PDA

View Full Version : SE Qld - rain on the way

MyEscape
12-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Hello folks down south. In Mackay we've had some big rain overnight and the forecast is for the tropical low to continue down to SE Qld today.

Surely Wivenhoe must get some real flows into it this time. Well I hope so for you folks.

At Hay Point we had 192mm up to 5am this morning with most of it in the last 8 hours. This includes 26mm from 6am yesterday to 5pm so it was a good spell of rain last night

Regards

Steve

jtpython
12-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks Steve we are near Yeppoon and it's not far from hitting us so we won't be send kids to school today looking at the roads the way the are won't be long till they come over in about 10 places where we live
Thanks JT

gone_phishin
12-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Be able to fish off the front verandah JT!!

Hope you don't cop it too bad up there, but I don't think you're going to get out wide again for a few days....we're just sitting here waiting

Geoff

MyEscape
12-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Nah, won't be going wide now. Sold the Cruisecraft!!

Just waiting for delivery of my 4.35 Seajay for the creeks and dams. Lots of water in those dams now. Well, around here anyway.

Steve

marty+jojo
12-02-2008, 07:50 AM
The rain has arrived, i live at Redcliffe, north brisbane, it has rained here half the night and all morning.
Marty.

Vindicator
12-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Steve & JT,

I hope the weather improves in a hurry for you both (and me too). I've got a machine up there at the moment supposedly pruning mangos and lychees in yeppoon and sarina/mackay areas and I'm beginning to wonder when we're going to be able to get back to it.

Cheers
Kezza

jtpython
12-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Ah good stuff
Another day off work anyways lucky i'm on Salary not so lucky for a lot of people out there being effected by the rain for work .
The Rain Steve is talking about isn't far from here and if it doesn't stop soon i'll have to fence my yard with 12 foot high mesh so i can start my own crocodile farm shortly.
Already had a brown snake lastnight up our screen door must of been washed about during night, just before bed i was just brushing my teeth when the wife screamed me standing there naked trying to get this snake out from the security screen door, i had to put a towel on just in case brown snakes are cannibal's(little joke there)
But yes kids are home from school today as it won't take long till everything comes up quick again.
Kezza is your machine one of those offset loaders with the spinning blades?
JT

Vindicator
12-02-2008, 08:31 AM
JT,

Its one of those ones that are mounted on a tractor with an arm that comes over the top of the tractor to the front and has a three pointed star on it with a blade a blade at each end. Although we have a new one this year which has four blades on it. The whole star rotates and the blades spin about 3000rpm. You may have seen the three blade in the area in past years as we have been coming up there for about 8 years now.

Nothing doing here on the farm today either as the rain has arrived

Cheers
Kezza

jtpython
12-02-2008, 08:36 AM
OK you may have done some stuff for my father on KeppelSands road i'm guessing the three bladed one like you said
Small world mate
John

Local_Guy
12-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Rockhampton almost got cut off to Yeppoon yesterday at the creek near Mt Jim Crow, but the waters receeded. Yeppoon's flood water has all but dissapeared overnight, but that doesn't mean to say that if we get some heavier stuff it won't flood over the roads.

I guess yesterdays rain has flushed out all the debri from the creeks so water is flowing smoothly into the creeks here now. Just have to wait and see.

jtpython
12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Your right Jase but i see today there is alot of water just lapping under places out here , ao it won't take long i'd say.
I'm going for a cast about 2 pm when the wife gets home from work might bring all the bait around.
Jt

SeaHunt
12-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I hope we get a bit in the dams down here.
Apparently when they hit 40% I will be able to start washing my boat legally again, as opposed to whats been going on for the past year or so.

Local_Guy
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Well. it's now 11am at Yeppoon and all i can say is the rain has gone from gentle to heavy... At work we are thinking about closing up at 12noon depending on the rain as it is almost coming into our shop from the front door which is under cover by 5m from the road.
The wind has picked up also. Time will tell, but selling sunglasses in a torrential downpour just doesn't work for some strange reason :P.

rando
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
It seems like every east coast stream from the Cape York to Sydney is running a "banker"
We've just been to Iluka for the weekend and the Clarence, Evans ,Richmond Tweed and Nerang all looked to be running a "fresh"
I certainly know the Clarence is as I got a faceful testing my new toy,, 4.5 mt CC,and it was very fresh,and within sight of the mouth as well.
I wonder what all this millions of litres of fresh water will do to the fishing later as the wet clears????

BobbyJ123
12-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Seaforth, just north of Mackay, got 270mm of rain AND, the ducks didn't like it!!!
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=4873

Foxy4
12-02-2008, 12:18 PM
We have had 40mm here at Kallangur since early this morning and it is not looking like it will ease until tomorrow sometime. Shame it is not inland a few more Klms though.

TonyM
12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
We copped 89mm last night and are probably in for a wild night by the looks of it. There's been some localised flooding in low lying areas and the main road to Hervey Bay is supposed to be shut down...

Severe weather warningAustralian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Damaging Winds, Flash Flooding, and Large Waves
For people in the following forecast districts:
Central Highlands and Coalfields;
Central Coast and Whitsundays;
Capricornia;
Wide Bay and Burnett;
Southeast Coast.

Issued at 10:20 am on Tuesday 12 February 2008

Synoptic situation: At 10am the monsoon trough lay across northern Queensland
with a 999 hPa low located around 50km west of St Lawrence. The low is moving
southeast and is expected to be located on the Sunshine Coast late tonight.

The low is expected to remain an intense system as it moves rapidly towards the
southeast. Very heavy rainfall is likely, both along the coast east of the low
and extending inland to its south. The heaviest falls of rain have cleared the
Central Coast area and will generally be confined to the south of St Lawrence
today.
Locally damaging wind gusts up to 90 km/h are also expected east of the low
reaching 110 km/h in coastal areas exposed to the north including Hervey Bay.
Southeasterly wind gusts to 90 km/h are expected to develop over the Southeast
Coast district tonight.

The northerly winds will bring large waves into Hervey Bay and other areas of
the coastline exposed to the north. Tides will be higher than normal.

Winds will gradually ease from the north in the Central Coast and Whitsundays
district during the day.
The State Emergency Service advises that people in the affected area should:

- seek shelter, indoors where possible, and never under trees.
- secure outdoor items.
- beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
- if near the coastline, stay well away from the water's edge.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5 pm EST Tuesday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au (http://www.bom.gov.au/) or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and State Emergency
Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

Local_Guy
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know how much rain we got in yeppoon, but it sure closed off a few roads.
by few i mean no less than 5 main roads coming in and out of the town.

insideout
12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
rain poured down last night, cutting roads here in hervey bay and has just started to wind up again with heavy showers and strong winds, which blows my outdoor furniture all over the front veranda. Living on the esplanade, i know when the wind is 35 knts + because i watch the front sliding glass door flex in and out a inch at a time.Must admit, its been a while since i have seen horizontal rain.....

jtpython
12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Got up to 53 knots here at rundle Island today and we have mangaed 7 inches + today so now it can go away for a while would be good thanks.
JT

TonyM
12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
It's supposed get up to 50 knots here tonight too - Inside out I hope you got some tape on the window! :D It's just starting to build up now, I hope there's no major damage.

Apparently there expecting up to another 100mm of rain so I'm glad I'm not at eli-underwaters! :-X

We're up the top of the hill so my wind indicator for 50 knots used to be when the pool heater blows off the roof ;D The new heater is battened down so I guess I'll have to just trust the bom guys now :)

chewy01
12-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Just re-emptied my rain gauge since 3 30 approx 75mm in maryborough. local flooding. cant even get to the pub to get xxxx.

Local_Guy
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
news tonight said upto 30local road were cut. and we had 114mm of rain between 9am and 12noon.

SES were doing their bit. good on them :D

JT, did you end up going fishing this ave. couldn't understand your sms that you sent me :D

jtpython
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah sorry mate . Had to go to One of our jobs the road had been washed out and had to put signs up for it, Was absolutly pouring down and said if the floods were up again i would have to have a sleep over at your place. But i didn't get a chance to go castnetting. And we are working tomorrow wether or not it's raining. But i'll pack the net for the afternoon and will get back to you if i end up there.
JT

disorderly
12-02-2008, 08:01 PM
It's supposed get up to 50 knots here tonight too - I hope there's no major damage.

Hope that breeze doesn't blow your skirt up to high ,mate.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
A couple of pics below show what happened at my joint when a nasty wind called Cyclone Larry came through almost 2 years ago.
The closest surviving windspeed indicator 10km to the north registered winds of 170 knots(316 km/h).....

I didn't include a self portrait of what a person looks like when they are looking at a quarter mill plus in damages and realizing that perhaps insurance probably wouldn't have been such a bad idea after all.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/embarassed.gif

Seriously though I hope there is not too much damage from flooding and winds down the coast.It's never a nice thing to see your property sustaining damage.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

Scott

TonyM
12-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Scott,

You're right it's not exactly cyclone material :D didn't get the skirt too high but helped cool things down a bit ;)

Ouch, I've experienced a few cyclones firsthand although knock on wood have never copped that kind of damage. That must have been a shocker for you, I hope you've recovered from the impact that must have made!

Cheers
Tony