PDA

View Full Version : Whittley 7.3 Sea Legend

fish2relax
12-02-2008, 06:53 AM
good morning all,
i am currently (still) in the process of researching my next boat and have stmbled across the above.In out board config.
I was just wondering if i could have any imput from previous or current owners on the boats ability as a offshore rig.
I relaze that its abit of a comparmise however this is something that i am looking at as i wish to take the missus away for the weekend occasionally.
I have only been looking at it as of late yesterday but have already heard that it is a rocky boat due to the 23o deadrise and i am aware of the boats limited fuel capacity.(230l)
anything else anybody wishes to add?
I will have a look at the newer whittleys also to see what they have on offer.

The Whittleys im looking at are less than 2 years old and hard top.

Regards,
Ben

Fatenhappy
12-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Hey Ben ...

Until quite recently we owned a 660 from the same stable. Never had any problems with that even with it being more into the cruiser side of things. Like you I also needed something as a cross over to keep the cheese and kisses on side.

Traditionally in each state there is a Whittley owners club web site. Why not jump onto there and have a sniff around for owner contacts within the clubs. Generally I have always found the owners more than happy to give the good oil (thats good and bad) on any and all aspects of each style of boat.

Failing that just ring the Commodore of the Whittley club in your state and I am sure he will steer you in the right direction to get the feedback you need.

PS .... Of the members that I know of in Qld that have the 7.3 Legend, I have not heard any negative stuff about seaworthiness and the like!

Cheers
Greg

fish2relax
12-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks very much for that mate.
I will contact the club. At the moment i am just trying to find out when the model was changed over to the SL2600. As on boatpoint even the 07 models have the model name of 7.3 sea legend.

Does anybody in Ausfish land have this information?
Im about to call my local dealer and see if they have a boat laying around that i can have a look at.

Cheers,
Ben

PWCDad
12-02-2008, 08:16 AM
My brother purchased a Whittley just before X-mas and took delivery.

It has the new number system and the old 5.8, 6.6 etc from memory ... so may the cross over model just before the 2180 type numbers ...

It was a run-out 2007 model ....

Good luck in your search .... nice boats ....

PWCDad

Fatenhappy
12-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Also re the fuel thing,

We were running a 4.3ltr MPi (6 Cyl) Mercruiser with the Bravo 3 duo prop ... she was a bit thirsty, however those who were running the V8 Mercruisers seemed to be far better off ... high teens very low 20's @ 22 - 25 knts or there abouts.

Cheers
Greg