PDA

View Full Version : Using 2-stroke pre-mix in Garden tools?

BaitThrower
11-02-2008, 12:00 AM
I see here and there a few people saying they use leftover 50:1 (or whatever ratio) pre-mix outboard fuel in their 2-stroke garden power tools (hedge trimmer, chainsaw etc).

Since I often have a few litres of pre-mix left in the tank after each trip, I could put this to use in the garden tools. Any known issues with doing this? Is 2-stroke marine-grade oil any "different" to regular 2-stroke pre-mix oil? I.e. will it make a difference used int he garden tools? Don't want to wreck my good Stihl chainsaw or trimmer etc :)

Roughasguts
11-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Don't do it.

Your out board is water cooled so the motor won't get as hot as your air cooled stihl. So yep the oils burn at differant temps.

Or should I say lubricate at differant temps.

charleville
11-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Don't do it.

Your out board is water cooled so the motor won't get as hot as your air cooled stihl. So yep the oils burn at differant temps.

Or should I say lubricate at differant temps.

I have no expertise in the matter but that sounds like plausible advice. If you threw in some normal 2 stroke oil as used for garden tools, perhaps that might fix the problem.

I have gotten lazy over the years and now use the same two stroke mix that I use in the whipper snipper, chainsaw, hedge trimmer etc in the old Rover Briggs & Stratton four stroke and it has never complained. Perhaps a richer oil mix in a two stroke might do no harm also. The worst thing that could happen I guess is that your plug might oil up or the exhaust might smoke a bit but that is an inconvenience not permanent damage.

Mac_Attack
11-02-2008, 06:50 AM
The 2 different types of oil I use are Quicksilver premium plus 2-cycle oil an Quicksilver multi purpose the premium burns finer and reduce's carbon but is marine grade and the multi purpose can be used in all 2 stroke engines.
Cheers Nick 8-)

dnej
11-02-2008, 07:34 AM
I spoke to Shell on this subject,and was told not to use outboard oil,in air cooled motors.
David