PDA

View Full Version : offshore boat

KiWi_625
09-02-2008, 04:50 PM
hi all

just wondering on the thoughts of others regarding the best bay/ offshore boat and motor, around the 5m mark.

cheers kiwi

toymod
09-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I also would be interested in this.

I have been looking at the yalta 535 haines and the freedom escape.

Saltboy
09-02-2008, 06:41 PM
You have to weigh up if you want ally or glass and what your use for the boat will be. Will the family be in it, centre console or cabin, how far out you want to go out etc. I'm looking at the moment also and leaning to an ally for towing weight, beach launching and economy.

pursuit001
09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
toy mod to be honest mate id be avoiding the freedom their a no frills very basic looking boat in the 5 metre range depending on your budget try and consider pursuit boats mustang haines also yatala are quiet a good boat ive heard a few good reports .
cheers shane .

KiWi_625
09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
well lets say a glass boat pure for fishing eg. lots of room. any sort of cabin- bit of shelter

Saltboy
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd definately look at the seafarer then.

jtpython
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a cruisecraft explorer and am extremely pleased and have well entruly put her thru her paces, mines a 550 explorer but they have stopped making them in 2002 i think?
But they make the 575 and money may be an issue you didn't put a price in,
I know when i was looking for a boat and locked onto crusiecrafts i seen some pretty shitty boats for well over the 35 k mark till i found my beauty for 35 k it's self , They really hold their value too
But this is my opinion
cheers JT

bustastu
09-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I've got a 580 Haines Hunter Breeze with a 150 E-Tec and am very happy with its performance and handling. The Cruisecraft 575 is also a very reliable boat. Happy Hunting....

BS.

Reel Magic
10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Kiwi,

I have a Cruise Craft 500 Explorer.
I am wrapped with it, has all the mod cons, cabin, plenty of fishing room.
I have fished offshore on numerous occasions and in some big seas, it feels a good safe boat. I have also taken it upto Fraser Island also.
It is a very good stable bay and offshore boat. I find it will go anywhere the 6m boats go.

Cheers Ryan.

trueblue
10-02-2008, 02:30 PM
My boat is 5.3m from transom to bow, not including 2 feet of boards behind the transom and 2 feet of bowsprit. Would be at least a 6.3m the way they measure boats now... but I like the old way of measuring boats because that is the useable space not the length that gets boasted about.

But its too small in my opinion. Offshore, I am thinking that I would want a 6.85 to 7m boat if I was upgrading trailerable boats.

Just my opinion.

Mick

finding_time
10-02-2008, 04:37 PM
well lets say a glass boat pure for fishing eg. lots of room. any sort of cabin- bit of shelter

Ok!

How about a boat that's got more fishing room than any boat under 6m , it has a cabin that can sleep 2 quite well, and as far a performance well there definately isn't a boat under 6m that will go better in the slop and it will out perform many many boats over 6,7 and 8m when it get above say 20 knots!

Best of all it's only 5.2m long!!:D :D :D Hard to believe!! :-/ Not really when you realize i'm taking about a 5.2m KEVLACAT

Ian

Outer Edge
10-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Ok!

How about a boat that's got more fishing room than any boat under 6m , it has a cabin that can sleep 2 quite well, and as far a performance well there definately isn't a boat under 6m that will go better in the slop and it will out perform many many boats over 6,7 and 8m when it get above say 20 knots!

Best of all it's only 5.2m long!!:D :D :D Hard to believe!! :-/ Not really when you realize i'm taking about a 5.2m KEVLACAT

Ian

Ian,

Would have to agree with most of what your saying ..............However , if i had a 8M boat of any style ,shape or hull configeration and saw a 5.2M boat go past me. I would have to say, it would be a hard thing to believe and she would be on the market next day... NOT taking anything away from the 5.2 boat, but shorly not 8M . Very few anyway. Im a cat fan but there`s some good 8M jobs out there .
:)
OE.

Smithy
10-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I was in a 36' Black Watch the other day and Ian went past me. I was in the cabin and could have been reading a book though whereas he was jumping off the top of them and looking quite wet!

finding_time
10-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Still went past Smithy!!!;D ;D ;D and if i had had the clears i would have been very dry ( damm that brother of mine:-[ ) i wasn't slamming though;) And you were over twice as long and 5 times heavier!

OE, i'm not saying all 8m boats in fact i'm saying very few, but there are a few models out there that i would eat!! You know the type , one where the designer/ manufacturer has tried to maximize cabin room in doing so has created big shoulders on the boat, which seem to catch every wave when quartering a sea!

Ian

freddofrog
12-02-2008, 08:21 AM
ditto Ian, go the 5.2 KC, what all boats aspire to be, you won't be disappointed!!!