PDA

View Full Version : Help with Prop reassembly required

fender22
10-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi, I just replaced my old ally prop with a stainless one on my 87 Mariner (merc) 135 and just wanted to make sure I did everything right!

It looks like there are 5 main components to go on in the order below starting from the back, or the leg end...

1) Some sort of stepped spacer disc / washer thing about 1/4" thick
sits behind the prop (hole is tapered one end to meet the shaft taper)

2) The prop

3) The front disc with the teeth in it to lock onto the shaft spline, which also has
teeth at the front for the nut lock washer

4) The lock washer

5) the nut

Not sure if I'm doing it right, but after I put the back spacer and the prop on, there only seemed to be a poofteenth of spline (maybe 1/32") sticking out of the prop and the teeth on the lock disc should lock onto the spline (where the lock washer and nut sit on and lock onto) seemed to be able to spin freely without locking onto the spline. Just pushing it on there didn't seem enough spline exposed for the lock disc teeth to grab the spline? I tightended the nut up very tightly and it did seem to push it all back just enough to push the lock disc onto the spine (I hope!). I was wondering if maybe the brass lock disc has it's teeth worn off a bit at the face where it first meets the spline? Is it normal for this disc not to grab the spline until tightend. Would hate to have that heavy prop come loose with 135 horses behind it!

Sorry for all the "laymans terms" and hope everyone understands what I mean!
I've never replaced a prop before. Am I doing the right thing here? Are there any fundamentals I'm missing?

FNQCairns
10-02-2008, 08:49 AM
The lock washer certainly shouldn't spin, can you slide the prop forward back? What engine and what prop/s are you fitting? If you have one to a different brand often there can be a new and different forard spacer needed, also some have a rearward washer behind the splined one that the lockwasher sits hard up against when tight.

cheers fnq

fender22
10-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Its a merc 135 (87) and replacing I'm replacing a genuine merc ally prop with a genuine quicksilver SS prop so should all be ok? Maybe the rear spacer washer (first thing that goes on the shaft) needs a thinner size?
It's a bit of a fine line because if the spacer behind isn't thick enough, there is too much thread and the nut done fully up doesn't push the prop back all the way and the prop can slide forward and back on the shaft. I did notice the teeth for the spline on the lock washer are a bit worn on the face? How much spline should be exposed past the face of the prop once the rear spacer washer and prop are on?

As it is now, by tightening the nut right up I'm pretty sure it pushed it back just enough to bite onto the shaft spline. There is no forward and back movement of the prop sliding on the shaft but I notice there is some movement in and out of the shaft into the leg, only a fraction maybe a 1/16 - 1/8". Is this normal?

Dan5
10-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Mate it sound's like the new prop has a longer hub than the old one,can you measure both ?Maybe you need a different spacer,i've alway's only hand tightened prop nut's that seem's to be the go i would'nt tighten up hard with a spanner that does'nt seem right to me the prop should still have a small amount of movement well that's the way i was taught by a mechanic.Maybe BM or Spaniard can set you straight.Dan......