PDA

View Full Version : What have you forgotten to do

Mrs Ronnie H
08-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi All
Just wondering what sort of things you have forgotten and nearly caused a major incident with your boat???????? This was prompted by my near disaster below.:oops:

I am asking this as late yesterday arvo I thought I would hop in the boat and just give it the once over. Second foot up the ladder was enough. Down the ladder quick as and took the bungs out. Not only was the front cab holding a fair amount of water but so was the back. We were heading out last weekend but at the last changed our minds. After starting the motor at home i usually put the bungs in ready to go and so I don't forget down at the ramp. I suppose its easy to forget to put them in but not forgetting to take them out is another story. No harm to the motor or inside of the boat-- At least I know she has no leaks at all. I count mu lucky stars as we could of had a very wet inboard with all the rain this last week.

Let me know what you have forgotten to do????

Ronnie

Wahoo
08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
G"day Ronnie

not so much disaster, but when i carry rods n reels in the back of the ute i have them reel covers on, to put the reels in the cover you have to take the handle off and put them in a pocket in the cover, running late and in a hurry, took the covers off and threw them in the ute with the handles still in the covers,:o:o:o not one but 3::)::)::)
lucky my mate had a spare rod for me to use

Daz

Scott nthQld
08-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I've got the same story as many fisho's. Launched the boat, tied her off to park the car only to come back with a boat 1/2 full of water, was a sprint back to the car, 20min to wind the boat back on (a 16fter is very heavy when is 1/2 full of water) and wait another 15 minutes for the water to drain, meanwhile I was at the fresh water tap nearby rinsing all the reels that had bee sitting in salt water, needless to say they all got a good going over when I got home.

ffejsmada
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I must have been in another world a few weeks back::)

I live about 15 minutes, 10 k's from the ramp I use, half of that at 100k's an hour.
Hitch the trailer up, bungs in at home and off I go for a fish. I get to the ramp prep area, take all ropes and tie downs off and reverse trailer to waters edge. Sweet, no problems as usual.
Get to waters edge, unhitch winch hook from boat and attempt to slide boat into the drink.
Well, bugger me dead, the whole trailer comes off the tow ball:o:o:o:o!!!!!!!

I'd failed to attach the trailer to towball correctly. Thank god the safety chain was attached at least!!!!!

The latch that is meant to lock trailer on towball was in release mode, so trailer was just sitting there on the ball!!!!!

Anyway, learnt a valuable lesson, mind on the job!!!!!!!!

I felt like a real idiot, but thanked the stars that I didn't cause an accident and that no-one got hurt.

Cheers, Jeff.:-[:-[

MY-TopEnder
08-02-2008, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't really say it was all THAT dangerous but with my old boat it was the day of Riverfire... we weren't going until someone on here put up an ad that their inboard let go and they couldn't use the flag. I shot a PM off and managed to score it... by this stage we didn't have alot of time to get things ready... so raced around and threw both tanks in, all the gear loaded after drying out the night before.

I stopped at the servo and filled both tanks up ready to go and then raced over to Wynnum to pick up the flag.

We get to Colmslie ramp and all i can smell is fuel... stupid me didn't put the cap back on the second tank, so I had carpet soaked in fuel, and lost about 20l out of a 25lt tank. I started mopping up with rags and made the call that she'll be right.

BILLY THE KID
08-02-2008, 08:43 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/billythakid666/A942.jpg

thats why i have one of these on the boat key / float .
the bung goes on it once it comes out at the ramp .

that way if you forget the bung you forgot the boat key ;D

NAGG
08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Scott ..... leaving the bungs out (at least once) is part of owning a boat ...::)
Saw a guy in a ski boat do it once ..... he dicked around for so long at the ramp ( boat still on trailer) ... but in the water ! ...... Boat filled up with a fair bit of water & when he noticed it ..... tried to drive out ( no traction ... ute @ low tide) ..... the whole lot ended up in the drink :-[

ffejsmada ..... been there & done that with the tow ball hitch ........ first big bump ( 1 km from home) ...... off it comes:o Aside from destroying the brake mechanism & my pride ... all was OK as we just took off from traffic lights - - now I have a small padlock that is on my hitch ..... I have to unlock it to put it on the ball ..... the lock stays on the keys till I put it back on ( too hard to ignore)

Nagg

haggis
08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
the usual of not putting the bungs in , also forgetting to put on the tie down strap , never noticed it at wynnum but found out at bottom of gateway bridge when hit a pot hole & boat jumped off trailer skids . managed to tie boat on till I got home .
cheers haggis .

jez and suze
09-02-2008, 07:08 AM
i was talking to someone today who said a bloke was so excited to get out fishing that he took off in the boat and left his car still running on the ramp...the coast gaurd had to come and move it.

PinHead
09-02-2008, 09:03 AM
left bungs out
forgot the bait
forgot the esky with food in it

JEWIENEWIE
09-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I forgot the boat! Was on the beers the night before prepin the boat with amate. Gear in fueled up esky etc, tell me mate to reverse car up to boat for quick getaway in morning.
Woke up early as planned, still dark hung over as buggery, . Drive on down to the ramp only a few ks away, got about 2ks down road to realise no baot following us. Turn to mate and say where the @#$@# boat!
His coment, you told me to reverse the car up , you didnt say to hook it up, thought you did!
Returned home to have wife in carport asking if i had forgotten something.::) :P
Jewie

Mrs Ronnie H
09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi all
Soinds like we have all had our share of mishaps, had to have a laugh at forgetting the boat-- Jewie that sounds like a Boat what boat ad. had a chuckle over that one.

good to know i'm not alone when it comes to feeling like an idiot and hurting my pride.

Ronnie

MyEscape
10-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Jewienewie,

That's a ripper!!

Yep, I've done the usual once a while ago not putting the bungs in. It's something that everyone will do given time I'm sure.

But, I've never left the boat at home.

Steve

JEWIENEWIE
10-02-2008, 10:58 AM
::) ::) ::) :-[ :-[ ::)
Jewie

Reel Magic
10-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Jewie,

Thats a classic, I was so excited having Dad here that I took him out for the first time in my new rig.
Pull up at out first fishing spot - no knife - no pliers - and no tackle box.
One rod was rigged with a 10/0 and we were chasing squire in the bay!

Cheers Ryan.

Dirtysanchez
11-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Many years ago I was out just past the heads off Gosford in NSW and I saw this bloke come out in a 3.7mtr tinny with a 15 on the back, ambitious I say to my mate at the time.. Anyway, these guys were already on the turps, or more to the point, probably still on the turps from the night before. ::)

They dropped anchor, and when the rope slackened off, they threw the motor in reverse (tiller job) and the motor must not have been tightened on, because we heard a loud yell, a few choice words, then looked over to see this bloke hanging onto the tiller over the stern of the boat while his mate abused him.. then plonk, it was gone.. :o

So, a boat, anchored up about 2 miles offshore, and no motor. We told them to have a fish and hang on and we would tow them back, but they were panicking and demanding to be taken back ASAP. An older guy in a timber cruiser came by and threw them a rope. :-[

I didn't catch much that day, I was too busy chuckling to myself. ;D

WHALEOIL
11-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Remember to drop your outriggers when going under the Batemans bay bridge.

manny01
11-02-2008, 04:33 PM
hey guys
thought i would get out early to fish the reef at dawn. backed the boat down the ramp in the dark and after lots of pushing and wondreing what the @#% is goin on noticed the tie down strap still on. BUGGER
cheers ben