PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up Tachometers

Poodroo
08-02-2008, 08:35 AM
G'day all,
When I purchased the new boat I have to admit that I was at least expecting some kind of minimal instrumentation but never thought to ask about it prior to delivery. The golden rule is never assume anything because I found out the hard way that small runabouts come with absolutely no instrumentation, not even a 27 meg radio. After great expense I had the dealer install a 27 meg radio after I took delivery of the boat and was kind of shocked at how much was charged for the privilege but it is a small price to pay for that added safety when out in any vessel.
Now that I have the boat I was wondering what would be the options of installing a tachometer. Is it something that is easy to wire up or best left to the experts? Do we have any Ausfish members out there who know a bit about putting them in? I didn't really want to go back to the dealer for a job like this after finding out how expensive it was to put a radio in but will go back there if this is my only option. Thanks,

Poodroo

Melec
08-02-2008, 09:20 AM
G`DAY mate i might be able to help but need more info . type of motor fwd or tiller ?

Jackinthebox
08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Hiya Poodroo,

most boat electonics are pretty easy to install if you get a few tips, when I used to work at "you know where", to install a radio (main unit, aerial & mike) we would get paid piece rate of about 20 minutes. Not much bloody time to cut the holes, fiddle with the screws, run the leads & aerial cord, crimp & tie it all up, test, etc. Piece rate was about $8. And i know how much the dealer probably charged you too!

Tacho depends on your engine set up, just a couple more wires. The tachos i used to connect up were wired into a smartcraft(merc) or yammy equivalent type of plug which you may need to get. Wiring up from scratch, it's a bit fuzzy for me now but i'm sure there's plenty of guys on here who can help you. The boat rally would be a good chance to get someone to look at it i reckon.

Cheers,
Mick.

Poodroo
09-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. The motor is a brand new 40 hp Mercury and it is a forward steer with full power trim and tilt.
Thanks,

Poodroo

MyEscape
10-02-2008, 05:44 AM
That's agood question Poo. Are you going for a factory tacho or is there aftermarket stuff available.

I'm actually waiting for delivery on a Seajay Escape X with a 40hp Yamaha oil injected tiller steer with electric start and trim/tilt.

Thought about a tacho, but decided on an hour meter which sits under the cowl (hour meter is $114.00). Just thought the hour meter might be handy in the long run than the tacho. And also thought get the meter installed before delivery so I know the hours it does/has done from new.

Steve

Poodroo
10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
That's agood question Poo. Are you going for a factory tacho or is there aftermarket stuff available.

I'm actually waiting for delivery on a Seajay Escape X with a 40hp Yamaha oil injected tiller steer with electric start and trim/tilt.

Thought about a tacho, but decided on an hour meter which sits under the cowl (hour meter is $114.00). Just thought the hour meter might be handy in the long run than the tacho. And also thought get the meter installed before delivery so I know the hours it does/has done from new.

Steve

Steve if I knew that a tacho was not part of the deal I would have made it part of the deal. I guess this being my first brand new boat that I didn't think of all of those things to ask. Mate if you are still waiting for your new boat I would spend that little bit more to get a factory fitted tacho. It would certainly help you with your run in period by knowing how many RPM's you are doing.

Regards,

Poodroo

MyEscape
11-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Good point Poo, I might see what the cost of one is. Most of the time my dealer will fit the extras on a new boat without fitting costs so I might see about this.

I still my idea of the hour meter is a good one. Have you got one on yours/ Actually what instruments did you get?

Steve

Poodroo
11-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Good point Poo, I might see what the cost of one is. Most of the time my dealer will fit the extras on a new boat without fitting costs so I might see about this.

I still my idea of the hour meter is a good one. Have you got one on yours/ Actually what instruments did you get?

Steve

Steve the unfortunate thing about being new to boating like I am having never purchased a new boat before is that I am at the mercy of those in the know and in this case the sales people at the boating yard. They have a fantastic reputation but the one thing I can say now having come from a sales background myself is that these guys fail in the sales department. Two words.... "ADD ONS!" Every sale in every industry can do so much better if the add on sales are promoted. These guys had a big opportunity with me to plug the add on sales but didn't. If they had of told me the boat as standard did not include any guages, radios etc I would have put them in. I would have gone for the hour meter, tachometer, and 27 meg radio. I got none of that and through great expense went back to have the radio fitted and got charged heaps of labour for what apparently is less than a 20 minute job. Considering I spent all the money and gave them the sale I would have thought they would look after me a little better than that. Will whisper in their ears when I return for the first service.

Poodroo

Melec
11-02-2008, 03:51 PM
G`day mate. You will find a tacho impulse wire is in your harness as well as whatever else you need to make it work . I think its probably a gray wire and purple is ignition black is earth . Aftermarket tacho is alright and will cost about 165 dollerous.

Spaniard_King
11-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Guys if you lookm around a lot of tacho's now come with hour meters in them (ie digital hour meter in analog tacho) I know faria make them :)

Poodroo
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
G`day mate. You will find a tacho impulse wire is in your harness as well as whatever else you need to make it work . I think its probably a gray wire and purple is ignition black is earth . Aftermarket tacho is alright and will cost about 165 dollerous.
Hey I am glad you mentioned this because I was cleaning out the boat after the boat rally yesterday and happened to be laying under the dash and found to wires leading to nothing. They are rounded end connections, the types that you simply slip over two terminals on the back of a tacho. These might be just what they are for perhaps? Will find out from the dealer. Cheers,

Poodroo

Nog
14-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Mate, if cost is an issue, then getting stuff from the US is heaps cheaper. just know EXACTLY the part number you need and go from there. I shop at "captainsurplus" on e-bay. Great service and cheap. Given that they even import all their stuff from Japan I wonder where the extra 100% mark-up is going?