PDA

View Full Version : laptop

Wahoo
09-02-2008, 08:12 PM
can anyone give me some advice on getting data from one laptop to the other?
what i have is one L/T that i somehow have burnt the screen on it, seems to work otherwise, and the one im useing now, went out and brought a Ethernet cable today, tried hooking them up and got nothing, is there alot more to it than meets the eye?

Daz

Tailortaker
09-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Just asked the wife who's a IT teacher abd she said you can connect the laptop to a monitor so you can then see what you're doing to save files to disk and put o nnew laptop.

oddbudman
09-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Wahoo,

What operating system are you using?

Windows XP has a function called "Files & Settings Transfer Wizard" which is a good place to start.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php (http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php)

Also, your old laptop may just have a burnt out backlight CCFL tube - if its not too old you can probably get it fixed without too much expense.

oddbudman

Wahoo
09-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Wahoo,

What operating system are you using?

Windows XP has a function called "Files & Settings Transfer Wizard" which is a good place to start.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php (http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php)

Also, your old laptop may just have a burnt out backlight CCFL tube - if its not too old you can probably get it fixed without too much expense.

oddbudman

thanks OBM, good read on that link, the L/T is about 3 yrs old now, but halfway on setting it up ( im useing XP ) that it cannot read PC Linox (SP) thats what the other L/T is running, i might have to do what T/T advised with another monitor, or even get an IT guy in, i have been playing with this for about 3hrs now

thanks for your help

Daz

BaitThrower
09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Hook up a monitor to the busted laptop so you can see what you are doing, then grab yourself an external hard drive (fairly cheap) and start transferring :)

If you have a wireless router with broadband, you can also talk to each other via IPs etc. I have used chat programs like AOL Instant Messenger in the past to transfer files... although this is best for single files. For large transfers, I use an external hard drive. My wireless router also allows a hard drive to be connected direct to it, so the external hard drive can act as a file server for other computers to connect to and download files.

I have never liked wired network connections... always very fiddly to set up.

Fishin_Dan
09-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I have never liked wired network connections... always very fiddly to set up.

Wired networks are fiddly, but wireless is ok? Do you run any security on your wireless networks?

Wahoo - You can get them to network together by assigning an IP address to both of them (eg 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2) and using a "cross over" cable. Dick Smith or any computer store should have one.

Then you just go to START > RUN and type in \\<thecomputername>\c$ (file://\\<thecomputername>\c$)

That should give you access to the C: drive of the other computer. Then just copy the files off.

That however is a long winded approach when you can buy big external hard drives for cheap. Definitely your easiest option.

Wahoo
09-02-2008, 10:53 PM
thanks all, i think the easiest way is getting the external hard drive

Daz

BaitThrower
09-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Wired networks are fiddly, but wireless is ok? Do you run any security on your wireless networks?

Of course! Not that silly. WPA security at least :)

GAD
10-02-2008, 07:06 PM
ethernet cable is good if you is using a switch or hub , or if it is direct from computer to computer it will need a crossover cable { same thing just terminated differently at ends}, other wise transfer by card or external hard drive but will be slow.
I agree wireless networking is fiddly but if set up right they are secure not like the hundreds I come across that are open and accssible , though slowly that is changing with longer exposure to the tech people are learning .

Greg

littlejim
11-02-2008, 03:34 PM
High volume 'thumb'/'flash' drives are good value at present, they plug into the USB port. That gives you another option.
the thumb drive comes in handy after you've transferred your stuff.