PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolabah Bar Crossing-Tomorrow

No Fear
08-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi All,

I have heard on the fishing grapevine that there is a newly formed sandbar across the opening of the Mooloolabah harbour. Aparrently its only effecting the larger boats but plan on going out through it early tomorrow morning so was wondering if anyone has any info regarding this.....

Also anyone planning on heading out tomorrow!!!???

seatime
08-02-2008, 04:00 PM
there's this notice about the entrance, hope it helps.

QUEENSLAND
NOTICE TO MARINERS

073 (Temporary) of 2008

BRISBANE PILOTAGE AREA

LOCALITY: MOOLOOLAH RIVER ENTRANCE
ACTIVITY: SILTATION TO THE RIVER ENTRANCE - REDUCED DEPTH

Mariners are advised that a shoaling patch has formed across the entrance to the Mooloolah
River. The patch extends due west from the head of the eastern breakwater light in position
latitude 26° 40.7506' S, longitude 153° 07.9588' E across the channel with depths of 2.0m close
to the breakwater to 2.4m on it's western extremity.
The Harbour Master has declared the depth on the entrance as 2.1m.
Mariners are advised to navigate the area with caution. Deeper draft vessels are to make best use
of tides and the deeper water on the western side of the channel.

Cancel Notice: 005(T) of 2008
AUS Charts Affected: 235
Maritime Safety Queensland Charts Affected: Moreton Bay – Manly to Mooloolaba (MB1)
Maritime Safety Queensland Beacon to Beacon Directory (7th Edition) map 48

NOTE: Latitude and longitude positions on WGS84 horizontal datum (compatible with GDA94 datum).

For further information about this Notice, please contact:

The Brisbane Regional Harbour Master’s office on 07 3860 3500.

Authorised by: DIRECTOR (MARITIME SERVICES)
Issued: Brisbane 1 February 2008

BLOOEY
08-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Gday no fear, Yep heading out tomorrow. Had a look on the surf cam and it zooms right in on the bar. Looks as though the odd wave is breaking across. The swell is forcast to drop this afternoon though. Hope you get a few. Ben

-spiro-
08-02-2008, 11:43 PM
it wasn't a problem at new years when they said the same thing.

Dignity
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
No Fear - should be OK for you - was going to go out myself but bringing the old mans magna back lto brisbane last night to try and trade it in as he cant drive anymore and the the bloody auto transmission died just after it went through the toll gates ( didn't appreciate the officious pr**k from Gateway Motorways with his loud hailing comments "please return to your car there is no stoppping on the this section of the motorway" - at least least 6 times - guess he had blinkers on.)
As you say only affects the puff boys and the really big boats out there.

Anyone know a good auto transmission repair guy southside near calamvale???

Raddish
23-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Since yesterday morning ( Friday 22nd Feb) I have seen 3 vessels run aground on the sand bar on the eastern side of the Mooloolaba River mouth.
1 x yacht Friday 6am
1 x trawler at around 5.30pm
1 x trawler at 5.30am this morning.

These incidents coincided with the lower tides of the day.

Cannot see any sign of a marker bouy having been placed there to indicate the position of the sand bar and I am suprised that the 'local' trawler skippers don't seem to know about it or perhaps they presumed that it was no longer an issue.

Vindicator
23-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Went through there yesterday, and bloody hell you gotta be careful. had to wait for a set to pass in the morning and just gunned it only to look down at the sounder saying .5m. Coming back in at about 3.00pm rode in on the back of a wave with plenty of water underneath me only to have another wave form behind me and suck all the water out from underneath us, and caught a brief glimpse of sand. Gunned it and got through it but could have turned pear shaped so easily. Doesn't matter what size boat at the moment big or little you gotta be careful.

Cheers
Kezza

flyfisho
23-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Yep I agree , we crossed it an hour / or two from low tide and she was very shallow we saw sand as well , It's hard to see coming in but you need to hug the western wall , you should be able to see it on the way out .

insideout
23-02-2008, 05:00 PM
forgive my ignorance, but with all you people using that entrance/ exit, whos responsible for dredging that area( or is there one there at all?)

Smithy
23-02-2008, 08:08 PM
You wouldn't have been hugging the west wall when I went out. Timing your sets and 45 degree across them was the only way I could see. Other tides or different swell height I have either been piggy backing them in or doing the west wall and out into the bay scenario. Every day and tide seems to be different. Seems worse than when they used to have the markers out the last time it silted up.

I guess ultimately the Dept. of Transport must organise the dredging. Last time they waited a fair while before doing anything.

TCSunCoast
23-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Take your time, sit there and see whats going on. If i doubt or you caught on the way out turf left and run with them into the bay.

In saying that the swell dropped right off this arvo.

SunnyCoastMark
24-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey Guys,
Went out through there yesterday arvo - on the low tide my sounder showed 1.4m.

That was going right through the middle - then having t do a sharp right turn to get over a set that was almost breaking.

Mark