PDA

View Full Version : Mud hornets in boat.

John L
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping mud hornets from building mud nests in boats. They have a habit of building thier nests in the most awkward, hard to get at places. Usually up under the coaming , or up high in the transom recess.

I don't want to seal the boat up like a drum, maybe some one has used a repellant of some sort?

Any help appreciated as this is very annoying.

Roughasguts
09-02-2008, 04:58 AM
Carby clean is the fastest thing I know of for killing wasps once hit they drop straight to the ground.

But as for keeping them away I wouldn't have a clue, how about moth balls?.

Roughasguts
09-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Just wondering if you sprayed under the cowl with Silicone spray, armourall, diesel Etc to make a surface slippery so the mud won't stick to it.
Surely the wasp will get bored and try somewhere else.

MyEscape
09-02-2008, 05:43 AM
But you would get anything under the cowl would you? I thought more like propellor exhaust and the like.

Steve

eagle1
09-02-2008, 05:59 AM
have the same problem john, pain in the but,dont know have you can get rid of them
few years ago we put the ski boat [inboard] in a mates shed out of town for a the winter,we towed the boat home before summer to get it ready for the up coming season, we put the boat in the garrage and went to the pub for the night, next morning opened up the shed to find it full of rats, there would of been 20 of the pricks running around the rafters,the boat was full of nests, and all the wiring was chewed out,and the smell is still in the boat years later,
beleive me the hornets are'nt to bad

cheers cabbage

Roughasguts
09-02-2008, 06:22 AM
But you would get anything under the cowl would you? I thought more like propellor exhaust and the like.

Steve

Yup my bad. I meant under the deck, in the cabin, transom Etc.

But I guess it could get under the cowl of the motor, cause air has to get in there.

BM
09-02-2008, 06:58 AM
I am plagued by those things every summer here in vic. Has anyone noticed that the hatchlings are actually spiders????? Wasps that hatch spiders?????

dnej
09-02-2008, 08:03 AM
BM,
The spiders are for the young to feed on I believe
David

Roughasguts
09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Got nothing to do today (cause I have to work) but at least I get paid so done some research all you may need to do is make a trap for the wasp so he can't even start making his nests.

So get a plastic coke bottle cut it in half and shove a table spoon of jam in the bottom.
Then invert the top and place back in the bottle, tape it up so it won't fall apart.

So theres your trap you may wan't to put water in the bottom or as they sugest use just apple juice as the bait and drowning agent.

Dignity
09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
RAGS, silicone spray sounds good - suggest more frequent use of the vessel may be the best prevetion

Scott nthQld
09-02-2008, 04:55 PM
RAGS, silicone spray sounds good - suggest more frequent use of the vessel may be the best prevetion

Just tell the missus, you have to go fishing to stop the hornets. Its a matter of safety for yourself, her and the kids, nobody want hornets around when they've got kids around, it a win-win, you get to take the boat out more, hornets dont infiltrate and your missus gets peice of mind knowing that there will be fewer hornets around to sting the kids.