PDA

View Full Version : Tinny or Polycraft

chief 1
11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I was wondering if tinnies are better than a polycraft or fibreglass boats

TonyM
11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
They are all good - it totally depends on what your use for the boat will be as to which would be best suited ;)

chief 1
11-02-2008, 03:28 PM
going up creeks

chewy01
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Gday Cheif,
i think its a bit of horses for courses question. Iv had a 4.55 poly since 2002 and a couple tinnys before that and have good and bad things to say about both.In saying that i wouldn't go bback to a tinny now. I'll put up with the extra weight.I find(and this is just my humble opinion)the poly to be a lot quieter in the water which i find handy for sneaking into the shallows for whiting and barra and they are pretty tough.My mate(whose navigational skills leave i bit to be desired)ran up a rock bar doing 25kts in his poly and while it put some fair gouges in the bottom it didnt puncture the hull.looking at the rock bar its lucky it wasnt his old tinny.Yes they scratch a bit they are heavy and you do cop plenty from the tinny brigade:D :D but i wouldnt swap mine. THey also flex in the chop which iv found helps with my sore back. hope this has made sense and helps.
cheers chewy:D

wags on the water
11-02-2008, 03:38 PM
They are all good - it totally depends on what your use for the boat will be as to which would be best suited ;)

Each type of boat has it's good points which makes them better than the other.

Tinny - light , smaller motors needed to run, lighter to tow.
Glass - Heavier Smoother ride
Plastic - no rust/corrosion

Cheers,

Wags

chief 1
11-02-2008, 03:39 PM
thanks alot TonyM and Chewy01

chief 1
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Wags On The Water

TonyM
11-02-2008, 03:52 PM
No worries Chief,

If you're mainly heading up creeks that would narrow the choice down to the Tinny and the Poly

If you might want to load the boat on to roof racks or on top of a camper, then the tinnies the best choice for sure as the polly is too heavy, if not being used on roof racks etc a 4.1 Poly is a stealth machine and brilliant in creeks/estuaries.

If you're a real explorer and end up dragging the boat over rock bars and sand bars a lot then once again I'd go a tinny as the poly weighs quite a bit more

Every boat is a compromise, however if you look at what you intend to use it for most when you're buying you'll end up much happier!

Cheers
Tony

Pirate_Pete_Tas
11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi Chief

Have a look on http://www.polyboatowners.com/ if you want to hear & see how other poly owners have set their 4.1s up.

wags on the water
11-02-2008, 06:24 PM
No worries chief. As Tony has said, find out where you want to fish, what type of fishing as choose your craft from this info.

Cheers,

Wags

NAGG
11-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Chief

Have a look on http://www.polyboatowners.com/ if you want to hear & see how other poly owners have set their 4.1s up.

No no dont do it ... they will corrupt your mind ! ....... Its like asking the Jehovah Witness for religious advice ;) ;D ;D ;D
Nagg

finding_time
11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
If i was given the choice of riding across the bay in either a tinnie ( pressed ) or poly , i'll jump in the poly every single time! once you get used to the whole boat flexing the ride is very good! Also as previously mentioned the quietness of the hull in the water HAS to help your catch rates!

Ian

MattChew
11-02-2008, 07:56 PM
You either love em or you don't. See if you can get a ride in one and make your own mind up. I purchased my 4.1 without even going for a ride and am more than happy with my choice as a first boat. If you intend throwing lures in rivers and only go out in the bay when conditions suit then a poly is a good investment. The hulls are quiet but heavy so go the max HP with every one of them. A good plus point is that the floor is flat as standard & has 2 90l storage bins under the front casting deck which is also there as standard. They are not the quickest boats but make up for it with stability, and when i get home the only thing that I make sure of is flushing the motor and washing the trailer down. They are not for everyone and nothing really sticks too well to them. Any scratches you do put on them can be easily removed with a heat gun, so coming into the boat ramp is pretty easy:D
Happy hunting.

Matt

chief 1
11-02-2008, 08:50 PM
thanks finding_time and matt

Scott Ashe
12-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Hi mate,

If I were you, I would go the tinny, especially for creek working, given that they are lighter, require less horsepower to push them, and I wouldn't be as worried about scratching an alloy boat. Having said that though, and having never travelled in a Polycraft , I'm sure they probably provide a softer more comfortable ride, without all that banging.

If you were to go the alloy , I'd buy unpainted, as they look crap painted and scratched. I bought my 2nd Allycraft last year and love it.

But, I guess we all have to make sacrifices in life .

Cheers
Scott

chief 1
13-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks Scott