PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Outboard

the baker
10-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Dose anyone have a 2007-08 40hp 2 stroke & 4 stroke, reason why i ask is i am looking at buying one myself any feedback about them would be great

Thanks Dave.

MyEscape
11-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Well I've got one on order if yuo want support!! Mine will be the 2 stroke, tiller steer, electric start and trim and tilt. Comes wit the tiller with all the controls on the tiller.

Steve

TimD
11-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I have a 2008 2 stroke 40 hp yamaha with oil injection,electric start and trim and tilt,I was going to get a tohatsu but backed out at the last minute and went with the yamaha,I love the key start on the tiller arm and the trim and tilt button is located right near the throttle where my thumb rests.Great motor in my opinion and i am glad i backed out on the tohatsu even though it meant i lost my $350 deposit i had on the tohatsu.

cheers tim :)

the baker
11-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks Steve & Tim! For the feedback what ever I get it is going on the back of a 4.2m dory I reckon it will get along alright how do you find the fuel consumption

Dave.

Bundy Boy
11-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I have a 40hp 4Stroke. Love it

Bundy Boy
11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
I have an 2008 tiller 40hp 4st with power tilt and electric start. I couldn't be happier with it. It pushes along my 4.35 territory to a top speed of 52kmh. It is far quicker out of the hole than I had anticipated. I don't know exact fuel consumption figures but I believe that it is quite efficient. I selected the 4st over the 2st because of its better fuel consumption, lower noise and it is a bit easier on the wife's nose. A few of the dams in my area are also stipulating that low tech 2st will not be permitted. I would recommend a yamaha 40 4st to anyone looking in this Hp range.

Good luck with your selection.

Bundy Boy

the baker
11-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Bundy how much is the 40 worth

the baker
11-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks Bundy how much is the 40 worth.

Dave

3rd degree
11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
baker,

picked up a 2007 50hp 2st tiller, with the t&t.

Excellent engine, fuel consumption is good if your not hammering it, which is the same as all others.

Got mine on the back of a 4.6 Dory and clocked 60km on the GPS!

Cheers

Jim

Bundy Boy
12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Pm sent
Bundy

the baker
12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Well I've got one on order if yuo want support!! Mine will be the 2 stroke, tiller steer, electric start and trim and tilt. Comes wit the tiller with all the controls on the tiller.

Steve

Hey Steve when do you look like getting it when you do and you give it a test run let me know how it go's

Thanks Dave

Dan5
12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Mate we had 40 4strk and 50 4strk yammie's on our guide boat's i clocked up nearly 2000 hrs on both engine's with little hassle,the main thing was keep an eye on the gearbox seal's and change oil regulary and keep an eye on trim/tilt/ram for rust and corrosion.The boat's we had these engine's on were 455 stessco's and 4.5 quinny fish seeker's (same as topender) the 40 would do 25kts with 3 adult's and gear and we would use on average 20ltrs per day barra fishing.Good engine's but also have a look at the suzi 50 they are very good also and in 40hp they are efi where the yammie is not yet.Dan.

MyEscape
13-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Dave,

I'll be getting it around the middle of March. I could have it now, but the boat is still on order! The boat I'm getting is a Seajay4.35 Escape. Hull weight is around 281kg's

I'm really looking forward to it particularly with the trim/tilt button near the throttle, and key start.

But crikey the wait is killing me!

Steve

Gary Fooks
13-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi

you can look at Sea Trailer Boats for the outboard database - models $rrp kg and emissions. see; seamedia.com.au (http://www.seamedia.com.au) - its a free E- magazine put out by the F&B magazine people

or send me an email and I'll send you a copy for 40hp

regards

Gary
g.fooks@uq.net.au

STUIE63
13-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Steve@ haypoint is the t&t button still on the tiller handle behind the throttle if so I found it uncomfortable to use and added a remote switch to the gunnel just under where my thumb would sit was a lot better.
Stuie

Dan5
13-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Steve@ haypoint is the t&t button still on the tiller handle behind the throttle if so I found it uncomfortable to use and added a remote switch to the gunnel just under where my thumb would sit was a lot better.
Stuie
Yeah mate they have changed it and put it right at the end of the throttle grip,right next to your thumb.I recently bought the 60hp tiller and it is a much better tiller setup than the older one's.Dan............

Haphazard1
13-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I haver a 40 Yamaha 4stroke on a Quintrex 435 hornet. It does 27 knots flat out. Really gets on the plan easily and I am happy will every aspect of the outboard. One thing I would like to do is to get more top speed. I am thinking of changing the Propellor. Anyone got any ideas / recommendations on this. - aluminium vs staninless, different brand ect. It has a 11 3/8" X 12" on it as standard.

cheers,

:-/

MyEscape
14-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Gary,

I see you're on to us with emissions:-/ .

You'll need to give me a break here. I cannot afford a 4 stroke on this package, but I promise to use the Minn Kota regularly on it to keep the emissions down;D So rather than trolling with a 2 stroke I'll be trolling with the electric.

Hey, can't be fairer than that!

Regards

Steve

Flex
14-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I own a 2007 2 stroke 50hp Yamaha. If your boat can handle it maybe grab yourself a 50hp over a 40.

In the 2 stroke models they are an identical block and nearly identical weight, the 50hp simply has a slightly different carby/exhaust. im not sure about the 4 strokes. I paid $4650 for my 2 stroke and the 40hp was around $4200 at the time.

For an extra $400 I got a 50hp over a 40hp. Which means your not pushing the 50hp as hard, and fuel efficiency is the same if your run at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. but you have the extra power if you need/want it or carry a bit of weight in your boat.

I got the basic model with the gas strut to tilt the engine. The only down side to this is the strut is on the opposite side of the engine where you drive from which can be a pain.

Yamaha always make a good engine as do most manufacturers. if you can afford it grab the electric trim/tilt.. worth it

STUIE63
14-02-2008, 10:32 AM
no worries Dan5 looks like somebody was smart at yamaha
Stuie

the baker
14-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I own a 2007 2 stroke 50hp Yamaha. If your boat can handle it maybe grab yourself a 50hp over a 40.

In the 2 stroke models they are an identical block and nearly identical weight, the 50hp simply has a slightly different carby/exhaust. im not sure about the 4 strokes. I paid $4650 for my 2 stroke and the 40hp was around $4200 at the time.

For an extra $400 I got a 50hp over a 40hp. Which means your not pushing the 50hp as hard, and fuel efficiency is the same if your run at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. but you have the extra power if you need/want it or carry a bit of weight in your boat.

I got the basic model with the gas strut to tilt the engine. The only down side to this is the strut is on the opposite side of the engine where you drive from which can be a pain.

Yamaha always make a good engine as do most manufacturers. if you can afford it grab the electric trim/tilt.. worth it

Thanks Flex
I didn't know that about the weight of the outboards A 50HP on a 4.2m boat that the hull only weighs 160kg mate that will fly I am getting some welding done so I might get a few extra bars on the transom to reinforce it should do the trick I think the hull takes 110kg motor weight anyway

Flex
15-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Just check that you can legally put a 50hp on. You dont wanna be left high and dry if you go outside the manufacturers horse power ratings.

the baker
15-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah I went and had a look max is 40 hp bummer

Dave.

bootyou
23-02-2008, 01:08 AM
if your serious about a four stroke the yamaha 50 & 60 are identical to the mercury 50 & 60 both are made by yamaha and you can save 3000.00 on the price of a new one by buying a mercury instead of a yamaha I ended up with a johnson that has a suzuki engine and the four stroke are fantastic you can pay them off with the money you save on fuel if you use your boat every day.

bootyou
23-02-2008, 01:18 AM
you may have to go to a different pitch or get a larger motor as the larger the motor the props change sizes and have better range for speed get some brochures from a retailer of boat engines to learn what is available for different engines and remember if you have warrantee you must stay with the prop supplied with the engine or you may lose your warrantee if you go outside the range. the main difference between alumiun and stainless steel is the stainless last forever the alumium bends easily but remember that with stainless you may bend your propellor shaft if you hit a rock and you may only bend the propellor with the alumium. I have tested this theory.