PDA

View Full Version : Seascape V Formosa

Saltboy
11-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi

Anybody have any views on which is better, Seascape 5.7 cuddy or Formosa 580 centre cab ?

Dave

levinge
11-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Saltboy, your talking about 2 totally different rigs, I guess it depends of what you are going to use it for. For me I am currently positioning myself to order a Formosa, not sure on size but I will probably go for the 5.8m. For me I prefer to be able to utilise a boat to fish 360 degrees without having boat structure in the way of my rod. I dare say the Seascape Cuddy would be more in the line of comfort over practicality (probably going to cop it from Seascape owners), but as I stated 2 different rigs and 2 different styles of use.

Best of Luck, but its a beautiful dilemma to be in!!!

Saltboy
12-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Yes I agree. I should have been more specific and mentioned quality of build, ride, options etc of the 2 makes. Formosa seem to have a really good setup/package/price thing going, although I've never riden in one.

LINZ_74
12-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Hey Saltboy,
I have the Formosa 5.5 centre console and the ride i get is excellent, so i imagine the 5.8 would be just as good if not better with the added length and weight.
I really wanted the centre cab myself but couldn't have unless i upgraded my car as well, the missus wasn't thrilled in me buying a new boat in the first place but has since been out with me and loves it. Pretty hard convincing your partner that a c\c is a dry riding boat but got away with it.
When i saw a 5.8 c\cab at the dealer i bought mine from it looked a great boat but just a little tight to walk around the cab, fine to get to the anchor but might be a bit of a mission when fighting a big fish.

Might be a good idea to see the boat for yourself if you can, but judging from the handling and quality of my boat the Formosa is a pretty good thing.

cheers
Lindsay

preso
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Saltboy, I tested Formosa on water. Nice boat. Ended up buying 5.32m seascape. Bought it off a bloke that has sold both and just a couple of things to think about. Seascape has a lot finner bow with strakes.Might not worry you depending on where you fish.
Cheers John.

Captain mick owens
12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Saltboy
Dont beleive either boat are any good, I personally spent 45k on 550 formosa centre console and was far from impressed in rough water out wide.
Went back to the golden oldie seafarer viking and never looked back.
Sea scape are ok,just a cheaper version of your Tabs.
Good luck in your adventures anyway.

notsa
13-02-2008, 03:36 PM
To pay 45k for a 5.5 c/c you must have had a heep of extras on it :-/

tin can marlin
13-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Mate i have looked at boath rigs and i would go for the sea scape it seems to have the tabs finsh on it which is right up there with the best of them. And also they seem to have sharper entry then the formosa which should lead to a better ride. Haveing said all of this i got a oz craft centre cab which iam still waiting on. Regards clint

davo
13-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Seacsape because it has a better hull shape with welded stringers and bulk heads. Basically stronger and better shape.

timddo
13-02-2008, 09:31 PM
b4 i brought my bought, i actually looked at formosa Centre Cab 5.5. Great boat, except it was pressed. The bottom sheets have v pressings near the back ( just like allycraft boats. They actually used 5251 (i think) grade aluminium compared to 5083.

Formosa are built differently then normal plate boats. They use c Channels instead of stringers welded to the floor. This is just different.

Another thing was the anchor well box looked cheap. It was connected via a hose instead of a direct weld to the hull.

If your on a budget. it's better then pressed boats

levinge
14-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Having a look at the comparison between the two, there are some striking differences. For example,

The Formosa comes standard with Hydraulic Steering, while the seascape has it as an option (more Cost).

The Fuel tank in the Formosa starts at 150ltr while seascape standard is 125ltrs (would prefer to have the extra 25ltrs)

Bimini is standard on Formosa, not on Seascape
Targa bar, rocket launchers etc are standard on Fomosa and don't exist on Seascape.

POB is 7 for Formosa and 6 for Seascape

Warranty Formosa 3yr Structural
Seascape 2yr Structural

So in weighing up the options, value for money the Formosa seems to come out in front of the Seascape. Also the fact that Seascape do not make a Centre Cab is a big factor on the choice I will be making in the near future.

Two Bits

Noelm
14-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I guess these X Vers Y things will go on forever, does not matter whether it be Motors, Boats, cars anything, best option is to make a concise list of what you really want the Boat for like say fishing first, family second, skiing and so on and how long are you going to be in the boat, overnight? camping, be truthfull and careful, then look for yourself for a Boat that fits your use, it does not matter who you ask, whatever I have got is the best, that's why I have it!!! there will be very few bad "name" Boats/Motors whatever made, anyone shonky will be long gone, even some good builders/dealers are going belly up!

levinge
14-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Tooooo True Noelm, Even the best businesses go through bad times and I guess it just goes to show that when it comes to buying anything, you just have to do your research and make the best possible decision, I guess thats why we have forums like this one so that fisho's can give constructive comment on the pros and cons of the subject. I would have loved to this type of information when I bought my first boat. Certainly would have given me alot more info than I had to start with. But one thing for sure is, it pays to know how to maintain your boat as well I guess, but that only comes into being when the warranty runs out..

KAGEY1
15-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Saltboy. Probably best to listen to the advice of those who own the rigs, not those that are offering opinions based on assumptions. i drove the seascape and the formosa in 532 and 550 lengths respectively. the s/scape was rough in anything over 1/2 m of chop. the formosa is superior. the s/scape is a wet boat.it might have finer entry, but you wear the spray. the wider flare on the formosa, keeps you drier.
higher sides on the formosa, are also better when fighting fish around the boat.
Good luck with ya choice. if you want more details about my experience, send me a pm. Happy to help.
cheers, Geoff

LINZ_74
15-02-2008, 01:08 PM
When i purchased my formosa i expected it to be a little wetter riding boat than the quintrex boat that i had, but in actual fact the formosa is actually better IMO.
Not trying to get away from your original question Dave, just offering an opinion in my own experiences of different shape in hulls.

Lindsay

tin can marlin
15-02-2008, 07:51 PM
There is some good advice coming in on this forum. What ever your choice is make sure you make the dealer earns your business and get the best service and deal that suits your needs.