PDA

View Full Version : Boating and Learning Things The Hard Way

Poodroo
09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
G'day, I just thought I would share one of those things that can and does happen in the world of boating and perhaps people on here can share other similar experiences so that others may learn from them rather than find out the hard way that what was done was not the right thing to do.
My example starts with my new boat and whilst it was not a major issue in the end it did have me thinking and quite worried when I was out on the water today. What happened after a considerable amount of motoring is after slowing down to set up a drift one of my kids commented on a substantial amount of oil sitting in the back of the boat. My first thought was that a small bottle of outboard oil must have either broken or simply leaked but after locating the bottle it was bone dry and intact. "Uhoh" I thought.. has to be coming from the new 40 hp Mercury. Indeed it was. Pulled the cover off and could see a lot of oil but didn't exactly know why or where it was coming from. The motor had been running sweet all day so I knew it could not have been any real serious problem apart from perhaps a leak from the main reservoir for the oil injection. I continued to check the levels throughout the day but things were quite normal. Once home and cleaning all the excess oil off I realized what it was that I did differently to other times. First of all the oil reservoir was full when I left home as I had topped it up. The second thing that I did was I normally rest the leg of the motor on one of those detachable trailer mounts but on this occasion did away with it and had the motor tilted up and then resting on the rams. So this is where I went wrong. The filler cap on the reservoir has a breather and with the engine tilted up that high enables the oil to pour out of the filler cap. I feel like an idiot but I have "learned the hard way" and won't do that again. So my job is done. I have shared my blunder and hopefully anyone else who invests in a new boat or upgrades to a more modern oil injected 2 stroke you may be able to refer back to this thread before doing what I did. Hopefully this thread will end up full of peoples' similar mishaps so we can all read and learn from them.

Regards,

Poodroo

BaitThrower
09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Good advice...

Today I learned that I should have bought the "Depth Sounder Secrets" book a long time ago. Grabbed it today for $15 and because its only 50-odd pages long, I have already finished reading it. Some excellent tips in there about maximising the effectiveness of your depth sounder and learning to read its output. No doubt I'll be able to spot many more fish from now on. With some of my sounder settings on Auto, I wasn't getting half the picture I should have. Worth grabbing for a read!

Wahoo
09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
good to see you picked up on the little mishap, im pretty sure your not the first and wont be the last for this to happen,

how is the new boat going?

Daz

black runner
10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
In a hurry to get the boat back in the driveway - (would always normally have the motor tilted but had parked it on the street a bit close to the driveway so put the motor down so it wouldn't get hit if someone drove in). Got side tracked talking to the neighbor, jumped in the car and reversed back - everything stopped and I felt sick.

Put a groove in the ashpalt foot path and got stopped by the concrete driveway. Nice bend in the skeg.

I straightened it gently by using some big G clamps and various configurations of wood blocks.

The local dealer said the skeg is there to protect the rest of the motor and they repair this type of thing all the time.

Fred

Splash
10-02-2008, 12:46 PM
i purchased a boat.......

Lovey80
10-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Whilst dam fishing I had my GPS zoomed out several times to get a bigger picture of where I had been. An hour later I decided to head up a different arm of sommerset dam and didn't zoom back in. As this was my first trip to the dam the previous days routes were the only ones that i knew were safe. With the GPS zoomed out i thought that I was travelling on a previous route that was about 8m deep. Whilst travelling at 21 knots my skeg hit a submerged stump resulting in a violent impact and my motor jumping up like a standard tiller steer ( I have hydraulic trim and tilt) and bending my steering arm requiring a complete new steering cable. Upon stopping I zoomed back in to learn I was actually 20-30m to the east of my previous route.

Point to note that in unfamilliar territory navigation "aids" are only as accurate as you let them be.

Cheers Chris

STUIE63
12-02-2008, 09:20 AM
I saw a boat getting the skeg welded up and the story went- he had travelled from Moranbah to Sarina with the bait board inside the boat every bump he hit the baitboard depressed the trim down button a bit further when he got to Sarina he was missing 3 inches from his skeg and needed a new prop as the old one was the worst I had ever seen . moral of the story is always turn the isolator off .
Stuie

Jackinthebox
12-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Always tie your windup jockey wheel handle up onto the drawbar(or at least lift it up & rest it there), don't let it hang down or you will bust it off if your driveway has any slope in it!

Trim or tilt your engine up before launching off the trailer as the skeg can hit the ramp & cop the whole weight of the boat as you are trying to push it off the trailer if the water is shallow.

If towing on any gravelly/unsealed roads, cover the forward section of your hull or you will get lots of little chips in the sidesheet paintwork from all the rocks being thrown up by the tow vehicle.

I have learnt all of these the hard way in the past.:-[

Cheers,
Mick

LINZ_74
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Once i went fishing and forgot to grab my zoning maps for my greenzone fishing areas anyway decided to drift fish for a while when in the horizon i see the water police come my way and eventually pull up along side me.
I new i was close to the no go zone but not as close as i thought i actually was. Expecting to be about 100m away the police told me i was lucky to be 10m out of the zone so when they said i just avoided a $2000 fine i have made sure never to take zoning maps out of the boat again. Could have been a very expensive lesson to learn.

Lindsay

dunmears
12-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Went down to the servo. to fill up the boat on my way out fishing, undid the fuel cap on the side of the boat , absolute glamour walks past in mini skirt, inserts nozzle of fuel hose into rod holder right beside fuel filler and pumped 20 litres of fuel onto the floor of my boat.

Dirtysanchez
13-02-2008, 10:53 AM
I towed my old boat about 80ks once to meet a mate for a fish, and left the jockey wheel in place (was one of those removable ones, not the swing up type)
Anyway, when I pulled up and said Gidday to my mate we both said we could smell burning rubber, and thought we must have just missed some hoons doing a burnout.. ::)
Went to get the boat ready and noticed my jockey wheel was just a metal axle.. the rubber wheel had slowly wound down due to vibration, then worn itself down to nothing along the highway !! :o

How embarresment :-[

PADDLES
13-02-2008, 11:01 AM
if you have a swing up style of jockey wheel, swing it up so the wheel is pointing towards the direction of travel. the jockey wheel handle hanging down will catch the ground way too easily if they face forwards instead

Braddles
13-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I was once offered by a mate to be taken out in his new 5.0 centre console boat. It was brand new! Fully optioned... He had saved up and rewarded himself for it! As a good deed gesture, I insisted on filling it with fuel. In my excitement. I removed the cap off the "filler pipe" and began pumping fuel. (OK the gunwale was at eye height with boat on trailer, so couldnt reallllly see what I was doing)..

After chatting and excited leg shaking, I began thinking the smell of fuel was very strong... and I could hear "water" trickling too (but not putting two and two together).

By the time I realised, I had pumped 25L of fuel into a capped fishing rod holder, which then covered our rods in the holders underneath, and everything in a side console storage bin, including more spools of mono line. Then it had run all over the carpet. Melted the glue instantly and the carpet was bubbling up from the floor before my eyes. The bildge had kicked in, and started pumping fuel out the side of the boat!!

It was a very awkard moment...... thinking Holy F88K what will I tell him as I could see him coming back toward the boat from the store. I am always happy to contribute to fuel bills, but never ever will I physically fuel someone's boat again!.

Splash
13-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Went down to the servo. to fill up the boat on my way out fishing, undid the fuel cap on the side of the boat , absolute glamour walks past in mini skirt, inserts nozzle of fuel hose into rod holder right beside fuel filler and pumped 20 litres of fuel onto the floor of my boat.

Dumears - u sure it was petrol you were pumping onto floor?8-)

grumpysmurf
13-02-2008, 06:46 PM
In anticipation of great weekend weather, I went out to start the trailer boat on the Friday evening. Turning the key had no effect, and so I checked EVERYTHING.

I checked battery switch, batteries, fuses and more fuses, removed and replaced batteries, key, ignition switch removed and looked over etc etc etc.

After 4 hours I gave up and was not a happy chap (as this boat started perfect all the time in the past). I gave up on the weekend. On Monday, I thought I'd have another look before sending it to the mechanic. It turned out the the kids had been playing on board (on the trailer) and bumped the throttle out of neutral.

BaitThrower
13-02-2008, 07:01 PM

BAHAHA thats funniest thing I heard in a while. Prolly not funny to you though. :o
The question is, was the 20 litres of lost fuel and cleanup worth the view :P

Chris Ryan
13-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Splash.

"I bought a bought a boat"............love it - hilarious!! :)

Chris

onerabbit
13-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Always tie your windup jockey wheel handle up onto the drawbar(or at least lift it up & rest it there), don't let it hang down or you will bust it off if your driveway has any slope in it!

Mick

After snapping the handle off my old one ............. I bought a brand new jockey wheel.

Very first run out of the driveway.......................you guessed it.

I have learned.

Muzz

MY-TopEnder
13-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Decided on Saturday to go for a fish with the good weather and so on... got everything loaded, had 2 mates with me, then promptly realised that I had to be somewhere else...

I have a rule that i always leave the tow hitch in the unlocked position to drop it on the truck, so i have to release it when i hitch up. I also always put the bung in at home to make sure A. its there, and B. that its in.

Anyway because i had to be somewhere else i raced home in a hurry and put the boat away.

Of course its uncovered at the moment isn't it.

I get home on Monday after a day of solid rain to find about 6" of water in the bottom of the boat and the portable fuel tank half submerged.

BUT, at least I thought to run the water into the flushing bin so that i have nice fresh water to flush it in next time.

Splash
13-02-2008, 11:44 PM
BAHAHA thats funniest thing I heard in a while. Prolly not funny to you though. :o
The question is, was the 20 litres of lost fuel and cleanup worth the view :P
..........Oh he cleaned up alright..........8-)

Xahn1960
14-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Things you should NOT forget when you get your first boat......

1. 2 strokes need oil.......

2. Warning buzzers are there for a reason......

10 years on I can at least say I remember what the buzzer is for :)

Bill.

dunmears
14-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Yes it was worth the view and it took me ages to get the smell of PETROL out of the boat. -------- Behave yourselves.

wags on the water
14-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Whether it be a boat or box trailer, if I tow it I hook it up... and I tie it down.... Never trust anyone elses knots or tying ability.........Very awkward silences.>:( :-X :-X :-X

Cheers,

Wags

Roo
14-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Whether it be a boat or box trailer, if I tow it I hook it up... and I tie it down.... Never trust anyone elses knots or tying ability.........Very awkward silences.>:( :-X :-X :-X

Cheers,

Wags

Rule No1. right there wags. Driver is responsible for whatever they are towing so never rely on someone else to hitch up or tie down a load. that said, If a mate is towing my boat...i put it on and tie it down and double check everything. If they chose not to check then that's their problem but at least I Know My boat is on as securely as it can be....and I'm not a very good Passenger, I'd rather drive.:P

Cheers Roo.

Roo
14-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I always put the Bungs in before leaving the garage. Just a sequence that prevents it being missed.....untill you get out of sequence....took the boat down to the inlaws one christmas eve, got up early and took 2 bro-inlaws fishing christmas morning, in the dim light before dawn i forgot that the sequence was broken and the bungs were sitting in a box in the boat rather than in place. i park the trailer and come back to the ramp to find the 2 (still partially Smashed) lads madly bailing the tinny.OOPs.

wags on the water
14-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Roo, the bungs go in before I leave the house. Sequence is ....1. Attached trailer hitch, safety chain, and lights. 2. Check lights. 3.Put in bungs. 4. check safety chains again. (excessive compulsive disorder). I like to check things many times much to the constant badgering by my fishing mates....

Wags

Dirtysanchez
14-02-2008, 11:23 AM
ANother stupid assed thing I did with the 1st boat I had was change the battery holder.. so what you say ? well it was on the opposite side of the ignition etc and the cable was stretched to the limit, so I unscrewed the holder, moved it to the other side and drilled / screwed her back in... Worked fine - I am the man I thinks..
Take the boat out, bit of water on the floor, WTF, then on the plane and the passenger in the back yells out to me.. I look back over my shoulder, and there is a rooster tail of water coming in through the floor, via the old screw holes..
Yep, the previous owner did such a great job of mounting the battery holder in the 1st place, the screws had gone through the inner, and outer hulls.
On the way home I purchased a bilge pump.
And some filler

Poodroo
14-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Roo, the bungs go in before I leave the house. Sequence is ....1. Attached trailer hitch, safety chain, and lights. 2. Check lights. 3.Put in bungs. 4. check safety chains again. (excessive compulsive disorder). I like to check things many times much to the constant badgering by my fishing mates....

Wags
Wags I have exactly the same process. And then when I arrive at the ramp I check it again just to be sure to be sure. ::)

Poodroo

Poodroo
14-02-2008, 11:45 AM
As most of you know I went to the boat rally last weekend. I was one of the marshalls at the Comslie ramp which some of you may know is limited on parking space so I decided that rather than leave the boat out of the water and by the time I had to go it would be good to launch it and tie off on the pontoon. Whynott who was the deckie for the day came to me later saying he had to put a PFD life jacket between the boat and the pontoon because the boat wash had got a lot worse since I launched and tied off. Much to my dismay the pontoon rubbed some decals off and even went through a small section of paint on the new rig. most annoying. Yet another lesson learned. Buy some cheap fenders. >:( Anyone good at touch ups?

Poodroo

Yab Man
26-03-2008, 09:13 PM
take the manual brakes off the trailer befor driving a half a k down the road

........check.... check ......and check again

landog
28-03-2008, 12:42 PM
funny stuff,

Ive not forgotten bungs yet but I have a check list laminated that I run through before driving away, before launch, before retrieval and before driving home.

Its totally chilled me out with the whole process :)

And it reduces the "i look like a dick" moments like when your on the ramp, people backed up behind you and you've run the winch cable out to the boat and then theres the "wheres the winch handle" - everyone looking at each other blankly :)

I too have the leak of oil when I have the engine trimmed up fully. In fact I keep the oil bottle at 50% full constantly for that reason.

coucho
28-03-2008, 01:12 PM
anchored up 4 mile from home one arvo I was wondering why my 4.5 m quinie was wollowing like a stuck pig in the slight chop. I lost a set of gear and went up to get some more gear out of the tackle box which was under the front. The front had a step down lower deck under the foredeck used to store stuff and there was my tackle bucket floating around in 8 inches of water.
Left the bungs at home in the shed. Had to jam the bung holes up with a bit of wooden rod and a rag and keep pumpin the bilge out with the hand pump all arvo.
Bought a spare set of bungs and through them in the tackle bucket next day

reidy
28-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Learnt about power tilt the hard way.
Very nearly launched a Savage Pacific to the moon off a wave due to the fact the motor was tilted back way to far.
I was lucky i was at the helm and seated,My mates feet left the floor as the old girl launched verticaly and he was only in her still because he had hold of the front hand rail:o
Trail and ERROR
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME ;D
Cheers
Reidy

Nico.d.R
28-03-2008, 06:19 PM
i always check everything at home and double check , i found out the hard way that you will not catch any fish if you leave your rods at home , i was in to much of a rush to go since i had been waiting for me missus to get home from work , so when she got home i said were out of here jumped in the car and of we went (with out my rods) . Now that i have my own boat i make sure everything is right to go , tied of , locked down and bungs in , i didnt learn that the hard way , a bloke i work with did it for me , he hooked up our cherry picker when we finished a job one day and we were driving down the road when the bloody thing jumped off the tow ball and was draging behind the truck , it was quiet funny since it wasnt me , he didnt lock the coupling down when it was dropped onto the towball .

benny2208
28-03-2008, 06:26 PM
As most of you know I went to the boat rally last weekend. I was one of the marshalls at the Comslie ramp which some of you may know is limited on parking space so I decided that rather than leave the boat out of the water and by the time I had to go it would be good to launch it and tie off on the pontoon. Whynott who was the deckie for the day came to me later saying he had to put a PFD life jacket between the boat and the pontoon because the boat wash had got a lot worse since I launched and tied off. Much to my dismay the pontoon rubbed some decals off and even went through a small section of paint on the new rig. most annoying. Yet another lesson learned. Buy some cheap fenders. >:( Anyone good at touch ups?

Poodroo

saw an artical the other day in a mag . they used one of thoes pool noodles for a fender attached to rope to stop what happened

cheers benny

Scalem
28-03-2008, 08:06 PM
The guys we saw at Manly ramp are obviously not AF members or I would see their story here..... or would I?::) Probably too embarrassed.

When we arrived to prepare for launching these two blokes were at the end of the ramp, grunting huffing and puffing, putting their shoulders into trying to push the boat off the trailer. They would have won the scrum if it was footy:o

I said to Poodroo there's no way the boat wouln't have come off the trailer by now, unless it was superglued onto the rollers or ........ The back tie down was not undone yet. Next minute there is the unmistakable sound of "click click click" of a ratchet tie down being released.;D ;D

But the story doesn't end there, now that the boat is released, it is allowed to fly off the trailer at such a rate of knots, it dips up violently at the end, and CRUNCH!!! The transom hit the ramp, no doubt taking some bark off.

'course, I've never done the same thing with my new trailer ever...... Got to laugh!

Scalem

sheridan
28-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Back in 1978 a work mate asked me to go fishing in his boat a 4 mtr bondwood forward control had a good day ended up down the boardwater mate asked if i wanted to drive said ok he said give it a rap over to stradbroke so i did heard this funny noise looked around mate was trying to grab his engine the transome had exiteded the boat thank god for cables luckily for us air sea rescue was couple hundred mtrs behind threw us a rope towed us to straddy turned out we were opposite his relly at southport and i went to school with the air sea rescue guy had such a good day bought a boat myself next couple of weeks loved boating ever since THANKS GAZA

Local_Guy
28-03-2008, 10:02 PM
picked up my boat from being serviced, mechanic asked if i needed a hand in putting the boat on the tow ball. i though, "yeah why not if he's offering'.
driving home the 5kms i heard this constant rattle that i don't normally hear.

i should have pulled over to check everything, but i just thought it was the chain hitting the trailer... i mean a guy who works around boats every hour of the day knows how to attach a trailer....

got home and noticed that while the trailer was on the tow ball, the handle/latch wasn't secured down and was sitting up where you put the split pin in.

I knew i should have stopped the car when i hear this noise, but who would have thought this would happen. i'm just glad the whole thing didn't come off.

not to mention i was quoted $160 for the service and when i picked up the boat it was $200... they underquoted me before i took the boat in.. apon inspection of the invoice they did charge me correctly, but i wasn't too happy.

spearking
22-09-2008, 09:00 PM
anyone ever left there bungs out?

BrenMac
23-09-2008, 01:51 AM

Love that imagery of inserting the fuel hose nozzle into the rod holder as the mini skirt glamour walks past and spraying everywhere- like something out of a Benny Hill episode. Cue music!;D

Cheers
Brendan

JT
23-09-2008, 06:02 AM
anyone ever left there bungs out? There are two types of boaties in the world. Those that have left their bungs out and those that will. I fit into the first catagory.

Cheers

John

Mad-One
23-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Had a day off so thought I would see if I could launch the boat by myself, hook up at home and off i go, back boat in slide it off pull it round onto sand then take car to park. Come back thinking that was easy. Climb in boat and go to get pole to push off and find myself standing in water. You guessed it no bungs Doh so put bungs in and pump it out(note to self get bigger bilge pump) then had enjoyable day on the water. Another time pushed boat off trailer with rope in hand, still got loose rope in hand and boat floating away, my son looked the goods diving in clothes and all to get boat and bring it back to land.

Mad

MarkDiver
23-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Some good threads, I'm sure new boaties will learn a lot. I've had my fair share of mistakes too.
Had a camping trip down the coast once, tried to remember everything as well as entertain the visiting family...when it was time to go fishing I realised the only thing I forgot was the boat keys..duh?
Had a panic attack on the boat ramp, again travelled up the coast this time boat full of camping gear etc. ramp was busy and adrenalin was pumping along with excitement of camping on a local island...bloody boat wouldn't start?? Quickly run over everything as this engine was immaculate...eventually found the safety kill switch was dislodged!!
I've done the safety strap thing...also forgotten to remove the removeable leg support to the trailer...fortunately remembered whilst reversing down the ramp and not while trying to launch the boat!!
I was in another boat I had, got my mate to launch me in the water whilst he unhooked the boat from the trailer...put her in reverse and she wouldn't go..nearly pulled the ute in the water before realising my mate forgot to unshackle the safety chain??
Be cautious of the tides..could get back to find your boat above the water...
I've seen a few people's boats drifting in the night as their anchor and chain disconnected due to shackles unwinding...useful tip to put cable tie thru the shackle pin eye and around the shackle to prevent this. OK I'll stop boring you all..I know I'm an idiot LOL

freddofrog
23-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Ok, here’s a list of all the stuff ups I have done over the years, those that I can remember at least

Left bungs out (a number of times) – now have fully sealed self draining deck so I can forget and it’s no longer an issue
Left jockey wheel down – they’re cheap anyway
Dropped berley cage/bomb over without it being tied on – the look on my deckie’s face was priceless or it was worth it just for that
Forgot to tilt up motors while driving on the trailer, result 6 bent prop blades (twins) – now that hurt
Boat slipping off trailer while solo launching, ramming into jetty, result 1 broken cav plate, had to get the dive gear out a couple of days afterwards and snorkel for it after work in the dark, mid winter, people must have thought I was crazy – but I regularly night dive mid winter for king prawns so maybe they’re right!
Travelling in very very skinny water with lots of random rocks on the bottom, more bent props, what was I thinking
Beaching the boat on an outgoing tide, had to get pulled/pushed off in front of a whole flotilla of 40’ cabin cruisers etc, how embarrassing
Not putting gear shifter back together after dropping leg and then not testing it and then floating away from jetty with motor running but not being able to engage gear, then having to try and retieve boat with winch strap which is too short as it’s old and each time it frays I just shorten it off because I never actually use it to winch as I drive on but the one time I need it I have to have half submerge my car to get the strap to reach – man was I “annoyed” that day
Driving 50km to ramp and leaving the kill switch lanyard at home – wife and kids not impressed
Trailer plug left dragging on road, not much left after a couple of kms
Leaving trailer lock on driveway while taking boat on holidays, luckily boat/trailer not stolen and lock still on driveway when I returned
Putting 4L of 2st oil instead on 400ml into tank (5:1 instead of 50:1) Then having a whole heap of people including uni graduates etc all arguing over what is the correct ratio to use this 5:1 mixture to make up a new batch of fuel to the correct 50:1 ratio. That was quite funny actually, the fact that we couldn’t agree for a number of days on a correct mix ratio with all the supposed intellect in the room
Tilting the motors up too high and hitting the back of the transom and cracking the top oil cap on the engine cowling (a number of times) – wife not impressed
Anchoring on wreck, wind changes direction and anchor rope ends up frayed through on wreck – should have repositioned on wind change
Leaving rod in rod holders without lanyards in large swell, I saw it go over, it sank beautifully, all rod holders now have spectra lanyards with brass clips
Trying to launch boat without undoing the safety chain/winch strap, car getting further in water without boat coming off, my deckie thought it was very funny
Installing a ventilation grill on a door panel without first cutting out the wood behind it. Now that was funny, doh!
That’s boating….

Poodroo
23-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Ok, here’s a list of all the stuff ups I have done over the years, those that I can remember at least

Left bungs out (a number of times) – now have fully sealed self draining deck so I can forget and it’s no longer an issue
Left jockey wheel down – they’re cheap anyway
Dropped berley cage/bomb over without it being tied on – the look on my deckie’s face was priceless or it was worth it just for that
Forgot to tilt up motors while driving on the trailer, result 6 bent prop blades (twins) – now that hurt
Boat slipping off trailer while solo launching, ramming into jetty, result 1 broken cav plate, had to get the dive gear out a couple of days afterwards and snorkel for it after work in the dark, mid winter, people must have thought I was crazy – but I regularly night dive mid winter for king prawns so maybe they’re right!
Travelling in very very skinny water with lots of random rocks on the bottom, more bent props, what was I thinking
Beaching the boat on an outgoing tide, had to get pulled/pushed off in front of a whole flotilla of 40’ cabin cruisers etc, how embarrassing
Not putting gear shifter back together after dropping leg and then not testing it and then floating away from jetty with motor running but not being able to engage gear, then having to try and retieve boat with winch strap which is too short as it’s old and each time it frays I just shorten it off because I never actually use it to winch as I drive on but the one time I need it I have to have half submerge my car to get the strap to reach – man was I “annoyed” that day
Driving 50km to ramp and leaving the kill switch lanyard at home – wife and kids not impressed
Trailer plug left dragging on road, not much left after a couple of kms
Leaving trailer lock on driveway while taking boat on holidays, luckily boat/trailer not stolen and lock still on driveway when I returned
Putting 4L of 2st oil instead on 400ml into tank (5:1 instead of 50:1) Then having a whole heap of people including uni graduates etc all arguing over what is the correct ratio to use this 5:1 mixture to make up a new batch of fuel to the correct 50:1 ratio. That was quite funny actually, the fact that we couldn’t agree for a number of days on a correct mix ratio with all the supposed intellect in the room
Tilting the motors up too high and hitting the back of the transom and cracking the top oil cap on the engine cowling (a number of times) – wife not impressed
Anchoring on wreck, wind changes direction and anchor rope ends up frayed through on wreck – should have repositioned on wind change
Leaving rod in rod holders without lanyards in large swell, I saw it go over, it sank beautifully, all rod holders now have spectra lanyards with brass clips
Trying to launch boat without undoing the safety chain/winch strap, car getting further in water without boat coming off, my deckie thought it was very funny
Installing a ventilation grill on a door panel without first cutting out the wood behind it. Now that was funny, doh!
That’s boating….

:o You've obviously been boating infinitely longer than I have. I have a long way to go before I catch up to you. ;D ;)

Poodroo

L-Plate
23-09-2008, 01:12 PM
My best half, although not looking at any stunners, came home after a long week of even longer days to get ready for a weekend on the water...couldn't understand why the boat was needing so much oil...didn't seem to be filling...Yep, you guessed it - throwing it down the rod holder instead... NOT HAPPY JAN:-[

mromanis
23-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Done the bung thing...... done the "not quite hitched" thing..... done the fuel in the wrong hole thing too.
The funniest thing though was being out in WPB in Vic, my father and his mate were along for a fish, and Dad's mate is bit of a prima donna, and certified card carrying pessimist. We assured him my boat is in good working order and everything will be fine.
We're having a bit of a fish and dad's mate is getting a bit nervy after a couple of hours, so we pack up to head back in.
I go to start the motor and it just turns over with out starting, I scratch my chin a bit, check the fuel bulb, try starting again, no spark.
After about 10 mins of faffing around with external things, off comes the hood, I have a bit of a poke around and can't see anything obviously wrong but I do notice a strong fuel smell.
By this stage dad's mate is freaking, thinking we're going to be stuck out there, he's huffing and puffing, turning red and blue in turns, and saying he thinks he could swim to shore. My father reminds him of some of the big things with teeth we'd seen a little while ago, and he turns purple. Dad tells him to "Calm down, don't have a heart attack, worse case we just get on the blower and arrange a tow in."
I walk back to he helm feeling pretty ordinary about it all, and look down at the safety switch which has the red plug hanging off it. Feeling pretty stupid I push it back in and start the boat straight away. Dad's mate is almost crying, I say something about an air lock in the fuel line (??!??) and we go back in.
As soon as we dock dad's mate is off, I look at my father and he looks at me and says "Air block?"
We had a big laugh as we packed up, but I learnt to check that little thing more often.
We bought dad's mate a big bottle of "sorry" Scotch for giving him a bit of a scare.
Matthew.

NormC
23-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Reading all these stories and having a chuckle, I'm thinking how silly are these blokes, I've never done those things. Then I remember a small incident form our trip to NT last year.

We were camped at King Ash Bay on the Macarthur River. Wife (Kathryn) and I stop at a favourite spot to try for some prawns on the way down the river. It is a creek that you sometimes have to walk a couple of hundred meters along to find prawns.

As we pull in, I say to Kathryn 'don't worry about tying up, the tide is going out, so I'll just pull the boat up on the sand a bit. The weather is nice, so Kathryn rips the T shirt off and heads off in her bikini top, bucket in hand to collect a feed of pawns.

You have probably guessed it. I got the tide wrong. We come back about 40 mins later and the boat is gone. Kathryn immediatly goes to panic stations. This is croc territory remember and there is a lot of water between boats.

I wander upstream 50 metres and see our tinnie drifting about 20 metres off shore. I call back that I can see the boat and I'll just walk along the bank till it drifts back in. Kathryn goes from panic to hysterics thinking I'll go in the water to get the boat and she will see me mashed by crocs.

Well for the next 45 mins or so, I'm slowly walking along the bank watching our boat, thinking 'if it comes within 10 metres or so, I wonder if I could wade out as quick as I can, before any crocs know I'm there'. Fortunately it didn't come closer, so I didn't have to test this out.

As Kathryn tells the story, she was surrounded by snapping crocodiles, eaten alive by sand flies and mozzies, had to fight off cannibals while she scorched in the blazing sun without drinking water.

After close to an hour, we hear a boat coming up stream and Kathryn frantically waves it down. It was an aboriginal family from out on the island in the Sir Edward Pellew Group, heading up to Borroloola for supplies. I think they had a good chuckle as she told them what had happened and where to look for me.

As I was picked up, the elder of the small group says ' Your lucky you didn't swim out to your boat. There's some big fellas live in the water around here' - and he wasn't talking about barra. I'm sure they told stories for days about the crazy white fella who lost his boat.

Now we anchor or tie off on a tree every time we get out of the boat.

Fortunately, Kathryn hasn't entirely lost faith in me. We went back again this year and had a good laugh when we stopped at the same spot. Planning on going back next year as well.

Norm C

spearking
24-09-2008, 07:52 AM
So I'm not just the only one who does things a little left of centre, good to know I'm not the only kluts out there, I'll have to spread the word to my mates

TimiBoy
24-09-2008, 08:35 AM
On Bubi, I'll never pour fuel down the wrong hole. But I have left the bungs out...

My Mate Dave the Pom is standing in the water on the ramp, up near to his knees, waiting for me to back her down. In due course I did, but no bungs.

Well, the water rushed in, as it does, and the bilge pump kicks in. It's a high capacity pump, and it exits from half way up the side of the hull. I'm watching Dave in the side mirror as it pumps out a pretty serious stream, straight into his chest and face! He jumped...

I laughed all day

Cheers,

Tim

MarkDiver
24-09-2008, 10:02 AM
"On Bubi, I'll never pour fuel down the wrong hole. ..."
Cheers,

Tim

Tim

I can't quite fathom how they do that either however I feel you're tempting fate..you know the saying "never say never" ;)

Mark

TimiBoy
24-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Tim

I can't quite fathom how they do that either however I feel you're tempting fate..you know the saying "never say never" ;)

Mark

You can't reach any of the rod holders or anything else from anywhere near the filler. They are widely seperated, thankfully, because if they were close enough, I would have done it by now - it's definitely my style!

Cheers,

Tim

Poodroo
24-09-2008, 11:05 AM
On Bubi, I'll never pour fuel down the wrong hole. But I have left the bungs out...

Firstly you just never know. You too could have your eyes diverted all because some gorgeous babe in a mini struts her stuff past you just before you start to fill the boat up.

My Mate Dave the Pom is standing in the water on the ramp, up near to his knees, waiting for me to back her down. In due course I did, but no bungs.

Well, the water rushed in, as it does, and the bilge pump kicks in. It's a high capacity pump, and it exits from half way up the side of the hull. I'm watching Dave in the side mirror as it pumps out a pretty serious stream, straight into his chest and face! He jumped...

I laughed all day - Yup, that would have made me laugh my head off all day too. Thanks for sharing ;)

Cheers,

Tim

Cheers,

Poodroo

PinHead
24-09-2008, 06:52 PM
why do people even take the bungs out?

left them out once many years back on a 20' fraser we had..put them in that trip and they never came out again. new boats..bungs don't get taken out on it either.

SummerTrance
24-09-2008, 10:00 PM

To let out rain water, water thats leaked in from cracked welds, water after hosing floor of boat ect

SummerTrance
24-09-2008, 10:03 PM
If you crusing just off the edge of the channel, and you've just passed a container ship, expect the ships wake to double in size when it hits the side of the channel. Im still limping after learning this lesson 3 weeks ago.

Yeh, ive also forgot the bungs once aswell.

Az
25-09-2008, 03:38 PM
didn't happen to me.. but I remember a corker of a story about a fella putting a full tank of fuel into one of his rod holders thinking it was the fuel cap!! haha still makes me laugh!!!

MarkDiver
25-09-2008, 04:17 PM

left them out once many years back on a 20' fraser we had..put them in that trip and they never came out again. new boats..bungs don't get taken out on it either.
PinHead,
I gave your question some thought.
Now your answer is to leave the automatic bilge on right?? ::)

So what happens when someone refuels their boat at the servo and they use the rod holder instead of the filler cap as per previous posts?? :-X

;)

Poodroo
25-09-2008, 07:26 PM
My boat is aluminium. I take the bungs out because I am funny about leaving salt water in there or any water for that matter. I usually give the boat a bit of a rinse out after I have been out so tend to want to drain all the water out once it is cleaned. Not such an issue in a fibreglass boat.
Okay MarkDiver. I guess the answer to your question would be KABOOM? ::) :-X

Poodroo

PinHead
25-09-2008, 07:37 PM
PinHead,
I gave your question some thought.
Now your answer is to leave the automatic bilge on right?? ::)

So what happens when someone refuels their boat at the servo and they use the rod holder instead of the filler cap as per previous posts?? :-X

;)

I cannot believe that anyone could possibly be that stupid to put fuel in the rod holder..if they are, they do not deserve to have a boat.

BrewGuru
25-09-2008, 08:03 PM
My boat is aluminium. I take the bungs out because I am funny about leaving salt water in there or any water for that matter. I usually give the boat a bit of a rinse out after I have been out so tend to want to drain all the water out once it is cleaned. Not such an issue in a fibreglass boat.
Okay MarkDiver. I guess the answer to your question would be KABOOM? ::) :-X

Poodroo

I have had boats most of my life, ths is the first boat that I have owned that required a tender hanging off the back davitts, never took the bungs out, why woud you?
Me away, we had 200mls of rainfall over 3 days, got back to my boat which is listing to the aft with approximately 2 tonne of water sitting in the tender, ropes strained to the limit.It is something I would have never of thought about doing, taking the bungs out of a tender, learn;t my lesson

Poodroo
25-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I have had boats most of my life, ths is the first boat that I have owned that required a tender hanging off the back davitts, never took the bungs out, why woud you?
Me away, we had 200mls of rainfall over 3 days, got back to my boat which is listing to the aft with approximately 2 tonne of water sitting in the tender, ropes strained to the limit.It is something I would have never of thought about doing, taking the bungs out of a tender, learn;t my lesson

Thanks for sharing. This was the exact reason I started this thread. You have shared a valuable lesson and if one other person in a similar position to you happens to read your post and avoids the same mistake as a result then this thread has actually been useful.

Regards,

Poodroo