PDA

View Full Version : Links to Animal Rights Organizations on Ausfish

Mike Delisser
08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I just noticed the "say no to animals in pet shops" advertisement when I opened up Ausfish. I though that sounded pretty stupid, pet shops with no pets so I clicked on it to see what they're on about and discovered amongst their links & sponsors many extreamly anti fishing animal rights organizations including
Animal Aid
Animal Rights & Rescue Group
Animal Welfare League of Qld
Aust Animal Protection Society
Vic Animal Liberation
Organisation for respect & Compassion for Animals
Qld Animal Liberation
NSW Animal Liberation
Animal Welfare League
and including the dangerously radical Animal Activism Qld
My question is in these current times does Ausfish really need "THEIR" coin?
Cheers
Mike

Jackinthebox
08-02-2008, 05:50 PM
M62,

I don't think it's Steve's(Ausfish's) fault those ads are appearing. Many of the ads you see are dynamically served by a third party connection and the ads that appear depend on the content on the page. It's often just a bot that searches the page & trolls through it's list of adverts & displays the one it thinks is most relevant to that page.

Cheers,
Mick

Poodroo
08-02-2008, 06:57 PM
It's crazy really. People will always want pets so where else would you want to get a pet from apart from a Pet Shop? Animal Welfare League I hear you say? For the first time in my life I decided to weaken and adopt a kitten for my wife and kids from the Animal Welfare League and from day one it started to sneeze so we took it back. Two weeks on and several trips back and forth to their vet we are slowly but surely losing this kitten to cat flu. It happens I guess but let me say I have never had a sick pet ever from a pet shop or private seller. Apart from the kitten being sick with the cat flu there were umpteen dogs coming back with kennel cough and requiring treatment. All in all I think pet shops do a sterling job of keeping their animals comfortable, clean, and most of all healthy. I can also vouch for pet shops because I spent 9 years managing one and had a lot to do with other shops as well especially the leading ones. Pets when received in a pet shop always need to be wormed and vaccinated and free of fleas before being taken in. Once they arrive they get vet checked before the final nod of approval is given. I really don't know why animal liberation groups are so up in arms about pets in pet shops.

Poodroo

Mike Delisser
08-02-2008, 07:00 PM
M62,

It's often just a bot that searches the page & trolls through it's list of adverts & displays the one it thinks is most relevant to that page.

Cheers,
Mick

Fair enough
That must be why I keep seeing "LOVE BUTTON PUSH HARD" on pages concerning the Moreton Bay Draft Plan.;)
Cheers
Mike

RayDeR
08-02-2008, 07:40 PM
G'day!

The animal welfare mobs say that people should consider seriously before they buy a pet to make sure you really want it and you are getting a pet that suits you and your lifestyle.

Which mob use the "poor liitle puppy" and "cute little kitty" will be put down if you don't rescue it to sell their animals? The animal welfare mobs, of course.

Ray De R

Fafnir
08-02-2008, 08:59 PM
People will always want pets so where else would you want to get a pet from apart from a Pet Shop?

Animal welfare groups like PETA would actually prefer that nobody had pets full stop. So the more extreme end of the scale is anti pets, therefore anti pet shops.

As for links to animal rights websites, I don't see that it's any worse than having a link to Sunfish in the Links directory.

Far side
08-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Guys
Dont wory too much about the advertising it really is only effective if you take notice of it.
Ignore it and it means nothing

trapem
10-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Though it is important to protect the animal kingdom from abuse, some groups need to recognise the essence of the animal kingdom is to be a source of food.

Sure there are alternates and possibly being a vegitarian is to the liking of some.

But what would happen to all those peoples jobs who care about the animal kingdom if all hunting was stopped, and how many other industries & people would also suffer.

I believe Commercial fishing etc needs to be there for those who, in our community enjoy eating seafood but cant catch it (aged, infirmed etc.)

Recreational activities: fishing, horse riding, 4 x 4 etc are stress release for the workers, and the gun lobby should have their bullets supplied incase they they are called on in time of war.

Please "animal rights groups" a balance is needed, dont let emotion cloud a judgement, because if you get what you want, you may have to go back to hard labor:

I support RSPCA.

Trapem

RayDeR
10-02-2008, 07:42 AM
G'day Trapem!

I notice your support for the RSPCA. I do, too and at one time applied for a job with them.

When the RSPCA opened their petshop, World for Pets, at Springwood, they made a big thing that there would be no pets for sale there as they did not believe a pet shop was the environment to sell pets. I do not know if this policy still holds.

Ray De R

Scott nthQld
10-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I think their main gripe with pet shops is that now, a lot of them are promoting a new puppy, kitten, bird etc as impulse buys, giving puppies "new" names to make them appear cuter and therefore more desirable to certain people (usually girls, young and old), I mean I certainly don't want a big ball of fluff called a mopadoodle, or whatever they like to call their mixed breed mongrels these days, I want a real dog, a kelpie, collie, blue heeler, something along those lines.
Basically the more petshops market their pets as impulse buys just to get a sale, the more people will regret purchase, and start dumping them at the animal shelters, leading to more and more animals being out to sleep. I'm not say all petshops do this, but there are a couple in Townsville alone that use this method to sell their pets, and it is disheartening seeing a young woman pesting her boyfried etc to buy one because she thinks its cute, not because she wants a pet. puppies do grow up, and I think a lot of people still don't realise this.

disorderly
10-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I For the first time in my life I decided to weaken and adopt a kitten for my wife and kids from the Animal Welfare League

Poodroo

Just had a quick look at the AWL site and it stated that it was founded by people who were againt cruelty to animals.....strange then that they would be handing out cats then isn't it.
Probably one of the most environmentally destructive creatures to be bought to our shores(besides humans of course) and one, who nature includes killing all manner of other birds and animals solely for sport.

Scott

Mike Delisser
10-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Though it is important to protect the animal kingdom from abuse, some groups need to recognise the essence of the animal kingdom is to be a source of food.

Sure there are alternates and possibly being a vegitarian is to the liking of some.

But what would happen to all those peoples jobs who care about the animal kingdom if all hunting was stopped, and how many other industries & people would also suffer.

I believe Commercial fishing etc needs to be there for those who, in our community enjoy eating seafood but cant catch it (aged, infirmed etc.)

Recreational activities: fishing, horse riding, 4 x 4 etc are stress release for the workers, and the gun lobby should have their bullets supplied incase they they are called on in time of war.

Please "animal rights groups" a balance is needed, dont let emotion cloud a judgement, because if you get what you want, you may have to go back to hard labor:

I support RSPCA.

Trapem
Nothing wrong with the rspca mate, that's why I did't include them in the original post. I'm only weary of mobs that are anti fishing, anti meat, break into farms and let animals loose and generaly try to force their ideology on to others.
I used to be anti whaling untill those 2 clowns boarded the Jap ship, now I'm not that interested in their cause.
Cheers
Mike