PDA

View Full Version : SS vs ALUM Prop

fender22
07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Bought a new SS prop for my 135 merc today. The old ally prop was missing chunks, been panel beaten several times and generally horrible. I'm very happy with the performance of the boat though and it's the only prop I've had on it so I don't know any better.

I wanted a new prop, even though my mechanic said it wouldn't really make a lot of difference and was a bit wary of SS, thinking I'd be safer hitting something with an Ally prop (as I do!). Anyway, I read that all props have a rubber bush which will strip if any thing is hit.

Spoke to my mechanic again today and he reckons as far as hitting things you are better off with Aluminum. His words were I'd rather be replacing a prop than a gear box! Whats the general concensus here? I was surprised he didn't see a need for a new prop based on the condition of the old one?... the one I have is really bad! Theres a bit (about a cm) knocked off the end of one blade, dings and nicks in the others, bent in places. I would think the prop would run unbalanced at best in that condition. I know in the past I have filed even smalls nicks out off props and made a noticeable difference in performance.

tunaticer
07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
There are poly segmented props available that are more for the guy that regularly checks the depth with the motor. Good thing about them is blades can be replaced as needed quickly and cheaply compared to an ally or stainless prop. They are suitable for big motors as well and come in a range of pitches and diameters and hub styles.

You can get your old prop reconditioned easily enough for a price......depends on how much you wish to spend.

My next prop will be a poly one I think.

Jack.

Dan5
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I have tried the poly prop's on a 50hp yammie,they wear exedingly quickly and are expensive,at about $55 per blade they are not really economically viable in my opinion.We were using the boat's in shallow water with lot's of mangrove mud and sand we found far better life out of ally one's.The cost of the hub was around $250 the replacement ally was under $200.Dan......

freddofrog
08-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I had two decent chips taken out of 2 blades of my new ally props. Cost me $100 to get it repaired but cheaper than the gear box.

ozscott
08-02-2008, 01:28 PM
After years of alloy on smaller motors and constant nicks and bends and bits out of them (and even wear over time evenly) I have had a stainless prop on my 115 Yammy for a couple of years and love it - no nicks, no wear to see and no blade flex - no cavitation no matter how hard I turn with the motor trimmed properly

In smaller older outboards the shear pin would stop gearbox damage and in larger outboards there is the rubber shear hub - dont these shear before the gearbox is damaged...hence stainless is no more likely to damage the box?

Cheeers

fender22
09-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Well happy to report the SS prop was a success. Went for a belt over to Peel this morning, water like glass and motor smooth as. Not sure if the performance is any better or not but was doing around 55kmp at 4000rpm with plenty let to go on a heavy 19ft boat so happy as! THe motor seemed a lot smoother, obviously due to a much better balanced prop. Thanks for all the response

black runner
09-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Fender,

What type of boat is that in your avatar? I love that style of cabin boat.

Glad that prop went well.

Cheers - Fred

Spaniard_King
09-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Dont matter what to use on inshore boat... definately Stainless for offshore .. gearboxes only break if your an idiot and don't look where ya goin. Takes a lot more than you think to break a gearbox. and besides if you hit an under water object and smash a gearbox you should be checking your insurance policy