PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to bulldoze a sand dune to improve the view?

nofrills
08-02-2008, 09:10 AM
It is if you are the caboolture shire council,

Im such a slow typer it would take me all day to quote the story out of todays northern times and if somebody else can please do.

the basic story is the council has voted to cut up to 2m off the top of a 86m section of Woorim beach.Its been approved but the EPA They say 75% of woorim locals support the move.''OF COURSE THEY DO THEIR PROPERTY VALUES WILL SKYROCKET WITH THE OCEAN VIEWS''.

A council spokesman said ''It would create a more stable dune profile which would allow plants to establish and would allow''BETTER VISUAL ACCESS''
the northern times.

There are plants their allready mind you its just that they block the view.I hope they dont forget to put their signs back up to remind me not to walk on the dunes so i dont halm the vegetation::) .

Unbloody believeable
Scotty

Peter4
08-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Once again the almighty dollar rules rather than common sense and caring for the environment.

Perhaps someone should tell the EPA and the dunes could also be made a Green Zone!!

PADDLES
08-02-2008, 09:20 AM
no, it's freakin' not! i can't believe that they are still going ahead with this. erosion has been the number one enemy of woorim for years and now they have decided to chop the tops off that dune to "improve the view" the corrupt b@st@rds. it's been on the drawing board for a while but i saw the story in the local rag yesterday that they've (caboolture council) approved it. why doesn't the epa have anything to say about this?

Chimo
08-02-2008, 09:38 AM
What is the current dune cross sectional profile?

Has a disclimax situation been reached or is the whole thing unstable and mobile?

Has it a sharp or a broad wide peak?

How far to the high tide point?

How wide is the dunal reserve?

What vegetation is present:-
on the foredune, ie beach side
on the crest and top and
on the land side?

This link might be useful for some too? http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrencm.nsf/childdocs/-E29B03DC67EBB9274A25689E00030035?open

Cheers
Chimo

Scott nthQld
08-02-2008, 10:01 AM
That just a load of bull. You can see what Caboolture Coucil has thei minds set on....money! 1 Bloke just north of townsville tried this a couple of years ago and got done, a whopping great fine and he had to foot the bill for reconstrucion and re planting of the dunes. I wonder now, because of the iminent erosion (a direct result of doing this mind you), what will the EPA say when any inshore reefs, rocks get all silted up, who will be to blame? The answer is simple, who are they blaming now for habitat degridation, poor water quality.....US! The fishermen will bare the full brunt when this all turns sour and even more zoning will occur because of their lack of foresight. It would be wise for someone to keep originals and copies of any documentation, be it articles, environment impact reports, anything we can get our hands on so when the EPA decides to close more fishing areas down, the fisho's will have direct proof that the Councils and EPA have no regard for the environment, so how can they tell us how to use it?

Jackinthebox
08-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I wonder how many councillors own property adjacent to this site?

Little grey men
08-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Doesn't make sense, I had always thought that the dunes were a fragile ecosystem in themselves. Very important to look after them...obviously not quite as imortant as looking after property prices hey ?
I'm constantly amazed and sickened how the EPA can bend and twist the rules to suit themselvelves and their toff nosed buddies.:P BLAH !!!!

Tim_N
08-02-2008, 11:45 AM
But if the EPA says it's okay, then it must be, right.................???????????????

hungry6
08-02-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm ging to keep this short and simple
2 Sullivans
one is a state MP
one is a Federal MP

now go and join the dots.

PADDLES
08-02-2008, 01:01 PM
and ya know what hungry, they're in the labour party that gets preferences from the greens, kinda ironic isn't it?????????????

Poodroo
08-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Well sand dunes play such a vital role to the environment that if you get caught on Fraser Island parking your 4wd on a dune just see what happens when the rangers catch you doing it. EPA have no clue as to what is right or wrong as far as environmental impact is concerned and if they do they are not displaying any common sense.

Poodroo

FNQCairns
08-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Corruption must be be a-foot yet again! is the the long singular dune that runs more or less from car park south near pub to car park North beach access one (was dirt), been 15 years since I have been there.

It held good vegetation back then.

cheers fnq

Xahn1960
08-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Corruption and councils go hand in hand but newspapers are also known to stir up strife with little or no facts...... Has anybody actually asked the council what they are doing and why ??? Also I would be surprised if they would act without an enviromental impact study, if they did then it reeks of corruption....

Bill

PADDLES
08-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Bill, it's all approved and they obviously must have the necessary government go-aheads, but as poodroo has said earlier you can go 3km north of this dune and if you park or drive on the dunes you will cop a fine. i can't understand it.

PinHead
08-02-2008, 03:03 PM
who cares..they have already destroyed enough vegetation with the canal estates on the island and the mainland..what is another piece of destruction between pollies.

Xahn1960
08-02-2008, 03:04 PM
All approved? In that case its probably time to shine the spotlight into a few dark corners and see what low lifes duck for cover..... Sounds a lot like the rules are only in place for those of us lacking the position or clout to ignore them.

Bill.

Bros
08-02-2008, 03:37 PM
EPA saying yes.

I think that is one for the record as their answer is usually procrastinate, look into it, say no or close it.

Brumby
08-02-2008, 03:48 PM
who cares..they have already destroyed enough vegetation with the canal estates on the island and the mainland..what is another piece of destruction between pollies.

Dunno about that, it's about drawing a line in the sand and saying so far and no further. We'd be in deep dwang if everyone rolled over just because there were other historical problems about the place.

hungry6
08-02-2008, 04:05 PM
And you know what, you cant even refer the matter to the CMC. This department was supposedly to be impartial to all politic and public pressure, but in recent years the results that have flowed from there does have a stench..
In year to come, ppls can quote me on this ,
I have no doubt over 1/2 dozen of the current MPs will be doing their stints behind bars, when there is a change of govt, and the dirty laundry gets aired..

Xahn1960
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Has there been any attempt to take the council to task, or stop them at all ? Is the spot signifcant or are people just peeved that someone was able to pull strings to thier own advantage. Honesty in politics is like a myth, you might believe its true but you'll have a hard time poving it.

Bill.

Luc
08-02-2008, 06:26 PM
EPA saying yes.
I think that is one for the record as their answer is usually procrastinate, look into it, say no or close it.

Ahh but maybe, they've applied for a permit and paid the fee :o

Luc

Wahoo
08-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I wonder how many councillors own property adjacent to this site?

you hit the nail on the head there Jack

Daz

nigelr
08-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a job for Sixty Minutes.
Cheers.

RayDeR
08-02-2008, 08:00 PM
G'day!

The EPA took advice from the Greenies and banned fishing on the dunes to preserve the foreshore!

Ray De R

Dezzer
08-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Parts of CSC's Woorim Beach Master Plan with reference to sand dunes and some articles opposed to the scheme. The bottom link (HISTORIC PERSPECTIVE - WOORIM BEACH DUNE LOWERING PROJECT) is an interesting read.

http://caboolture.qld.gov.au/uploadedFiles/council/publications/Woorim%20Master%20Plan%20-%205%20Planting%20Design.pdf

http://www.caboolture.qld.gov.au/uploadedFiles/council/publications/Woorim%20Master%20Plan%20-%203%20Master%20Plan%20Strategies.pdf

http://bayjournal.com.au/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1131&Itemid=1

http://bayjournal.com.au/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1030&Itemid=43

http://www.woorimbeach.com/Woorim%20Dune%20Lowering%2007%2001%2008.doc

Chookman
08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
nofrills ..it's a bit like them [epa]wanting to green zone all the banks out the front of bribie but dredging the crap out of it a bit south of the banks for sand for the new port..greenzoned quarry's??? ...different rules for different people

Cheers Chookman

choppa
08-02-2008, 09:57 PM
you think they will include the woolworths site,,, and a bit of worthless vegetation for me as well????

i could do with a change of scenery from the pool deck,,,

correct me if i'm wrong,,, but aren't we,,,(taxpayers),,, also footing the bill for this,,, i know its not coming out of surplus

choppa

bondy99
09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I've spent close to 5 years at Uni studying various topics and been out in the field obtaining hard data to back up my research. Sand dunes play an important role and function, (I wont go into specifics) and do have there own benthic communities, just need a microscope to see it and maybe at the nano stage.

It does not matter what shape they are, crest, arc, left to right, parabol etc (they are shaped by wind influence), Typical EPA arrogance and vested developers (some local government members have an interest), hence the corruption, conflict of interest etc and lots of behind closed doors meetings (you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours - the days of graft corruption but with a different twist).

There have been many valid points raised by ausfish members, and yes most likely to get the extra dollar at the expense of nature. The dunes were probably stabilised, maybe 95.7%, there will always be movement and encroachment. look at Fraser Island, dunes are stabilised to a degree but will still move due to wind, rain shaping and contouring continually.

If they wanted an ocean view then why buy an area that they knew would not have one (costs obviously) and thats what one pays for these days. Location and proximity to the ocean. Views, that reminds me of a building I visited in Bondi Junction (Eastern Suburbs of Sydney) 15 stories high. ground floor was $175,000.00 approx, top floor was $2,000,000.00 approx. 1986 prices. Each room and level was identical, the only thing that put the price up was views, yep, the higher you go and the more views you have, the higher the price.

My thoughts on it, hope the building collapsed. My thoughts with clearing sand dunes, hope the buggars get sand blasted and buried in sand drift as the centre of gravity and centre of balance would be disturbed and will take a while to stabilise. The EPA has no real balls as its butter comes from government coffers which are unfortunately the developers. That's my spin.

If EPA and Government was serious then a wide buffer zone would have been applied as to where to build in relation to coastal areas with strict enforcement of these codes. The various acts and policies they have are just recommended guidelines, that's it, 'a guide' only. I'm sure I'll stir up this topic.

reelemin1974
09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
All I hope is there is not tsunami!!!! At least they would have a good view of their lives coming to an end!!!

bondy99
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
All I hope is there is not tsunami!!!! At least they would have a good view of their lives coming to an end!!!

Reelemin1974,

Interesting concept, that would give them a view to see.

Nicko
27-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I hate this news! God-damn hooligans raping the land.