hull weight and added height of the screen and hardtop.

Kind Regards

Hinchy

Noelm
29-02-2008, 07:42 AM
that's what I said and got flamed for being a speed demon, and all that "extra" stuff would start to add up, a lot of people would be very surprised what their Boat actually weighs fully "water ready" with fuel, bait, ice, people, gear, fish? the whole lot adds considerable weight

boatboy50
29-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Guys,

I think your missing the point. Twin 90's may provide the best performance, but I can not justify it when filling at the bowser.

Performance of all other engines is fine as long as the fuel use is decent.

At this stage I'm happy to stick with the 50's until the new Four Stroke 90 Suzukis or new 70 Yammies come out. Two strokes will always be fuel guzzlers. Even the 75 Etecs aren't that good on fuel, unless compared to the old two strokes!

I've got no doubts Hinchy's weight estimate is pretty close, even a little lenient I would think.

Regards

Darren

STUIE63
29-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Though I have no experience with cats I have had mono hulls and everyone i owned that i upgraded motors to max horsepower for the hull .The hull came alive and i actually used less fuel with the bigger motors because everywhere you run you are at half throttle. one example was i had a yammie two stroke forty three cylinder on a 4m stacer open boat it was sweet when i put that motor on a bluefin 4.5m warrior open boat it was a dog and used twice as much fuel.I will never again own a boat that does not have max HP on the back of it.just my thoughts
Stuie

seren-y-mor
29-02-2008, 08:07 PM
sorry, but I do not have a "need for speed" at all, but the RIGHT Motors can transform a Boat from a good/marginal performer to something all together different, not at all to do with speed, but proper HP to get the best out of a given hull, I too have had an 18' Sharkcat with 70's, so don't think for one minute I am generalising, but the same Boat with 90's was 5 times better, and the comment on the camparison between the Kevlacat power and the Sharkcat power, had nothing to do with the weights of the two, BUT the KC is a much more easily driven Boat than the Sharkcat, I have also seen 18' Sharkcats with 55HP Johnsons on them, but does not make them good or cheap to run, they were dismal performers to say the least! so that's my bit on all this, we are all "Armchair" experts on all things at times, but some have done the things we speak about, some are just sideline gurus!

who exactly are the sideline gurus noelm?
I don't recon your the only coxswain on here!

finding_time
11-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Darren here's the photo's of the kc's i promised , Kittycat has the honds 75's with the larger volume pods and Mine (Shikaree) has the Yami 60's with the standard pods, i'm not sure about Kittycat but my boat had a full ice box 150kg+

Ian

Noelm
11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
we are all sideline gurus at times, not finger pointing at anyone in particular, but that does not mean I am right and someone else is wrong, thats what this and other Boards are all about, differing opinions and experiences, then you sort through it all and maybe get some relevant info to digest, any to and fro from individuals does not help the poster to gain anything tangible to help with a pretty expensive decision (as in this instance) also never said I was the olny coxswain around, I am sure there is heaps, as well as master v and so on, does not matter at all in this scenario, we where talking about correct HP for a given Boat, not anyones seamanship qualifications!

boatboy50
11-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks Ian,

I also got a close up pic of Kitty Cats pods. I hope Wayne doesn't mind me posting them.

For me, I think it puts too much weight on the transom. It would be interesting to compare the attitude of both boats underway.

Even more reason for me to sit and wait until the right engine is released, because at the moment the Yammie 60's are the only option for me, but still not perfect.

Regards

Darren

P.S. Good luck this weekend to you both.

boatboy50
11-03-2008, 07:09 PM
VS the same pic using the Honda 50's I currently have.

Dean1
12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Wouldnt be the same without a pic of my 2 smokes. Mine sits the highest i think, note john mopping it out he was so fussy with this boat. I took this pic the day i bought it down in melb.

boatboy50
12-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Dean,

Thanks for adding the pic. I am sure they will come in handy to someone in my shoes in the future.

Looks to be sitting around the same as mine sits, about 2" below the antifoul line in my pic.

My guess is your light on fuel after motoring out of the marina!!!! Lol.

Regards

Darren

northernblue
12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Nah, deano doesn't motor anywhere, he flies!