PDA

View Full Version : How to top up oil in tilt and trim?

fender22
10-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi guys, had a post yesterday about my trim / tilt fading and I found the filler hole and cap but there doesn't seem to be any level or dipstick etc to know where to fill it to? The only instruction on the filler is to make sure the tilt is fully extended (up) before filling,
Do you just top it right up? Someone said to use transmission oil which is normally red right? I'm pretty sure the oil in there now is clear?

On the subject, as I understand it there are three rams, 2 for the trim and one main one to tilt right up. When I tillt the motor right up, after about an hour or so it will slowly fade back down. THis I'm hoping is just because the fluid is low.
As far as the tilt goes, as long as it tilts up and down to launch and retreive the boat I'm happy. I'm more concerned the trim works well so when underway and I set my trim it stays there. Obviously if the hydraulics in the trim were weak as soon as you took off the force of the motor would push the leg back in towards the transom all the way back in and it would be ploughing.

I beleive these things are expensive to repair, even to get seals done. My question is, hypothetically if there was a bit of a leak in the main tilt ram seal or something wrong with the tilt and I kept the oil level up, does that automatically mean there will be a problem or loss of pressure in the trim or do they work independantly of each other?

There is no evidence of any oil or fluid around the seals or on the ground. About 3 months ago though I did find a small ammount of fluid on the ground and couldn't work out where it came from. Is it possible I could have done something that caused the seal to leak a bit of oil that particular day and now it may be ok with a top up or once oil comes out the seal is blown. My mechanic told me sometimes you can get a grain of sand or much on the shaft which will temporarillly cause a leak and then sometimes they'll come right?

VaSyd1
11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I topped up my tilt and trim unit on my Yamaha 115 recently. The instructions were as follows:

1. Tilt motor to it's fully up position.
2. Remove filler plug and top up fluid until it reaches the bottom edge of the filler plug.
3. Use fluid as reccomended by the outboard manufacturer. I used Yamaha Performance Power Trim and Tilt fluid. The fluid is clear with a blue tinge.
4. After filling install filler plug and tilt the motor up and down a few times.

This worked for me. It now tilts and trims like new.

To get the fluid to go in I attached a 6 mm clear tube to a small funnell.

Cheers

Vince.

station-rat
12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Fill it with oil up to the plug hole, replace the plug and work it up and down a few times, then check the oil level again. If the oil level was low you proberly have aerated the oil that was left and that could cause a slow leak down