PDA

View Full Version : Urgent - Flyingfish required - Hervey Bay

bondy99
09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
G'day recreational anglers and those who may know commercial scallop and prawn trawl operators.

I am doing a study on flyingfish and was told Hervey Bay would be the best place.

My supervisor has stated that some payment will be made as this is a project of importance to the Centre of Marine Studies - The University of Queensland. As they would like a regular supplier.

I can travel to Hervey Bay to collect specimes but they will need to be freshly caught but frozen asap. As these are difficult to obtain by recreational anglers , I therefore kindly ask if those in the Hervey Bay area can past this request onto charterboat operators and any of their friends who have connections with the trawler fleet, specifically the scallop and prawn trawlers.

A general fisheries permit has been acquired for this purpose.

I have approached DPIF in the past but they put in the too hard basket as they don't have any fisheries observers spare, they are mostly concentrated up North, around Cairns. In otherwords, its a polite way of saying they are not interested.

Could you be kind enough to get in contact with me if you can assist.

Another alternative is maybe by a recreational fisher who knows the area and is prepared to go at night with a deckie and a powerful stern decklight to bring these fish to the surface and scoop them with a large handled net. If your'e genuine then let me know and I'll contact my supervisor to see what arrangements can be made. Peter

bondy99
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
One reply by pm so far. Still waiting for others if any

samson
10-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Pete had another one jump in the boat the other day but threw it back as it was only 5cm long.

bondy99
10-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Pete had another one jump in the boat the other day but threw it back as it was only 5cm long.

Hi, longtime no hear.

Any chance of keeping it next time?.

The supervisor has placed extra pressure on me.

I was told there will be studies on different range size , it would have been good to look at transitional changes and see if there was any differences in stage developments.

Can you pm your phone number again please, I have that much paper work here and big clean up. Thanks, Peter

finding_time
10-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Seen plenty over the last few months. weekend before last we were 80km's ne of Mooloolahbah and they were everywhere,But i've got know idea how you would ever catch any except the ones that accidently land in the boat!

Ian

Jeremy
11-02-2008, 07:26 AM
SURELY, your supervisor must have some sort of idea or plan of how you were going to collect specimens before you embarked on ur study? Due dilligence. Might be a good idea or important or whatever, but you have to come up with a plan of how to go about it as well.

So, what was the plan? Surely you had a better idea than just hoping a few rec or pro fishers might be lucky enough for one to jump in the boat and then to keep it for you?

Jeremy

bondy99
11-02-2008, 08:29 AM
SURELY, your supervisor must have some sort of idea or plan of how you were going to collect specimens before you embarked on ur study? Due dilligence. Might be a good idea or important or whatever, but you have to come up with a plan of how to go about it as well.

So, what was the plan? Surely you had a better idea than just hoping a few rec or pro fishers might be lucky enough for one to jump in the boat and then to keep it for you?

Jeremy

G'day Jeremy,

Yep, my supervisor had been in contact with a researcher in Canada (Uni of Canada), I went throught customs and AQIS to get clearances etc, but the products were not delivered. The specimes where suppose to be here by October last year. I made a back up plan to go to Indonesia to get these but supervisor did not think this would be a good idea. It's called disfunctional and disorganisation, typical of uni. This was also suppose to be undertaken 2 years ago also but was placed on the backburner. Australian Museums would be reluctant to have their specimens hacked up, so to speak. We need fresh if possible and not in fixed soultion for the studies. Fixed solution is ok for some but not for the other parts. Also makes it difficult with the supervisor is now on sabbatical and no one else been organised to be temp supervisor. Nothing is impossible, just difficult. Peter

bondy99
11-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Seen plenty over the last few months. weekend before last we were 80km's ne of Mooloolahbah and they were everywhere,But i've got know idea how you would ever catch any except the ones that accidently land in the boat!

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'll just have to organise a boat with crew to go and get these specifically. Night time , but the sea would have to be relatively calm

seamaid
11-02-2008, 12:59 PM
One reply by pm so far. Still waiting for others if any
8-) Fishing east off Flinders Reef apoprox 1klm (green zone now) anchor at night with a bright light & the Flying fish will bom bar you, Put them on 7/0 gangs with wire trace, Barracuda love them.
Best of tomorrows Ged.

Jeremy
11-02-2008, 01:56 PM
yeah, things do not always go to plan for sure. I reckon customs would make it hard for you to import any specimens, fixed or fresh. Hope you are able to source a few.

Jeremy

onerabbit
11-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Only ever had one come over the bow, luckily it broke it's fall with my left eye, slapped me across the face, & I turned just in time to see it go back over the side.......................................dont think I would have been able to pass it on if it had stayed in the boat.

Muzz

bondy99
13-02-2008, 09:05 PM
yeah, things do not always go to plan for sure. I reckon customs would make it hard for you to import any specimens, fixed or fresh. Hope you are able to source a few.

Jeremy

G'day Jeremy

No problems with AQIS and Customs, I've already checked the protocol compliances and all is good, a third party clearance is required between AQIS and Customs ($160.00 processing clearance fee). One of the researches in Canada is slack, it should have been sent last year. But we still need fresh specimens for other aspects of the project.

Peter

bondy99
13-02-2008, 09:09 PM
8-) Fishing east off Flinders Reef apoprox 1klm (green zone now) anchor at night with a bright light & the Flying fish will bom bar you, Put them on 7/0 gangs with wire trace, Barracuda love them.
Best of tomorrows Ged.

Ged, thanks for your post, we need these for lab work.

I have general fisheries permit, how big's your boat? You can pm with details and might be able to work something out. When was the last time you seen them?

Peter

seamaid
14-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Ged, thanks for your post, we need these for lab work.

I have general fisheries permit, how big's your boat? You can pm with details and might be able to work something out. When was the last time you seen them?

Peter
8-) HI BONDY99
That was a few years back,Wife & I moved to Hervey Bay, but its a location worth visiting, however watch the boundry of green zone, came down in boat size, 24ft to 16ft, if we happen to locate & catch I pm you.

seamaid
14-02-2008, 08:22 AM
8-) HI BONDY99
That was a few years back,Wife & I moved to Hervey Bay, but its a location worth visiting, however watch the boundry of green zone, came down in boat size, 24ft to 16ft, if we happen to locate & catch I pm you.
8-) Mix up photo's

bondy99
14-02-2008, 09:25 AM
8-) Mix up photo's

Thanks Ged,

Problem with flyingfish is they tend to move around alot and may travel great distances. Thanks with the location info as to where you had spotted them in the past. Peter

Covertfly
15-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Bondy,

I've seen heaps before, but haven't had any land in the boat before. Last time i saw a big patch of them was when traveling by Grey Funnel line to Hawaii, always see them then. Have also seen some recently down off the coast from Jervis Bay. They were big ones - estimate about 30cm+ but unfortunately none landed in the boat. Likely to be used as a marlin bait if it does.

Craig

bondy99
15-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Bondy,

I've seen heaps before, but haven't had any land in the boat before. Last time i saw a big patch of them was when traveling by Grey Funnel line to Hawaii, always see them then. Have also seen some recently down off the coast from Jervis Bay. They were big ones - estimate about 30cm+ but unfortunately none landed in the boat. Likely to be used as a marlin bait if it does.

Craig

Thanks but cant go to Hawaii. Need them closer to Qld

bondy99
20-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks to all those who have reported locations, if these cannot be sourced locally then looks like it will have to come from either Indonesia or Japan, our contact in Canada is too slack, and maybe I'll pull the pin on this one.

Cheers, Peter